PDA

View Full Version : I just bought my first gaming console

Garand
Jan 3, 2007, 11:24 AM
Well after looking at what was available I purchased my first game console - an Xbox 360. I purchased th 20 gig version, with wireless internet, a second controller, added the cooler which runs pretty quiet, recieved a free copy of Call of Duty 2, and run games at 1080i on a 42" rear projection LCD Sony. I have to say I am impressed with how easy everything was to set up. I am still trying to figure out if I need a second account/game tag on the second controller or not for xbox live? Seems you can not use the same email account for the first gametag for the second - oh well I will figure it out.

But overall I am very impressed with the product, the game selection, the graphic and audio (running through home theatre), the controllers, and the OS.

zero2dash
Jan 3, 2007, 11:33 AM
I am still trying to figure out if I need a second account/game tag on the second controller or not for xbox live? Seems you can not use the same email account for the first gametag for the second - oh well I will figure it out.

You don't need to have multiple Live accounts on one system to play multiplayer games that require [local (not Live)] account signin (like Gears). You can make an offline/non-Live profile for your brother/sister/son/daughter/husband/wife etc whatever, give them a gamerpic, and then they can use it when they play games not only to play you local multiplayer, but also to gain achievement points and whatnot.

You CAN have multiple Live accounts on 1 360 and play online with any/all of them at one time (depending on the game itself), but Live accounts are not required for local multiplayer. (hope that didn't confuse you)

For instance - our 360 has my Live account + offline regular accounts for my wife, daughter, and brother-in-law. :)

Mac'Mo
Jan 3, 2007, 11:45 AM
my first gaming console was the SNES, it was glorious

ddrueckhammer
Jan 3, 2007, 11:47 AM
Cool. I'm glad you are enjoying it. The 360 is really shaping up to be a nice console.

My first console was the Atari 2600 BTW haha..There is a big difference between now and then let me tell you.

Mackilroy
Jan 3, 2007, 12:10 PM
Also, if you like, you can change the email address linked to your account.

BoyBach
Jan 3, 2007, 12:14 PM
Some time during the 80's Santa brought me and my brother an Atari 2600 plus Pac-Man and Space Invaders. :)

SamIchi
Jan 3, 2007, 01:04 PM
NES here, but the SNES was where gaming in my life was the high point.

rosalindavenue
Jan 3, 2007, 01:17 PM
Atari 2600-- but with a twist. In those days (1980 maybe) when you bought one from Sears you got a rebranded one called "Sears Video Arcade (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jwnyc.com/games/images/videoarcade01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jwnyc.com/games/videoarcade.html&h=369&w=550&sz=55&hl=en&start=6&tbnid=duPfFbZe9crpYM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsears%2Bvideo%2Barcade%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN)." I had the one with six switches. For all I know it may be in my parents' attic somewhere. Adventure, Missile Command, Space Invaders, Raiders of the Lost Ark (the Zelda of its day, only horrible)-- good times.

Sky Blue
Jan 3, 2007, 01:19 PM
So I'm guessing everybody thinks the thread title is "What was your first console?"...but it's "I just bought my first console".

shortyjj
Jan 3, 2007, 01:21 PM
1st console: Atari 2600, 7th birthday present, Dec 1981

Most recent: Xbox 360, 32nd birthday present, Dec 2006 ;)

gkarris
Jan 3, 2007, 03:39 PM
Atari 2600-- but with a twist. In those days (1980 maybe) when you bought one from Sears you got a rebranded one called "Sears Video Arcade (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jwnyc.com/games/images/videoarcade01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jwnyc.com/games/videoarcade.html&h=369&w=550&sz=55&hl=en&start=6&tbnid=duPfFbZe9crpYM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsears%2Bvideo%2Barcade%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN)." I had the one with six switches. For all I know it may be in my parents' attic somewhere. Adventure, Missile Command, Space Invaders, Raiders of the Lost Ark (the Zelda of its day, only horrible)-- good times.

Same here. Got one for my '79 Jr. High Graduation.

The Sears Telegames 6 switch version of the 2600 is sort of rare and is worth some money...

As far as my first "Video Game System" that would be Coleco Pong...

ictiosapiens
Jan 3, 2007, 03:52 PM
So I'm guessing everybody thinks the thread title is "What was your first console?"...but it's "I just bought my first console".

Very friendly...

Anyways, moving on...

