PDA

View Full Version : Video input and display on Powerbook...what do I need?

SolidGun
Dec 30, 2006, 04:45 PM
I want to use my 12" PowerBook G4 with my PS2 at work. What hardware do I need to do this that works with Mac OS?

Thank you in advance.

mkrishnan
Dec 30, 2006, 04:51 PM
Do you want to use the PB as a display for the PS2? To record the PS2? Erm....

Depending on your choice of input format, Elgato sells something that would probably work for you in the guise of one of its EyeTV products (http://elgato.com/). Probably the "hybrid" one that's on the first page.

SolidGun
Dec 30, 2006, 04:55 PM
TY for the quick reply to this topic.

I want to play my PS2 using my PowerBookG4 because I can't carry around a monitor or TV to and from work. It involves lot of down time and sitting around so I need to do something that passes time.

dranakin
Oct 11, 2007, 12:49 AM
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I was wondering the same thing. Is it possible to use the PB display as another monitor (meaning, video input to use the PB display)?

mkrishnan
Oct 11, 2007, 07:18 AM
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I was wondering the same thing. Is it possible to use the PB display as another monitor (meaning, video input to use the PB display)?

Generally speaking, no. In some special cases, yes.

- If you have another computer on the network, you can control it remotely and have the interface be up on the display / keyboard / trackpad of the PB.

- If you purchase an EyeTV or similar adapter, you can get some types of digital and analog signals in also. Only some of these devices have zero lag (many of them lag by half a second or a second... making them useless for something like playing XBox on your screen). Limitations include that you will probably never get HDCP signals in this way.

However, generally speaking, there's no "pass-through" input to let you use the display of the powerbook as a "dumb" monitor. Just like every other notebook computer, pretty much.