PDA

View Full Version : More Apple Phone Rumors and Speculation

MacRumors
Jan 3, 2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A few interesting Apple Phone related rumors have emerged over the past few days.

• Charles Wolf expects (http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2007/01/03/apple-merrill-boosts-price-target-estimates-on-strong-ipod-sales-amtech-needham-also-bullish/) Apple will sell the iPhone as an unlocked device through Apple stores.
• Gizmodo (spanish) (http://es.gizmodo.com/2007/01/03/cesar_alierta_se_reunira_con_s.html) claims that Steve Jobs and the Telefonica president will meet soon to discuss media distribution and the Apple iPhone
• Skyworks is expected (http://www.boston.com/business/personaltech/articles/2007/01/03/core_of_apples_new_iphone/) to provide "front-end modules" for the iPhone. The front end module amplifies and filters voice and data signals for mobile phones.
• One study (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/1/3/6457) claims that 16 percent of Americans (about 40 million) say that the iPhone is a "great idea" for them personally.

Less than a week to go before Macworld San Francisco. Here is a summary of iPhone rumors (http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_%28Rumored%29) to date.

moesker007
Jan 3, 2007, 04:47 PM
Please Come Out At Macworld :d

MattyMac
Jan 3, 2007, 04:53 PM

Seriously this would be great.

shelterpaw
Jan 3, 2007, 04:57 PM
I couldn't find what phone features the study implies. The PDF doesn't mention the features. Seems like an awfully high number for something no one has seen, well no one outside of Apple.

brendanryder
Jan 3, 2007, 04:58 PM

that would make my life!!!!

coumerelli
Jan 3, 2007, 04:59 PM
yum. and make it work with iTV -- somehow.

SFNE Freak
Jan 3, 2007, 05:00 PM
• One study (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/1/3/6457) claims that 16 percent of Americans (about 40 million) say that the iPhone is a "great idea" for them personally.

Do 16% of Americans know that it would probably be impossible to price it at less than $600 unlocked?

Schnebar
Jan 3, 2007, 05:01 PM
And I was almost ready to calm down and pretend it wont come out so if it did I would be extreamly happy...

But the rumors keep comming in to get my hopes up..

mdntcallr
Jan 3, 2007, 05:07 PM
hey i just hope they are a Treo/blackberry killer.

I need keyboard/pda functionality mac compatiblity

Anything extra is a big bonus.

swingerofbirch
Jan 3, 2007, 05:13 PM
It's amazing to me how "real" the apple cell phone has become--not just to enthusiasts like us--but to the mainstream media and public at large.

It seems like the rumor of an Apple cell phone is based mainly on the feeling that it would be a natural and sensical move for Apple to make. It reminds me of the little chemistry I remember from high school: scientists (maybe Einstein?) would discover an element and from its properties be able to declare that they knew other elements existed and those elements' properties without ever having found them.

LastZion
Jan 3, 2007, 05:15 PM
I just bought a silver KRZR, but would sell it in a heartbeat. Please please please come out!

Compile 'em all
Jan 3, 2007, 05:16 PM
I am 101% sure an iPod Phone will come out. Mark my words my fellow Macrumors :cool: :D

Nar1117
Jan 3, 2007, 05:26 PM
Correction: 16% of Americans polled say that the iPhone is a "great idea" for them personally.

No polling agency can talk to all 300 million americans.

adamcz
Jan 3, 2007, 05:34 PM
I'm willing to bet all my money that 16% of Americans will not buy this thing.

Warbrain
Jan 3, 2007, 05:37 PM
I could see Apple seriously selling this phone unlocked while keeping the price down a bit. Apple would kick-start that market of unlocked phones that has so far been dormant in the United States.

EagerDragon
Jan 3, 2007, 05:40 PM
Do 16% of Americans know that it would probably be impossible to price it at less than $600 unlocked?

Its a piece of electronic, it does not have to be that high. I think you are used to te overpricing that is going on.

How much are the radio component in quatities of 12 million units?

Lynxpoint
Jan 3, 2007, 05:46 PM
The other day the evening news had a story about the rumor mills craze over the iphone.

I can not recall ever seeing talk of a rumored product making the news before.

Amazing how much life the "iphone" has.

geerlingguy
Jan 3, 2007, 05:50 PM
It seems the 'iPhone' / 'iPod Phone' device is being hailed and praised as the 'next big thing' from Apple that will 'revolutionize the market' for cell phones.

In my opinion, the only contribution Apple could reasonably make is to take their already successful (and *simple*) iPod, and add a *simple* way to make a phone call on it... and *maybe* send a text message/email. I don't think it will have 'smart phone capabilities' (besides iPod funcationality).

IF (yes IF, not when...) Apple releases some sort of phone, it will be an iPod with the ability to place a call. Not some sort of PDA or web-browsing jack-of-all trades. I think someone mentioned this in another thread earlier, but I just wanted to restate it, as I don't think that Apple would do well to make some sort of ridiculously complex smart phone. I would estimate the price to be around $299-399, with 4/8GB flash or something like that.

The only way I would buy one is if it gave me the ability to easily place a phone call (perhaps by selecting a contact in my Address Book), receive a phone call, and play music. Video isn't really that important to me on a device as small as a phone / iPod - and I don't think video chat would be extremely important, either. All that would do is jack up the price a couple hundred more.

Georgie
Jan 3, 2007, 06:06 PM

Duh, that's an obvious sure bet. The question is, what will the other 84% of Americans do. Will they buy an Apple iPhone?

CEAbiscuit
Jan 3, 2007, 06:07 PM
Actually I think video chat would set the iPhone apart and make it a "hot"... however, I can't say I see it happening in the short term. Hope I'm wrong.

Georgie
Jan 3, 2007, 06:18 PM
This is just wishful thinking, but I certainly do hope the iPhone has PDA-like functionality. Actually it'd be great if it were much like the Nokia N73, but Apple-ified.

Tight synchronization with iLife apps is an obvious must (I'd love to sync my phone and have my recently-snapped photos be automatically imported into iPhoto). And the iPod-simply music playing experience is also obvious. I'd like to do all synchronization via bluetooth, though transfering songs may understandably require a cable connection. I also need a phone I can connect my MBP to use as a modem when I can't find a hotspot. And lastly, to accompany a good push-email IMAP app (or at least gmail), a qwerty keyboard would be great. The keyboard isn't make-or-break for me, but I'd really like one.

Tight sync
Decent camera (>= 2MP please)
Solid bluetooth connectivity
Email functions

That's what I hope. But that's all, I just hope. I'm really looking forward to the Keynote.

ppnkg
Jan 3, 2007, 06:28 PM
I really don't understand why an ipod+phone should cost $600+. What's so complicated about adding a phone function on the ipod? What I have at the moment is a benq-siemens s68, a very simple elegant candy bar phone with bluetooth and lots of other stuff but without a camera (which is not really necessary - I had a camera phone before and I rarely used the camera). You can buy in the uk for £99 (that's about $190) + 2gb ipod nano at $149, that's $339. (2gb: why would you ever need to have more than 2gb of music on your phone? Do you ever really listen to all those songs?). That's not bad at all, it could be even cheaper, and so you'll have apple in the cell phone market with a phone that can appeal to almost everybody.

What a simple ipod phone from apple must have? well apart from looks (which is reasonable to expect from apple) and reliability, something like addressbook and ical + the essential gadgets+ you get an ipod with it. And It shouldn't be difficult for apple to pack all that in an easy to use interface.

At least that's what I think.

ppnkg
Jan 3, 2007, 06:37 PM
sorry I sent the same message twice

Counterfit
Jan 3, 2007, 06:42 PM
I'm still not sold on it even existing.

And I doubt 16% of America even knows about the possibility of there being an Apple phone.

Arcus
Jan 3, 2007, 06:43 PM
As soon as they are available , I will be buying two. No doubt. No hesitation. Don't care about the price.

J Radical
Jan 3, 2007, 06:44 PM
It seems the 'iPhone' / 'iPod Phone' device is being hailed and praised as the 'next big thing' from Apple that will 'revolutionize the market' for cell phones.

In my opinion, the only contribution Apple could reasonably make is to take their already successful (and *simple*) iPod, and add a *simple* way to make a phone call on it... and *maybe* send a text message/email. I don't think it will have 'smart phone capabilities' (besides iPod funcationality).

I see what you're getting at, the core reason why the Apple Phone is a good idea is that it eliminates the need to have two devices. The Apple Phone doesn't need to be anything other than a basic phone and ipod in the same case to be a good idea. However to be a success it needs to lure as many people as possible away from buying the devices separately.

As a consequence you can bet that the phone is going to have a at least a 2.0 megapixel camera, internet (for iTunes), bluetooth and a feature rich (for a phone) OS.

PDA/OS X lite? V. Unlikely (unless there will be 2 iPhone ranges).
Basic syncing with Address Book, iCal and .mac mail? Almost a certainty.

IF (yes IF, not when...) Apple releases some sort of phone, it will be an iPod with the ability to place a call. Not some sort of PDA or web-browsing jack-of-all trades. I think someone mentioned this in another thread earlier, but I just wanted to restate it, as I don't think that Apple would do well to make some sort of ridiculously complex smart phone. I would estimate the price to be around $299-399, with 4/8GB flash or something like that.

The Apple Phone IS going to happen- analysts agree that mobile phones are a threat to the ipod, Apple hasn't stayed top by standing still.

I have a Samsung D600, which is a nice phone thats not too expensive. I'm sure its got the processing power to sync with my computer if only someone made the software- this is where apple come in.

The cost of manufacture isn't that of an ipod nano PLUS a phone, they'll share the same screen and case, and interface etc. So the cost is really that of a phone + Flash Memory + 2nd ipod Battery. £180 ish ($350, i love dashboard...) would be my guess, but the US price would probably be lower since the UK is the land of the rip off.

j_maddison
Jan 3, 2007, 06:47 PM
I really don't understand why an ipod+phone should cost $600+. What's so complicated about adding a phone function on the ipod? What I have at the moment is a benq-siemens s68, a very simple elegant candy bar phone with bluetooth and lots of other stuff but without a camera (which is not really necessary - I had a camera phone before and I rarely used the camera). You can buy in the uk for £99 (that's about $190) + 2gb ipod nano at $149, that's $339. (2gb: why would you ever need to have more than 2gb of music on your phone? Do you ever really listen to all those songs?). That's not bad at all, it could be even cheaper, and so you'll have apple in the cell phone market with a phone that can appeal to almost everybody.

What a simple ipod phone from apple must have? well apart from looks (which is reasonable to expect from apple) and reliability, something like addressbook and ical + the essential gadgets+ you get an ipod with it. And It shouldn't be difficult for apple to pack all that in an easy to use interface.

At least that's what I think.

The benq-siemens s68 i a budget phone, its also ugly as sin. benq-siemens also sell a more expensive EF81, which retails for £249 ($484). Add on the price of a nano; you do the math.

Apple generally doesn't sell budget products, so I wouldn't expect a budget phone offering from them.

Its also important to remember that the US market is very very different ot the UK mobile (cell) phone market. We have a history of the networks subsidising the cost of handsets.