My first was an Atari with Chopper Commander(really fun) and my latest a Wii!!! with Zelda(just awesome)

gkarris
Jan 3, 2007, 03:55 PM

Bought?

Oh, years later after my Atari 2600, I bought an NEC TurboGrafx-16 after college...

JackAxe
Jan 3, 2007, 04:19 PM
It's 2007 and you just bought your first console. And it requires external cooling! :confused:

And the following ramble is for Sky Blue: :p
My dad wouldn't buy us a 2600, so bought us a TI 99 instead. I've played that console to death of course, but the first console that I owned was a Sega Master System.

Here's me complete list;
Consoles --->
SMS
Genisis
SNES
Playstation
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii. You mean gaming is actually fun again. :)

Portables --->
GB
Lynx (Both models)
GameGear
Sega Nomad
GBA
DS You mean gaming is actually fun again. :)

<]=)

Film Divine
Jan 3, 2007, 04:41 PM
Some time during the 80's Santa brought me and my brother an Atari 2600 plus Pac-Man and Space Invaders. :)

That was my first console as well.:)

MacRumorUser
Jan 3, 2007, 04:51 PM
My home computer / console ownership to date

not in date...

zx81
vic20
spectrum 48k
commodore 64
bbc micro
atari 2600
intellivision
Nintendo Entertainment System
ZX Spectrum +1
SuperNintendo
Sega Megadrive
Philips CDi
Commodore Amiga 512k
3DO
Jaguar
TurboGFX 16
Gameboy
Gameboy Color
Gameboy SP
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS Lite
CD32
Playstation
Nintendo 64
Saturn
Sega Dreamcast
Playstation 2
Xbox
Sony PSP
Gamecube
Panasonic Q
Xbox 360
Nintendo Wii

will I get a PS3 ? looking at my history chances are high ;) :D

JackAxe
Jan 3, 2007, 04:57 PM
You listed your other comptuers, no fair. :p

And why would you even buy a Panasonic Q, let alone a Philips CDi. :D *runs and hides*

<]=)

kjr39
Jan 3, 2007, 04:59 PM

I just brought my Sears Video Arcade back with me from my parent's house along with my NES. Ahh, the memories of my youth.

MacRumorUser
Jan 3, 2007, 05:03 PM
You listed your other comptuers, no fair. :p

And why would you even buy a Panasonic Q, let alone a Philips CDi. :D *runs and hides*

<]=)

Well home-computers as they were for gaming back in the day. I didnt put my first mac down or first pc :)

A Panasonic Q is a great machine, dvd playing gamecube. But CDi - was a xmas/birthday present when I was young and it really sucked ass. :o best game was Zelda and that sucked...

JackAxe
Jan 3, 2007, 05:14 PM
My parents were cheap. :o

If I can count my brother's toys, I had access to a C64, the C64 with a 5" color screen, a Sinclair 1000, and 2068. Needless to say, I drooled over my friend's Amiga when he first got it. That would've been a great comp to own.

Did you have the Philip's Zelda vomit, I mean game? :)

I gamed mostly on my PCs when it comes down to it. It's why I bought PCs for the longest time.

<]=)

MacRumorUser
Jan 3, 2007, 05:16 PM
Did you have the Philip's Zelda vomit, I mean game? :)
<]=)

I did yeah, both of them :o

actually i thought they were ok when i was a kid, but i didnt know any better. Sense wasn't beaten into me until much later :D

Dagless
Jan 3, 2007, 05:30 PM
First console? The first one I played was my dads ZX Spectrum 81 (at least thats what I used to call it, ZX81 I think the real name is). It absolutely catapulted me into a world of coding that helps even today. I took to DOS so brilliantly.

First console that was mine? The NES.
then the Amiga. (holy grail of gaming IMO)
Gameboy.
Nintendo 64.
Gameboy Advance.
Gamecube.
GBA SP.
Xbox.
DS.
DS Lite.

