Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
According to http://www.maczones.com and several other websites, including Apple, the current line of LCD monitors consisting of 15, 17 and 22 inch displays has a price drop of up to $500 when purchased with a new Power Mac.

My questions are:
(1) When will we see new monitors?
(2) What are their specs (i. e. size, price)
(3) How is this affected by the raising price of LCD screens? http://news.com.com/2100-1040-843455.html

(4) What would you like to see in a new monitor?

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Well I'd like to see this.

17" LCD, £350 - £400
20 " 16:9 widescreen LCD, £600
24 " 16:9 widescreen LCD, £900

Also I'd like to see each model have VGA ports in addition to the ADC so it's not a hassle to use them as a second display with ANY of the current G4s or as a display with any other Mac or PC. obviously I'd expect to pay extra for an external powersupply but not stupid prices like ADC convert boxes cost right now.

The reason I believe the 17" LCD should be the entry level and so cheap is this, the high end iMac wastes the entry level G4 for features, why shouldn't you be able to buy a G4 tower with LCD monitor for only a few hundred more than the high end iMac ? You can't have a tower with a superdrive and LCD for anything like the cost of the iMac so there should be some price/performance compromise.

Also, even though the LCD prices have increased (apparently), you can still buy a 17" LCD from lesser brands than apple for £350 and that's one that will plug into anything, apple shouldn't charge too much for the entry level LCD so it encourages people to buy one with a new system.

just my idea of what they should do, I imagine the spec and prices are going to be way different from what I want but there's no harm in wishing is there, I'd rather buy an Apple LCD while I'm still using my G3 then I can get some use of it before I buy a G4 tower and have to shove my tacky beige diamondtron monitor on my desk with such a stylish system.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I've been hoping for quite some time now that they would drop the 15", and add something in the 19" - 20" range, with prices cuts all around. Now they have a couple of reasons to do this:
1) The new imacs are a huge hit, and they can barely keep up with. Why split the supplies of 15" LCDs between the standalone monitors and the iMacs? Better to play it safe and ensure your LCD supplies.
2) Like barkmonster said, the PowerMacs need something to differentiate them more from the iMac. A larger monitor is a good start, so move to 17" for the low end.
3) People always complain about the high prices of Apple's gear. I'm begging you Apple: Please, please, please give the PC whiners one less thing to talk about by making your stuff comparably priced...forgo the markup for the sake of larger market share!
4) The huge jump in size and cost between the 17" and 22" just begs for an intermediate option.

Anyway, I'm praying for a product line something like this:

17" - $600-$700
19"-20" - $1000-$1200
22" - $1500-$1600

I only hope we see these soon, because when I get a G5, I soooooooo want to get the 22", but no way could I afford $2500 for it. A selfish reason, but common among many customers.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Rower: I think you predictions are echoed by many people. We have all been begging for that 19" for a long time. The 17" is huge but i agree that it should be entry level since the imac has a 15". We heard a pretty credible rumor a few days ago about new monitors, but all we got was a codename and no date other than probably not in March. Some people are even specualting about monitors larger than the 22". I suppose this is just for bragging rights so apple would have the largest lcd.

there was another thread discussing the actual design. im wondering what you guys are thinking now about this. A lot of people want their monitors to hover in mid air just like the imacs but cant figure out how to do this without the 20lb imac base. It would be nice to have monitors that were easily adjustable to any eyelevel. i think i would be perfectly happy if apple didnt touch the prices or sizes if they just found a way to give us that.

Im planning on buying a tower in summer/fall of 2003 and am hoping the revb g5s will be out by then (now im wondering if the rev as will be out by then). it would be nice to have a beautiful 20" widescreen to go with it.

OSUbuckeyefan

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2001
I think we will see the new line up of monitors with the introduction of the G5 (MWNY 2002). I think at that time the 15' will be dropped and a 19' and 24' or 25' will be introduced.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2001
NY
New monitors

I think the new monitors will conincide with the colors on the new PowerMac's G5. I think the new powermacs will be black, or some form of black. I think Apple is going in the Black-Pro, White-Consumer. That's my idea.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
:) sorry i dont like posting so soon after one of my own posts but you made me smle macmaniac. im sitting here on my black powerbook of years gone by. there is another thread where the mention of a black Tipowerbook got very heated. people screaming at eachother that black was out or tacky. pretty ridiculous stuff. i agree i cant imagine what a black powermac might look like images of some pretty nasty black pcs come to mind, but i think we all know apple can make nearly any color scheme work (i say nearly because of the whole flowerpower/dalmation fiasco).

i just had a conversation with a friend about how bad black desktops look. it woudl be nice to see apple show everyone how it is done. still it kinda looks like everything is going white. but with all that stark white it would be nice to see some black powerbooks and powermacs for some contrast (maybe i wouldnt feel like i was in an asylum everytime i walked into a computer lab).

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
what makes you think its going to be black for the proline? is this just your idea? no fact to support it right? just cheacking. why cant it be grey anymore? well if it is black...im sure it will be a cool black! apple does groove like that with thier colors!!!

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
The problem in desing with black color is that acumulate too much dust. Look at the cars for example, a white car looks clean for weeks, a black car look dirty in one day.

For a desktop device you have to use a color lighter than the color of dust.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Black

I think Apple couls totally pull black off. I just doubt they will, considering their current color scheme. Its a huge jump from their current ivory/translucent plastic look to go straight to black. But, dont put it past them..... Apple will certainly release somethin cool.

As far as the LCD monitors go......Four words.