I think the good news for European consumers is the rumour that Apple might be in discussions with Telefonica.

Jay

ppnkg
Jan 3, 2007, 06:56 PM
The benq-siemens s68 i a budget phone, its also ugly as sin.

De gustibus non est disputandum. But why is the s68 a budget phone exactly?

Aniej
Jan 3, 2007, 07:00 PM
wow wow wow. you mean to tell me apple is thinking about coming out with a phone? the next thing you will be telling me is Saddam is dead and that the democrats took back Congress.... puhhleassee none of those things could ever happen.

know-it-all5
Jan 3, 2007, 07:02 PM
STEVE JOBS IS NOT AN IDIOT. The cell phone market is a crazy complicated one. If apple continues to innovate the ipod, cell phones with their non-comparable capabilities to the ipod will have no competitive chance.

D34thPwny
Jan 3, 2007, 07:18 PM
I'm not necessarily sure I want one, but for the love of god can it be released so I can decide?!? Torture!!!

amoda
Jan 3, 2007, 07:21 PM
I think that Apple has to release a phone now and not just any phone but a i-never-would-have-thought-of-that type of phone. I say has to because there is soo much pent up energy for this that if they don't release one soon they would really hurt their image. In the past it was usually only Apple enthusiasts who would be wondering what the company is doing in their labs but now even the general public is trying to peer in.

bowzer
Jan 3, 2007, 07:26 PM
Let's hope the iPhone (or whatever), doesn't become the next G5 Powerbook... over rumored and big let down when it doesnt arrive.

flyakite
Jan 3, 2007, 07:32 PM
I seriously, seriously hope, no... I pray there is no iPhone (or whatever it may be called), and all the people so obsessed with it end up committing suicide over the announcement that there never will be one.

Seriously, it's a PHONE. I already can't stand about 95% of people and their cell phones. Freakin' 11 year olds have their own phones now. People who are cell phone crazy are generally jerks. On the phone non-stop. On the phone at restaurants. In public places. In the car which causes them to drive like morons.

It seems like every week there's a front page news item about the iPhone. Get over it.

Nimiety
Jan 3, 2007, 07:33 PM
My dream phone?

I'd like to place calls via bluetooth, sync with the mac (for phone lists), play a few basic games (card games or tetris - fairly generic and standard), and I'd love to be able to check email. A 2 mp camera is fine (don't need more than 3 on a phone), and I wouldn't really need more than a gig storage, so really, it's a phone that's a useful time-waster when I'm on trips and don't feel like pulling the laptop out.

Whether those criteria make it for the 1st gen basic phone/ipod or the likely 2nd gen smarter phone, I don't know. Hell, there may be just one model coming out, rather than the two being speculated...

My old seimens s58 is old and I have "permission" (for those of you who aren't married, you wouldn't understand) to get one when it comes out.

6 more sleeps...

tehdee
Jan 3, 2007, 07:35 PM
what could make or break this phone, as a blackberry/treo killer, is wi-fi or no wi-fi... they're obviously going to be pushing the 'download' thru iTunes Music Store angle.

Carriers in North America have traditionally requested to manufacturers when ordering handsets, crippled models-- preventing wi-fi access. This allows them to make ALOT of money in data charges. If Apple is going to sell these things unlocked, thru Apple Stores, they have no obligation towards carriers, and moreover, could even use this to their advantage in marketing the handset.

So...here's my wish list: wi-fi, bluetooth, hsdpa/umts (crosses fingers), 3.2 mp camera, second video camera on the front, touch screen, 4 gb or 8 gb, bt keyboard support, tiger os...

Doctor Q
Jan 3, 2007, 07:36 PM
And I doubt 16% of America even knows about the possibility of there being an Apple phone.I think you are right, given that so many still don't know that iPod is a product, not a company, or that the company that makes iPods also makes computers. (When they sell phones too, even more people will be confused.)

However, I suspect that they mean that, based on a sample, 16% of Americans would say that they like the idea of an Apple phone, if it was explained to them.

Compile 'em all
Jan 3, 2007, 07:46 PM
STEVE JOBS IS NOT AN IDIOT. The cell phone market is a crazy complicated one. If apple continues to innovate the ipod, cell phones with their non-comparable capabilities to the ipod will have no competitive chance.

I think you got it all backwards. If Apple doesn't enter the Mobile phone market soon, no one will be buying flash-based iPods in the future. If I can buy a mobile phone that can play music as easy as an iPod, I see no reason whatsoever why I should go and buy an iPod nano for example. May be playing music on mobile phones is not that easy 'now', but that doesn't mean it won't be in the future. Just take a look at the new Sony Ericsson phones and you will see what I mean. With each gen. they get better and pack more capacity that for the average joe, buying an iPod is not necessary anymore. Once again, I am not talking about the current state of mobile phones, but in the near future. IMHO, entering the mobile phone business is absolutely necessary for the iPod in the long term.

MacRonin
Jan 3, 2007, 08:00 PM
Okay, here's what iThink…

Apple iPod Phone, with smartphone capabilities, touch-screen lcd covers entire side of iPod (Phone); fairly straightforward…

Here's where it gets funky…

iPod Phone also functions as a multi-fuction remote/input device for the forthcoming iTV product… Which in turn allows the iPod Phone to go from quad-band cellphone mode when out of the house, to a VOIP & video iChat (via .Mac accounts, duh…) mode when in the house…

Slim possibilty for a built-in docking station for the iPod Phone on the top of the iTV, but not likely…

Remember, you heard it here first…!

;^p

(send me a few free sets for calling it Steve, you cheap bastard!)

PCMacUser
Jan 3, 2007, 08:04 PM
If Apple is going to 'innovate' with an iPhone, it'll have to be bloody mindblowing to compete with what's coming out of Japan these days.

ziwi
Jan 3, 2007, 08:04 PM
I honestly do not know of any phone that would endear me enough to part with a large sum of cash...I am the typical consumer who believes that the phone should come free with the service. Maybe not typical, but what am I paying extra for? Take pictures - no thanks I have a camera, listen to music - no I have an iPod - movies - please. Any Phone can text message, I just don't know what they could offer to make people want to spend upwards of $300...call me crazy, but it is just a phone.

tehdee
Jan 3, 2007, 08:11 PM
call me crazy, but it is just a phone.

about a thousand or so members on howardforums.com would probably say a mac is just a computer... people like phones.

bmb012
Jan 3, 2007, 08:16 PM
Anyone else out there wish that Apple would make a reasonably priced phone that did nothing but make calls and send text messages? I've yet to find a phone with an interface half as good as the iPod's...

Georgie
Jan 3, 2007, 08:22 PM
I'm a little confused why people desire wifi so much on their phones. Admittedly that's in part because my phone doesn't have wifi and I've never played with a phone that does have it. However, for me the great promise of my cell phone, especially when using it as a modem for my MPB, is to get away from wifi.

Wifi sucks power, that's one downside, but not a big one. No, the big downside if finding a hotspot. That's a pain. Starbucks are ubiquitous, but there you have to pay an egregious hourly rate, plus somehow negotiate service on the device. Or what, you're at a friend's house, struggling to peck in the WPA password, 100 hex decimals long. That's such a hassle.

And what is the benefit to having wifi access? Speed of transmission is one benefit I guess. It's faster than cell service. However cell service is bearable, and 3G/EVDO/latest-greatest promises significant enhancements on this front.

The only real promise to wifi is the ability to skype when connected, usually home. That's a big plus, I admit, assuming call quality is equally as good and the transfer process is transparent. On the other hand, my cell is my only phone (no land line), and I rarely go over my minutes. And they're only 450 per month. I talk talk more than that, but mostly at night. Perhaps I don't know what I'm missing though; perhaps I'd come to value the ability to skype cheaply. This 45 cents/minute overcharge fee is BS, quite the ripoff.

Are there any significant benefits to wifi capabilities on a phone besides the great promise of VOIP?

jonhaxor
Jan 3, 2007, 08:24 PM
Put the 802.11n and bluetooth chips in the iPod and make a long range wireless VoIP device.

iFan
Jan 3, 2007, 08:25 PM
Long time reader, first time comment! I can't believe all of these comments about $500-600 for a phone being too expensive. In the phone industry, just like the computer industry (although Apple doesn't follow these rules), early-adopters pay high prices for phones when they first come out.

For instance, when Motorola's RZR phone first came out, it cost over $500 for a few months. Then, every few months, the phone would receive a huge price cut. Now, even without buying a 1-year plan, you can find RZR phones for cheap.

Now I have no way of knowing if Apple will do exactly what the other phone companies do, but you can bet that before a phone has reached mass-production, or even because of brand-new expensive components, new phones can be very expensive. Either that or every phone manufacturer worldwide has been ripping off early-adopters for a very long time. Could be a little bit of both.

Reverend Wally
Jan 3, 2007, 08:29 PM
All of you are wrong.

Apple will come out with a small iPod shaped object that will replace the human brain and will be upgradable as better chips are deployed into the market place.

Your human brain memories and thoughts will be transmitted into the device and it will be installed inside your head. Instead of driving down the road with a cell phone stuck in your ear, you will have it built into your iBrain. You will not have to talk into it, just think what you would normally say and it will transmit over the built in cellular device in your iBrain.

You will be required, though, to have the Apple logo tatooed on your forehead.

:cool:

GregA
Jan 3, 2007, 08:34 PM
Are there any significant benefits to wifi capabilities on a phone besides the great promise of VOIP?

Not really. The only advantage is cheaper phone calls.
(Oh, and while on a call, the power usage is lower, and better for your brain.)

So if you're on a cap, there's little point. Perhaps you can get a cheaper cap.

IF Apple allowed an innovative easy way of logging into other Wifi spots all over the place, that could also be interesting. Eg: use your .Mac account to access some public wifi spots without any effort. OR you allow Apple to give away net access through your new Airport base station (or your iMac's onboard wifi card) - in exchange, you get to use another Apple-user's Wifi down the street.

failsafe1
Jan 3, 2007, 08:35 PM
I am in the market for a phone and iPod. I need one and want the other. I probably just want both. Does anyone really need a cell phone? I don't see spending much on either. A refurbed video pod is $179 and a new phone off eBay is as cheap as I can find <$100. I use a GSM phone so just switch sim. So I could not see paying more than $290 for a combo unit that the new vaporware phone hints at being. We'll see if I have will power come monday.:D

geerlingguy
Jan 3, 2007, 08:35 PM
Apple will come out with a small iPod shaped object that will replace the human brain and will be upgradable as better chips are deployed into the market place.

That already happened, though. I have my iBook and my Palm Tungsten E. I'll be upgrading so I can have more memory and better imagination sometime next year, when I get the money.

:D

Georgie
Jan 3, 2007, 08:36 PM
Anyone else out there wish that Apple would make a reasonably priced phone that did nothing but make calls and send text messages? I've yet to find a phone with an interface half as good as the iPod's...

No.

Go buy a firefly. Or a Jitterbug if you need to text.

