PDA

View Full Version : 80GB! Full, is there gonna be bigger??

Brayden87
Dec 30, 2006, 09:13 PM
Hey,

Well i have filled my ipod up :S allready with songs and movies:

1279 songs in Lossless = 31.81GB that sucks!!!
70 Movies = 38GB thats not too bad

But i need more space :S are they gonna bring out a 100? or 120GB because i need more space.

:S i don't use ACC or MP3 only lossless for the quality.

dllavaneras
Dec 30, 2006, 09:15 PM
Probably, I know that 100 Gb drives are ready, and 120Gb drives are to be delivered early next year (January, I think...)

I'll post the link as soon as I find it

EDIT: Link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=258279)

TheMonarch
Dec 30, 2006, 09:22 PM
Why lossless on an iPod?

You know that totally destroys your battery life right?

Brayden87
Dec 30, 2006, 09:54 PM
Why lossless on an iPod?

You know that totally destroys your battery life right?

Yep but i love Lossless, my ipod only lasts like 4 hours if that. Games kill the battery in about 1.5 hours .

iSaint
Dec 30, 2006, 09:58 PM
Why so many movies on your iPod? Buy one for movies, and one for music.

Whigga Spitta
Dec 30, 2006, 10:27 PM
Isn't keeping all those movies on your iPod sort of pointless?

I have an 80GB iPod that I typically keep about 4 or 5GB of videos on. That being said, my iTunes library has over 180GB of videos... I just transfer to my iPod when I know I'm going to be watching something specific.

Kane.Elson
Dec 30, 2006, 10:47 PM
Wow that must have cost you alot, that's about US$2k worth of content.

Brayden87
Dec 30, 2006, 11:01 PM
70% songs are from Limewire 30% CD

One i get a movie, i rip it onto my ipod and thats it.

About the movies, i'd rather have it and not watch it, then not have it, and wanna watch it.

Zwhaler
Dec 30, 2006, 11:22 PM
I'm sure they will eventually get larger drives, but get a different format for your music so you will have more space for your movies, or more music.

AppleIntelRock
Dec 30, 2006, 11:58 PM
Lossless is one of your problems. I'm sure you'll see 100 GB versions soon.

GreeneGirl7
Dec 31, 2006, 07:27 AM
70% songs are from Limewire 30% CD

One i get a movie, i rip it onto my ipod and thats it.

About the movies, i'd rather have it and not watch it, then not have it, and wanna watch it.

How are they all lossless if they're from limewire? Or did you not list how much those songs take up? I don't use limewire, but I thought that you normally don't get high quality downloads from it. :)

BornAgainMac
Dec 31, 2006, 08:05 AM
Remember, if you download something that is compressed from Limewire and then you re-encode it as lossless then you don't magically get the quality of lossless. It will be the same quality as the source. If you actually enjoy the quality after re-encoding then you might as well just kept them the same original size. Problem solved.

PlaceofDis
Dec 31, 2006, 08:17 AM
Remember, if you download something that is compressed from Limewire and then you re-encode it as lossless then you don't magically get the quality of lossless. It will be the same quality as the source. If you actually enjoy the quality after re-encoding then you might as well just kept them the same original size. Problem solved.

indeed. and perhaps you shouldn't be illegally downloading music in the first place....

the only way to get true lossless is to encode it directly from the CD...

and for an iPod Lossless not only kills your battery life, it also is pointless. the headphones you're likely to be using with your iPod will probably be a bigger factor in how it sounds than the bit rate on the iPod. even making 'em 192 or 320 AAC will see a much better result. and if you would rotate your movies instead of keeping them all on there that would help a bit too...

MovieCutter
Dec 31, 2006, 10:53 AM
indeed. and perhaps you shouldn't be illegally downloading music in the first place....

and for an iPod Lossless not only kills your battery life, it also is pointless. the headphones you're likely to be using with your iPod will probably be a bigger factor in how it sounds than the bit rate on the iPod. even making 'em 192 or 320 AAC will see a much better result. and if you would rotate your movies instead of keeping them all on there that would help a bit too...

Agreed. It's very difficult for me to tell the difference between 320kbps AAC and lossless song files with a pair of $500 headphones, much less the iPod headphones.

