PDA

View Full Version : video ipod as boot disk

know-it-all5
Jan 4, 2007, 03:45 PM
it said on wikipedia that an ipod can ...

wikipedia-
An iPod formatted as HFS Plus is able to serve as a boot disk for a Mac computer, allowing one to have a portable operating system installed. The older iPods with FireWire ports could additionally function in FireWire Disk Mode. With the advent of the Windows-compatible iPod, the iPod's default file system switched from HFS Plus to FAT32, although it can be reformatted to either filesystem (excluding the iPod shuffle which is strictly FAT32).

If i get a 5.5 (hopefully 6g) video ipod can i use it as a bootdisk and also an ipod if i format it to hfs plus?

I have asked this prior i think, however, i didn't get a straight answer, and have asked many who are quite unsure. anybody with actual experiences know?

mad jew
Jan 4, 2007, 03:47 PM
You can't use it as both an iPod and a boot disk. You can use it as one or the other, but only if you have an Intel Mac. Most PPC Macs will not boot from USB. :)

know-it-all5
Jan 4, 2007, 03:53 PM
You can't use it as both an iPod and a boot disk. You can use it as one or the other, but only if you have an Intel Mac. Most PPC Macs will not boot from USB. :)

thanks mate, i guess wikipedia was sorta wrong. PS. are you everywhere madjew?

mad jew
Jan 4, 2007, 03:55 PM
Yep. Everywhere.

yellow
Jan 4, 2007, 03:56 PM
You should see his Broadway Show. Spectaculaaaar!