Mac'Mo
Jan 3, 2007, 08:46 PM
im part of that 16 percent! right here baby!

jimthorn
Jan 3, 2007, 08:52 PM
I would be happy if it's just acknowledged in the Stevenote. Because all we've heard up till now is speculation and rumors from everywhere except Apple. Not one confirmation of anything. Technically, this may be a case of rumors feeding rumors until they seem to become fact. Remember, everyone: An Apple Phone may not exist, now or ever.

That said, I really really want one. ;)

freeny
Jan 3, 2007, 09:05 PM

I second that.

Duh, that's an obvious sure bet. The question is, what will the other 84% of Americans do. Will they buy an Apple iPhone?
You had to go and say it...:rolleyes:

Abstract
Jan 3, 2007, 09:08 PM
I think this iPhone is going to be a massive disappointment when people realize that all this phone does is allow you to make calls, text, use it as a 2 GB iPod Nano, and allow for video chat. That's actually all I want, but people looking for a keyboard or smartphone functionality like a BlackBerry/Treo are asking for too much. Does that even sound Apple-like? Apple tends to avoid making things more complex. One device does only a handful of things. They have a main purpose, and then a few things it CAN do. Look at the iPod. They haven't even added AM/FM radio to it yet, and how long have people requested that?

And even with basic styling, this iPhone will cost $500 USD, minimum.

It's amazing to me how "real" the apple cell phone has become--not just to enthusiasts like us--but to the mainstream media and public at large.

That's what you think.

Danksi
Jan 3, 2007, 09:16 PM
Charles Wolf expects[/url] Apple will sell the iPhone as an unlocked device through Apple stores.

The mobile/cell companies will love Apple for this... particularly as they'll get most of the support calls:-

Customer - "Hi - I've a new Apple iPhone - can you tell me how to set it up on your network?"

Cell Company - "Nope".

uNext
Jan 3, 2007, 09:21 PM
What can apple really offer in the pda market that phones like the treos, htc's nokias & blackberrys dont already offer?

I mean come on one thing is to adore a company, buts its another when people just want a cool factor phone with ipod capabilities?

I really dont see any type of break thourgh functionality beiong deployed by apple.

Plus stop calling it iPhone please.

I remember in an interview where the owner of this site and another mac related website where asked
about why they think an apple phone would be so much better then veteran companies that push design and functionality already in the
cell phone market. Their whole answer was based around iPod, they did not answer the question properly. All they kept saying is ipod functionality and ease of use. Seriously motorola appeals to the young and hip (razr) nokia pushes technology and sleek designs into its phones. Treo and blackberrys appeal to business and end users both in functionality and looks. You have Htc's etc.

Last i checked the iPod was a music player far from a phone-Also last i checked apple had 0 experience in the cell phone market.
Apple is very predictable just look at their history they re-writte their own products and evolutionize it-and pass it as INNOVATIVE
an apple cell phone is most likely in the works i mean they had the newton before (flopped) they had the apple tv and the experimental set top box (both flopped) and now their bringing back those same ideas in hopes they nail it the second time around.

But in all honesty aopple should just stick to making computers thats what we know them by. They have failed horribly on other bussiness ventures and i think they will not succeed in the phone market. Too many well established cell phone makers out there that have an extreme amount of epxrience in this market. Their phones have been recreated after years and years to pefection to appeal.

A cell phone with ipod capabilites and nothing else? I have a slvr that do just that. So basically people are willing to spend up to 600 dollars for a apple branded slvr? WOW are you the same ones complaining about gas prices when they go up?

I will pass get on with the computers apple

GregA
Jan 3, 2007, 09:29 PM
What can apple really offer in the pda market that phones like the treos, htc's nokias & blackberrys dont already offer?
A built in iPod?

Seriously... Apple has the iPod. Nokia has some great phones - they play music but I much prefer my iPod. But if I have my Nokia... it might sidetrack me from buying a future iPod. It certainly will start to encroach on iPod marketshare.

While Apple may make a better PDA than the existing competition (they certainly have a history of thinking differently)... I just want an average phone/pda, and a great iPod :) in one device. I do think that's easily doable for Apple.

freeny
Jan 3, 2007, 09:32 PM
Long time reader, first time comment! I can't believe all of these comments about $500-600 for a phone being too expensive. In the phone industry, just like the computer industry (although Apple doesn't follow these rules), early-adopters pay high prices for phones when they first come out......

......Either that or every phone manufacturer worldwide has been ripping off early-adopters for a very long time. Could be a little bit of both.

Im in the phone industry and yes, phone manufacturers have been ripping off early-adopters for a very long time, in a way... Phone manufacturers dont have to charge a high price for the phone. But they do if the phone, like the early RAZR, is impressive enough to bring in that cash. Its the manufacturers call on weather they do or dont. Phone companies know that the real cash is in the service contracts. They could charge $75 for a new phone and still know they could make up the loss and more over time. It just takes longer.

This does backfire though. Just look at the Mobile ESPN phone that was killed a few months back. They charged $500 for the phone in the beginning thinking this would be a hugely sought after product for sports fans. It scared allot of people away. By the time they figured this out less then a half year later they were giving the phone away for free with the service plan. But it was too late...

uNext
Jan 3, 2007, 09:47 PM
A built in iPod?

Seriously... Apple has the iPod. Nokia has some great phones - they play music but I much prefer my iPod. But if I have my Nokia... it might sidetrack me from buying a future iPod. It certainly will start to encroach on iPod marketshare.

While Apple may make a better PDA than the existing competition (they certainly have a history of thinking differently)... I just want an average phone/pda, and a great iPod :) in one device. I do think that's easily doable for Apple.

But thats my whole point, do you really need to carry around all your 60gbs of music in a cell phone? -software wise i bet money they will be some kind of issues between the phone and the mp3 player handling such excessive amount of files.

Besides the whole iPod thing what can apple revolutionize? email? video chat? text? wifi? all this have been provided for like 3-4 years already on many phones.

Besides the apple logo and most likely the white and gray colors-i see this apple phone being the first mistake of apples after 30 years. (I MEAN IF DURING THE FIRST 30 YEARS THEY HAD SO MANY FLOPS-HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF)

doo-hik-ee
Jan 3, 2007, 09:52 PM
I just watched the Special Event when Apple introduced the iPod Nano. Thinking about what they did with transitioning the iPod Mini to that product, it is really amazing. It was what? 68% smaller than the iPod Mini, they obviously built it from the ground up, it was ground breaking and beautiful.
If they can do the same thing that they did with the Nano, only with the ApplePhone, they obviously could have something incredible.
Just think of all the other phones on the market as the iPod Mini.
I don't know... just thinking...

dscottbuch
Jan 3, 2007, 10:17 PM
Besides the whole iPod thing what can apple revolutionize? email? video chat? text? wifi? all this have been provided for like 3-4 years already on many phones.

This is once again missing the point. Its NOT the features its the function. I have listened to all the gripping on these forums about how if Apple ONLY included an FM radio on the iPod it would do so much better :) Its true that all of these functions have been available on phone for some time but its also true that the great majority of users can't actually use them (the features). What Apple has been able to do, of recent, is to bring discipline to the design and product definition process to hit sweet spots. I don't think many sweet spots have been hit in the phone market - the right combination of features and functionality and ease of use. I sure haven't seen it.

iMeowbot
Jan 3, 2007, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't put too much faith in the unlocked speculation, that analyst has a shaky record (http://guides.macrumors.com/Charles_Wolf_%28Analyst%29) for Apple predictions.

puuukeey
Jan 3, 2007, 10:30 PM
I have 100% accurate information from a reliable source (of food) that the iphone will have the following features

• the next roomba will include a dock for it
• replaces EZ-Pass and Sleazy-Ass
• docks in the crayon sharpener in crayola boxes, syncs color names
•*you contact information will be scanned for viruses and copied onto a special KGB computer
• iTV replaces all commercials with iPhone ads
• includes a DPTFOoEArY (Dont Piss The ***** Out of Everyone Around You" feature
• the vatican strongly denies its existence.
• comes in the following "flavors": tar(black), painted tar (white)
• games include Manhole and Peter Gabriels Secret World
• is the ipod killer
• polyphonic, multitimbral 7.1 ringtones
• tracks your every thought so "They" can keep you safe
• Jeff Goldblum appears in "I'm an iPhone, and I'm a walky talky" tv spots.
• Orders TwoBoots pizza
• Tracks santa via NORAD
• can be consumed in place of a dietary suppliment
• will take over the world and make humans it's slave.
• accessories: cape, bandana, leg warmers, snow cone maker
•*implements new MacroTechnology
• object oriented
• hand crafted leather flash memory
• plays sadoku
• someone on youtube hooked a wiimote up to it
• hates george bush
• loves george bush
• required you to sign a DRM terms of use for which is the length of war and piece.
• proprietary apple software "squirts" water at you
• all it wants to do is zune zune zune and a boom boom. just shake your rump
• All electronics are printed on the end of a grain of rice.
• rice is hand picked from the mouths of starving children in Zimbabwe
• Job's says "Apple has a long history of dealing with Zimbabwe." Apple stock recovers
• iWasnt
• runs on farts with light bulbs
• runs on YouOS and new Secret Google OS code named Giggle
• joins of "teh social"
• amazing development tools
• has eyballs that follow your mouse around the screen
• dynamic advertizing improving your recognizablitiy
• it's a swiss army knife of computer tools
• fingerprint key fobs, magnetic strips, smart cards, physical keys
• its got a built in calendar
• known bugs include "doesn't do anything" "power cable sucks ass and costs 80 bucks"
• its your savior in a bottle with bad behavior on the throttle
• come one come all its the iphone with a GPS uplink that will have your jaw hit the floor
• It will have a trash can AND a recycling bin
• OLED LCD Plasma ambilight display
• comes in iphone, iphone XL, iphone GS and iPhone 3000
• keeps you warm on lonely nights
• multi touch single touch RF IR technology
• RFID tags to track your every movement and when you have bowel movements
• lowers prices so YOU the consumer have a higher standard of living
• small form factor
• substantial feel
• its a swan in teacup, drives camels through needles
• new noise reduction unit keeps you from hearing noise
• IONIC!
• powers via usb, car charger, wall wart 110 and 220 and A 440
• not just a phone. its a solution and a revaluation
• new 2 in one technology uses shampoo and conditioner
• ass warmers come standard with fold out display
• patented AND patent pending
• will drive stock prices through the roof
• integrates with USB poll dancer and fondu pot
• cooled by vegetable oil
• can be used as a wii controller via PS3 adapter
• perfect for dating
• built in holodeck
• open source security features
• automatically emails you fark updates
• recognizes morse code and swahili
• free harmonic fingerprint recognition mobilization engine
• lengthens your commute in seconds
• noise cancelation
• runs on love
• rechargeable indestructible exploding lithium ion photon battery
• built in SCSI zip DAT minidisc and floppy drive
• liquid cooled
• tamagotchi jenga and sodoku
• its pin compatible with amd ppc motorola and GSM phones
• stereoscopic goggles
• Java Basic C++ Logo smalltalk and TCP/IP/I really gotta pee.
• blood tests with out painful pin pricks
• support vonage and skype
• 5 blade action
• runs on pure corn (not biodiesil, just plain corn)
• recieves faxes
• more than just a name
• direct integration with iTV
• force feeds starving babies in africa metal shavings
• prevents proliferation treaties
• brews the perfect cappuccino
• multitouch 3d oled display with 40,000 songs
• hdmi port which plugs into your face!!!!!!
• fight off terr'ists.
• USB PLIAR WIRE
• fios dsl cable compatible
• more energy efficient, consumer friendly and lowers the bottom line
• built in mic pre amps
• teledildonics
• future proof
• anti life and anti choice
• so zen that it's not there
• comes in every color and a (RED) version
• causes and prevents Cancer, Parkinson's and birth defects
• ask your doctor if iPhone is right for you
• ichat av
• full of zagat resteraunt reviews
• signs checks with laser etching
• iTunes built in to the purpose built hardware
• surfs the web with firefox and QT
• reminds you to take your pills
• better syncing with ical, iLife, Ideath, and iWork, and iSocialSecurity!
• voice control, voice synthesis, brail and esperanto
• eats kitties
• automatically downloads the latest harry potter and tiny nibbles
• integrated second life.
• complete support you tube enabled footwear!!!!
• syncs your ical with the latest presidential scandals
• SDIF, WAVE,SDII,AIFF,RAW, mp1, mp2 mp3 mp4, ogg vorbis and throgs neck, 1300 kbps per second!!!!evendy levin!
• going to play nintendo DS games with the multitouch 3d display and
• compatibility with windows, 3d studio max and built in google
• come in white plastic, black and red Utube version and special all black marilyn manson version fully loaded with nietze audio books
• the second version will be in the platinum and titanium.
• does dialup
• talking moose
* its going to expand the apple brand into the toaster territory
• it will never be released in france
• HAHA NEWTONS!!!!
• eats palm treos and has little gadget sex with side kicks
• plugs straight into your new icar,VW beetle, PT cruiser, and dodge neon.... Hi.
• expandable, future proof and retractable
• the batteries have gun powder in them
• it's got a virtual jeff raskin on it.
• taser and pepper spray
• 96 kHz 24bit with thousands of colors.
• backward sideways and forward compatible
• its all offloaded on to the graphics card.
• act now and get a free pass to the front of the genius bar line
• incompatible with verizon
• blows moores law out of the water
• HD DVD BluRay CD and 8track compatible
• gets its time from an international universal atomic clock server in cupertino HQ
• mapquest on star and RSS feeds and pod/vid/textcasts
• screen saver module with flying toasters.
• exclusively on verizon network
• boss mode
• anti virus software so hackers dont steal you "home made" pornos
• the DRM code adds nin terabytes to the phone totaling 9 extra lbs
• it slices it dices and for god sake stop this fricken rumor

