Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
someone in my area is selling an ibook on craigslist for cheap.

the only problem they state is this...

"There is one small problem with the laptop though. For some reason when the screen is opened past 90 degrees the screen goes dim. I just close back to 90 degrees and it works fine. The computer itself does not turn off when this happens."

whats wrong with it? too much trouble/money to fix?

its a 700mhz ibook g3 14" 20gb, 256ram going for $250.

worth it or not?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
The very same thing happened to my 500 MHz iBook and it was a problem with the connection from the display to the logicboard. So it needed a new display wiring harness.

It could also be a pinched display cable as well for your issue. There's no set in stone answer and its hard to tell whether or its costly unless you actually start narrowing the problem down. Its up to you if you want to take the risk.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Probably a sign of bad things to come. On the other hand, it'd make a nifty little headless unit...

Which is what I now have with my iBook. :D It still works fine if you run it out to an external display, but it kinda defeats the purpose of a portable. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.