Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Sounds good, now that the eMac has a new non pro keyboard, maybe the pro stuff can have more buttons or bluetooth, or something to distinguish it from "consumer" products.

smada

macrumors member
May 7, 2003
well I certainly don't speak german but from the looks of it that's just the keyboard that came out with the eMac revisions.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by smada
well I certainly don't speak german but from the looks of it that's just the keyboard that came out with the eMac revisions.

they say there will also be a new pro version

arn

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Here's a translation, courtesy of Google:

macmotion.de - with Apples modified input devices , which are delivered together with eMac the models offered in new configuration, it is to only concern according to Insider information, which just went to the editorship of macmotion.de, a new a riser line, which will not settle Apple all Macintosh models. Shortly Mouse and pro the key board are to be expected successors the pros. Both new variants are offered to hearing later also individually after over Apples on-line net curtain. On the basis of the patent for a new computer mouse with horizontal inserted Scrollrad, announced by the Mac company, may be speculated upon Design and functionality of the coming new input devices for Professionals. A erscheinungstermin is not well-known yet.

So, who thinks that we'll finally see an Apple branded multi-button mouse? If so, I'd guess that it would have at least three buttons. After all, they have a piece of software that they sell that requires a three button mouse.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
Human translation

According to insider information macmotion.de has, Apple's modified input devices released parallely to the new eMac configurations are designed for Apple's new entry-level hardware only.
Shortly, a predecessor of the Pro Mouse and Keyboard is expected. The new input hardware is supposed to be sold seperately at The Apple Store (online) later [after it has been released to the new Pro Mac line].
Based on the new patent for a mouse with horizontal scroll-wheel one can speculate about upcoming input devices for professionals.
A release date is not yet certain.

To me (especially in German) this sounds like macmotion.de does not have any insider information at all.
I reads like they have spend too much time at macrumors and picked the pieces of recent mouse/keyboad rumors and put them together. ;)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
sounds like you're right... :)

oh well...

arn

mim

macrumors 6502
ANOTHER mouse thread?!

No more mouse posts, or I promise - I do truly promise - that I will release a drawing of my very own mouse design which is so good and incorporates so many features that it will literally burn your retina to a crisp!

And I will, in complete disregard of international trademark laws and general good taste, PUT AN APPLE LOGO ON IT AND POST IT TO SPYMAC!

You have been warned!

a.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
"In Kürze sei mit Nachfolgern der Pro Mouse und des Pro Keyboards zu rechnen. Beide neue Varianten werden dem Vernehmen nach später auch einzeln über Apples Online-Store angeboten. Auf der Basis des von der Mac-Company angemeldeten Patents für eine neue Computermaus mit horizontal eingebautem Scrollrad darf über Design und Funktionalität der kommenden neuen Eingabegeräte für Professionals spekuliert werden. Ein Erscheinungstermin ist noch nicht bekannt."

...it's just a summary of the rumors that people have already discussed here!

- 1st: "dem vernehmen nach": from hearings (=rumor has it)

- 2nd: "...darf ueber design und funktionalitaet der kommenden neuen eingabegeraete nur spekuliert werden": design and functionality of the upcoming devices are pure speculation

they obviously have no sources! I think it's funny that they nevertheless insist that the devices are coming...

I rather rely on Arn than on some speculations from fellow landsmen ;)

vSpacken

andrewlandry

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2002
NYC
hmmm, i hadn't thought about bluetooth - but it would make a lot of sense, since most of their line has been gaining bluetooth support and so far, few people have devices that take advantage of it. a standard bluetooth mouse and or keyboard would certainly attract more attention to this technology.

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
To preserve their currnt aesthetic, maybe apple will make a scrollpad-clear plastic version of the Logitech MX700, with the single plastic top (crack between two buttons allows flexing of shell, resulting in button action), or a touchpad-buttoned mouse (very doubtful).

mim: Post away, at least I'd like to see your "so good" design (no sarcasm intended).

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
hmm, if they just did it on the pro line, i could actually see bluetooth happening...

still doubt multibutton...

pnw

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
god I hope so......
I can not live w/o 2 buttons and a scroll
wheel... ok I might live, but it would be
in utter agony. A BT (wireless), multibutton,
scroll wheel mouse would rock.

shawnjackson

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by Snowy_River

So, who thinks that we'll finally see an Apple branded multi-button mouse? If so, I'd guess that it would have at least three buttons. After all, they have a piece of software that they sell that requires a three button mouse. [/B]

what software is that?

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by scem0
god I hope so......
I can not live w/o 2 buttons and a scroll
wheel... ok I might live, but it would be
in utter agony. A BT (wireless), multibutton,
scroll wheel mouse would rock.

I still dont see any advantage of bluetooth mics or keyboards. I would rather have a cable on my mouse than have to keep putting batteries in or recharging it. And as apple have tried (and succeeded) in making me into an advocate of a one button mouse. Multibutton mice are useful and all but if ya know all the keystrokes for any program like FCP or something, a multibutton mouse isnt that useful. Its only one or two extra buttons.

I can see how it would be useful for a number of things, im just saying that i have no problem with apple sticking with a one button mouse. (Note : this is just my personal opinion)

MacMan4Life

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2002
Oregon
Scroll Wheel

This is a complete guess, but might Apple and Sir Steve use a iPod-esque scroll wheel. I mean a circular touch pad at the top of the mouse with one button in the center and another using the outer ring? This makes sense as I have read else where that Apple wants to make scrolling easier and more of a fluid motion, rahter that the choppy scrolling with Windows PoS, in mean XP.

Combine this with bluetooth and I will pass up the Kennsington wireless mouse that costs $90 and stick with Apple Pro series.

This is just my $0.02 on the subject.

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
Re: Scroll Wheel

Originally posted by MacMan4Life
This is a complete guess, but might Apple and Sir Steve use a iPod-esque scroll wheel. I mean a circular touch pad at the top of the mouse with one button in the center and another using the outer ring? This makes sense as I have read else where that Apple wants to make scrolling easier and more of a fluid motion, rahter that the choppy scrolling with Windows PoS, in mean XP...

You mean like the one for which Apple recently made a patent application? (Sorry to post same image in two threads.) The thing that seems surprising (to me) about this drawing and its description is that Apple has moved away from the MOVING scroll wheel on the iPods...

Attachments

• mouse1.jpg
    mouse1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 280

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Can anyone explain how an iPod-style disc on a mouse would be intuitive to use for horizontal and vertical scrolling? It would also seem more uncomfortable to use than the old-school "wheel" on a third-party mouse.

smada

macrumors member
May 7, 2003
well how is the old-school wheel an intuitive method for horizontal scrolling? the only way to actually make it intuitive would be if you had two wheels.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
I first wondered how you'd use an iPod-style disc for horizontal and vertical scrolling.

Then I suggested that rolling a wheel on a mouse seemed like it would be more comfortable to use than moving your finger in a circular motion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.