If you experience chest pain, crashes, nausea, fatal errors, or any other discomforts during email or sex, seek immediate medical help. The most common side effects of iPhone use are headache, facial flushing, and upset stomach, and strained eyes. Less commonly, bluish vision, blurred vision, or sensitivity to light may briefly occur. In rare instances, men using iPhone (oral erectile dysfunction medicines, including iPhone) reported a sudden decrease or loss of vision. It is not possible to determine whether these events are related directly to these medicines or to other factors. If you experience sudden decrease or loss of vision, stop using iPhone, including iPhone, and call a doctor right away.

Although erections lasting for more than 4 hours may occur rarely with all ED treatments in this drug class, to avoid long-term injuries, it is important to seek immediate medical help.

If you are older than age 65, or have serious liver or kidney problems, your doctor may start you at iPhoneShuffle. If you are taking protease inhibitors, such as for the treatment of HIV, your doctor may recommend a 25-mg dose and may limit you to a maximum single dose of 25 mg of iPhone in a 48-hour period.

SiliconAddict
Jan 3, 2007, 10:38 PM
Meh. Phone smone. Where's my 100GB Video iPod?

I have 100% accurate information from a reliable source (of food) that the iphone will have the following features

• the next roomba will include a dock for it
• replaces EZ-Pass and Sleazy-Ass
• docks in the crayon sharpener in crayola boxes, syncs color names
•*you contact information will be scanned for viruses and copied onto a special KGB computer
• iTV replaces all commercials with iPhone ads
• includes a DPTFOoEArY (Dont Piss The ***** Out of Everyone Around You" feature
• the vatican strongly denies its existence.
• comes in the following "flavors": tar(black), painted tar (white)
• games include Manhole and Peter Gabriels Secret World

yada yada yada.

Dude. You need to get a life. Really. No I'm dead serious. :p

Abstract
Jan 3, 2007, 10:39 PM
I agree.

The only thing I can think of is that along with an iPod built-in, they make video phone chat piss easy. I don't know anybody who video chat's on their mobile phone, despite the capability to do so on the phone they have. Maybe Apple has a new phone service coming out.

Oh, and WiFi, along with "Skype"-like phone calls. Hey, free phone calls to other iPhone customers as long as they're both at a location with WiFi? No sweat. Lots of homes have them anyway, and if two friends are sitting in their own homes, they can chat over the air for the cost of an internet connection each month. If the person wants to phone a regular phone line or someone who isn't near a WiFi service, then maybe Apple has a Skype-Out service coming out.

That, and iTMS access.

I really don't know. Either way, I agree with you that they're not going to revolutionize the way we write text, take photos with our phones*yawn*, or search the web on the phone. It won't be a Smartphone competitor, because I don't think they can compete. It'll be a lifestyle device for sure.

puuukeey
Jan 3, 2007, 10:44 PM
Dude. You need to get a life. Really. No I'm dead serious. :p

why do people think this is so labor intensive? all I do is add 20 absurd lines of text per iphone rumor. would this require brain power for others

Rytr23
Jan 3, 2007, 10:45 PM
The mobile/cell companies will love Apple for this... particularly as they'll get most of the support calls:-

Customer - "Hi - I've a new Apple iPhone - can you tell me how to set it up on your network?"

Cell Company - "Nope".

Considering that IF this device comes out, it will probably be GSM which is as simple as popping in the SIM card..even my mother can do that

As for the daunting text/data settings..They can come preloaded with the settings for the various US gsm carriers.. heck they could set up a website a la Nokia and you pick your carrier and it sends you all the settings.. no call to <insert cell co here>:D

Hallo
Jan 3, 2007, 10:56 PM
Is this going to be an American only device or should we here in Australia expect to see something compatible with Australian GSM?

BWhaler
Jan 3, 2007, 11:05 PM
Given that cell phones generally suck, this is one product I can't wait for Apple to do right. It doesn't have to be fancy, just great.

MWSF would be wonderful. I'll buy it at any price.

Erasmus
Jan 3, 2007, 11:07 PM
Well, here's what I want for the iPod Phone.

It's quite simple. Take the idea of the 6G "True Video" iPod with 640x480 screen, add a pull out numpad and give it the ability to make calls and send text messages. No camera. If you want a camera, spend the money and buy something decent. If you want a pda, spend the money and buy one. Of course the iPod Video will have integration with iTunes, and probably iCal too, but that's just software, and won't make the iPod super expensive.

The big thing for me is I want it to have a Hard Disk Drive. One of the new 100 GB HD's would be awesome, as I could then fill it up with movies. And of course movies would be more than just watchable on a 640x480 screen. Touch screen interface, or touch sensitive frame would be good too, and most likely neccessary for this size screen.

So...

Can make calls and text. Can play movies on big LCD, plays music for up to 24 hours. Touch sensitive frame / screen. Up to 100 GB HDD. Price < US$500?

So who wants one?

macman2790
Jan 3, 2007, 11:43 PM
why are they still calling it the iphone? The names already taken.

mattster16
Jan 3, 2007, 11:45 PM
Correction: 16% of Americans polled say that the iPhone is a "great idea" for them personally.

No polling agency can talk to all 300 million americans.

I was thinking that myself when I read it, technically it's a false claim without that word added in. :cool:

Although it's never necessary to survey an entire population for such things. Surveying 10,000 people could still be relatively just as accurate (as long as the methods used are accurate and representative of the poplation at large).

donlphi
Jan 3, 2007, 11:53 PM
This is just wishful thinking, but I certainly do hope the iPhone has PDA-like functionality. Actually it'd be great if it were much like the Nokia N73, but Apple-ified.

Tight synchronization with iLife apps is an obvious must (I'd love to sync my phone and have my recently-snapped photos be automatically imported into iPhoto). And the iPod-simply music playing experience is also obvious. I'd like to do all synchronization via bluetooth, though transfering songs may understandably require a cable connection. I also need a phone I can connect my MBP to use as a modem when I can't find a hotspot. And lastly, to accompany a good push-email IMAP app (or at least gmail), a qwerty keyboard would be great. The keyboard isn't make-or-break for me, but I'd really like one.

Tight sync
Decent camera (>= 2MP please)
Solid bluetooth connectivity
Email functions

That's what I hope. But that's all, I just hope. I'm really looking forward to the Keynote.

I think you hit the nail on the head with some of the comments you made...

I think the thing that will set it apart from the rest of the phones is it's ability to sync with iLife. It needs to be done by bluetooth or some other cordless option... EITHER WAY...

There are PDA's available, but none of them really sync with computers other than the Address Books... and that tends to never work on Apple without third party software.

But now look at all of the video and pictures you take with your phone... at least I know I do.

I hate having to send my pictures to my e-mail (two at a time on my Samsung A-900). I think the USB solution works but is not user friendly (for less computer savy people).

I know a lot of people that have amazing phones, but only make phone calls because it isn't easy to access all of the cool features.

Somebody said way back in the day when these "iPhone" rumors first started, "Apple didn't invent mp3 players, Apple just made them better."

I think the same thing will happen at MWSF. Watch as you are able to upload your photos to iPhoto, create a web page in iWeb that is solely dedicated to your phone photos and videos. Save your videos in iTunes and access them at a later date. You'll be able to actually view iCal on something other than your computer. The address book will be able to sync.

I could go on forever, but in my opinion, the apple cell phone will set itself apart from the rest of the phone developers by doing the same old things in a much more user friendly way.

I'm pretty excited to see how it all works out.

donlphi
Jan 3, 2007, 11:55 PM
CAN WE CALL IT THE EYE-PHONE?

or the AIY-PHONE?

Ha ze
Jan 3, 2007, 11:58 PM

What would you prefer? We all know about the real iPhone, but until Apple releases a phone and names it whatever they name it, it will forever be iPhone on the rumor sites

puuukeey
Jan 4, 2007, 12:03 AM
http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/cns/2002-05-08/images/shoephone.jpg

balamw
Jan 4, 2007, 12:05 AM
http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/cns/2002-05-08/images/shoephone.jpg

Nike+ShoePhone?

B

Danksi
Jan 4, 2007, 12:14 AM
Considering that IF this device comes out, it will probably be GSM which is as simple as popping in the SIM card..even my mother can do that

As for the daunting text/data settings..They can come preloaded with the settings for the various US gsm carriers.. heck they could set up a website a la Nokia and you pick your carrier and it sends you all the settings.. no call to <insert cell co here>:D

Oh I know... the whole easy peasy GSM SIM card idea works well... if you're fairly tech savvy and have the right info ... otherwise the place you call is generally the carrier, not the phone-retailer. (My own experience of forcing info out of Rogers Canada for my Nokia 6600 setup - because they only officially support (i.e. sell) the Nokia 6620 - which is essentially the same phone)

I've seen plenty of technically 'cool' phones in the past, be passed over (in the UK market at least) by 'market leading' (Nokia) phones with lesser 'technical' abilities.

