PDA

View Full Version : Broken iPod Screen

SkyBell
Dec 30, 2006, 09:49 PM
Well, I broke my iPod Video's screen tonight when I took a nasty fall, the earbuds smashed into the screen. (Go figure; The earbuds still work perfectly)

The iPod itself still works, but I was going to send it in to these people (http://www.ipodmechanic.com/) for service. Has anyone here ever sent thier iPod to them before? Are they good? Or should I take it to Apple?

Pics(Sorry for quality, took about 15 seconeds to take them.)

Zwhaler
Dec 30, 2006, 11:24 PM
If you want to keep it simple, I would get a quote from iPod Mechanic as well as from Apple, and choose whoever offers the lower price.

SkyBell
Dec 30, 2006, 11:30 PM
If you want to keep it simple, I would get a quote from iPod Mechanic as well as from Apple, and choose whoever offers the lower price.

Ya that's a good idea. I'm just wondering about thier quality. Like, I don't know if they'd half-a$$ the job, or if they would take great care in fixing it. And thats why I'm asking if anyone has dealt with the before, to see if I can get a few opinions.

puckhead193
Dec 30, 2006, 11:43 PM
I hope your ok from your fall....
That's really expensive... you might want to consider a refurb from apple- at least you it will work....

SkyBell
Dec 31, 2006, 01:46 AM
I hope your ok from your fall....
That's really expensive... you might want to consider a refurb from apple- at least you it will work....

I twisted my ankle, but other then that I'm ok.

You're right. On one hand, I know for sure a refurb will work (At least for a little while) On the other hand, screen replacement: $119. Refurb: $179

I just got this iPod, (for christmas) and I'd really hate to see it got to waste.

I guess I'll get a quote from Apple, see how much they charge for a screen replacement, then make up my mind.

applemacdude
Dec 31, 2006, 02:05 AM
i can sell you a screen for cheaper than quoted

SkyBell
Dec 31, 2006, 02:18 AM
i can sell you a screen for cheaper than quoted

Thanks, but I wouldn't trust myself with a butter knife. (You have no idea how many PC's I have screwed up trying to upgarde them.:))

ReanimationLP
Dec 31, 2006, 02:19 AM
Try explaining it to a Genius bar, and maybe they'll be nice and let it slide.

The Genius I took my iBook to was very nice and actually got me a 30GB hard disk installed in place of the 20GB. Doesn't sound like much but it does make a difference.

That, and get a case for it.

http://www.techrestore.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17132&cat=283&page=1

TechRestore is MUCH better, and have great support too, as well as its only 89.99