PDA

View Full Version : Buy a new 5.5g ipod or a refurb 5g?

Harpy007
Dec 31, 2006, 10:39 AM
Hi guys!

I have some money for a new ipod and I want to get one with video. My question is: should I buy the new model for 299$ (can) or go with a refurb one for 209$? I want to know if the brightness and the extra hour of battery life is really worth 90$? Also do you think we'll see a new ipod at macworld this year?

Thanks for your time!

raythepa
Dec 31, 2006, 10:46 AM
My next iPod is going to be a refurb. I bought one for my daughter and its just fine and actually after the new ones are announced in a couple of weeks I would not be surprised to find the aluminum nano's listed in the refurb section. Search this forum for "refurb*" and you'll find others experience with them as well as specific times to go to the web store...I've seen 4 am as the witching hour when refurbs are updated.

rockthecasbah
Dec 31, 2006, 11:14 AM
Wait for MWSF already it's only a matter of days at this point, you'd be crazy to buy a new iPod and be fully aware that they could release an update! As for the 5.5 vs 5.0, i'm not too sure about the brightness deal. I have a 5.0 gen 60gb and the brightness was too high for me, i turned it down. Don't get the impression that the iPods are dim, but i guess that they COULD be brighter may be incentive to buy. As for the battery life deal, isn't the only improvement on the battery in the video category? Apple.com still lists music playback for the 30gb at 14 hours...

SactoGuy18
Dec 31, 2006, 11:29 AM
Wait for MWSF already it's only a matter of days at this point, you'd be crazy to buy a new iPod and be fully aware that they could release an update!

My guess is that at MacWorld SF we may see a major firmware update for the iPod that fixes a number of serious problems. First and foremost: the iPod (iPod 5.5 G and iPod nano 2G) crashing when you try to play an audio file in the Podcast folder with the equalization mode turned on.

MeWannaMac
Jan 25, 2007, 10:42 PM
Go for the refub, its well worth the price...