PDA

View Full Version : Live coverage

Buschmaster
Jan 4, 2007, 07:12 PM
So how many of us will be on for this particular keynote? I'm sure I will be. This place is going to basically be unusable if certain products are released. (e.g. iPhone)

ITASOR
Jan 4, 2007, 07:14 PM
It will be useable. It switches over to the MacRumorsLive system, which uses a low amount of bandwidth and refreshes by itself for you. The forums are usually disabled to save bandwidth and, I would assume, to prevent 82349324908324 "LOOK WHAT WAS RELEASED" threads. :p

Aniej
Jan 4, 2007, 07:18 PM
were forums disabled at WWDC? I don't recall if they were or not.

Buschmaster
Jan 4, 2007, 07:20 PM
It will be useable. It switches over to the MacRumorsLive system, which uses a low amount of bandwidth and refreshes by itself for you. The forums are usually disabled to save bandwidth and, I would assume, to prevent 82349324908324 "LOOK WHAT WAS RELEASED" threads. :p
Ah, I guess I just forgot that the forums were disabled. ;)

theman5725
Jan 4, 2007, 08:02 PM
At what time is the keynote? I probably won't be able to watch it but it would be cool to see some of it.

WildCowboy
Jan 4, 2007, 08:06 PM
At what time is the keynote? I probably won't be able to watch it but it would be cool to see some of it.

9 AM Pacific on Tuesday...you'll just get text-based updates (and hopefully some pics) here, but it's about the best you can do. Apple will post the Quicktime video a few hours after it ends.

thedude110
Jan 4, 2007, 08:34 PM
I wish wish wish I could be online for the keynote.

*shakes fist at the rest of you*

AHDuke99
Jan 4, 2007, 08:56 PM
9 AM Pacific on Tuesday...you'll just get text-based updates (and hopefully some pics) here, but it's about the best you can do. Apple will post the Quicktime video a few hours after it ends.

oh, i thought it was on monday. another day to wait :(

buffalo
Jan 4, 2007, 08:56 PM
dang school on Tuesday. hmmm, maybe I should try to connect to the school's wireless with my brother's PSP.

arn
Jan 4, 2007, 10:20 PM
forums will not be disabled this time around. We should be able to stay up.

arn

aswitcher
Jan 4, 2007, 11:43 PM

arn

Wow. That will be interesting to see.

Buschmaster
Jan 6, 2007, 10:07 AM

arn
All hands on deck?

You'll need to delete all those: "The FIRST post about the new [insert iTV's true name here]"

cbrain
Jan 6, 2007, 11:15 AM
Could you tell me what time the Keynote is in England's time please?

mduser63
Jan 6, 2007, 01:02 PM

arn

That will be nice. It's always frustrating when the forums are overloaded right after the keynote. This one's going to be big no matter what, because either everybody's going to be logging on to complain that they were disappointed, or else it really is going to be as big as it has been hyped to be, and that'll be just as bad for forum traffic.

Jimmieboy
Jan 7, 2007, 12:58 AM
It's a pity that it will start at around 3.30AM in Brisbane. Looks like I'll find out all the latest gadgets in the early morning.

Willis
Jan 7, 2007, 02:44 AM
Could you tell me what time the Keynote is in England's time please?

5PM GMT.

England is 8 hours ahead of Cupertino

iMacZealot
Jan 7, 2007, 03:49 AM
dang school on Tuesday. hmmm, maybe I should try to connect to the school's wireless with my brother's PSP.

Wow, you're lucky. No WiFi at my school (I think), and I'm deeply afraid of bringing my new Sidekick as it would likely be stolen.

I will either have to wait until I get home or sneak into the PC lab and pretend to look something up for a report. :)

dogbone
Jan 7, 2007, 03:53 AM

arn

So does that mean we *will* be getting the

82349324908324 "LOOK WHAT WAS RELEASED" threads

after all?

Will_reed
Jan 7, 2007, 08:36 AM
I'm gonn stay up all night in excitement just like all the other steve notes then I'm gonna go to sleep and hope that the stream will run ok after I sleep and wake up again.

SuperCompu2
Jan 7, 2007, 08:50 AM
I'll probably save myself, keep away from the forums, and watch the keynote on quicktime. This way I get the max effect.

