PDA

View Full Version : Can Apple Thrive Without Steve Jobs?

MacBytes
Jan 4, 2007, 01:03 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Can Apple Thrive Without Steve Jobs? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070104140327)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Zwhaler
Jan 4, 2007, 01:08 PM
Given what history has shown, Apple won't do nearly as well without him. But if Jobs sets up Apple so they can't fail if he leaves, then they might be able to pull it off without him.

capone2
Jan 4, 2007, 01:09 PM
becuase they have established such a name for themselves and this cool rep-
As long as the products get better they will be good.

But we enjoy it more and feel more secure with SJ at the helm!

mainstreetmark
Jan 4, 2007, 01:25 PM
becuase they have established such a name for themselves and this cool rep-

They HAD that back in the 80's, and *poof*

BornAgainMac
Jan 4, 2007, 01:50 PM
No way. Steve is Apple. It was most evident from the late 80's and early 90's.

DMann
Jan 4, 2007, 01:51 PM

True enough..... Great study in 'Brand vs. Visionary'

SpaceMagic
Jan 4, 2007, 02:12 PM
Unfortunately/Fortunately (Depending on which way you see it) Apple is Steve Jobs.

Without him, it'll be subject to bad decisions and leaks if the next management isn't as strong. Everyone knows how strong willed Steve is.

Stocks will plummet the day steve jobs retires.

dswoodley
Jan 4, 2007, 02:51 PM
It does not help that Apple encourages the mystique built around Jobs, which is setting themselves up for a huge tumble. This is a basic public relations rule, never tie the success of the organization to any one individual too much. Give credit where credit is due, but don't make anyone out to be irreplaceable.

Squonk
Jan 4, 2007, 03:01 PM

I can't deny that, but there would be a difference: We'd have to assume that Steve is grooming management to function with or without him at the helm full time. Back in the 80's, Steve was ousted by a board who was confident that they didn't need him. I blame a fair amount of their failure on this ignorance. With any luck, Steve will slowly ride into the sunset with an ear to what Apple is doing...

kalisphoenix
Jan 4, 2007, 03:04 PM
Can Apple thrive now?

It seems like a significant portion of the Mac userbase are blathering nutjobs, as evidenced by the "Apple's 2007 Greeting: What is the secret message?" thread.

Same thing with the Intelligent Design theory. It's not a good thing when so many of your supporters are insane.

Mac'Mo
Jan 4, 2007, 03:08 PM
i would say no, he's an energetic, charismatic, creative leader who isn't very easy to replace

IJ Reilly
Jan 4, 2007, 04:30 PM
Steve has made himself irreplaceable. I give him credit for having helped Apple in any of a hundred ways, but I don't think he's done anybody a favor by drawing Apple's entire center of gravity towards himself.

BTW, it's a pleasure to read a story about Apple by someone who actually knows Apple's history. Makes a nice change. Back in the day, I had a theory that Morgenstern was the writer behind the Mac the Knife column in MacWeek.

BenRoethig
Jan 4, 2007, 05:08 PM
Absolutely they can. He has installed the culture. To be honest, I think they could be doing much more if he stepped back to chairman and someone with a less biased viewpoint ran the day to day operations. While Apple gets innovation and coolness, the same can't be said for practicality. Mistakes have been made that have that have held back the platform just because they're something that Steve doesn't do himself.

iMikeT
Jan 4, 2007, 06:35 PM
All I have to say is that 1985-1996 was a very bad time in Apple's history.

Rocketman
Jan 4, 2007, 06:38 PM
Can Apple thrive now?

It seems like a significant portion of the Mac userbase are blathering nutjobs, as evidenced by the "Apple's 2007 Greeting: What is the secret message?" thread.

Same thing with the Intelligent Design theory. It's not a good thing when so many of your supporters are insane.

Like leader, like minions . . .