We'll just have to wait n' see.

sorryiwasdreami
Jan 4, 2007, 12:21 AM

Should be called MacPhone or AppleTalk.

puuukeey
Jan 4, 2007, 12:31 AM
What can apple offer over other phones? Not participating in the blight on our culture that is the current cellphone market!:

• capable of reproducing sound better than a CB radio? this would make iPhones !!not annoying as hell!!
•vibrate mode is actually SILENT
•not producing disgustingly compressed images
•dont even give it the ability to play midi files as ringtones
•the ability to be used on a landline
•not using the annoying palm software

All of these things can be accomplished with out killing the simplicity we love from apple.

• And lastly, hiding the technology from the user. No separate apps for mms, sms, audio, email, phone calls, videochat, videos,memos, todos, ims, ichat video, ichat audio give me two apps: "iNow" and "iLater"

iNow:
user selects recipient,
user chooses text, audio or video.
phone chooses appropriate way to comunnicate

Later:
two fields: Message, recipient
user inputs text, video, and audio into message field
phone chooses appropriate technology to transmit message.

britishdad@mac.
Jan 4, 2007, 12:52 AM
I wonder how long it will be after Apple release their phone and gains a significant marketshare that we'll see the ZunePhone???:eek:

GregA
Jan 4, 2007, 12:58 AM
I wonder how long it will be after Apple release their phone and gains a significant marketshare that we'll see the ZunePhone???:eek:
I think it's quite surprising that Microsoft didn't jump straight to a mobile phone design.

Paul Turpin
Jan 4, 2007, 12:59 AM
call it the MacPhone
(you beat me to the punch sorryiwasdreami, its been bugging me all day)

Remember, its no longer an iBook, it is now a MacBook.
therefore it won't be an iPhone, it should be a MacPhone!
But of course, I want a MacPhone Pro !

ok - I'll comment on the features I want too (yes I will buy one)
these aren't what I expect - just what I WANT
I don't really know what to expect.....

- two models: MacPhone = simple, nano+phone+addressbook, small
MacPhone Pro ??= videophone, big iPod+phone+wifi+qwerty smartphone
- Wifi 802.11N
- some sort of Skype/Google tie-in
- games like on the gen5 ipod
- full video iChat
- qwerty on the bigger model
- Micro Mac OS X
- airtunes so I can play from home speakers from the phone
+
- functions as a remote control for my apple living room network??
- actually a Wii controller too ! (hahahaha just kidding)

Underlooked rumor:
I also think that Apple WILL present new monitors BUT
these will actually be also be living room style televisions with
- HDMI inputs
- 802.11 N
- iChat cameras for living room to living room iChat video
- maybe some sort of Tivo/YouTube tie-in
for full integration/compaibility with the "itV" / itunes video networking scheme but could also sit in an office hooked up to a MacPro just as well.

Paul Turpin
Jan 4, 2007, 01:02 AM
I think it's quite surprising that Microsoft didn't jump straight to a mobile phone design.

They are waiting for something from Apple to copy. :D

imacdaddy
Jan 4, 2007, 01:49 AM
Reasons for Apple to release a mobile phone.

1) Halo effect of iPods on Macs = success
2) Halo effect of Applephone on Macs = more success
3) Life cycle of typical mobile phone is about 8 months. This fits Apple’s product strategy for sustaining and increasing revenues with new products and innovations.
4) iPods are approaching end of life and will need a complete new feature set, not just a refresh on capacity and minor design changes. Example, true Video iPod or/and iPod with mobile phone function…formerly known as “iPhone”.
5) Need to further detach from domestic US market and to further expand into the “World” market. Mobile phones will do just that. This will lead to #2. Ultimately leading to greater PC and OS market share.
6) According to Gartner, Hype Cycle for Telecommunications Industry is advancing towards mobile and mobile content, communications (voice, email, text and conferencing: audio and video) and productivity. Apple’s mobile phone with a light OSX and integration with iTunes, iLife, iWork, Mail, Calendar and iChat will do just that.
7) SJ mentioned that Apple products will be everywhere and will influence you in every day life. You can take your entertainment, productivity and communications with you.
8) Foxconn Internation Holdings have already received orders from Apple to manufacture “mobile phones”.

The phone will be ubiquitous having all the connections possible (all GSM variants, 3G, wi-fi etc.) for seamless integration with mobile carriers around the World. It will be your Mac “light” in the basic form to take with you when you’re not at your Mac. It will communicate/sync with your Mac and vice versa over internet (you pay data charges to your carrier or wifi wherever available). Your Mac will essentially be able to push/sync content (from your iTunes) or mail (aka Blackberry. Remember the rumor about Apple partnering with RIM?) to the Apple mobile phone through the new Leopard OS.

Nothing I’ve said is new here folks and the Telecom industry knew about this trend for years now but unable to capitalise, or just don’t know how to "converge" the whole thing and to make it successful. Nokia, Sony Ericsson and Motorola are just phone companies trying to make “feature” rich phones with some sort of syncing via data cable to PC with the above intention in mind. Smartphones are great but not perfect. Most fail due to lack of content, compatibility issues (Phone to PC) and ease-of-use (interface) and failing to sustain customers at the next model. In general, people just buy which ever brand that looks the best. They only use about 40% of the phone’s built-in features and functions. People change phones in EMEA and APAC as frequent as changing underwear. (This relates to my 3rd comment above)

Which mobile carrier will carry this Apple phone? It doesn’t matter as it will be sold through the Apple Store and dealers to the World. Carriers will make their money on voice and data charges and will similarly lose money from free wi-fi. Will Apple care? No. Apple will make money off the phones, new Mac sales, music/video content, .Mac integration with the mobile phone (new feature).

The Apple phone will very likely be similar to other phones in the market by features. What stands them apart will be in the design, simplicity, and integration with Mac machines, apps and the OS. The innovation will be the communication between the user and the personal computer through this mobile device and the content distribution between the user’s iTunes or iTunes Store. At the moment, no mobile carriers/phone companies have successfully accomplished this.

Reason Apple will not release a mobile phone.

1) They’d be really stupid not to!And I mean REALLY stupid.

The phone is coming! :D

Machead III
Jan 4, 2007, 02:56 AM
Actually I think video chat would set the iPhone apart and make it a "hot"... however, I can't say I see it happening in the short term. Hope I'm wrong.

Here in Europea and over in East Asia, video calling on phones is old, old news. It was advertised to spark a switch to 3G, but utterly failed, because noone wants to pay €1 a second for the barely recognisable face of your friend on a 3cm screen.

Downloads and internet browsing were what everyone eventually went 3G for.

Here in Europe we buy absolutely craptons of phones, and public knowlege of their economy and technology is really quite high. If Apple were to release a non-3G phone, and then deny phone manufacturers the ability to subsidise with contracts (the only reason 60% of people go ahead and buy a phone), it doesn't matter how slick it looks, I guarentee you, if it's not under £250-€370 it will BOMB.

imacdaddy
Jan 4, 2007, 03:11 AM
[QUOTE=Machead III;3207132]Here in Europea and over in East Asia, video calling on phones is old, old news. It was advertised to spark a switch to 3G, but utterly failed, because noone wants to pay

imacdaddy
Jan 4, 2007, 03:12 AM
Here in Europea and over in East Asia, video calling on phones is old, old news. It was advertised to spark a switch to 3G, but utterly failed, because noone wants to pay €1 a second for the barely recognisable face of your friend on a 3cm screen.

Downloads and internet browsing were what everyone eventually went 3G for.

I couldn't agree with you more on this. Video calling was a flop here in Asia. The video was a size of a postage stamp and the bit rate was like 80Kbps. The phone spec on those video 3G phones are not very powerful to begin with. But with the right processing power and memory, you can get good video calling over 3G/wi-fi if done right by Apple. This is where others have failed and where Apple can shine.

:D

Machead III
Jan 4, 2007, 03:38 AM
But even if it was bloody HD, I still wouldn't use it :D I don't think many people would continually use video calling, especially as it costs significantly more than a regular call.

Apple should look at what phone users use most, and just give them that with a decent design and a decent UI, which is all they need to bring to the market.

The most advanced features they can hope consumers to use regularly would be internet browsing, a camera and perhaps basic games/software - the first of which is the only thing that requires networking, and that would rely entirely on how much it would cost to browse.

Until providers stop charging 10000% the real value of internet access via. phones, even that could fail to attract.

But all that said, the biggest thing against Apple would be to prevent phone subsidising. I mean, I have a contract, it expires in March - if I can upgrade with my provider to an iPhone, I'll get one, if I can't, I'll get something else, because there's no way I'm paying £400 for a phone when I can get one with similar features for £40. I don't care how good the UI is, and this is despite me being a big Apple fan.

imacdaddy
Jan 4, 2007, 03:48 AM
But all that said, the biggest thing against Apple would be to prevent phone subsidising. I mean, I have a contract, it expires in March - if I can upgrade with my provider to an iPhone, I'll get one, if I can't, I'll get something else, because there's no way I'm paying £400 for a phone when I can get one with similar features for £40. I don't care how good the UI is, and this is despite me being a big Apple fan.

Unless I miss something from somewhere...why would Apple prevent phone subsidising? As long as the phone carriers pay Apple for the phone, they can do whatever hell they like to attract more user subscriptions. Meaning subsidising the phone over a contract period of 12 - 18 months and maybe throw in some special rates for data access. This is all I can see happening with mobile carriers to capitalise on their sales by riding on an Apple brand product. I don't think Apple will prevent this from happening.

siurpeeman
Jan 4, 2007, 04:58 AM
i've been looking forward to the apple phone for months now. but after all this waiting, i realized it really is just a phone. so unless it has features i cannot live without, i don't think i can justify such a purchase when my slvr works just fine.

MatthewCobb
Jan 4, 2007, 05:36 AM
Reasons for Apple to release a mobile phone.

3) Life cycle of typical mobile phone is about 8 months.

I don't believe a word of that. FWIW I've had mine for six years, and wouldn't change it for an iPhone, whatever the spec. I just don't get this obsession with mobile phones. A vPod or a revived Newton, fair enough. And if they happen to have phone capacity, why not. But don't forget, Apple already released that iTunes-compatible phone and how tedious was that?!

Leemo
Jan 4, 2007, 05:40 AM
Apple already released that iTunes-compatible phone and how tedious was that?!

Well, it was Motorola that released it - I dare say how that phone turned out is no indication of how a 'proper' iPhone would be - it was a horrible Motorola phone with iTunes tacked on.

-Leemo

c-Row
Jan 4, 2007, 06:23 AM
Here's where it gets funky…

iPod Phone also functions as a multi-fuction remote/input device for the forthcoming iTV product… Which in turn allows the iPod Phone to go from quad-band cellphone mode when out of the house, to a VOIP & video iChat (via .Mac accounts, duh…) mode when in the house…

Now that would make sense, yeah.