Not saying it won't be hard keeping away from here, lol

cyberddot
Jan 7, 2007, 09:12 AM
This is the first chance I've had, so I'm not going to miss it. I'll be avoiding the forum(s) and waiting for the Spoiler Free© QT-delay. Who'd have thought this would be one of the benefits of being temporarily unemployed?! :)

Lonon
Jan 7, 2007, 09:14 AM
I'm going for popcorn, some Cokes and beers, and 10 sites open simultaneously in Firefox with live coverage. It's that time of year again... snif! :)

Lunja
Jan 7, 2007, 09:41 AM
I'm going for popcorn, some Cokes and beers, and 10 sites open simultaneously in Firefox with live coverage. It's that time of year again... snif! :)

That's so sad... I'll be doing exactly the same :D

Will the MRChat IRC thread be up and running this time? If so could someone explain how people can download it, because I can't remember how I got mine :o

Apple!Fre@k
Jan 7, 2007, 09:53 AM

Gizmodo.com will have near-live up-to-the-minute photos of the Keynote. They're bringing a special rig with that automatically resizes and uploads pictures to the website within 30 seconds of the photographer taking them. Pretty cool.

Knox
Jan 7, 2007, 10:20 AM
That's so sad... I'll be doing exactly the same :D

Will the MRChat IRC thread be up and running this time? If so could someone explain how people can download it, because I can't remember how I got mine :o

Yes, it'll be running and can be downloaded from here (http://www.macrumorslive.com/irc/login/)

Gizmodo.com will have near-live up-to-the-minute photos of the Keynote. They're bringing a special rig with that automatically resizes and uploads pictures to the website within 30 seconds of the photographer taking them. Pretty cool.

You never know, we might have something similar ;)

(although I think 30 seconds is probably pushing it for ours)

ITASOR
Jan 7, 2007, 10:38 AM
So does that mean we *will* be getting the

after all?

Maybe a few less...:p

iMacZealot
Jan 7, 2007, 02:39 PM
So, when will the QuickTime stream of the actual thing come up? Not the live one, I know, which it won't be live, but when will the QT stream come up?

WildCowboy
Jan 7, 2007, 02:42 PM
So, when will the QuickTime stream of the actual thing come up? Not the live one, I know, which it won't be live, but when will the QT stream come up?

Generally sometime between two and eight hours after the keynote ends.

iPegboy
Jan 7, 2007, 02:48 PM
i don't think the forum posts will be too out of control. people will be watching the text updates and what not. i won't be ready to discuss, say, the first product released while i waiting to hear other new items.

iMacZealot
Jan 7, 2007, 02:50 PM
Generally sometime between two and eight hours after the keynote ends.

The keynote ends at 11am Pacific? Well, I'm definitely not going to wait until 8:00pm tonight. I'm in school the whole day, and lunch is from 11:15-12:00, so the keynote won't be done when I check apple.com and pretend to look something up for a report in the PC lab. Plus, I remember doing this last year, and the website didn't work completely right. There were pictures missing of the MacBookPro, etc. I'll probably have to sign on here after school.

Zazaban
Jan 7, 2007, 03:25 PM

Ever heard of the Flu? :D

iMacZealot
Jan 7, 2007, 04:10 PM
Ever heard of the Flu? :D

Yeah, I have, but unfortunately, my dad's a doctor, so the whole playing sick charade doesn't work.

Oh, and he owns Apple stock, so he knows what's going on Tuesday anyway.

dane0
Jan 7, 2007, 04:37 PM
I have to hand in a gigantic ****ing exam paper Friday so no keynote for me until Friday at 12 AM :(

Zazaban
Jan 7, 2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I have, but unfortunately, my dad's a doctor, so the whole playing sick charade doesn't work.

Oh, and he owns Apple stock, so he knows what's going on Tuesday anyway. Find somebody who's got the flu and french kiss him/her. (Her would be nice)

iMacZealot
Jan 7, 2007, 05:07 PM
Find somebody who's got the flu and french kiss him/her. (Her would be nice)

I like that plan! It's better than eating all that black snow around me. (I'm in Denver, you've probably heard of our giant blizzards.) Speaking of blizzards, perhaps another storm will come Tuesday. Still, your plan is more fun!

Zazaban
Jan 7, 2007, 06:07 PM
I like that plan! It's better than eating all that black snow around me. (I'm in Denver, you've probably heard of our giant blizzards.) Speaking of blizzards, perhaps another storm will come Tuesday. Still, your plan is more fun!

I don't know a whole lot about cities in the US.

iMacZealot
Jan 7, 2007, 09:26 PM
I don't know a whole lot about cities in the US.

