PDA

View Full Version : Macs crowd out Linux on corporate desktops but no threat to ...

MacBytes
Jan 2, 2007, 07:42 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Macs crowd out Linux on corporate desktops but no threat to Windows (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070102204248)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

SPUY767
Jan 3, 2007, 02:51 PM
This guy is a genius. He says, that Mac OS X, an operating system that offers all the benefits of Linux without any of the drawbacks, i.e. learning curve, would pose more of a threat to linux thatn to Windows in which many corporations have a hardware and software investment that ties them to a burgeoning platform. Someone call Nobel.

Compile 'em all
Jan 3, 2007, 06:02 PM
You can't compete with FREE. Period.

psychofreak
Jan 3, 2007, 06:04 PM

Steve can.

jsw
Jan 3, 2007, 06:04 PM
Of course you can. Free doesn't always or even usually mean better (although it clearly does sometimes).

skunk
Jan 3, 2007, 06:07 PM
M$ have been claiming for years that TCO is higher with Linux than with Windows, despite it being "free".

sabbath999
Jan 3, 2007, 06:23 PM

But "free" has a market share of about 3 percent... which means that 97 percent of the computers are running a "Paid" OS...

If you can't compete with it, can you stomp the living snot out of it instead?

zap2
Jan 3, 2007, 07:00 PM

Watch them....Linux is beaten by Mac OS X and Windows XP is market share.

Compile 'em all
Jan 4, 2007, 09:36 AM
Of course you can. Free doesn't always or even usually mean better (although it clearly does sometimes).

I am sorry, may be I wasn't clear enough about the word 'free'. What I meant is free as in freedom not free as in beer. People/companies use Linux because the freedom it offers; the ability to modify, tinker and do whatever you please with the OS. This is something that both MS Windows and Apple's OS X will ALWAYS lack. Plain and simple, Linux is not about market share, but choice. Those how choose to use Linux usually don't do that because it costs no money :).

Silencio
Jan 4, 2007, 12:46 PM
People/companies use Linux because [of] the freedom it offers [...]

And people/companies use Mac OS X and Windows because they can be more productive doing tasks directly related to their businesses on those platforms.

Don't get me wrong, I think Linux is generally a very good thing. It's especially ideal in the server room where the people who directly interact with it every day truly know what they're doing, and that's a pretty big and important market to serve, that's for sure. However, I'm still skeptical that ease of use and availability of more mainstream applications will reach critical mass for widespread adoption of Linux on the desktop any time soon.

Blue Velvet
Jan 4, 2007, 12:58 PM
Can I run QuarkXpress and the entire Adobe Creative Suite on Linux? Let alone MS Office, Art Director's Toolkit, CDFinder, Extensis Suitcase Server, Dantz Retrospect, Toast, etc.? Will Linux handle a colour-calibrated workflow or play nicely with OpenType fonts? Can I run my colour printer's RIP on a Linux machine?

And that's just work stuff.

For the majority of people, the applications are what drives them towards an OS decision; Linux just doesn't factor into the equation. If all of this stuff was suddenly unavailable for OSX, I'd have no choice but to get a Windows machine.

<shudder>

Earendil
Jan 4, 2007, 01:14 PM
Not to nitpick the writer, but...
...Do these guys actually have college degrees or any background in writing? I can't spell worth ***** (or even write for that matter), but the few journalism classes I've taken (all photo related) pound into your head the power of words.

It would seem to me, that to say currently MacOSX is only replacing Linux desktops, and thus is no threat to Windows, is foolish. Its mere presence in the corporate environment poses quite the threat. Perhaps what he meant to say is that MacOSX is having no impact on the windows corporate world.

threat |?ret|
noun

1. a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done : members of her family have received death threats. • Law a menace of bodily harm, such as may restrain a person's freedom of action.

2. a person or thing likely to cause damage or danger : hurricane damage poses a major threat to many coastal communities. • the possibility of trouble, danger, or ruin : [I]the company faces the threat of bankruptcy | thousands of railroad jobs came under threat.

Compile 'em all
Jan 4, 2007, 06:26 PM
And people/companies use Mac OS X and Windows because they can be more productive doing tasks directly related to their businesses on those platforms.

Don't get me wrong, I think Linux is generally a very good thing. It's especially ideal in the server room where the people who directly interact with it every day truly know what they're doing, and that's a pretty big and important market to serve, that's for sure. However, I'm still skeptical that ease of use and availability of more mainstream applications will reach critical mass for widespread adoption of Linux on the desktop any time soon.

I 100% agree on the Linux adoption thing. I never said that Linux will take over the world or anything :). I just said that those who do use Linux use it because of the freedom to modify everything down to the kernel level; You can run Linux on just about everything from small routers up to gigantic super-computers.