You're just poorly managing your media, not to mention stealing it. You clearly don't understand the benefits of lossless since you're downloading from Limewire, not to mention discounting AAC (not ACC) as a suitable alternative to lossless. Limewire "lossless" is likely a bunch of adolescent screwballs who don't know what they're doing and "upconverting" 128kbps MP3s to lossless files thinking that will make them sound better.

Chaszmyr
Dec 31, 2006, 11:02 AM
The audio quality on the iPod really isn't sufficient to justify lossless. I think you're either trying to sound like an audiophile snob, or trying to impress us with your collection (I'm guessing the latter, cuz of the "hey i have 5 iPods and a PSP" thread you also started), but if everything you're saying is really legit then you're not making good decisions.

Diatribe
Dec 31, 2006, 11:14 AM
Yeah, 320AAC and Lossless are pretty close. Very few stereos/speakers show the difference and those cost 15k upward (Or on headphones 1k+).
The only reason I rip everything in Lossless is that it is an awesome way to back up your discs as this is most likely the highest bit-rate you'll ever want from a CD.
For my iPod and stereo I currently use 224AAC although I might up that to 320AAC as I do hear a difference between the two. Slight one but it is there.

MovieCutter
Dec 31, 2006, 11:16 AM
The audio quality on the iPod really isn't sufficient to justify lossless. I think you're either trying to sound like an audiophile snob, or trying to impress us with your collection (I'm guessing the latter, cuz of the "hey i have 5 iPods and a PSP" thread you also started), but if everything you're saying is really legit then you're not making good decisions.

Yeah, judging from his previous posts, sounds like a kid just looking for attention by bragging about how much stuff he has. Nobody's all that impressed...really.

combatcolin
Dec 31, 2006, 11:36 AM
Still have around 6GB spare on my 40GB G3 iPod..., and a lot of that is just backed up program install stuff.

Lossless, nice but takes up way too much space - 128 AAC is fine by me.

Aniej
Dec 31, 2006, 11:46 AM
maybe a silly question, but what does lossless provide and what is the spectrum of quality, i.e. lossless > MP3 > AAC etc.?

combatcolin
Dec 31, 2006, 11:54 AM
Sounds the best but take up loads of space, little bit pointless for storing all your music on a device, run out of space too quickly.

Although for bragging rights lossless is the King!

Jay42
Dec 31, 2006, 11:55 AM

I hope you're not using the ipod headphones.

MovieCutter
Dec 31, 2006, 12:54 PM
maybe a silly question, but what does lossless provide and what is the spectrum of quality, i.e. lossless > MP3 > AAC etc.?

Lossless > AAC 320 kbps > MP3 320 kpbs. Mp3 and AAC strip the file of less noticeable frequencies that produce brighter highs and deeper lows and general broader dynamic range that headphones such as those that come with the iPod do a piss poor job of playing anyway. That's why, unless you have a decent set of cans or IEMs, there's no point in listening to lossless on a portable device.

Zwhaler
Dec 31, 2006, 02:22 PM
Whoa. that explains a lot. So yeah unless you got Shure E5C's just do yourself a favor and make it Mp3

reubs
Dec 31, 2006, 02:58 PM
I've got all of mine at 128 AAC, and I can't tell any difference with the headphones. FOr listening in the car I wish I had a higher quality, but it's too late to redo the whole library.

And to stay on topic, I'm pretty sure the OP won't be coming back here for a while. Y'all did a pretty good number on him.

MovieCutter
Dec 31, 2006, 03:04 PM
Whoa. that explains a lot. So yeah unless you got Shure E5C's just do yourself a favor and make it Mp3

Not even the e5c's, the e3c's do a nice job of the lossless range. I learned all about this when, a few years ago, I picked up a pair of Shure e3's and stuck them in my ear. While the mp3s I had sounded good, I was curious about how lossless sounded. I ripped a few songs into 128kbps MP3 and AIFF files. I was blown away by the difference. After I realized there was almost as much as a difference between iTMS files and 320kbps AAC files, I stopped buying music from the iTMS and started buying CDs again, due to the fact that I had good IEMs and can actually hear the compression in the iTMS music. I still can't really tell the difference on the stock iPod headphones.

