PDA

View Full Version : New iPods now available in Japan...YEAH!!

iAlan
May 9, 2003, 11:27 AM
Picked up my new iPod today here in Tokyo. Must say the wait was worth it, I have been salivating since the announcemnt. The Bic Camera Halc store was selling them like hotcakes, luckily i ordered one a week in advance. The store also had an Apple rep giving a little demonstration.

Got the 30GB model. Also have the original 5 GB model (must say I like the rotary wheel better than the track pad wheel). Washed my hand so as not to get dirty little fingerprints on it - didn't help...that silever metal backing is just ready for a smudge or two.

Started re-burning my CD's when iTunes 4 was released (downloaded it immediately) and have been scanning CD covers for the artwork. Can't wait for Apple to go global with the music store... just browsing and playing around with it at the moment.

YEAH!:p

ozubahn
May 9, 2003, 11:46 AM
I just picked one up at Yodobashi. I took it home, loaded up all my music, played with it for a while, then held down the play button to turn it off.

And now it won't wake up. :(

It is completely inert. The screen is blank, and it doesn't respond to any of the buttons, either on the main unit or the remote. It does nothing at all if I plug it into the dock or directly via the cable. Totally dead. Does anyone know if there is a quick fix for this, or do I have to go back and exercise my very poor Japanese by trying to get an exchange? Ugg.

Wes
May 9, 2003, 11:51 AM
Hmm, I dunno if this works on the touch sensitive buttons, but on my 10 gig Rev. 2 model, you hold Play, Center Button (ok) and Menu. Good luck!

ozubahn
May 9, 2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Wes
Hmm, I dunno if this works on the touch sensitive buttons, but on my 10 gig Rev. 2 model, you hold Play, Center Button (ok) and Menu. Good luck!

That did the trick. Thanks a lot! I am upgrading from an original 5gig iPod, which despite being the very first version never gave me any trouble at all. Having never needed to reset an iPod in a year and a half of use, it didn't even occur to me to try that. Or maybe it is just that it's 2am over here and my brain is no longer functioning. In any case, thanks again. :)

toughboy
May 9, 2003, 12:07 PM
I wished the distributor in Turkey could bring those lovely iPods soon too.. but they dont even give the news in their website!!! :( :(

sparks9
May 9, 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by toughboy
I wished the distributor in Turkey could bring those lovely iPods soon too.. but they dont even give the news in their website!!! :( :(

Poor you. :( Can't you order at Apple's website?

Wyrm
May 10, 2003, 08:52 PM
I was at BicBic's Halc yesterday too - you couldn't get off the escalator without bumping into a big bin of the new iPods.. oh, and a cute girl (but they are everywhere :p )

-Wyrm

Wyrm
May 10, 2003, 08:54 PM
Oh - sorry forgot to ask the question that I was going to ask - I guess the cute girl thing clouded my mind... :D

Were you able to haggle the price down?

-Wyrm

bennetsaysargh
May 10, 2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by iAlan
Started re-ripping my CD's when iTunes 4 was released (downloaded it immediately) and have been scanning CD covers for the artwork. Can't wait for Apple to go global with the music store... just browsing and playing around with it at the moment.

YEAH!:p

the only reason i think apple isn't going global with the apple store yet is because of not being able to bill people out of the US right now.
or something like that:?:

Wyrm
May 11, 2003, 02:02 AM
Re: Japan music store
It could be more legal.. the entertainment industry is very protective, and likes to market to different places at different prices (usually more)... heck, look at DVD regions! Argh. :(

-Wyrm

yoyogi
May 12, 2003, 06:01 AM
Hi tokyo/japan guys.
I am after a used ipod.

Or will trade for cute girl.

iAlan.. you have 2... sell me one!

yoyogi

neier
May 12, 2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by yoyogi
Hi tokyo/japan guys.
I am after a used ipod.

iAlan.. you have 2... sell me one!

yoyogi

Yoyogi -- The Yahoo! Japan auction site has some older models on sale.
(iPods -- not cute girls).

Prices aren't great, but it's an option.

yoyogi
May 12, 2003, 08:38 AM
Hi neier,

Thanks for your reply - but I cant read/speak japanese so I cant use the yahoo site. :confused:

I think my only choice is to hang out in these forums and hassle the tokyo kids!

Do you know how much they sell for second hand?

yoyogi

neier
May 12, 2003, 08:50 AM
Some random samplings from current auctions (with various time remaining, so all are subject to change -- in yen):

10G old style, new condition: 30,000
10G old style: 17,000
20G: 35,000
5G, wheel: 15,000

And, one of my favorites: A cannibalized 30G, without hard drive (http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/54770952) for 15,500 :confused:

If you're in Tokyo, you should be able to find someplace in Akihabara that is selling them used as well.

ozubahn
May 12, 2003, 09:07 AM
Hi tokyo/japan guys.
I am after a used ipod.

yoyogi

Ha ha. I had planned to give my old 5gb to my little brother, but tell me more about this girl...
:)

yoyogi
May 12, 2003, 09:18 AM
she is very cute and fun, but she is worth a 30 gig ipod.

i have a sony mp3 cd player with remote in mint condition. i could trade you for the ipod + $$$ and you can give that to your lil bro!

he will be happy with 700mb of music in his pocket.

when i was a kid i had to wait 30 minutes for the tape to load on the commodore 64 just to play commando. kids these days have it so easy with big brothers giving them ipods!

lets do a deal! i want an ipod sooo bad!

ahh!

yoyogi

[edit: thanks neier for the ipod prices! a bit pricey for used ipods, ne! you can get new ones for around that price!]

5300cs
May 12, 2003, 10:37 AM
Tokyo gets everything faster ... :mad: :(

SPG
May 13, 2003, 12:28 AM
I was going to buy one before leaving Tokyo yesterday so I could give my fiance my old one, but I couldn't find one in time... Oh well, I'll buy one here and ship my old 5gig over to her.
How much are they going for in yen? Maybe I'll just have her buy the new one for me!

yoyogi
May 13, 2003, 01:22 AM
New ipods

http://store.apple.com/0120-APPLE-1/WebObjects/japanstore?family=iPod

10 GB 36,800 Yen
15 GB 47,800 Yen
30 GB 58,800 Yen

Plux Tax.

tooo expensive for me!

bennetsaysargh
May 13, 2003, 05:46 AM
New ipods

10 GB 36,800 Yen
15 GB 47,800 Yen
30 GB 58,800 Yen

Plux Tax.

tooo expensive for me!

same here. i had to save up since they first came out to get one. abpout one and a half years. and i thought 5GB would hold all of my music. HA!
good luck on your quest for an iPod!:D:D

SPG
May 14, 2003, 10:43 AM
New ipods

10 GB 36,800 Yen
15 GB 47,800 Yen
30 GB 58,800 Yen

Plux Tax.

tooo expensive for me!

Yoyogi, Thanks for posting that. I guess I should've just looked it up myself.
Hmm, with the yen:dollar conversion, it's the same price or a couple dollars less than in the US.