Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcleland

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Nashville, TN
Ok I got some trouble with my airport. It worked fine before a storm hit. Now I can only connect to my cable modem via ethernet cable straight to my tibook. The airport lights are flashing, my mac recognizes the signal of the base station, but the cable modem will not recognize a computer is there. It works once I bypass the airport and plug the ethernet from cable modem to mac, but not going through the airport. Any ideas?

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Have you re-set everything (modem / airport / laptop)?

Check the firmware version on the airport station.

It could be fried... you do have it plugged into a nice surge supressor or a nice UPS right?

bcleland

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Nashville, TN
Yeah I have reset all three and it is plugged into a surge protector. Do you think the lights would still flicker and my mac would recognize the signal if it was fried?

Eckslusive

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
Which Airport do you have? If you have the Airport Extreme base, make sure the cables are plugged into the right port. I made a mistake when I put the Internet cable into the one that shares directly with computers. So the light would blink, but the stupid thing would connect to the internet. Exactly the same problems as you.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Are the lights flickering red or green?

Red is bad - you will need to contact Apple support.
Green is probably a reset, or channel problem.

-Wyrm

bcleland

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Nashville, TN
the lights are white. they just flash on and off as they did before everything stopped working. also i have the abs without the extreme.

AnotherMortal

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Baltimore
IP address?

Are you sure you are getting an IP address? It sounds like you are getting an IP on the wired side, but not on the wireless side. Perhaps you didn't turn on DHCP for wireless? Try manually setting the appropriate IP addresses for your laptop's airport card, and try connecting to another computer via wireless and via LAN. What we're trying to do is confirm you are getting an IP, and that the airport is routing wireless traffic to the LAN port *and* the WAN port. It sounds like an addressing issue, but if you cannot connect to LAN computers via wireless, even with IP addresses set correctly, then I would call Apple.

On another note, if you have the old Graphite Base Station, and its not working, consider replacing it :) They had capacitor issues that were underrated.

bcleland

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Nashville, TN
I think may need to contact Apple.
From what I can tell whenever I use the airport it is blocking me from connecting either wan or lan. The only way I can connect is by unhooking the abs and connecting modem straight to computer. Thanks for everyones help.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Re: Airport help

Originally posted by bcleland
... my mac recognizes the signal of the base station, but the cable modem will not recognize a computer is there. ...

So you have started up the Airport Admin application, and you are shown the ABS? Can you admin the ABS as before? Go in and see if some variables got flushed.

bcleland

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Nashville, TN
Yes I can admin the abs. My tibook reads the abs and seems to recognize everything. My DHCP seems to find the ip address and everything. Is this a channel issue? If so how do i reset it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.