And to stay on topic, I'm pretty sure the OP won't be coming back here for a while. Y'all did a pretty good number on him.

Oh well...he didn't contribute anything of value anyway.

ReanimationLP
Dec 31, 2006, 05:13 PM
ZOMG LIMEWARE LOSSLESS!

Yeah.... thats like taking a Hyundai engine and sticking it into a Dodge Viper body.

In other words, its pointless.

Diatribe
Dec 31, 2006, 08:03 PM
Not even the e5c's, the e3c's do a nice job of the lossless range. I learned all about this when, a few years ago, I picked up a pair of Shure e3's and stuck them in my ear. While the mp3s I had sounded good, I was curious about how lossless sounded. I ripped a few songs into 128kbps MP3 and AIFF files. I was blown away by the difference. After I realized there was almost as much as a difference between iTMS files and 320kbps AAC files, I stopped buying music from the iTMS and started buying CDs again, due to the fact that I had good IEMs and can actually hear the compression in the iTMS music. I still can't really tell the difference on the stock iPod headphones.

Although Lossless will obviously sound good, I seriously doubt you can tell the difference between 320AAC and Lossless with your e3c's or even the e5c's.

Brayden87
Dec 31, 2006, 11:38 PM
I hope you're not using the ipod headphones.

No Way i got the Ultimate Ears 3s and Sony DJ headphones.

mjstew33
Dec 31, 2006, 11:43 PM
Probably all the music downloaded from limewire was .mp3, and making it lossless, like stated many times above, is worthless.

Convert it to just .aac at good quality.

You really shouldn't be talking about pirating music... :rolleyes:

MovieCutter
Jan 1, 2007, 12:36 PM
Although Lossless will obviously sound good, I seriously doubt you can tell the difference between 320AAC and Lossless with your e3c's or even the e5c's.

That's my point, you can't tell the difference between 320AAC and lossless with good phones.

Diatribe
Jan 1, 2007, 01:37 PM
That's my point, you can't tell the difference between 320AAC and lossless with good phones.

I guess I got you wrong but yeah, they are indistinguishable but on the best systems, which makes Lossless a nice backup but unpractical for iPods.

kavika411
Jan 2, 2007, 04:00 PM
This horse has been beaten, but not to death. After reading all (I believe) of these comments (and at the risk of sounding pompous, which I don't mean to), there is still something that most people are overlooking when discussing the memory size of iPods, ripping at lossless and what the future holds.

Here's the reality:
(1) In the very, very, very near future, your CDs will be in a bankers box in your basement.
(2) Why not rip at lossless - and keep the music in a mirror image to the CDs - when internal/external memory is so cheap and vast. (Keep reading before you make the no-noticeable-difference argument.)
(3) iTunes - which is free - is vastly more important than the iPod; the iPod is merely one a way to get your library from point A (your computer) to point B (your car, your stereo, etc.)
(4) One thing will change soon, and one will not; the one thing that will change is the medium for getting the music from your computer to wherever (such as iTV, Wi-Fi, something akin to bluetooth, who knows); the one thing that will NOT change is your iTunes library, in the sense that you have one shot, each time you load a CD, to get it just right before throwing that CD in a box. That, for me, overcomes any no-noticeable-difference argument. Even if it is true that we generally can't distinguish these formats/rates, I don't want to take a chance that one day, long in the future, that I DO have a device, an iPod, some Klipsch speakers, a microchip in my head, that CAN tell the difference between AAC 192 and lossless. Why risk it?
(5) Finally, back to the subject at hand, google "Doug's Applescripts," run a search on "lossless" and the first thing to pop up will be a conversion applescript to get your lossless files down to AAC for the purpose of getting them on your iPod, WHILE STILL RETAINING LOSSLESS ON YOUR COMPUTER. That solves the problem of the original inquiry.

