PDA

View Full Version : Honda Music Link. Worth It?

sxl95
Dec 31, 2006, 10:46 AM
I am in the process of getting a new Honda Accord, and was wondering if picking up the Music Link is worth it. I have a 3G iPod (which wasn't compatible with the Music Link last I checked), but I have been told the Music Link is being replaced.

Anyone know anything about the new Music Link, and if it would work with an old 3G iPod? Also, if anyone has one, is it worth the money?

-Sam

tektonnic
Dec 31, 2006, 02:27 PM
I have no specific knowledge of the "Honda Music Link" but seeing as the 3g has the same interface (ie. dock connector) as the latest iPod, i can't see why it would be an issue...wikipedia indicates that the 3g ipod is compatible, why don't you ask Honda, I'm sure they'd help you if you were buying one of thier cars :).

adk
Dec 31, 2006, 02:55 PM
No. Do not under any circumstances spend a dime on the HML. I had one, spent $250-300 installed. First off, the text to speech program was awful. I would try to listen to bob dylan and i would direct me to something that definitely wasn't bob dylan (didn't even play the same artist every time). It was ok (read: ok, as in piss poor but I had to use it to justify how much I spent on it) when I was just playing off of a playlist. Then, when I upgraded to Itunes 7 it stopped working completely. Currently, my honda music link computer and cable are sitting on my garage floor collecting dust.

Do not, I repeat do not buy it!

Also, read this: http://www.nuxx.net/wiki/Honda_Music_Link_iPod_Adapter_Review

brendo234
Feb 7, 2008, 11:40 PM
Will the Honda Music Link work with the iPhone? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer, so I'm looking to find out whether I should buy the Honda Music Link, or the USA Spec PA11-HON2y

http://i.nconspicuo.us/2008/02/07/usa-spec-pa11-hon2y-vs-honda-music-link-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/

balamw
Feb 7, 2008, 11:58 PM
Wasn't HML discontinued last year?

B

NightStorm
Feb 8, 2008, 07:56 AM
Wasn't HML discontinued last year?

B
Thankfully, yes. It was a horrible system, and I can only hope its replacement will be much improved. I think they are going to release a new system this year.

Orng
Feb 8, 2008, 09:12 AM
May I be a big jerk and offer my standard advice for anyone buying a computer or a car?

If you can buy an add-on or reasonable substitute in a store for less than $200 or even $300, then why on earth would you willingly finance it over 4 years?

Fancy floor mats, laptop bags, iPod car connectors, extra batteries/chargers, smaller software suites like iWork, plastic cargo trays for your SUV...
Are these things going to last as long as the period over which you are going to finance them? Does it make financial sense to pay interest on a $30 laptop bag for four years?

I guess that depends on your willingness to pay more than the value of readily-available sundries.

Try this, buy your car with the cheapest stereo option they have, then drive over to your favourite electronics store and buy your choice of iPod compatible car stereos with cash on hand, then drive to an automotive store and pick up all those cargo trays and floor mats that the dealer tried to sell you, then take the several hundred dollars I just saved you in interest, and mail it to me :)

peeaanuut
Feb 8, 2008, 09:26 AM
as far as getting something with the car, when it is installed at the dealer and is approved aftermarket or "factory" part from the manufacturer, it is covered under warranty. If you buy a new car and you install an aftermarket stereo and than begin to have electrical problems, the manufacturer could deem that as voiding the warranty and all repairs will cost you.

As far as the other stuff, sometimes that is the only way the person who is getting the new item (laptop, etc) will be able to immediately get that item. Say in the case of a laptop, you need a bag. Its nearly a given. If your a student and are low on funds but are getting a loan to buy the laptop, you might as well finance the bag and a few accessories this way your prepared and wont do without while you are broke as a student.

In some situations it makes sense.

Orng
Feb 8, 2008, 10:00 AM
In some situations it makes sense.

You're right, in some situations it does make sense, and I've done it myself. But for so many people, adding on a raft of extras is default behaviour, they don't even think about how much interest they are paying on all these extras. And they should.

Sure, the option is only a dollar a month more, or ten dollars a month more. But it can really add up. Anyone considering adding a new monthly payment onto their existing debt should be thinking, how can I make this a dollar or ten dollars a month less? Can I drive down to the store and buy that option for $30 right now? Can I buy it next payday? Can I put it on my visa and pay it off in three months rather than being locked into paying for it over four years?

How many people are going to retire in debt? How many are going to die in debt? How many people reading this forum right now have ever experienced that uncomfortable sensation of drowning in debt? I know that feeling well enough not to wish it on anybody. Finance only what you need to finance.