PDA

View Full Version : Question About iPod Format

Zwhaler
Jan 4, 2007, 01:48 AM
Hi, I have a fourth generation iPod Photo (30 gig) that was originally formatted for windows around a year and a half ago, before I owned a Mac. Now that I have a Mac, I always sync my iPod's music with the iTunes library on my Mac. Whenever I plug it in, under summary it says it is formatted for windows. There are no compatibally issues, but I was just wondering what it takes to make it say it is formatted for Mac. Thanks in advance.

thewhitehart
Jan 4, 2007, 01:57 AM
You have to restore the iPod under mac, which will delete all of its contents. In iTunes 7, there's an option to "restore" the iPod on the iPod's main information page.

You can also use the latest iPod updater application, which is somehwhere in your Utilities folder in your Applications folder. Updates to the iPod are now handled by iTunes 7.

Just be aware that a mac formatted iPod cannot be used on a windows pc again without reformatting, while a windows formatted iPod can be synced with a mac without reformatting it.

Howard Brazee
Jan 4, 2007, 10:00 AM
From: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60920#faq1

Using the iPod for Mac on a PC, or using the iPod for Windows on a Mac, is not supported by Apple. FAT32 is the format used by Windows, and while some FAT32 iPod models may work with your Mac, Apple only supports using the iPod shuffle in FAT32 format on Mac.

I will probably give up the iPod shuffle when I get a Mac.

Am3822
Jan 4, 2007, 10:10 AM
I have a third generation (firewire, dock, backlit keys) iPod 20GB, formatted under windows. I have plugged it into my mac and, as far as I can tell, it works fine.