Billy Boo Bob
Jan 4, 2007, 06:28 AM
Unless I miss something from somewhere...why would Apple prevent phone subsidising?

From what I've read (somewhere), Apple would want the look and feel of the device to be all Apple... Without Cingular or Sprint or whoever plastered all over it... Cell companies will put their own desktop branding and look to the screen as well as lock out features. I've read discussions where cell companies have taken really nice phones and locked out the best features of them (for some crazy reason).

Apple will want it to look like an Apple device, and nothing but an Apple device. Which, I like the idea of, but being able to get one for bunches cheaper when renewing a plan that I'm already paying for has it's attractions, too.

palhen
Jan 4, 2007, 06:39 AM
The iPod Phone
As everybody is making things up I'd like to add my ideas as well...

First; It will be named the iPod Phone. In one or two years, there will be no iPod without a phone (except the Shuffle...), and the added name will be dropped, like the iPod Video/Photo before.

Second; It's very unlikely that they would try this without including the PC-platform. All functions will be the same on both the Mac and the PC. The iPod market is so much more than the Mac.

Third; The phone will, like today's iPods, connect to a computer through iTunes. Why iTunes? Because it's the only Apple-software on the PC-platform (I know QT, but get real!). Therefore all syncing will be made through iTunes, if they would not chose to convert iSync for the PC. Which is not very likely.

Forth; Apple and the iPod is about engineering, UI and design, not high tech. The first generation of iPod Phones will probably just be an iPod with a built in phone-function. Well built? Yes. Attractive? Yes. Good for music and phone calls? Yes! Wifi, Blue-tooth or PDA functions? Definitely not. This is a product for anybody, not tech geeks.

And fifth; The gamble, it will not include a camera. Cameras in phones are ****. Apple would not like to be connected to such things. This is not a multi-every-thing. It is an iPod with a built in phone.

The iPod Phone will be great, sexy and expensive. And I'll buy one.

Added today

As we are making up some retail prices as well, I agree with some of the previous posters, take the price of an iPod, add 50 to 100 USD and you are there. Apple are not going to price themself into the market, people who buy iPods are not looking for budget-deals. Look at other MP3player-Phones and add 50 USD. That's what you have to pay going the Apple-way.

Henrik

Machead III
Jan 4, 2007, 07:25 AM
I don't think it should even be an iPod with built in phone. It should just be a phone.

Much Ado
Jan 4, 2007, 08:36 AM
The iPod Phone

Second; It's very unlikely that they would try this without including the PC-platform. All functions will be the same on both the Mac and the PC. The iPod market is so much more than the Mac.

Sure, it should work on PCs like the iPods do, but can you honestly see Steve and co. resisting the temptation to offer incentives for Mac users (iLife integration, .Mac syncing, iCal syncing...)?

If it is a multi-platform phone, i'd bet that Mac users get the best end of the deal, as part of the "Go on, get a Mac" campaign started by the iPod.

(A nice big 'Export to iPhone' button in iMovie, for a start... and so on)

MA.

Warbrain
Jan 4, 2007, 08:39 AM
Sure, it should work on PCs like the iPods do, but can you honestly see Steve and co. resisting the temptation to offer incentives for Mac users (iLife integration, .Mac syncing, iCal syncing...)?

If it is a multi-platform phone, i'd bet that Mac users get the best end of the deal, as part of the "Go on, get a Mac" campaign started by the iPod.

MA.

Personally, I could see Apple trying it out on Mac first and perfecting it like they did with the iPod...

Mac'Mo
Jan 4, 2007, 09:01 AM
i thought the white chocolate by LG looked kinda like an iPhone

mo0805
Jan 4, 2007, 09:03 AM
i'm not going to make any assumptions about what the apple phone will or will not be, but if one is coming out I'd be willing to bet that it's going to be a great product. I just want it to come out so I can play with it.

Evangelion
Jan 4, 2007, 09:04 AM
I really don't understand why an ipod+phone should cost $600+. What's so complicated about adding a phone function on the ipod?

Well, for starters phones have to pass very strict regulatory-approvals, and that could drive up the cost.

Zadillo
Jan 4, 2007, 09:09 AM

I mean come on one thing is to adore a company, buts its another when people just want a cool factor phone with ipod capabilities?

I really dont see any type of break thourgh functionality beiong deployed by apple.

Plus stop calling it iPhone please.

I remember in an interview where the owner of this site and another mac related website where asked
about why they think an apple phone would be so much better then veteran companies that push design and functionality already in the
cell phone market. Their whole answer was based around iPod, they did not answer the question properly. All they kept saying is ipod functionality and ease of use. Seriously motorola appeals to the young and hip (razr) nokia pushes technology and sleek designs into its phones. Treo and blackberrys appeal to business and end users both in functionality and looks. You have Htc's etc.

Last i checked the iPod was a music player far from a phone-Also last i checked apple had 0 experience in the cell phone market.
Apple is very predictable just look at their history they re-writte their own products and evolutionize it-and pass it as INNOVATIVE
an apple cell phone is most likely in the works i mean they had the newton before (flopped) they had the apple tv and the experimental set top box (both flopped) and now their bringing back those same ideas in hopes they nail it the second time around.

But in all honesty aopple should just stick to making computers thats what we know them by. They have failed horribly on other bussiness ventures and i think they will not succeed in the phone market. Too many well established cell phone makers out there that have an extreme amount of epxrience in this market. Their phones have been recreated after years and years to pefection to appeal.

A cell phone with ipod capabilites and nothing else? I have a slvr that do just that. So basically people are willing to spend up to 600 dollars for a apple branded slvr? WOW are you the same ones complaining about gas prices when they go up?

I will pass get on with the computers apple

I really can't believe no-one has responded to this post directly yet.

The arguments you are making here sound a lot like the arguments made against Apple getting into the mp3 player market. People looked at the mp3 player market at the time and said, basically, what's the point of Apple doing this? There are already lots of people making mp3 players, and they are all great. What can Apple possibly offer?

Generally speaking, the idea that cellphones have reached the pinnacle of perfection is laughable to me. Yes, there are cellphones that can browse the web, let you read and send e-mail, etc. but a lot of people still find them to be pretty cumbersome and not really be all that great at these tasks. Frankly even Windows Smartphones and Treos are not perfect (and the Treo especially is worth noting because the Palm OS as we know it is dead, and the Treo has really stagnated, with Palm having to make incremental changes to it while waiting for a new OS to use).

I think there's plenty of room for improvement in how mobile phones work, and I think Apple absolutely could do a lot of good in this area.

BenRoethig
Jan 4, 2007, 09:19 AM
I could see Apple seriously selling this phone unlocked while keeping the price down a bit. Apple would kick-start that market of unlocked phones that has so far been dormant in the United States.

It's dormant because its next to impossible to get an unlocked phone to work here. Most of the major carriers have taken steps to make sure their networks only work with phones they sell.

Warbrain
Jan 4, 2007, 09:21 AM
It's dormant because its next to impossible to get an unlocked phone to work here. Most of the major carriers have taken steps to make sure their networks only work with phones they sell.

Only on CDMA. If you have a contract with a GSM carrier, like Cingular, you're able to go and buy a phone with a SIM card slot and use your Cingular service on it without any problems at all. Trust me, I've done it before. The CDMA carriers, however, have locked in their services and yes, do make it a pain in the ass.

And it's dormant because Americans have become so used to having their phones subsidized by the carriers and won't pay 200-600 dollars for a phone.

Zadillo
Jan 4, 2007, 09:25 AM

Palm is directly selling an unlocked version of the Palm Treo 680, and I believe they have sold unlocked versions of other Treos as well. I haven't heard of any issues with any major carriers here making it difficult for these to work.

-Zadillo

palhen
Jan 4, 2007, 09:28 AM

MA.

Sounds very plausible, but the extra would probably only be in software. And that would exclude some of the more far-out wishes on this forum...

Henrik

uNext
Jan 4, 2007, 10:23 AM

The arguments you are making here sound a lot like the arguments made against Apple getting into the mp3 player market. People looked at the mp3 player market at the time and said, basically, what's the point of Apple doing this? There are already lots of people making mp3 players, and they are all great. What can Apple possibly offer?

Generally speaking, the idea that cellphones have reached the pinnacle of perfection is laughable to me. Yes, there are cellphones that can browse the web, let you read and send e-mail, etc. but a lot of people still find them to be pretty cumbersome and not really be all that great at these tasks. Frankly even Windows Smartphones and Treos are not perfect (and the Treo especially is worth noting because the Palm OS as we know it is dead, and the Treo has really stagnated, with Palm having to make incremental changes to it while waiting for a new OS to use).

I think there's plenty of room for improvement in how mobile phones work, and I think Apple absolutely could do a lot of good in this area.

The diffrence between the mp3 player then and the cell phone market now is way diffrent BOTH IN FORM FACTORS AND THE TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE.

Back then the mp3 players on the market where bulky not sexy at all. Low capacity, no appeal so the market was for the grabs. Apple came out with something appealing sexy and with a large capacity so they snatched the market.

The cell phone market now is full of devices with fan base already behidn them. (Sidekick,treo's, Htc's,Nokias) They all offer capabilitys that a laptop
provide in a small pocket size device. (you have cell phones with mp3 player capabilities, video ,instant messages, email etc.)

Apple will really have to have a serious trick up its sleeve for the "PHONE" to not be compared to anythign out there. The margin is so slim because phones now a days give you everything you want in 1.

So i am asking again

What can the apple phone provide thats not already out there? Besides the ipod features? Which is a limitation alone.

slim design? form factor? if they release a phone with a QWERTY KEYBOARD built in
it will compared to the treo. If it comes out with a instant message & email feature it will be compared to the sidekicks and so on.

This can tarnish a companys product-because then alot of people will just simply start comparing it. Look at the zune when i go to best buy any mp3 player is now an ipod-i could be asking for a zune or creative and the first thing they say is "OHH YOU MEAN LIKE AN IPOD"

Zadillo
Jan 4, 2007, 10:31 AM
The diffrence between the mp3 player then and the cell phone market now is way diffrent.

Back then the mp3 players on the market where bulky not sexy at all. Low capacity, no appeal so the market was for the grabs. Apple came out with something appealing sexy and with a large capacity so they snatched the market.

The cell phone market now is full of devices with fan base already behidn them. (Sidekick,treo's, Htc's,Nokias) They all offer capabilitys that a laptop
provide in a small pocket size device. (you have cell phones with mp3 player capabilities, video ,instant messages, email etc.)

Apple will really have to have a serious trick up its sleeve for the "PHONE" to not be compared to anythign out there. The margin is so slim because phones now a days give you everything you want in 1.

So i am asking again

What can the apple phone provide thats not already out there? Besides the ipod features? Which is a limitation alone.

slim design? form factor? if they release a phone with a QWERTY KEYBOARD built in
it will compared to the treo. If it comes out with a instant message & email feature it will be compared to the sidekicks and so on.