Anyone who has had the patience to read this probably thinks I've lost touch with reality and/or I'm a jack*ss. I don't mean to be either. I just think that one day we will all look back and realize the irony is that iTunes (free) was MUCH more important than whatever iPod (costly) we were toting at the time, and we will either be relieved we ripped at lossless, or we will have at least some regret.

kavika411
Jan 2, 2007, 04:11 PM
By the way, I feel dumb but I had no idea lossless drained the batter faster. I don't understand why it would, but I don't understand how the things work anyway.

wako
Jan 2, 2007, 04:22 PM
Arent the iPods "capped" so that even though you might have a high bitrate on your media, the iPod still plays it like it is 256?

If you want to listen to Lossless encoded media, you better play it on something else. Your earphones and those Sony DJ headphones suck. Get a real speaker system if you really want to enjoy the music at a higher quality

gnasher729
Jan 2, 2007, 05:03 PM

That's just tough. Lossless takes about half the space of an uncompressed CD, and it empties your batteries (most power gets used for reading from the harddisk, and lossless reads six times as much as AAC).

I recommend a MacBook and an external 500GB harddisk.

Aniej
Jan 2, 2007, 07:54 PM
have you ever listened to lossless or AAC 320 on Krell speakers? as a matter of fact, make that anything on krell? holy cr*p i have never heard anything like that in my life nor felt something like that (with the exception of well...) these beasts are amazing and have the price tag to go with it.

bankshot
Jan 2, 2007, 07:59 PM
By the way, I feel dumb but I had no idea lossless drained the batter faster. I don't understand why it would, but I don't understand how the things work anyway.

It's because lossless files are bigger, which means less music can fit in the iPod's memory at any given time. In turn, this means that the iPod has to spin up the disk and read new data more often, and that drains the battery more quickly.

sushi
Jan 2, 2007, 08:01 PM
To the OP, you could always get two iPods! ;)

Aniej
Jan 2, 2007, 08:08 PM
To the OP, you could always get two iPods! ;) ok maybe I am majorly missing something here, but i don't see a single person on this thread named OP or anyone whose name begins with O for that matter; can someone clue me in?

MovieCutter
Jan 2, 2007, 08:15 PM
ok maybe I am majorly missing something here, but i don't see a single person on this thread named OP or anyone whose name begins with O for that matter; can someone clue me in?

OP=Original Poster

To save battery life, the iPod is designed to load a predetermined set of songs from the spinning hard drive into a small 32MB (64MB now?) flash -based cache. This prevents the iPod from having to spin the hard drive to get songs. The larger the file, the less amoung of songs it can fit in the cache, thus forcing the hard drive to spin back up to get the next song. Shuffle Songs drains your battery faster as well.

Brayden87
Jan 4, 2007, 11:36 PM
That's just tough. Lossless takes about half the space of an uncompressed CD, and it empties your batteries (most power gets used for reading from the harddisk, and lossless reads six times as much as AAC).

I recommend a MacBook and an external 500GB harddisk.

Dads got a 1.*TB server Xserve, we have the new imac duo or whatever with 500gb inbuilt and 500gb external. I have all my songs and stuff on my 180gb comp.

Anonymous Freak
Jan 5, 2007, 03:28 AM
To add my 3 cents (inflation and all)...

When ripping CDs, if you have the hard drive space, rip as lossless. That way, when the new great codec comes along, you can always re-encode. But leave the lossless on the computer. Backup to DVD, stick on an external hard drive, whatever. Unfortunately for me, I had just finished ripping my 300+ CD collection as 256 AAC about a week before Apple announced lossless. I haven't gotten around to re-ripping my collection.

If you really are an audiophile snob, with $500 headphones, encode at 256 or 320 AAC. I consider myself an audiophile snob when it comes to classical music, and even on classical music, I can't tell the difference between 320 AAC and the original CD. I *CAN* tell the difference between 320 AAC and a DVD-Audio disc, though. (Even without surround.) This is on a $500 Sony 'shelf' stereo (which has better speakers than my home theater,) and on Sony 'DJ' headphones. So for classical music, I like it at maximum quality. For all other music, 128 AAC is just fine. (I will buy my 'everyday' music from the iTunes Store, but not classical.)

