PDA

View Full Version : which cam do you use?

toughboy
May 8, 2003, 12:20 PM
In the past days, there was a buddy who shared his photos of the new 30gb iPod, they were nice and cool but the cam wasnt good enough.. and those photos bring this idea to my mind:

which digital photo camera does mas-users or mac-lovers like to use?..

lmalave
May 8, 2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by toughboy
In the past days, there was a buddy who shared his photos of the new 30gb iPod, they were nice and cool but the cam wasnt good enough.. and those photos bring this idea to my mind:

which digital photo camera does mas-users or mac-lovers like to use?..

I don't have a camera, but my friend has the Fuji Finepix 2 Megapixel camera. It seems to be very good quality for the price.

yzedf
May 8, 2003, 01:21 PM
Canon PowerShot S200

some pics I have online http://www.yzedf.com/pics/s200/

Approx $240 now... http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/ProductM.jsp?nxtg=76845_04721541F5E9FDE0&kw=Canon_S200_Digital_Camera&ptitle=42200&pdir=0&click=n&node=&core=&page=1&lgnode=&lgsearch=canon_s200

The 230 is nice too.

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/home.html

pepeleuepe
May 8, 2003, 01:49 PM
I use a Pentax Optio 330GS, it's 3 megapixel and it takes great photos. It doesn't have all of the crazy features of some other 3 megapixel cameras, but it's also very compact. I figured, if I couldn't take the camera with me everywhere, I probably wouldn't use it very much. So I'm happy with my purchase and with the photo quality of the camera.

Kid Red
May 8, 2003, 01:52 PM
I have 2, big boy and a small one. Olympus E-20 full blown digital camera for photographer types and for awesome top of the line snap shots (size of a pack of cigarettes) the Cannon Elph Powershot S400.

idkew
May 8, 2003, 02:01 PM
if you do a search of the forums, there are several long threads about digital camera recommendations. they are, as i said, long and they have a LOT of information in them.

no sense in starting a new one... yet. give it 6 months.

LimeLite
May 8, 2003, 02:18 PM
He wasn't looking for recommendations. He just wanted to know what everyone else uses.

Sony DSC-P9. <--Still worth as much as it was when I first bought it, but I think the price goes down this month.

DaedalusDE
May 8, 2003, 02:38 PM
I have a Kodak DX4330... 3.1 megapixels and AMAZING color... I took some pix at my brothers bar-mitzvah inside a Jillians, Holy ***** i thought i would be blinded by the reds and blues... Of course now i wish i saved the 300 buxx and waited for an iPod, but such is life... and besides, i have 200 dollars saved up for an iPod already and my boss said he'd advance me the rest so whatever...

Chomolungma
May 8, 2003, 02:45 PM
Usuability: redneck proof (very easy to use)
Image quality: better than most 4 Megapixel
Optic is better than most

Opitcal Zoom is average for 3X (complicated issue, dependent on focal length among other issue)

I love the fast action mode (Really cool when I'm driving)

Moxiemike
May 8, 2003, 02:50 PM
Well.. here goes.

I'm using a Nikon D100 6mp dSLR camera with an SB-DX50 flash and Nikon 28-80mm "G" and 70-300 "G" series lenses and a Quantary 19-35mm lens for wide angle shots.

I process all of my images through Nikon Capture, and I shoot almost exclusively in RAW format.

I also have a vivtar Proline200 tripod. Very nice pod if you have a bigger camera.

When I do some snapshot-y stuff, I have a CoolPix 880 that does a nice job with macros too. But i usually leave that with my dad. He uses it for site photos and is just getting into photoshop

My sister has the 4330 and it DOES rock for a P&S camera. I used to shoot with a Minolta Dimage 7HI (Which is for sale.... someone but it please!) :)

QCassidy352
May 8, 2003, 02:52 PM
fuji finepix 3800. It's got 3.1 megapixels, very good image quality, and great features for it's price (I paid $306). 6x optical zoom is awesome... I didn't think I would really need it, but now I think it would be very frustrating to use a camera with only 3x or so.

DaedalusDE
May 8, 2003, 02:54 PM
heh i just remembered that in the drama room closet in my school we have an old Apple digital camera... the thing must be from like 1998 and have like .3 megapixels... never used it... just kinda popped into my head that it existed

LimeLite
May 8, 2003, 04:14 PM
There were three Apple digi-cams.