This can tarnish a companys product-because then alot of people will just simply start comparing it. Look at the zune when i go to best buy any mp3 player is now an ipod-i could be asking for a zune or creative and the first thing they say is "OHH YOU MEAN LIKE AN IPOD"

I think there is more to it though. Remember, with the iPod, Apple didn't just offer a slicker or nicer looking mp3 player. It also had a better interface, and the integration with iTunes.

You are focused on just the features themselves that things like the Treo, Sidekick, Windows Mobile Smartphones, etc. offer, but features by themselves aren't everything.

The actual interfaces and functionality of a lot of these phones leaves a lot to be desired. The Treo, for example, is popular, but the Palm OS it runs on is really a pretty big mess right now (don't get me wrong, I'm a Treo fan, and have used a Treo 650 exclusively for almost 2 years now, but I can see where it is getting long in the tooth).

Seriously, yes, there are phones out there that offer all sorts of features, but how many of them offer really good interfaces? I've tried testing out sending e-mail on a variety of phones, and they are generally a pain.

Really, I think there is a lot of room for improvement. Cell phone companies seem to be doing a decent job overall with creating slick phones that look nice, but the UI aspect of them still seems to have a long way to go, whether you're talking about the LG Chocolate, Sony's Walkman phones, the Treo, the various Windows Mobile 2005 phones, etc.

Much Ado
Jan 4, 2007, 10:32 AM

Quite right.

I'm fed up of using phones that feel like they were designed by blind technophobes. There is so much work to be done in this area, and if Apple want to spearhead the change, i'm all for it.

mo0805
Jan 4, 2007, 10:46 AM
Now that would make sense, yeah.

no actually, that wouldn't make sense. VoIP phones are trash. The sound quality on them is trash, and they drop calls when bandwidth is scarce. I would prefer my cell phone NOT double as a VoIP phone. But remote for iTV... yes that would be nice.

peharri
Jan 4, 2007, 11:09 AM
Here's what I think the iPod Phone should look like:

1. Multisystem phone working with all world wide deployed mobile phone standards on all frequencies. Support for Rev. C of CDMA and 3GPP Release 8 of UMTS, plus WiMAX. Uses SIM cards, even on CDMA networks.
2. Should be credit card sized.
3. 16Gb Flash for music
4. 7 day battery life
5. Built-in web browser
6. 5MP camera
7. Bluetooth and 802.11n
8. Voice control
9. Entire face should be a touch screen. Recognises your finger prints both for security and to eliminate the need to lock the keypad.
10. Free nights and weekends.
11. Free mobile to mobile, even across different networks
12. Apple should pretend mobile phone carriers can brand and lock the phone, so that they subsidize it, but then should put in a "secret" code that, when entered, causes any logos painted onto the phone to dissolve, remove all locks, and change the software to Apple's branding. This code should be communicated to everyone on the understanding that Verizon employees never get to hear about it.
13. Can run Parallels, allowing the user to run both Apple's firmware, plus anything third rate and defacto standard like Symbian.
14. Java. Dunking it into a cup of hot water results in a delicious cup of piping hot coffee within seconds.
15. Integrates with Mac OS X, Mac OS, AmigaOS, and Sinclair QDOS. Windows support permanently "RSN".
16. Slideout screw-driver and pocket knife.
17. $199, with $399 mail in rebate.
18. Phone automatically able to send in its own mail-in rebates.
19. Reception and transmission power so powerful you can reach your home network even outside of its coverage area.
20. Multimedia messaging.

What do you think?

nukiduz
Jan 4, 2007, 12:00 PM
i think i won't read any other imposibly-overfeatured-gadget post. enough please

scburns123
Jan 4, 2007, 12:06 PM
Perhaps this is the Apple Phone we are all looking towards!!!

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPATD281686&id=Sxw-AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=apple+computer,+phone#PPA6,M1

dernhelm
Jan 4, 2007, 12:12 PM
Quite right.

I'm fed up of using phones that feel like they were designed by blind technophobes. There is so much work to be done in this area, and if Apple want to spearhead the change, i'm all for it.

Actually a phone designed by someone who was blind and not a techno-weenie would probably have a lot going for in terms of usability that our current phones do not have. For one thing, it would be a lot easier to figure out how to send a call to voicemail when your phone is ringing in your pocket and you don't want to take it out and deal with it.

For another if it were not designed by a techno-weenie, it would probably be easier to use the 300+ features these phones come with - or better yet, the 295+ useless features would simply be eliminated, and stuff like turning on and off bluetooth to enable synchronization to your computer would be 100 times easier.

cvorden
Jan 4, 2007, 01:13 PM
Maybe its a newton with a phone built in

mauros
Jan 4, 2007, 01:16 PM
Have you look at this http://www.hardmac.com/news/2007-01-04/#6267

They already have it !!!!:rolleyes:

Data
Jan 4, 2007, 01:25 PM
If apple would bring out a phone, i would be happy already it it would just work with my mac os, in the syncing and so on with adress book.
I am so dun with all those orther phone brands, the one can do A another one can do B .9 out of 10 times you only find that out after you signed a contract and can't go back.
I always loved my SE p610 , it synced ok, i could use it with adresbook to send sms over bleutooth it was small and a good baterrij life, so when that one was finished, i thought ok, let's get a new one with more memory and more features from SE because the old one worked so well, so i did.
I went for the P910i nice phone .little big but ok, it does syncing but no sms via adresbook, and that was a feature i used regulary.
I was realy p***** when i found out it did not do that, and when you then try to find out why , SE says goto apple and apple says goto SE.
Just for that reason alone i would like Just a phone, not even ipod phone made by apple, so i know the software will be compatabill with the mac os.

The phone sould be like the mac's themselfs, JUST WORK, with my Mac, i could not care less bout PC user's , they can buy windows bassed cellphones ;-).

DVK916
Jan 4, 2007, 01:39 PM
Well I won't be getting on for sure. Since apple won't support CDMA, and I use sprint.

If apple does make a CDMA version, which is comfirmed that they won't. They need to include support for EVDO Rev A, since these networks have already been launched. Big diffrence in speed.

Much Ado
Jan 4, 2007, 01:49 PM
For another if it were not designed by a techno-weenie, it would probably be easier to use .

As i say...

sishaw
Jan 4, 2007, 02:51 PM

Actually, in my recollection, MP3 players at the time were either flash-based, in which case they had extremely small capacities, or they were big,, clunky hard-drive based boat anchors. Then along came the iPod--small, light, elegant, high-capacity, and I and a lot of other people said, 'now THIS is more like it' on our way to buying our first-gen iPods.

One area where Apple could add value to phones is the user interface. No cell phone I've ever owned has what one would call a simple or intuitive interface--it's more like something you put up with so you can use the phone.

We'll see what, if anything, Apple comes up with.

Zadillo
Jan 4, 2007, 03:00 PM
Actually, in my recollection, MP3 players at the time were either flash-based, in which case they had extremely small capacities, or they were big,, clunky hard-drive based boat anchors. Then along came the iPod--small, light, elegant, high-capacity, and I and a lot of other people said, 'now THIS is more like it' on our way to buying our first-gen iPods.

One area where Apple could add value to phones is the user interface. No cell phone I've ever owned has what one would call a simple or intuitive interface--it's more like something you put up with so you can use the phone.

We'll see what, if anything, Apple comes up with.

That is true, the iPod was also notable for offering larger capacities (although it's 5GB capacity was still smaller than the 20GB hard drives found in things like the Nomad Jukebox or Compaq iPaq Personal Audio Player) in a form factor closer to flash-based systems. But the other downside of the other mp3 players at that time were that the interfaces for navigating the music on them weren't that good, and the software for synching and managing music on them was either non-existent or not very good (heck, before Apple released iTunes for Windows, you had to use MusicMatch).

DisturbedLen
Jan 4, 2007, 03:22 PM
To me, music is not the most important thing for a phone. A phone could not replace my 60GB iPod. The most important features would be:

1. A clean GUI with a large display.
2. Integration with iCal, Mail, Bookmarks, etc.. WITHOUT a .Mac subscription. (I fear that a .Mac subscription is somehow going to be tied into this phone thing.) I want IMAP support, not just for .Mac email.
3. Decent camera
4. A freakin clip! Right in the box. Hardly anybody includes these anymore...

Simplicity will work best. Cramming 9000 features into a phone will make it fail. Apple won't do that. But I do expect some type of "wow" feature that will make it different from other phones on the market.

sishaw
Jan 4, 2007, 03:43 PM
That is true, the iPod was also notable for offering larger capacities (although it's 5GB capacity was still smaller than the 20GB hard drives found in things like the Nomad Jukebox or Compaq iPaq Personal Audio Player) in a form factor closer to flash-based systems. But the other downside of the other mp3 players at that time were that the interfaces for navigating the music on them weren't that good, and the software for synching and managing music on them was either non-existent or not very good (heck, before Apple released iTunes for Windows, you had to use MusicMatch).

That's right, I do remember that! Also, an independent software writer came up with something called "Ephpod," which is what I used until iTunes for Windows came out. The web site is actually still up.

palhen
Jan 4, 2007, 03:49 PM
To me, music is not the most important thing for a phone. A phone could not replace my 60GB iPod. The most important features would be:

1. A clean GUI with a large display.
2. Integration with iCal, Mail, Bookmarks, etc.. WITHOUT a .Mac subscription. (I fear that a .Mac subscription is somehow going to be tied into this phone thing.) I want IMAP support, not just for .Mac email.
3. Decent camera
4. A freakin clip! Right in the box. Hardly anybody includes these anymore...

Simplicity will work best. Cramming 9000 features into a phone will make it fail. Apple won't do that. But I do expect some type of "wow" feature that will make it different from other phones on the market.

A camera is just a wow-feature, hopefully left out of this. And don't expect a clip from Apple. It would be extremely un-Apple.

Henrik

balamw
Jan 4, 2007, 03:50 PM
And don't expect a clip from Apple. It would be extremely un-Apple.
You have seen the 2G Shuffle, right. :p

B

bbydon
Jan 4, 2007, 04:28 PM
i don't know if this has been mentioned or not
but i just found a iTunes phone driver in the software update.

balamw
Jan 4, 2007, 04:33 PM
i don't know if this has been mentioned or not
but i just found a iTunes phone driver in the software update.

:rolleyes:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=232942

B

bbydon
Jan 4, 2007, 04:35 PM
oops
sorry.

SiliconAddict
Jan 4, 2007, 05:38 PM
why do people think this is so labor intensive? all I do is add 20 absurd lines of text per iphone rumor. would this require brain power for others

That's making the assumption that I knew that you did that.

McScooby
Jan 4, 2007, 10:00 PM
http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/9300/0,7747,,00.html

It's candy bar by nature, styled like a "flip", externally acts just like a phone should and do (make and receive calls with basic, limited functionality, possibly a camera (again externally), but when you open flip, there's none of this screen one side and keyboard other just pure widescreen both sides of flip acting together as one large screen (hinge could be a prob, apple engs would have 'magically' sorted), possibilty of scroll either touch screen or smaller form on bottom flip - This matches Steve's supposed ease of use - flip activates Vpod.
Now sure this ain't nano size or Ipod thin, but acting as a phone it has basic ipod functions, open it up it's the mother of screens to be portable. When closed in transit, the screen is protected.

