PDA

View Full Version : how much space do photos use on iPod?

Ambrose Chapel
Dec 30, 2006, 08:11 PM
a question for people who copy photos to their iPods - when iTunes optimizes photos for the iPod, does it shrink their size down a lot? would 10GBs worth of photos take way less space on the iPod? is it worth it to shrink the photos down before copying them (i've got a lot of 8 megapixel images)?

thanks!

dllavaneras
Dec 30, 2006, 08:44 PM
iTunes has an option of not uploading the full resolution files to the iPod, so I guess it only uploads a really small version. I wanted to upload about 150 Mb of pics to my nano and without the full res files, it only took up like 12 Mb. Of course, you will only be able to look at them in the iPod, they won't be available on your computer

GreeneGirl7
Dec 30, 2006, 08:52 PM
Yep, just make sure you haven't checked the box to include the full resolution photos. Also, it will take quite a long time to process all those large photos into the right size. iTunes does it for you - you just have to do the waiting around. ;)

Brayden87
Dec 30, 2006, 09:09 PM
I have like 1300 photos and its only 800mb

Ambrose Chapel
Dec 31, 2006, 07:12 AM
thanks for the replies! now i just need to figure out if i should get the 30 or 80GB model... ;)

pianoman
Dec 31, 2006, 08:54 AM
thanks for the replies! now i just need to figure out if i should get the 30 or 80GB model... ;)

you should wait until after MWSF when, although an iPod update is historically unlikely, there's a chance we'll see larger capacity drives or a different form (full screen, for instance).

Ambrose Chapel
Dec 31, 2006, 03:02 PM
you should wait until after MWSF when, although an iPod update is historically unlikely, there's a chance we'll see larger capacity drives or a different form (full screen, for instance).

yeah i'm definitely waiting to see what happens at MWSF...we are due for a real 6G iPod. C'mon Steve! :D