PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Computers (beginner)

Howard Brazee
Jan 3, 2007, 10:06 AM
I have some questions about using multiple computers with my iPod.

1. I would like to plug in my iPod at work to keep it charged. But it keeps loading an old version of iTunes (is that on my iPod?), and telling me to install the current version. I don't have privelege to do that.

2. When I connected it to my 2nd computer, it asked for my Apple ID. I'd like to use someone else's laptop on a trip to charge my iPod (and to watch videos). But I don't want to install my Apple ID on that laptop. Is that possible?

3. My wife has enough money for half a Mac and expects to buy a Mac in March. I expect to have money in about a year. If we go Mac though, it appears that I won't be able to plug it in at work at all. Does Apple have any plans on making iPods compatible with mixed systems - or are they figuring that our switching to Macs is a dumb idea?

Roy Hobbs
Jan 3, 2007, 12:49 PM

1. I would like to plug in my iPod at work to keep it charged. But it keeps loading an old version of iTunes (is that on my iPod?), and telling me to install the current version. I don't have privelege to do that.

2. When I connected it to my 2nd computer, it asked for my Apple ID. I'd like to use someone else's laptop on a trip to charge my iPod (and to watch videos). But I don't want to install my Apple ID on that laptop. Is that possible?

3. My wife has enough money for half a Mac and expects to buy a Mac in March. I expect to have money in about a year. If we go Mac though, it appears that I won't be able to plug it in at work at all. Does Apple have any plans on making iPods compatible with mixed systems - or are they figuring that our switching to Macs is a dumb idea?

1. iTunes is not installed on you iPod an older version must be installed on that computer.

2. No clue

3. Format the iPod on a windows machine, then it will be readable my both Macs and PCs

GreeneGirl7
Jan 3, 2007, 04:43 PM

1. I don't quite understand... You should be able to ignore all prompts to download iTunes. Then go to My Computer and eject the drive. The iPod will continue to charge as long as you've connected to a powered USB source, not a keyboard one or something similar.

2. You can ignore all prompts to enter your Apple ID as you only need it to purchase from iTMS.

3. That's not true. An iPod formatted for Windows will work both on a PC and on a Mac. The easiest way to manage it would be to set it to manual update.