Drop the freakin' prices.

Its a joke when the monitor costs more than the computer. 2500 for the cinema display? Puh-leese. I KNOW--its awesome, and I know its costly to produce....but so are powermacs and they can be bought cheaper than 2500.00 bucks.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
As far as colors go...

It looks to me like they're holding strong to the white consumer and silver professional paradigm.
I'd be happy to see displays that match the Quicksilvers a little better than the Graphite scheme they have now.

The one nice thing about SJ being a tyrant about simple and consistent aesthetics is that any change in one of the product lines usually signals a similar change in its counterpart (TiBook first, then Quicksilver; iBook, then new iMac).

BlowJobBilly

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2002
apple black is not pc-black, it will maybe rather look like the apple pro mouse, wich is very cool, transparent, shiny.

i hope it will be a sleek, minimal, high-end monolith supercomputer with new monitors that support also a resolution of 1600x1200 and higher.

lets pray for it to come out by mwny

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
how does transparent metalic chrome/silver sound? the current pro line is silver but it is a matte silver ...what makes it shiny is the plastic over it...i believe. i wonder if it would look cool if they would make it chrome with that shiny plastic over it. kinda like glass over a shinny chrome hub cap. does this sound like it would be tacky?

im just wondering here.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I don't think it makes sense to drop the 22" from the lineup as some people here are suggesting.

I think there needs to be a 19" model, and something bigger than the 22", say a 25" or so. I also think Apple needs to keep the 17", for those who don't have an endless supply of money.

As for price, it'd be sweet if they were dirt cheap. But that wont happen :(. Perhaps the 25" could replace the 22" at the same price, and everything goes down from there.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
How about a G5 with a clear case and neon lights inside with your choice of color. AND a 19" TiLCD

iMax

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2002
SF Bay Area
if they do up the monitor size, I doubt very much that they will increase the resolution... I think I read a while ago on another forum that the current 22" LCD almost maxes out the signal that the ADC can carry... so they couldn't increase resolution.... I think it's more likely that we'll see a 19" in the near future, with price drops.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Think on this:

Apple has agreements with both Sony and IBM. Sony makes Wega. IBM makes the highest definition LCD ever made. The IBM monitors may very well use different "motherglass" and as such may not get hosed for cost. We know Apple purchased an LCD plant last year.

How about a line of Apple LCD's in 17", 19", and 24", all in 16:9 ratio. Use the IBM LCD and Sony's backlighting tech from Wega. Deck it out like a silver backed, matte black fronted iMac screen minus the neck/base assembly. Optional Lacie style hood. Colorsync.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Mischief: id love to see that happen. i think ive talked about sony's and ibm's monitors often as being the future of computing. but i dont think we are going to get there soon.

the ibm monitor costs well of 10k. although i suppose maybe they could use some of the tech in it but not make it quite so amazing and still have a cool monitor.

id really like to see apple use the sony tech that allows you to use an lcd screen outside by using reflective sunlight to boost screen brightness.

i spend a fair amount of my time in the field and it would be nice not to have to squint at my lcd screen all the time.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Chrome Baby!

No black apples, that's been done by Steve before. (See for example, the old black powerbooks and the Next computers). Hey steve, if you're listening... Chrome baby, just like the tailpipes on my Hawg! You can't go wrong with Chrome.

White for normal people.
Chrome for professionals.

Apple could do a joint advertising campaign with Harley, and suddenly, you'd have tons of HD leatherclad people buying apple products and chumming around with all the vegitarian, VW drivin, granola types who already own apples.

(Before you flame me for saying Apple owners are veggies and drive VW's, I'm only kidding! Relax!)

M

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
The new PowerMacs will be black, and the entry level will be white.

you have it wrong there whoever wrote that. Apple's consumer models are white and the Pro things are still going to be silver. Why would Apple want to make a laptop that is not Silver colored?
My prediction is that the consumer stuff will still be white, and the pro stuff will still be silver.

There is an exception. The iPod is silver and white, so that must mean that the next iPod will be all silver, because it will be more pro than the current one.;) :cool:

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Granola.... Yum. :)

Wow. I own a 2000 VW Jetta, a 2000 G4 MP, a 2001 TiBook and I love vegetarian food. As a matter of fact, my arteries are thanking me for not clogging them full of fatty meats like most Americans LOVE so much.

I also love granola.

Hm. Maybe that's where the whole flower power thing comes from-- Apple knows their little peace-loving hippie fan base. Or hey, they figure that most of the windows population will either drop dead from heart attacks or harley accidents.... haha.

I hear they are bringing back the rainbow logo to get back the marketshare of the gay community.

Nice to see some great stereotyping with the harley comment. Good going.

mike (sarcasm dripping from my jowls)

hinkhous

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2001
hate to burst your respective bubbles...

Sorry to say that the likelihood of an Apple monitor larger than 22" is very unlikely. Apparently the current ADC limitations are very close to the 22" model right now with respect to power and data transmission capabilities. In other words, if the monitor gets bigger, the cable will not be able to carry everything it needs to.

I think it would be far more likely that we will see a price drop in the 17 and 19, but the 22 will stay very close to what it is at right now. Why would they ever drop the price on it when people that can't afford them still buy them, let alone the corporations and museums/libraries/universities that NEED them?? If I was making the decisions at Apple I'd keep selling the 22 for the same price so that all of us "have-nots" will always be able to drool over something!!

If anyone can prove to me that a 24" monitor is even possible with the ADC connector, I'd be very impressed. I don't think it will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.