PDA

View Full Version : Adulthood starts at 26???


lmalave
May 9, 2003, 09:57 AM
According to a new survey, Americans consider adulthood to start at 26.

http://msnbc.com/news/911377.asp?0cv=CB20

Sweet! I guess that makes me a young adult. Here I was thinking that I was 4 years into my adulthood when I was 21, but it turns out I'm 4 years into my adulthood now :p

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2003, 10:05 AM
Well, according to that, I'm still not grown up at 38 ;)

I was still in school at 26 and I haven't yet begun to raise a familly. :D

D

wdlove
May 9, 2003, 10:29 AM
Dukestreet I love your new Avatar, inspirational. :)

I'm glad to see that it's 26, that means that I was an adult when I got married. My wife was almost 2 years past.

Mr. Anderson
May 9, 2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by wdlove
Dukestreet I love your new Avatar, inspirational. :)


Its an old 'tar from last year - I was feeling nostalgic and sort of wishing I was back in Fiji where I took that pic ;)

D

wdlove
May 9, 2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Its an old 'tar from last year - I was feeling nostalgic and sort of wishing I was back in Fiji where I took that pic ;)

D

Nostalgia is a good thing! ;) I can see that by that small glimpse of Fiji that you wish you were back. Any plans for a visit. Were you there for vacation or work?

sparkleytone
May 9, 2003, 11:20 AM
sounds right to me. i still feel like im piddling my way through childhood at 22 :) seriously tho i don't quite feel like an adult, being that i am still finishing school. and when im 26 i'll probably be headed towards a doctorate or something. :-/

patrick0brien
May 9, 2003, 11:51 AM
-All

I've noticed that in the corporate world, one is referred to as a "kid" until it starts falling off in the thirties. Perhaps there's truth to the article. :D

Glossybear
May 9, 2003, 12:33 PM
Best news I've heard all day!

I've got another good year before I have to start taing things seriously.

maradong
May 9, 2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
sounds right to me. i still feel like im piddling my way through childhood at 22 :) seriously tho i don't quite feel like an adult, being that i am still finishing school. and when im 26 i'll probably be headed towards a doctorate or something. :-/

hm, nice quote.. perhaps people should really think of what they are doing :)

Stelliform
May 9, 2003, 03:11 PM
At 26 I had two kids. I really didn't feel like an adult until I had the responsibility of children weighing me down. (At 22) I would say that it is hard to justify when you are adult. I feel like an adult more now than ever, but in a couple of years I am sure I will think I am niave now. :)

Edited for spelling. :)

brogers
May 9, 2003, 11:29 PM
I had my first child at 26 and had been married for 4 year. I really feel that was when I reached adulthood. Sounds right to me...based on my own experience though.

Now I have been married 12 years with two more kids....that's three in all. If I'm not an adult now, I guess I never will be.

QCassidy352
May 10, 2003, 01:01 AM
don't you have to be 26 before you can rent a car or something absurd like that?

MacBandit
May 10, 2003, 01:06 AM
Wow I'm 25, 26 this year and I just lost my full time job of 7 years and haven't finished school. I will be married this year and probably won't be raising a family for at least 2-3 more years. So where does that leave me? Permanent adolescence? I guess it could be worse. I always said I refuse to grow up.

With my full time job of 7 years and having the responsibility of a Service Manager, Parts Manager, Sales Manager and Technician. I felt pretty grown up with too much responsibility. Now that it's all over I can be a kid again.

patrick0brien
May 10, 2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
don't you have to be 26 before you can rent a car or something absurd like that?

-QCassidy352

25 with Hertz in the States. There's an age discrimination case pending though.

pivo6
May 10, 2003, 10:49 AM
26 sounds a little low at least for me. I was married at 25, but didn't have kids until 32. Now, I have 2 children and a house and I now feel like an adult.

Stelliform
May 10, 2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by pivo6
26 sounds a little low at least for me. I was married at 25, but didn't have kids until 32. Now, I have 2 children and a house and I now feel like an adult.

Seems like more than a few of us feel like they became adults after they had kids. I guess it is always having to be the responsible person. Or mabey there is something biological that flips a switch when you have to care for a child.

(Or mabey it is the lack of sleep... I dunno. :D)

Sorry for the rambling, I got 8 hours of sleep last night and I am loopy today from too much sleep. ;)

wdlove
May 10, 2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Wow I'm 25, 26 this year and I just lost my full time job of 7 years and haven't finished school. I will be married this year and probably won't be raising a family for at least 2-3 more years. So where does that leave me? Permanent adolescence? I guess it could be worse. I always said I refuse to grow up.

With my full time job of 7 years and having the responsibility of a Service Manager, Parts Manager, Sales Manager and Technician. I felt pretty grown up with too much responsibility. Now that it's all over I can be a kid again.

Take heart MacBandit, you are always a kid at heart! ;)

pivo6
May 10, 2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Stelliform
Seems like more than a few of us feel like they became adults after they had kids. I guess it is always having to be the responsible person. Or mabey there is something biological that flips a switch when you have to care for a child.

I think it was the combination of having a child and buying my first house that did it. Nothing like having a mortgage that makes you feel like an adult.