Dumbed down mac-syncing .mac Pda function rolled into larger form & when Vpod activated acts a screen show for pictures taken/stored

There could just be another candy styled nano featured phone.

& at a stretch both act as basic controller for iTV/Front Row thru infrared (I think i remember seeing in recent build of leopard screen shots the ability to unpair or add a remote control)

Oh and in best interests of apple making money, a detatchable battery ( & what a battery it would prbly need!) just like any other mobile phone out there - so they can sell u another saving them on replacements!

Amphersand
Jan 5, 2007, 12:28 PM
Anybody here got a DS?

There about the right size and weight. Throw a phone and a camera in one of them, make the touch screen full size, both sides, touch jog wheel etc. Ipod stylings etc. Winner.

ajprice
Jan 5, 2007, 04:06 PM
Anybody here got a DS?

There about the right size and weight. Throw a phone and a camera in one of them, make the touch screen full size, both sides, touch jog wheel etc. Ipod stylings etc. Winner.

O2 Exec (http://www.my-xda.com/xdaexec.html)

stevebabcock
Jan 5, 2007, 09:33 PM
This rumor always surfaces around Macworld time. I am among the many wishful thinkers when it comes to the iphone. I just want a good phone that can play mp3s, sync with my address book and ical as well as utilize all the functions of ichat.

PS: Someone explain the concept of "unlocked phone" to me? What does that mean?

Danksi
Jan 5, 2007, 09:37 PM
O2 Exec (http://www.my-xda.com/xdaexec.html)

I've seen this thing quite a bit and IMHO it's the clunkiest handheld I've seen with an O2 badge (well - with any badge really for that matter).

I'm sure someone will explain in more detail, but basically it means you can buy a handheld device (typically GSM) and use it on any mobile/cell phone network. Although a lot of carriers now offer 'sim only' packages, the problem is, you may end up having a hard time getting the correct settings out of a carrier's 'support' team, to benefit from any services beyond voice/text messaging - unless it's a device that's fully supported by that carrier. You may end up having to figure out what settings go where yourself.

AppleIntelRock
Jan 6, 2007, 01:52 AM
Doesn't look like it's going down at MWSF (http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=20595&hed=iPhone+Gets+Macworld+Hang-Up&sector=Industries&subsector=EntertainmentAndMedia)

Compile 'em all
Jan 6, 2007, 06:08 AM
Here's what I think the iPod Phone should look like:

1. Multisystem phone working with all world wide deployed mobile phone standards on all frequencies. Support for Rev. C of CDMA and 3GPP Release 8 of UMTS, plus WiMAX. Uses SIM cards, even on CDMA networks.
2. Should be credit card sized.
3. 16Gb Flash for music
4. 7 day battery life
5. Built-in web browser
6. 5MP camera
7. Bluetooth and 802.11n
8. Voice control
9. Entire face should be a touch screen. Recognises your finger prints both for security and to eliminate the need to lock the keypad.
10. Free nights and weekends.
11. Free mobile to mobile, even across different networks
12. Apple should pretend mobile phone carriers can brand and lock the phone, so that they subsidize it, but then should put in a "secret" code that, when entered, causes any logos painted onto the phone to dissolve, remove all locks, and change the software to Apple's branding. This code should be communicated to everyone on the understanding that Verizon employees never get to hear about it.
13. Can run Parallels, allowing the user to run both Apple's firmware, plus anything third rate and defacto standard like Symbian.
14. Java. Dunking it into a cup of hot water results in a delicious cup of piping hot coffee within seconds.
15. Integrates with Mac OS X, Mac OS, AmigaOS, and Sinclair QDOS. Windows support permanently "RSN".
16. Slideout screw-driver and pocket knife.
17. $199, with $399 mail in rebate.
18. Phone automatically able to send in its own mail-in rebates.
19. Reception and transmission power so powerful you can reach your home network even outside of its coverage area.
20. Multimedia messaging.

What do you think?

I think it will be similar in size to this phone:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8930/worldsfirstcellphonevq7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

peharri
Jan 6, 2007, 09:58 AM
This rumor always surfaces around Macworld time. I am among the many wishful thinkers when it comes to the iphone. I just want a good phone that can play mp3s, sync with my address book and ical as well as utilize all the functions of ichat.

An unlocked phone is a phone that isn't tied to a particular operator. Some operators sell subsidized phones that they "lock" to their own networks. This means that putting in a different operator's (U)SIM card (GSM, UMTS, or iDEN) or trying to reprogram the phone to connect to a different operator (AMPS, and its successors like IS-95 (so-called "CDMA") and D-AMPS) is prevented by the phone's firmware.

Sometimes this is undoable. Nokia GSM phones are generally unlockable via codes generated by a series of publicly available algorithms, entered on the handset keypad.

There are several reasons why you would want to switch a phone to a different operator. If you're roaming, your operator may not have a roaming agreement, or the roaming agreement may be absurdly expensive, much more expensive than buying a contractless Pay as You Go SIM card.

You might simply like an old phone but no longer be with that operator. A friend has an AT&T N-Gage that he unlocked and now use with their T-Mobile account. On that note, even if he'd stuck with AT&T, if he'd upgraded his account to a new Cingular contract (Cingular bought AT&T), the N-Gage would have become unusable with the new contract because it was locked to AT&T and Cingular SIMs wouldn't have worked in it.

It's more of an issue with GSM phones than AMPS/D-AMPS/IS-95 phones, largely because switching the latter type of phone requires the active cooperation of the operator, most of whom are reknowned for being control freaks when it comes to deciding what equipment you're going to use on their network. GSM users are used to having freedom and choice, and the locking mentality actively works against that.

But that's why people want unlocked phones. They want to buy a phone, and know they can use it for years, no matter what happens to their operator.

joepunk
Jan 6, 2007, 10:35 AM
On engadget mobile website they have another iPhone mock-up (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/01/05/keepin-it-real-fake-part-xl-imobile-plays-both-sides/) on display. This one look really great and quite believable imo.

And here is the chinese translated site with more images (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fchinese.engadget.com%2F2007%2F01%2F05%2Funknown-apple-imobile-pics%2F&langpair=zh-CN%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools)

Compile 'em all
Jan 6, 2007, 10:47 AM
A camera is just a wow-feature, hopefully left out of this.

Cameras are integrated nowadays in all Phones because they generate data traffic for the network operator ;).

Compile 'em all
Jan 6, 2007, 10:50 AM
On engadget mobile website they have another iPhone mock-up (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/01/05/keepin-it-real-fake-part-xl-imobile-plays-both-sides/) on display. This one look really great and quite believable imo.

And here is the chinese translated site with more images (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fchinese.engadget.com%2F2007%2F01%2F05%2Funknown-apple-imobile-pics%2F&langpair=zh-CN%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools)

This one looks too complicated to be a product from Apple. It looks nice though.

clevin
Jan 6, 2007, 12:13 PM

dont worry, there will be another 16% rich ppl buy it, even if they aren't paying attention right now.

clevin
Jan 6, 2007, 12:15 PM

I really hope they can cover the keyboard, it gets dirty, and difficult to clean, especially if its white.

daexpert
Jan 7, 2007, 03:07 AM
You have seen the 2G Shuffle, right. :p

B

Darn right I did, bought the gurl one for x-mas and now I am jealous....those things rock. Soo small.....

daexpert
Jan 7, 2007, 03:08 AM

Wooo, I like it! Lots of buttons to push. ;-)

peharri
Jan 7, 2007, 08:05 AM
Wooo, I like it! Lots of buttons to push. ;-)

The best part is the Windows key... (top left hand corner of the keypad, opposite the Apple key on the right)

Compile 'em all
Jan 7, 2007, 08:06 AM
The best part is the Windows key... (top left hand corner of the keypad,

You mean the worst :D :p

balamw
Jan 7, 2007, 10:23 AM
Darn right I did, bought the gurl one for x-mas and now I am jealous....those things rock. Soo small.....
The comment was directed at Pahlen who said not to expect a clip from Apple. Even when the 2G Shuffle pretty much is nothing but clip.

B

daexpert
Jan 7, 2007, 10:37 AM
The comment was directed at Pahlen who said not to expect a clip from Apple. Even when the 2G Shuffle pretty much is nothing but clip.

B

LOL, not sure where the comparison might be between an Apple cell phone and the 2g shuffle...:confused:

daexpert
Jan 7, 2007, 10:38 AM
The best part is the Windows key... (top left hand corner of the keypad, opposite the Apple key on the right)

...kinda missed that part...does that mean I would have to ctrl-alt-del to unlock my phone??? :mad:

quantman
Jan 7, 2007, 11:03 AM
You mean the worst :D :p

Think about this like war strategy or chess!

You want to achieve checkmate or surround the enemy and give them no options. The guy who has less than 5% market share has nothing to lose. The guy with greater than 95% market share cannot afford to risk making his system Mac and Windows capable.

Putting a Mac AND a Windows button on a phone (with dual op system functionality):

1. Makes every single person a potential customer for the Iphone irrespective of whether they have a Mac or a PC. That makes it a winner by keeping 100% of the target market in focus.

2. Makes every single person who buys this phone constantly ask themselves why not get a MAC because Mac parallels offers both Mac and Windows Operating systems/platforms whereas PC's DO Not!

3. Remember Jobs recently that AAPL has to get over the notion that for AAPL to win MSFT has to lose!

4. It really would be a threat to HP and DELL.

5. The Ipod loving world would continue to gravitate to the Apple retail stores and Mac market share would climb, particularly if ITV is also a hit.

6. MSFT then will be left to focus on the enterprise market and the consumer market would belong to AAPL. That is AAPL's strength-understanding the mass market consumer!

DavoMrMac
Jan 7, 2007, 03:24 PM
There are some great mock-ups of iPhones about and I for one would love to see a phone from Apple released.

This is what I expect to see released:
http://www.wikidesign.co.uk/Geekanoids/2007/01/macworld-07-geekanoids-expectations.html

paradillon
Jan 7, 2007, 08:55 PM
Drudge Report -

APPLE PERSONAL COMPUTER TO CARRY IN A POCKET.. DEVELOPING...

Well at this point we don't have a long wait to find out.

Zadillo
Jan 8, 2007, 07:14 AM
Well at this point we don't have long a wait to find out.

Turned out to be a sensationalistic headline, I think - it's basically just an IHT article talking about the rumours of an Apple iPhone, etc. but nothing we haven't already heard.

Natekhsirv
Feb 22, 2013, 11:18 AM

The only way I would buy one is if it gave me the ability to easily place a phone call (perhaps by selecting a contact in my Address Book), receive a phone call, and play music. Video isn't really that important to me on a device as small as a phone / iPod - and I don't think video chat would be extremely important, either. All that would do is jack up the price a couple hundred more.
How wrong were you !!!!

geerlingguy
Sep 19, 2013, 10:21 PM
How wrong were you !!!!

I can't believe I wrote that. :rolleyes:

mattcube64
Sep 19, 2013, 11:06 PM
Haha, awesome bump! :)