They were:
Apple QuickTake 100
Resolution: 640x480
1MB Flash
Introduced in 1994

Apple QuickTake 150 (they looked the same.)
1MB Flash
Introduced in 1995, this one had a Windows compatibility kit.

They looked like this:

LimeLite
May 8, 2003, 04:20 PM
Then there was...

Apple QuickTake 200
2MB SmartMedia Card. (original models were internal flash.
Introduced in 1995 with the QuickTake 150.

This model had a 1.8" LCD Display, the others had none. This model also had Serial and NTSC connectors. (Previous models only had serial.)

Apple was too far ahead of their time...again. They didn't sell very well.

It looked like this:

Pete_Hoover
May 8, 2003, 04:23 PM
New Canon Powershot S45!

MorganX
May 8, 2003, 05:21 PM
Kodak LS443

hugemullens
May 8, 2003, 05:39 PM
At the end of the month i can finally buy a digi cam! It'll be either a Canon S30 or S45 depending how much i can afford.

ibookin'
May 8, 2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Moxiemike
Well.. here goes.

I'm using a Nikon D100 6mp dSLR camera with an SB-DX50 flash and Nikon 28-80mm "G" and 70-300 "G" series lenses and a Quantary 19-35mm lens for wide angle shots.

I process all of my images through Nikon Capture, and I shoot almost exclusively in RAW format.

I also have a vivtar Proline200 tripod. Very nice pod if you have a bigger camera.

When I do some snapshot-y stuff, I have a CoolPix 880 that does a nice job with macros too. But i usually leave that with my dad. He uses it for site photos and is just getting into photoshop

My sister has the 4330 and it DOES rock for a P&S camera. I used to shoot with a Minolta Dimage 7HI (Which is for sale.... someone but it please!) :)

Nice cameras, Moxie. Almost as nice as your car. :D

I'm a Nikon man, too. I have a Coolpix 950 Digital Camera (over 3 years old but still an excellent camera) and an F3 35mm film camera (probably one of the best cameras Nikon ever made). For the F3, my parents have an assortment of lenses (my mom has an FE2 and my dad has a rare silver F3T) including a Nikkor 50mm f1.4, a Nikkor 105mm f1.8, a 35mm f2.8 Nikkor, a Tokina 28-200mm f3.5-5.6, and a Nikkor 43-86mm f3.5. My personal favorites are the 105 for the beautiful images it produces and the 28-200 for its versitality.

WinterMute
May 8, 2003, 06:00 PM
I picked up a Finepix 2400 zoom last year, dead easy to use, 2.1 megapixels, macros, good range of file sizes and decent quality pics, no bells and whistles.

I'm a social snapper, and sometimes use it for illustrations in lecture notes and the odd PowerPoint.

It's a sturdy little camera that hasn't let me down all year.

toughboy
May 8, 2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by idkew
if you do a search of the forums, there are several long threads about digital camera recommendations. they are, as i said, long and they have a LOT of information in them.

no sense in starting a new one... yet. give it 6 months.

I'm not lookin for a recommendation, I'm just curious about the different perspective of aestethic of the mac users.. because, we are all different from those peecee guys.. ;)

idkew
May 8, 2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by LimeLite
He wasn't looking for recommendations. He just wanted to know what everyone else uses.

Sony DSC-P9. <--Still worth as much as it was when I first bought it, but I think the price goes down this month.

oh- well in that case- i have a powershot s45 and i love it.

DakotaGuy
May 8, 2003, 08:45 PM
Kodak DX3700 3.1MP, great starter or amateur cam. It works nice with iPhoto.

idkew
May 8, 2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
Canon PowerShot S200

some pics I have online http://www.yzedf.com/pics/s200/

Approx $240 now... http://www.nextag.com/serv/main/buyer/ProductM.jsp?nxtg=76845_04721541F5E9FDE0&kw=Canon_S200_Digital_Camera&ptitle=42200&pdir=0&click=n&node=&core=&page=1&lgnode=&lgsearch=canon_s200

The 230 is nice too.

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/home.html

hey- nice mac plus. great condition. keep that.

btw- i think your s300 has a macro mode- it will help you focus in on the close ups. i know that camera can do better then that.

Xero
May 9, 2003, 01:02 AM
Well.. here goes.

all i can say is DROOOOL. ive wanted a dSLR camera for a while now, but theyre way too expensive for just recreational use.:( but man do i love the D series Nikon cameras.

