PDA

View Full Version : iBook radio transmitter

dansuz1
Jan 2, 2007, 02:23 PM
I recently used my iBook with a AC/DC power inverter on a long car trip to allow my kids to watch videos and give my wife and me some peace and quiet. The problem was that they had a lot of trouble with the earphones I gave them.

I was wondering if anyone knows of some device that transmits to a car radio (like the iPod transmitters) from an iBook?

Thanks for your ideas,

Dan

Reflow
Jan 2, 2007, 03:31 PM
I recently used my iBook with a AC/DC power inverter on a long car trip to allow my kids to watch videos and give my wife and me some peace and quiet. The problem was that they had a lot of trouble with the earphones I gave them.

I was wondering if anyone knows of some device that transmits to a car radio (like the iPod transmitters) from an iBook?

Thanks for your ideas,

Dan

I personally would buy a portable DVD player since now they are so cheap for the car. They work great with my 2 kids

dansuz1
Jan 2, 2007, 03:36 PM
The ibook has a 14" (?) screen that is bigger than most portable DVD players, plus I'm incredibly cheap, plus the DVD player still leaves me with the same sound problem..doesn't it?

Reflow
Jan 2, 2007, 03:38 PM
The ibook has a 14" (?) screen that is bigger than most portable DVD players, plus I'm incredibly cheap, plus the DVD player still leaves me with the same sound problem..doesn't it?

Not really. I have one with a y connector and it shares the sound. Maybe you could visit Radio shack and get a y connector

Reflow
Jan 2, 2007, 03:39 PM
The ibook has a 14" (?) screen that is bigger than most portable DVD players

Oh I guess the size does matter. Good call

dansuz1
Jan 2, 2007, 03:40 PM
I guess what I mean is that the kids still don't like wearing the headphones, so I still need some way to use the car stereo.

Reflow
Jan 2, 2007, 03:44 PM
I guess what I mean is that the kids still don't like wearing the headphones, so I still need some way to use the car stereo.

Well you got me on this. I don't know if it is possible to do but I might be wrong

j26
Jan 2, 2007, 03:49 PM
Buy a cheap set of portable speakers and hang them off the headrests.

dansuz1
Jan 2, 2007, 03:50 PM
Great idea (and cheap!). Then my wife and I can still use the radio.

Thanks.

Dan

joshysquashy
Jan 2, 2007, 03:59 PM
ok, am i on another planet? ibooks have built in speakers, why do you need external ones?!

j26
Jan 2, 2007, 04:04 PM
If they're like the MacBook they're a bit crap and you wouldn't hear them over the road noise.

joshysquashy
Jan 2, 2007, 04:08 PM
if you want the ibook to play on the car stereo, buy a cassette adapter, or any transmitter that gets audio from a stereo jack source rather than a dock adapter, as ibooks do not have the latter (duh!!)

i think this could all get rather complicated though, other options (previously mentioned) are to plug in external speakers (battery powered), get different headphones, or get a different dvd/music system entirely.

personally I feel sick if i try to watch a movie, or read a book on the road!