View Full Version : BTO 12" Powerbook delayed til next Tuesday...Updates Coming?

May 9, 2003, 07:51 AM
I know it's a stretch, but I ordered a 12" Powerbook on Monday with some extra options, and was supposed to receive it tomorrow or next Monday, but it has now been pushed back to not ship until next Tuesday (5/13). Here's what I upgraded: 640mb Ram, 60gb HD, Airport Extreme Card and Base Station. The only thing I can think is that the hard drive is what's holding it up....otherwise, does anyone think it could have been delayed because of an impending update to the model?

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet, but I was just curious if anyone could confirm my suspicion. Thanks.

May 9, 2003, 08:04 AM
Very very very unlikely...

Adding options on orders, such as memory / HD does lead to arbitary delays in my experience, anything to weeks in some cases.

With my cynical hat on, if apple were just about to upgrade the line, I imagine they'd be MORE than happy to sell you an old one, just to shift stocks.

May 9, 2003, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I would tend to agree. The only reason I thought of it is because the last computer we ordered at work was delayed in the same fashion. We ordered a week before new models were to come out, got an email about it being delayed with no reason specified, and then the following Tuesday got an email that we could upgrade to the new model (which was the dreaded "wind tunnel" MDD that came out last fall). I think if it's ordered within about a week of a new model coming out, they hold the order because they don't have the same thing you ordered anymore and need to ask if you want to upgrade (but not until after the announcement is made).

Like I said, a stretch, but I can always dream, right?

May 9, 2003, 08:33 AM
It would be nice indeed, but its still to early.

I don't think we'll see new powerbooks until june/july... Only a guess obviously, but its usually 6 months between models.

I've got money in my pocket iching to buy a powerbook or powermac, if/when new processors arrive... its iching I tell you!

May 9, 2003, 10:29 AM
how about itching... :p

May 9, 2003, 11:24 AM
Don't be cheeky :)

I'll go back to my iching...

May 10, 2003, 04:58 PM
While I doubt it too, I wouldn't complain too much. I'm waiting for an update to the 15" before I buy one, and I'm stuck on an old 3400 until then.

But, wait, wasn't there a rumor that the new 970s were going to be announced around May 15th? Next Tuesday is May 13th... Hmm....

Most likely just wishful thinking, but I've got that itchy money, too...

May 10, 2003, 06:41 PM
Hmmm, I just checked my money. It's definetly itching rather than iching. If it was i-ching I guess it might be able to tell me when I should spend it.....

My biggest gripe with the current 12" is no L3 cache. If that came standard I'd probably have one by now. I may just end up waiting until the 970's :(



May 10, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Snowy_River
But, wait, wasn't there a rumor that the new 970s were going to be announced around May 15th? Next Tuesday is May 13th... Hmm....

This whole iching/i-ching thing has given me an idea. Why don't we try and determine the release dates of the 970 with some spirtituality?!

Does anyone know an astrologer/medium or have tarrot cards or an ouija board? We should give it a go - I mean it couldn't be any less accurate than OSRumors could it?

heh - MacOuija. I can see it now :D


May 11, 2003, 02:22 PM
u cant keep waiting to get a new mac, because as soon as one model comes out there already getting a better model ready for shipping a few months later. just get one now, otherwise you'll be waiting for months just to get a computer that will be superseeded by another model, just get a 12" PowerBook, ive just got one and its great.