Tomasz
May 9, 2003, 01:40 AM
I have the Canon S40 and it is awesome. I totally recommend it (or the S45/50) for anybody looking to have a camera that has tons of features for people who want to play around, and also simple enough to use in simple day to day activity.

One tip, either get a few memory cards or a microdrive for it if you want to really see the quality of it.

Tomasz

Chimaera
May 9, 2003, 02:27 AM
I have a Canon Powershot G2, its a bit bulky but very good quality.

wsteineker
May 9, 2003, 02:56 AM
Wow, so far I'm the only Sony user. I've got a Sony DSC P50. It's a solid little camera even though it's getting older. The battery life is good with the Li Ion pack I've got, and the pictures are crisp and well saturated for a point and shoot. The only real problem is that it uses Memory Sticks. Still, I'd recommend it.

boskie
May 9, 2003, 03:13 AM
Canon Ixus 400, 4.0 Megapixel, Macros, 3mins of A/V - which i can connect directly to a PAL/NTSC TV - for a reasonable price of 380.

I don't take many photo's but thought it was about time to get a camera, one which i think will last me a good while.

Now i hope to takes pics of all the stuff i wanna sell on ebay to try and make a bit of it back.

kiwi_the_iwik
May 9, 2003, 04:50 AM
I don't have a dedicated digital stills camera - I use my Sony PC-100 camcorder to do my stills. At 1152x864, the image quality is just fine. I don't have a flash for it (although I hear I can put one on the top via the "intelligent shoe"), but as long as the lighting conditions are fine, so will the pictures be.

Plus, I get the added benefits of:

1. Memory Stick storage for photos
2. A Megapixel DV camcorder
3. FireWire connectivity for editing
4. NightShot function
5. A Carl Zeiss lens
6. A VTR to tape stuff @ 520 lines resolution
7. A Digital/Analogue converter
8. Built-in Charger & long-life Battery
9. A webcam for the Cube
10. A good-looking and VERY portable piece of kit...

Wyrm
May 9, 2003, 08:34 AM
Canon S45 here -

I've found iPhoto works great with a Maxel UA7 multi-card reader - not really sure who makes it since it is probably OEM, but I picked it up from a local camera store. Much easier than pluging in the cable that came with the camera, and much faster too. Anybody else notice cameras are pretty slow to transfer pictures?

-Wyrm

MacRoni
May 9, 2003, 10:42 AM
I myself use the Olympus c-50. That digi cam is absolutely great. The best thing about it is that it saves very large picture files (5 megapixels) at amazing speeds. This is acheived with the new XD memory chip which is super small (size of your thumbnail). The camera is very compact and durable, which is great for traveling and point-and-shoot circumstances. i have no real qualms with the camera except for the fact that the lcd is kind of hard to see in bright light. Overall, it is a damn good camera.

Gus
May 9, 2003, 11:43 AM
I have a Sony Cybershot. Can't remeber the exact model number, but it's 1.3 MP, but gives better shots than my mother-in-law's Canon 2 MP.

Regards,
Gus

Moxiemike
May 9, 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Xero
all i can say is DROOOOL. ive wanted a dSLR camera for a while now, but theyre way too expensive for just recreational use.:( but man do i love the D series Nikon cameras.

Yea. It's such a different world from the D7hi I was shooting before. and THAT was a fine camera.

I'd highly recommend the nikon, having shot a 10d, a d60 and the d100. The d100 just has that feel to it.

and it's been reduced to $1699 now. :)

m,

wsteineker
May 9, 2003, 02:03 PM
Moxie,
I have never once in the entire course of my existence been so jealous of someone as I have been of you this week. First the new Saab, now this camera. You evil, evil man. ;)

Moxiemike
May 9, 2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by wsteineker
Moxie,
I have never once in the entire course of my existence been so jealous of someone as I have been of you this week. First the new Saab, now this camera. You evil, evil man. ;)

all i have to say is work hard, treat people fairly and reap the benefits. :)

you'll get there too. quickly. :)

plus, you probably have a cute girlfriend. Me? I'm stuck in Pittsburgh.

wsteineker
May 9, 2003, 02:18 PM
all i have to say is work hard, treat people fairly and reap the benefits. :)

you'll get there too. quickly. :)

plus, you probably have a cute girlfriend. Me? I'm stuck in Pittsburgh.