But it is a good insane :)

Rocketman

timswim78
Jan 4, 2007, 06:54 PM
Apple will be fine without Steve Jobs as long as they find a polished front man. The guys that presented at the last Keynotes sounded like bumbling idiots (although I am sure that they are highly intelligent people).

One sign of a truly good leader is that he (or she) has developed a pool of people that can replace him for the inevitable day when he must leave. Take Herb Kelleher, the charismatic leader of Southwest Airlines for example. He used to say that he was not worried about the day that he left (reporters would often ask him what would happen to SWA when he left), because he knew that there were hundreds of people in the organization that had the potential to step up and thrive as the organization's leader, once he stepped down.

SPUY767
Jan 4, 2007, 07:02 PM
I like how he say that the company with arguably the strongest brand in all of technology, only has a small foothold in the industry.

savanahrose
Jan 4, 2007, 07:04 PM
I think he was talking in terms of the product. Not too many people have a mac and it is a great product.

Which I am sure you knew what he was talking about.:)

zap2
Jan 4, 2007, 07:05 PM
I'll say yes...Apple IS a good company. When Jobs left last time, he left angry. This time (hopefully) when he leaves will be by choice(or possible death but that would be a while from now) and he'll have a plan for when he leaves.

Jobs is very good at what he does, and he won't leave Apple with out a plan. Also Jobs, while a HUGE part of Apple, isn't the only person there with good idea. Ives is very skilled at making design. Apple is in good hands for years to come

FrankBlack
Jan 4, 2007, 07:31 PM
I believe the answer is yes, they will survive and continue to do what they do best, as long as it is handled properly. What does that mean?

-A chain of command is well established.

-His retirement is planned and announced well in advance, two years at least. This is pretty much how Bill Gates is handling his own departure. This gives Wall street time to settle down, and fans/customers time to adjust.

Let's not forget Steve's own cancer scare of '04 reference link (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/jobsmemo.html) During that time, Tim Cook ran the company. I suspect Apple has a plan in place already, but they are under no obligation to reveal what it is.

Now, in my very best Joan Crawford Voice,,"No More Michael Spindlers!!! Ever!!!!"

A question here: Have any of you encountered any Windows users who are aware that Bill Gates is retiring, or that it is Steve Ballmer, not Gates, who actually runs Microsoft? A surprising number of people I deal with are not aware of this at all.

840quadra
Jan 4, 2007, 07:56 PM
Steve has made himself irreplaceable. I give him credit for having helped Apple in any of a hundred ways, but I don't think he's done anybody a favor by drawing Apple's entire center of gravity towards himself.

Agreed in all entirety.

BTW, it's a pleasure to read a story about Apple by someone who actually knows Apple's history. Makes a nice change. Back in the day, I had a theory that Morgenstern was the writer behind the Mac the Knife column in MacWeek.

Again agreed.

I am sick of all of these Apple related articles that have little information on the company or history.

My Thoughts on the future

I think Apple would be okay in the future if they keep using Phil Schiller as a spokesman for the company. He is both Charismatic, and has a history of being a good guy to work with, and has been involved almost as long as Steve's return to Apple.

winmacguy
Jan 4, 2007, 09:38 PM
Ives is very skilled at making design. Apple is in good hands for years to come

The interesting thing about that part of your comment is that when the iPod was being developed Ive was actually only a very small part of the whole process according to the article in Wired which surprised me.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 4, 2007, 10:44 PM
I think when steve leaves apple will feel a lot of pain and I expect their stock price to drop quite a bit.
Apple will be make it out ok but it will take years to recover their losses. Apple will loss a lot of power because right now there are a lot of people who almost worship steve jobs and treat the stuff he says like the word of God.

grafikat
Jan 5, 2007, 09:31 PM
the only bright spot is it might mean a second life for Newton, or iNewt or some similar pda/umpc. As Jobs doesn't like them, maybe a brief LOA would allow for my secret desire to be (re)developed.