PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 not turning on

terriyaki
Jan 2, 2007, 01:02 PM
I have a 12" 1.33Ghz iBook G4 that does not respond when I try to turn it on. Every now and then I can hear the hard drives spin up but after that nothing happens. I've tried to make sure the problem wasn't being caused by my AC adaptor and battery and they seem to be fine. I even tried to remove my third party Crucial 1GB stick of RAM and it still won't work. :(

Is there anything else I can try before I head over to the nearest Apple store?

JAT
Jan 2, 2007, 11:52 PM
PMU reset? Otherwise somethings broke.

dornoforpyros
Jan 3, 2007, 12:20 AM
your HD is most likely dead. Sounds exactly like what happened to my powerbook with the HD died.

terriyaki
Jan 3, 2007, 12:53 AM
*Phew* It worked after a PMU reset.

I'm thinking the problem was caused by static build up under my iSkin keyboard protector. In the past I've removed my iSkin keyboard protector before while my iBook was on and it caused it to hard lock. Last night, after turning my iBook off, the last thing I did was remove the iSkin to clean it. That must have been the culprit, which is a shame really because I love my iSkin. It makes my keyboard feel so much better and it also makes it so much more quieter. It also protects my keys from hand oils and dirt. I hope I don't run into this problem often.

Has anyone else out there experienced a problem similar to this? If so what did you do to solve it? Also, if this problem was caused by static build-up, are there any risks of long term or more serious problems to my iBook if I continue to use my iSkin?

persianpunisher
Jan 3, 2007, 03:12 AM
I had a similar problem on my 1.42 GHZ 14" iBook. It wouldn't turn on, AT ALL. No HD spinning or anything. Resetting PMU did nothing, and it was only 14 months old. Apple offered to fix it for $300, but with no coverage on the parts. I got rid of it, and bought a Macbook instead. Couldn't be happier