PDA

View Full Version : Macworld

Metatron
Jan 3, 2007, 05:15 AM
I have never been to a MW event and know nothing of the layout, setting, etc. so someone can probably close this thread quick. But considering apple will not give us a live feed of MW, audio or video, why is it in a world of 3G cell phones no one can stream and multicast an audio or video stream from thier cell phone? I am sure there are plenty of sites wanting hits, advertising or just popluarity which are willing to donate the bandwidth. Like I said, enviroment might make this impossible. Even if video is out of the question (someone holding thier hand up for 2 hours...right, I know) audio would still be nice. Just something about the live experience that is so much better than going to the apple store, reading all the specs, then watching the keynote. It is like knowing the end score of the SuperBowl before watching it because it was tapped.

Don't get me wrong, love the MR live feeds. I am a starved individual and will eat whatever I can get. It would just be nice.

Knox
Jan 3, 2007, 05:33 AM
It would be nice, but there are significant hurdles with streaming when you scale up to the volumes that a public keynote stream would attract. There are very few organisations with the infrastructure to serve large numbers of simultaneous streams, and even with donated bandwidth you then have the logistical problem of sending the feed from the source to multiple distribution points.

Working out the logistics of getting photos on MacRumorsLive has been complicated enough, never mind going up to audio/video :)

Metatron
Jan 3, 2007, 08:29 AM
So, to completely hijack my own thread, just noticed we both joined in July 2002. Just thought I would mention it as we old timers seem to be slowly leaving.

And for the shear hell of it, we could always attach one of those directional sound amplifiers, a.k.a bionic ears, to a cell phone to reduce the background clutter.

Yes I realize at this point I am being foolish, but in all practicality, it seems you are saying it would be possible, just not plausible.

Knox
Jan 3, 2007, 09:42 AM
So, to completely hijack my own thread, just noticed we both joined in July 2002. Just thought I would mention it as we old timers seem to be slowly leaving.

Yeah, I did spot that as well I have to admit. I've always lurked so no change for me. :)

Yes I realize at this point I am being foolish, but in all practicality, it seems you are saying it would be possible, just not plausible.

Oh it's definitely possible, but really there's only one company that could realistically cope with the traffic - Akamai - and even they would likely have problems. 150,000 people streaming 300kbit video would be about 44 Gbit/sec, which would be about 10-15% of Akamai's entire global bandwidth usage and 50% of their streams. Even audio would be 10 Gbit/sec for a 64 kbit stream.

At the moment the 'net isn't really designed for TV-style live broadcasts - need multicast to be better supported before it becomes a reality I think.

UberMac
Jan 3, 2007, 09:49 AM
Perhaps this isn't your kind of fun...but...why not just sit and read a book (or whatever activity you enjoy which ISN'T involved with a computer) whilst the keynote is on. Then an hour or so hours after the keynote finishes log on to www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/appleevents/mwsf07 (I just generated that address, look at last ears Macworld stream, and just change 06 to 07) and then watch the keynote as though it's live?

Uber

Metatron
Jan 3, 2007, 07:14 PM
Working out the logistics of getting photos on MacRumorsLive has been complicated enough, never mind going up to audio/video :)

I just noticed your website and it had MacRumorsLive under the sample portfolio. I am sure you were credited and it posted somewhere else, but hell, you designed and host MRL? Guess you really would be the authority in that area.

And about being a lurker. You were not kidding. I though I was one of the oldest members with few post. ;)

Killyp
Jan 4, 2007, 06:52 AM
I believe there are going to be Audio clips of some sort here on MacRumors.

I wonder what kind of bandwidth Arn has?

psychofreak
Jan 4, 2007, 06:58 AM
What if it was a privilege given to those who have donated, would the bandwidth be too much? (I will soon, promise...)

lexus
Jan 5, 2007, 03:00 PM
Dont they block telecommunications?

Knox
Jan 6, 2007, 07:24 AM
Dont they block telecommunications?

Wifi is switched off yes, but cell phones still work.

What if it was a privilege given to those who have donated, would the bandwidth be too much? (I will soon, promise...)

To be honest that would be feasible from a server point of view, but it could be seen as "charging" to view the keynote, which Apple could object to, and getting the video out of the hall at a decent quality could be difficult.

I believe there are going to be Audio clips of some sort here on MacRumors.

I wonder what kind of bandwidth Arn has?

*worries for his servers* No-one told me that bit! ;) No, no audio, just photos.

I just noticed your website and it had MacRumorsLive under the sample portfolio. I am sure you were credited and it posted somewhere else, but hell, you designed and host MRL? Guess you really would be the authority in that area.

Yeah, 'tis a little (ha!) pet project. Interesting to work on for a developer/admin - something completely different from the norm.