Don't put all 70 movies on the iPod. That's just stupid. Really. It's an iPod. Unless you take a 2 hour train ride every day, and will actually watch your movie collection that often, it's pointless to leave them always on the iPod. If you're going to leave on a trip, fine, load up the five to ten movies you might watch on the trip. Otherwise, only put video on that there is the remotest chance of watching. In anticipation of the iTV, I'm currently in the process of ripping my movie collection to an external hard drive, as H.264, 1500 kbps video, 128 kbps audio, 640x??? (height depends on aspect ratio of the source.) On my high-end-circa-1998 Sony non-high-definition TV, connected to my notebook via S-Video, I can't tell the difference between that and a DVD. When I get a video iPod, will I put all 100+ movies on it? No way. I'll probably put the Pixar collection on, since my daughter absolutely demands to watch them on a regular basis, but other than that, I'll put on my 'new' movies, and any that I specifically plan on watching on it soon. Other than that, it's useless.

Now, with music, even 320 kbps files, they will be small enough to reasonably keep them on an iPod at all times. But with movies that can easily top 1 GB a piece, it's silly to try to carry all of them all the time. Especially if they're duplicated on your main computer. (If you were moving your stuff to the iPod, then deleting it from the computer, it might make sense.)

Yeah, judging from his previous posts, sounds like a kid just looking for attention by bragging about how much stuff he has. Nobody's all that impressed...really.
And, yes, this guy is obviously a kid bragging. Just look at his "my dad has an Xserve" comment. I'm betting he doesn't even really have what he says he does. Or, if the does, then he's a spoiled little rich kid who needs to learn some humility and be disciplined once in a while. ("I have a PSP just for internet"....? Why not a Nokia 770? It's a much better 'portable web' device... Although I'm waiting with baited breath for the DS Browser kit to hit the U.S.)

combatcolin
Jan 5, 2007, 04:07 PM
Dads got a 1.*TB server Xserve, we have the new imac duo or whatever with 500gb inbuilt and 500gb external. I have all my songs and stuff on my 180gb comp.

Umm, there really expensive.

Really.

:confused:

MacinJosh
Jan 5, 2007, 04:49 PM

Well, you need good ol' daddy to get you some better equipment. 180GB... that's pretty cheap. Ask him to get you a souped up MacPro with über GB of space!

Joshua.

Brayden87
Jan 5, 2007, 07:56 PM
Well, you need good ol' daddy to get you some better equipment. 180GB... that's pretty cheap. Ask him to get you a souped up MacPro with über GB of space!

Joshua.

Expensive? yes, very. But thats just Apple.

I am on a pc! pieces of crap. I tend to use the Imac a fair bit but yer my pc has only got a 180gb hard drive, but till i fill all that up i will just put it all on the server.

The server is for his business website but its still got a TB left of space and we have 380gb of uncompressed movies on it. So yer we got a fair bit of space. But the space on the computers isn't the problem, its the ipod.

AppleIntelRock
Jan 5, 2007, 08:08 PM
Expensive? yes, very. But thats just Apple.

I am on a pc! pieces of crap. I tend to use the Imac a fair bit but yer my pc has only got a 180gb hard drive, but till i fill all that up i will just put it all on the server.

The server is for his business website but its still got a TB left of space and we have 380gb of uncompressed movies on it. So yer we got a fair bit of space. But the space on the computers isn't the problem, its the ipod.

The last time I checked, 1 TB RAIDS and 500 GB internals (in all-in-one systems with a width under 2 inches) were expensive period. Regardless of wether they were Apple or Non-Apple.

Meatball
Jan 6, 2007, 02:24 PM
ZOINKS :eek: ! I've just filled up my 4 iPod 80GB with my better-quality-than-yours music, what ever shall I do? ;) (Using search for 80GB iPod would be a start...)

Question: If you're so rich and "own" so many high tech gadgets why do you feel the need to steal your music?

dextertangocci
Jan 6, 2007, 02:55 PM
I never knew you could steal lossles tracks off limewire:confused: ;)

Sensfan67
Jan 6, 2007, 04:30 PM
Hey,

Well i have filled my ipod up :S allready with songs and movies:

70 Movies = 38GB thats not too bad

But i need more space :S are they gonna bring out a 100? or 120GB because i need more space.