Well, I'm in Denver, Colorado, and we've gotten close to four feet of snow total in the last month. And whenever there's snow, the snow on the side of streets turns all black from the exhaust from the cars. Our state's been in the news a lot in the last month because of our blizzards, the airport (which is a MAJOR hub for United Airlines) closed for a few days right before Christmas so nobody could get out, the mayor hasn't lifted a finger to help with all the snow (and nobody cares because they all love him), the streets are a mess, Broncos cornerback (an American football position) Darrent Williams (24 years old) was killed on New Year's Eve (coincidentially the day they lost and didn't qualify for the playoffs, but that wasn't the reason why he was killed), and there was an avalanche that the national news tried to turn into a big story when only seven people got caught in it. Oh, and there's another storm coming, and I hope my school calls off a snow day on Tuesday so I can watch/read MSWF07.

There. That's a good chapter for you to read about what's going on in Colorado.

Lunja
Jan 7, 2007, 09:31 PM
Well, I'm in Denver, Colorado, and we've gotten close to four feet of snow total in the last month.

Don't worry- the world isn't entirely ignorant to your plight. It's been on the news over here a couple of times.

I like snow, but four feet is a bit much. Sounds like Colorado hasn't been too lucky recently...

iMacZealot
Jan 7, 2007, 09:40 PM
Don't worry- the world isn't entirely ignorant to your plight. It's been on the news over here a couple of times.

I like snow, but four feet is a bit much. Sounds like Colorado hasn't been too lucky recently...

Chapter 2 of what's going on in Denver:

Well, Denver has this stereotype that we live on a giant mountain, always waist-deep in snow, live in log cabins, and ski to work. We rarely get more than 18 inches of snow. Since most storms come from the Pacific and move westward, they die out in the mountains before they can do anything here. And, it actually gets really hot in the summer. Oh, and we always get 300 days of sunshine, except this year.

That's a cumulative 4 feet; the first one came about four days before Christmas and had about two feet, but about half of that melted and another foot came on Christmas. Then, we got another 6 inches Friday, and they're expecting another storm this week. Denver is officially changing its name this spring to Pothole City because that hick of a mayor (his last name is Hickenlooper - how convenient) didn't care about plowing the sidestreets, but everyone else loves him for...I don't know why they love him.

We're all pretty sad about Darrent...only 24 years old, and he was a great guy. Some other guys got into a fight on New Year's Eve at a sketchy hip hop club, and he never gets into fights and instead buys the guy a drink, but there was a drive-by shooting, and they got him instead of someone else.

Zazaban
Jan 8, 2007, 09:32 AM
Here in Vancouver we were almost knee-deep in November. Odd because we usually don't even GET snow.

cbrain
Jan 8, 2007, 09:47 AM
5PM GMT.

England is 8 hours ahead of Cupertino

The keynote is in San Francisco though. Same time?

tsvb
Jan 8, 2007, 09:51 AM
I will be watching/reading from the office! I cleared out the schedule. :)

Compile 'em all
Jan 8, 2007, 10:00 AM
Anyone has an idea if Macrumors will be setting up an IRC room with the live coverage? It is usually updated faster than the AJAX-based page at MacrumorsLive (http://www.macrumorslive.com/).

Knox
Jan 8, 2007, 10:18 AM
The keynote is in San Francisco though. Same time?

Yes, same time.

Anyone has an idea if Macrumors will be setting up an IRC room with the live coverage? It is usually updated faster than the AJAX-based page at MacrumorsLive (http://www.macrumorslive.com/).

Yes, IRC will be operational as usual.

http://www.macrumorslive.com/irc/login/
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/06/20030608214842.shtml

Second link is the one that is open all-year round, first one is the dedicated MacRumorsLive server. Both will carry the same updates.

Compile 'em all
Jan 8, 2007, 10:29 AM
Yes, IRC will be operational as usual.

http://www.macrumorslive.com/irc/login/
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/06/20030608214842.shtml

Second link is the one that is open all-year round, first one is the dedicated MacRumorsLive server. Both will carry the same updates.

Great. Thanks.

acearchie
Jan 8, 2007, 10:52 AM
Oh im getting really excited now!

Perhaps to prevent loadsa new threads could new threads be vlocked and maybe a mod can create a thread now for all teh products hoping to be released so people can only reply to them.

Sorry shouldnt really but in like that!

Lunja
Jan 8, 2007, 01:06 PM

I asked that same question in an earlier post, and yep, the IRC will be up and running;) All the info is in the previous page.

Chef Medeski
Jan 8, 2007, 01:26 PM
Here in Vancouver we were almost knee-deep in November. Odd because we usually don't even GET snow.

And here in Montreal where we should be up to our knees easily by now we had about 3 cms last night which has all melted by now. :(

Zazaban
Jan 8, 2007, 02:06 PM
And here in Montreal where we should be up to our knees easily by now we had about 3 cms last night which has all melted by now. :(

DAMN YOU GLOBAL WARMING!

yagran
Jan 9, 2007, 02:50 AM
surely someone could just spycam the event?!