Funny you should say that. Your advice is exactly what I've been trying to do for a while now, and it is paying off. New job, back in school, and yes, a girlfriend who happens to be quite cute. :)

Sorry about the whole Pittsburgh thing, buddy. ;)

Moxiemike
May 9, 2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by wsteineker
Funny you should say that. Your advice is exactly what I've been trying to do for a while now, and it is paying off. New job, back in school, and yes, a girlfriend who happens to be quite cute. :)

Sorry about the whole Pittsburgh thing, buddy. ;)

it's not that bad... what with a D100 and a Saab to keep me company. ;)

i get by

wsteineker
May 9, 2003, 02:36 PM
it's not that bad... what with a D100 and a Saab to keep me company. ;)

i get by

Heh. Fair enough, then. ;)

dabirdwell
May 9, 2003, 02:52 PM
And it is a badass, for me anyway. Great features, ease of use, manual or point-and-shoot, takes 75 sec movies that look and sound more than acceptable after iMovie editing, at least for on-the-spot stuff.

The only potential negative for the Olympus line is their continued use of SmartMedia cards. They work great and are tiny and reasonably sized (capacity) but just not as widely supported as say, Compactflash.

acj
May 9, 2003, 03:17 PM
Not really for the same use here, but I shoot on a Canon 1Ds and a Canon 10D. Gotta love the 11 MP. Here are the lenses I shoot with:

Sigma 14mm rectiliniar
Canon 17-35 F/2.8L
Canon 28-70mm F/2.8L
Sigma 50mm Macro
Canon 100mm Macro
Canon 70-200 F/2.8L
Canon 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L Image Stabilized
Canon 300mm F/2.8L Image Stabilized

Unfortunately, only the 10D, 17-35, 100-400, and 50mm are mine. The rest are the bosses...

wsteineker
May 9, 2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by dabirdwell
The only potential negative for the Olympus line is their continued use of SmartMedia cards. They work great and are tiny and reasonably sized (capacity) but just not as widely supported as say, Compactflash.
That's the only thing slowing me down in my purchase of the C-4000 Zoom, actually. It looks to be a great camera and a nice step up from where I currently am (2.1 MP Sony point and shoot), but the whole SmartMedia thing is a real downer. It's the capacity that gets me. They max out at 128 MB, and that's just not enough for extended use. Still, they're pretty cheap. I just worry about continued production and support of the format. Any input here?

toughboy
May 10, 2003, 05:32 AM
I guess I'll buy a Canon S45 or S50 after my lovely EOS Rebel2000... or maybe a HP 850 because of its 8X zoom...

toughboy
May 10, 2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by acj
Not really for the same use here, but I shoot on a Canon 1Ds and a Canon 10D. Gotta love the 11 MP. Here are the lenses I shoot with:

Sigma 14mm rectiliniar
Canon 17-35 F/2.8L
Canon 28-70mm F/2.8L
Sigma 50mm Macro
Canon 100mm Macro
Canon 70-200 F/2.8L
Canon 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L Image Stabilized
Canon 300mm F/2.8L Image Stabilized

Unfortunately, only the 10D, 17-35, 100-400, and 50mm are mine. The rest are the bosses...

I'd really love to buy a Canon 10D but only the body is 1500$ with a good couple of lenses, its comes up to a 2200-2400$ or so... but taking a shot with a SLR is a all the way different experience... I'd recommend to everyone...

acj
May 10, 2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by toughboy
I'd really love to buy a Canon 10D but only the body is 1500$ with a good couple of lenses, its comes up to a 2200-2400$ or so... but taking a shot with a SLR is a all the way different experience... I'd recommend to everyone...

I wouldn't. Many people don't know enough to take advantage of the features. Or they think a $1500 camera is all they need to spend their money on, and they buy an $80 lens and wonder why their pictures aren't sharp. You need to have lots of money or really be into photography to justify the added expense.

Of course, I think everybody should learn to use an SLR, but most people won't, so PHD (push here, dummy) cameras are just fine. Some of them really offer some amazing quality too.

Duckie
May 10, 2003, 09:40 PM
I myself have a Casio Exilim Wearable Card Camera (http://exilim.casio.com/s2model.htm)

It has been very reliable to me and it serves its purpose. It's great.