Wha Wha WHaaaaa?? I have about 2100 songs and it only takes up 10 gigs? does sound quality really matter? honestly not enough for me.

Meatball
Jan 7, 2007, 04:07 AM
I never knew you could steal lossles tracks off limewire:confused: ;)

you can't really! How many limewire users no what Lossless even is? :D

MovieCutter
Jan 7, 2007, 02:03 PM
Why are we still talking to this kid who has a fake silver spoon up his @$$?

savar
Jan 7, 2007, 02:55 PM

Lossless only mean that you don't lose anything from the original. So a lossless encoded from an MP3 sounds just like the mp3...encoded from a CD sounds just like a CD. So lossless is always "true lossless" in a sense.

Let's not forget though that CD's aren't at the top of audio quality. In the next few years we'll see much more impressive formats for music.

I agree with your point, though. I doubt with the amp on the iPod and the supplied headphones that somebody can really hear the difference, and it limits you to a fifth of the music or less, and it kills your battery life.

-::ubermann::-
Jan 9, 2007, 11:26 PM
i have downloaded several lossless audio songs in .ape format from p2p, with CD quality they are aprox 3 times larger than 128kbps mp3

pengu
Jan 9, 2007, 11:36 PM
right. see, as one or two other people pointed out, an iPod is just ONE way of many to listen to your itunes library. any CDs i buy, i rip to lossless. they then get synced to my ipod. sure, i could convert them to aac, backup the lossless to dvd, and then use aac day-to-day, but jesus christ. my time is worth a **** load more than that. i accept that my 60gb ipod is practically full because my purchased music is in lossless. as i replace my "acquired" music with CD's (i consider downloading music like listening to a preview in a store or listening on the radio. i DO buy the albums eventually) i will rip them at lossless also. this way, as someone else said, when i listen to music on my home theatre it doesnt sound *****, and i dont need a 2nd copy.

someguy
Jan 9, 2007, 11:36 PM
I bet my dad can kick your dad's ass.

Kid, you're either spoiled, or you want us to think you're spoiled. Either way, there's something wrong in your life and I'm not professionally qualified to address. Consult a therapist before it gets serious.

wyatt23
Jan 10, 2007, 12:08 AM
check bittorrent tracker sites... flac and ape are on the rise....

i remember back in the day when an mp3 was a large file on my 4.3gb hd!

with the 1TB seagates and hitachi's coming out, lossless will be the next mp3.

then it will all be gravvy on my 1TB ipod nano phone teleporter. :p

MeWannaMac
Jan 25, 2007, 11:14 PM
You filled an 80gig?? Thats just crazy....

After G
Jan 25, 2007, 11:36 PM
You filled an 80gig?? Thats just crazy....Crazy in that he only has 80 GB? My home directory is 68 GB by itself ... I had to move it to an external drive because the internal wouldn't hold it. 68 GB is small potatoes from seeing other people on the forums though :)

MacNut
Jan 25, 2007, 11:38 PM
It doesn't take much to fill a hard drive. iTunes and movies don't take long to fill up the space.

Chaszmyr
Jan 26, 2007, 06:09 AM

I don't know why this thread was revived, but...

I don't think there's even any way to hook an Xserve RAID up to an iMac.

dllavaneras
Jan 26, 2007, 06:19 AM
It doesn't take much to fill a hard drive. iTunes and movies don't take long to fill up the space.

Yeah, it's really easy, especially when you have all your photos as well

joshwest
Jan 26, 2007, 01:26 PM
Isn't keeping all those movies on your iPod sort of pointless?

I have an 80GB iPod that I typically keep about 4 or 5GB of videos on. That being said, my iTunes library has over 180GB of videos... I just transfer to my iPod when I know I'm going to be watching something specific.

yeah i have 8 starting to get bad

first and second gen 1gb shuffles
first gen nano 4gb and 1gb
sencond gen silver mini 4gb
first gen 5 gig
second gen nano 8gb
videopod 60 gig

Use my new Nano and VideoPod the most

combatcolin
Jan 26, 2007, 02:15 PM
I don't know why this thread was revived, but...

I don't think there's even any way to hook an Xserve RAID up to an iMac.

Isn't it the other way round?

:cool: