PDA

View Full Version : american flag in menu bar won't go away

noises
May 8, 2003, 04:29 AM
please can somebody help me to remove the american flag in my menu bar??

i'm not american & have come to detest much of what that flag represents. it's a small thing, but...

i have a japanese keyboard attached to my imac running os x.2.5 & so need to use the american (roman) settings under system preferences > international > input method.

i untick every other input method & the flag goes away. fine. except when i restart, the bloody flag is back again. so back to system preferences > international > input method & the british flag is ticked along with the american one. why?

i made the switch in jan & i still feel like a complete newbie. any help would be much appreciated.

peterjhill
May 8, 2003, 05:40 AM
Go to system preferences: International, input methods. If you have more than two items checked, whichever active set is used will have the flag show up. If you need two, it will be difficult to remove the flag, you can manually change it instead of using the menu and deselect the other keyboards.

bryng
May 8, 2003, 06:34 AM
I've had a similar problem, on and off, on my iBook 800. I ended up fixing some errors with the file system on my hard disk, and it seems to have improved things.

Don't know if that's your issue - try running the disk utility and get it to check your boot disk.

noises
May 8, 2003, 09:08 AM
i'd appreciate some more help from bryng...

as i said, every time i start up my imac the flag is there even though i've deselected all other input methods before shut down. this happens every day. can anybody tell me why?

I ended up fixing some errors with the file system on my hard disk, and it seems to have improved things.

can somebody please elaborate. again, i'm a newbie & don't yet know my tit from my arse when it comes to system files.

goodnight from japan.

noises
May 8, 2003, 09:13 AM
in reply to peterjhill, i neither need nor use 2 input methods, yet my imac seems to want to be both british & american.

Rower_CPU
May 8, 2003, 10:23 AM
Keep the discussion on-topic people. The off-topic posts have been deleted.

noise, if you need to have Roman input you'll need one of them enabled. I'm assuming you installed the English localized version of Mac OS X and it probably needs to have at least one Roman IME in the menu. Try leaving the British and unchecking the American.

caveman_uk
May 8, 2003, 10:28 AM
In deference to the moderator I have deleted this message

Foxer
May 8, 2003, 10:42 AM
I apologize too. Although my rant was very eloquent.

Why wasn't the offensive comment in the original post deleted as well?

Giaguara
May 8, 2003, 01:36 PM
i use normally the italian pro keyboard .. simply because i have that on my 'book. but for coding i change it to US, and sometimes need the charachter palette...

if you untick US and leave British keyboard, it'll help you get rid of that flag. or australo-english. or ANY roman keyboard will probably do (but i imagine you are most used to the locations in US one). try some of them.

as i have permanently 3 input modes = ita pro, us and charachter map, that means i have always this stupid icon there. look, it's even uglier than the us flag...

elfin buddy
May 8, 2003, 02:03 PM
If I remember correctly, wasn't it possible to edit the keyboard character sets in OS 9 with ResEdit or something? Does anyone know if that's possible in OS X?

Being Canadian, I would rather have the Canadian flag in my menu bar, but then I would always have to use the Canadian character set. I have no real beef with the American flag being flown in my menu bar, as my iMac is an American-designed machine.

I frequently use three different sets, but would like for a way to combine the best of all three worlds. I have many french friends (friends who speak french, but not english), so I often find myself switching between US, Canadian, and French sets because each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

For example, it is difficult or impossible to make accented characters with the US setting (I know it's possible to make some, but they aren't the ones I need to use). The Canadian setting is good, except that it doesn't match the keyboard and it is amazingly hard to make an apostrophe (???). The French set is more of a last resort if the Canadian set falls short in some area.

It's kinda inconveinient to keep switching every few days, but that's ok :)

Pismo
May 8, 2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by noises
i'm not american & have come to detest much of what that flag represents. it's a small thing, but...

What's your problem? Not very wise to come onto an American forum and say stuff like that. I'll stop here before I really get going...

MarksEvilTwin
May 8, 2003, 03:56 PM
My apologies for my earlier post, but when someone's reply to another's distaste for american action and policy is "are you a terrorist?" that response is just asking for trouble...geez, what has this world come to?

My apologies, i should have expresses my feelings in a private message, not on the board itself

Mark

kansaigaijin
May 8, 2003, 04:27 PM
it is an Apple computer rumor and news forum, where does it say it is an american forum?

I don't want the flag of another country on my memory bar, for any reason, other than it is not my flag.

but it seems if you want more than one character set, you got to live with someone elses flag.

iconrad
May 8, 2003, 04:56 PM
I find if you go to "International" in the contorl panel and then to Input Menu click on what ever keyboard you need, and then up check the american flag. If you do this your flag should appear in the menu ber.

On a side note, if you hate The United States so much then what are you doing with a computer made by an American computer manufacture? - True most of the parts are made overseas, but the profits go to Americans. - just a thought

hvfsl
May 8, 2003, 05:11 PM
I am British but I am getting fed up with this anti-Americanism. I like Japan, but if you went to China and showed off a Japanesse flag, the people would probably burn it because of the mass killing of the Chinesse people by the Japanesse in WW2. Every country on earth has done at least one bad thing in history and Japan is no different. So you may not want the flag on your computer, but you are just being racist if you dont want it because of what it stands for. Since not all Americans are the same.