PDA

View Full Version : iPod vending machine sales reach for the skies

MacBytes
Dec 31, 2006, 05:33 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: iPod vending machine sales reach for the skies (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061231183322)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Hummer
Dec 31, 2006, 05:45 PM
I wonder if you can get AppleCare too. I've always wanted a food vending in my house, but forget about that.

geerlingguy
Dec 31, 2006, 06:37 PM
I wonder how many people see these little forum threads for MacBytes?

GoCubsGo
Dec 31, 2006, 07:08 PM
While at SFO airport in November they were selling ipods out of vending machines. I found it funny but amazingly clever...until I thought about being the dork who would buy one only to find out there was no music on it to listen to while on the plane. They should come preloaded with like 50 songs. You buy by genre.

psycoswimmer
Dec 31, 2006, 07:27 PM
While at SFO airport in November they were selling ipods out of vending machines. I found it funny but amazingly clever...until I thought about being the dork who would buy one only to find out there was no music on it to listen to while on the plane. They should come preloaded with like 50 songs. You buy by genre.

That's actually a really, really good idea! Now in iTunes 7, isn't there a feature that takes iTunes Store-bought music off your iPod and puts it onto iTunes? I haven't used it yet but I'm sure there is. That way you would have something to listen, and be able to keep it on your computer or put it on your laptop.

OdduWon
Dec 31, 2006, 08:42 PM
Wow! sounds deceptive :eek: A person about to get on a plane buys an iPod thinking "oh cool now i have something to do for the next XX hours" only to find that there is no content on it:p Now IF apple of who ever is in charge of these vending machines put an iMac next to it, then it would a of real use at that moment. The same people who swipe their credit cards to buy the iPods could also buy music and GAMES from iTunes and sync it to their ipods, or better yet just have a bunch of music pre loaded on the Mac, and require a code to get acess to it. Since if you were to buy it from ITMS it would have to download and how would you keep your apple id/creditcard info secure. Also you have to register your iPod first to be able use it i think. This could really take off :D

thedude110
Dec 31, 2006, 09:53 PM
The vending machines are dangerous. There's one in the Macy's of our local mall and it's located along the wall of a choke pointish kinda space, and the people just sort of pile up.

I 'spose it's all part of some promise that death isn't already in you.

I 'spose, too, it's all part of some monkey instinct -- some sort of "ooh --shiny" deal. But it's also novel -- I usually turn to a vending machine to buy overpriced impending tooth rot, not overpriced impending deafness.

winmacguy
Jan 1, 2007, 04:47 AM
Happy New Year to all on the West Coast of the US. You guys are the last on the mainland to see the new year.

cube
Jan 1, 2007, 06:30 AM
It should come filled with RENTED music.

Pomares
Jan 1, 2007, 12:15 PM
I suppose that if you have $300 to swipe and get an iPod, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to either buy some wireless online time and access the iTMS or get a couple of CD's from an airport music retail store.

mjstew33
Jan 1, 2007, 01:29 PM
Wow - I'm shocked.

iPod vending machines.

What's next? :eek:

thedude110
Jan 1, 2007, 03:53 PM
Here's a link (http://homepage.mac.com/tcherna/iblog/C498653361/E44989771/Media/IMG_6531.JPG) to a pretty good pic of said machine.

If the idea is naught but a mystery to you, it's worth 5 seconds of your life.

spork183
Jan 1, 2007, 03:57 PM
Here's a link (http://homepage.mac.com/tcherna/iblog/C498653361/E44989771/Media/IMG_6531.JPG) to a pretty good pic of said machine.

If the idea is naught but a mystery to you, it's worth 5 seconds of your life.

Makes me hot just looking at it. The thought of that polished metal and those gears, churning out sleek bodies with nubile drives, just yearning for fulfillment. What more could a man want...?

GoCubsGo
Jan 1, 2007, 04:01 PM
Well actually, since I saw this itunes jukebox thing at Brookstone, why not have that. Have an integrated machine that you can load your ipod up with? I also love in that pic someone posted that they sell the damn docks too! As if someone says they need an ipod and a dock during travel! hah cute.

shamino
Jan 2, 2007, 12:23 PM
Here's the one in Atlanta's airport (taken this past August).

I've always thought that the primary sales here would be to people traveling with laptops that suddenly discover that their iPod or headphones just broke, or were accidentally left home. So they can quickly sync their new iPod to the contents of the computer's music collection. I'd also expect sales to people who need last-minute gifts for family members. I would find it hard to believe you'd get many first-time iPod owners buying one for the day's flight and then complaining about not having any music.

SPUY767
Jan 2, 2007, 01:47 PM

I've always thought that the primary sales here would be to people traveling with laptops that suddenly discover that their iPod or headphones just broke, or were accidentally left home. So they can quickly sync their new iPod to the contents of the computer's music collection. I'd also expect sales to people who need last-minute gifts for family members. I would find it hard to believe you'd get many first-time iPod owners buying one for the day's flight and then complaining about not having any music.

The busiest airport in the world has the busiest iPod vending machine. What a shocker.

adamyoshida
Jan 3, 2007, 10:28 PM

They probably do a brisk business in accessories too. On the road, I've needed to replace my headphones twice, and my synch cable once.

Mac'Mo
Jan 4, 2007, 03:11 PM
i've seen those in lots of like macys and i've never bought anything from them, seems too cheesy