The only ever consoles I've paid my own money for was my DS and DS Lite too :D

aspro
Jan 3, 2007, 05:40 PM
My first console was a Nintendo64 followed by a PS2 and now a Xbox 360. I have loved every one of them! :)

ghall
Jan 3, 2007, 07:01 PM
My first was the Super Nintendo, but I think I was too young to appreciate it's coolness. Fortunatly, I still have it, and I like to play it every once in a while. If it ever breaks, I will kill myself.:D

Nermal
Jan 3, 2007, 07:05 PM
My first console is a PS2, which I bought last week for Final Fantasy XII :D

stagecustom
Jan 3, 2007, 07:29 PM
mine, in order, PAID For all by me, maybe my parents bought be 6 games in total since i had the gameboy.

gameboy COLOR - clear see through white. i loved it
Nintendo 64 - bought it used with goldeneye and some others
gamecube - smash bros melee and mario kart and RES evil 4 - best games
XBOX 360 - bought core, now have hard drive and 2 wireless controllers and when i got my first one replaced they sent a chrome premium drive'd one. so i now have a premium.

oh and also kinda a gaming system or used to be: i have had 5 macs since i started using them exclusively plus 5 ipods:

powermac G3 --->G4 blue and white (upgraded)
ibook 1.2 G4
Mac mini 1.25
mac mini 1.42
mac mini core solo

ipod 5GB 1G
ipod 3G 10gb
ipod shuffle 1gb
ipod 20gb 4G
ipod 30GB video black.

ALL of these things have been used to play a game at some point, all were purchased by me, most sold to put money for the next. Feel very happy that i put my money towards this stuff, makes you enjoy it much more.

:)

steelfist
Jan 4, 2007, 11:05 PM
the xbox 360 for me. we had a playstation 1 but it broke down in a couple of months 6 years of no gaming...it was painfull. :(

pcypert
Jan 5, 2007, 01:06 AM
Intellivision for me...got it and a box of games for Xmas in 84 or so

Then NES (did chores for so dang long for that one)
Gameboy
Sega Genesis
Super NES
Virtual Boy
Playstation
N64
Dreamcast
Atari (bought at a flea market)
Game Gear (also)
XBox

lurcher
Jan 5, 2007, 03:57 AM
I'm currently on the original xbox but my first computer was a BBC model B. I had a footy game called Match Day which ran soooo slow that it took around 20 seconds to charge down the full length of the pitch :eek:

MacRumorUser
Jan 5, 2007, 04:04 AM
I'm currently on the original xbox but my first computer was a BBC model B. I had a footy game called Match Day which ran soooo slow that it took around 20 seconds to charge down the full length of the pitch :eek:

I loved my BBC model B. My parents got me it for school work though, but I remeber some great edu games like Pirates & Granny's Garden. :)

mikeyPotg
Jan 5, 2007, 04:46 AM
NES here, but the SNES was where gaming in my life was the high point.

My sentiments, exactly. The NES was amazing and had some really great times, but the SNES blew me away.

gadgetgirl85
Jan 5, 2007, 02:21 PM
My first gaming console was a SNES which I got when I was about 9-10 :D Mum always used to hire out a Nintendo from the video library though but we never actually bought one :D Oh the days of Barbie on Nintendo :D

barr08
Jan 5, 2007, 02:26 PM
NES
Original Gameboy
Extreme Green Gameboy
SNES
Sega Genesis
Gamegear
N64
~~Mac Gaming for a long time, then~~
GBA
Gamecube
PS2
New iMac used for heavy PC gaming in Bootcamp, so I'll count it
DS Lite
Xbox 360

risc
Jan 5, 2007, 02:27 PM
First console: Nintendo NES
First computer: Sinclair ZX81

* FIRST as in they were mine not the families.

The first family computer was some home made CP/M system my dad built from scratch.

Current console(s): Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS Lite
Current computer: Apple iMac Core 2 Duo 20"

Ah technology gotta love it!

Coded-Dude
Jan 5, 2007, 03:15 PM
First one I owned was a NES(the Gyrobot bundle), but it was not the first one I ever played.
That statistic goes to Atari....:cool:

Reaver
Jan 5, 2007, 03:21 PM
I remember my first the good old NES I remeber getting it for my birthday and I also remember my mother and stepdad taking all the gaming to themselves after they discovered Super Mario Brothers it was hilarious watching them play that thing.

I had a friend with a NeoGeo gaming system from Japan he had a golf game and a racing game for it and it was cool and fun to play to bad that didnt last long.

Mackilroy
Jan 5, 2007, 03:24 PM
First gaming console I ever paid for personally was an Xbox. Then I got an Xbox 360, and now I've bought a PS3. The first game console I ever played, though, was an NES.

ChrisK018
Jan 5, 2007, 03:26 PM
First one I bought myself was PS1 (for FFVII).

Had been jealous of luckier and/or more spoiled friends since Atari 2600, Colecovision, Intellivision, NES, Sega Genisis.