PDA

View Full Version : I need help fixing a broken Ipod Mini.

Ragnarok96
Jan 2, 2007, 04:11 PM
Hi, my friend gave my an Ipod mini that worked when he gave it to me. Few days later, it started to not turn on. Instead, when I press the on button, it just shows that frown ipod face, and tells me to visit apple.com/support/ipod.

I've tried to look for anything that'll help me. I know that the battery is fully charged because when I plug in the firewire, it doesn't charge.

Also, when I turn the ipod on, it continuously makes this weird noise inside the ipod. It's just really annoying.

Is there any solution to my problem?

KD7IWP
Jan 2, 2007, 07:13 PM
Your hard drive is toast. I just replaced the one in my mini, it was really easy. You need a Microdrive (it's a hard drive the size of a compact flash card) and you put it in your mini to replace the old one. Mine was $35 on ebay. Open the mini and pop it in. It took me 15 minutes to replace and there are many tutorials online on how to do it.

Mac'Mo
Jan 2, 2007, 07:15 PM
why not just go to genius bar / apple care

Ragnarok96
Jan 2, 2007, 08:27 PM
Your hard drive is toast. I just replaced the one in my mini, it was really easy. You need a Microdrive (it's a hard drive the size of a compact flash card) and you put it in your mini to replace the old one. Mine was $35 on ebay. Open the mini and pop it in. It took me 15 minutes to replace and there are many tutorials online on how to do it.

Can you give me some links for the tuts?

fivetoadsloth
Jan 2, 2007, 10:07 PM
here are a couple turorials

one (http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11293_7-6378822-1.html?tag=nav)
THe one above has a video^^

two (http://www.fstop-blues.com/2005/04/replace-your-ipod-mini-battery.html)

It isnt hard, good luck!

KD7IWP
Jan 3, 2007, 01:23 AM
looks like fivetoadsloth got to it before me :)

Blackhawk2006
Jan 4, 2007, 05:42 AM
if its a hard drive failure wud replacing the battery help? oh btw if u get the folder icon coming up give the ipod a tap on each side ... (hey it worked for me)

fivetoadsloth
Jan 5, 2007, 11:22 PM
looks like fivetoadsloth got to it before me :)

Heh, im getting to used to be getting beat by:
Mad Jew
Doctor Q
WildCowboy
and many others

Though they do save me alot of time. :)