PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Free link to QuickTime Stream?

Pages : [1] 2

katanna
Jan 5, 2007, 08:33 AM
Hey guys,

I want to watch the QuickTime stream "fresh," without knowing anything going in. This has worked OK in the past, but I always get a little spoiled before I watch the show (MacBook Pro, new Shuffle). Is there a link (webpage, e-mail, RSS) that I can simply get the notice once the QuickTime stream is up, and what the link is? In the past, I have watched:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/
but they don't always update that page right away (I have watched that page for more than a day before while the link was up).
I guess I could use the current numbering system and set my home page to:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf07/
(my home page is currently apple.com).

Any ideas? Thanks for the input.

Matthew

WildCowboy
Jan 5, 2007, 08:38 AM
I would just keep checking that second URL to see if it's been posted. Possibly have an occasional look at the first URL just in case they decide to change their directory structure, but I highly doubt they would at this point.

840quadra
Jan 5, 2007, 09:29 AM
There is also no guarantee that the link will be active during the keynote (aka live) . I made the mistake of Digging WWDC 2006's QT link. It got to the front page, but it wasn't live..

I was :o

WildCowboy
Jan 5, 2007, 09:35 AM
There is also no guarantee that the link will be active during the keynote (aka live) .

Oh, no...I don't think much of anyone expects there to be live coverage. They did away with that some time ago. But the QT archived video should be up within a few hours after the keynote ends.

katanna
Jan 5, 2007, 10:30 AM
Oh, no...I don't think much of anyone expects there to be live coverage. They did away with that some time ago. But the QT archived video should be up within a few hours after the keynote ends.

Right... I am talking about the "archive" video that they host after the event... I SO miss the live feeds (I remember when they canceled them)!!!

The reason for the post here was in hopes that there would be others like me... enough to warrant a page, link, RSS, e-mail, something of the sort. Guess not. No biggie.

Matthew

Aniej
Jan 5, 2007, 11:09 AM
isn't there perhaps an easier solution to this? Why don't we either talk to one of the moderators on here or someone who doesn't mind can go onto apple's website and the direct link to the feed when it is up.

arn
Jan 5, 2007, 11:19 AM
we can set this up...

stay tuned.

arn

Aniej
Jan 5, 2007, 11:24 AM
And there you go!

UberMac
Jan 5, 2007, 11:41 AM
we can set this up...

stay tuned.

arn

Thanks arn - you're a star! :)

Uber x

xUKHCx
Jan 5, 2007, 11:55 AM
Cool i prefer to see the introduction gives it the wow factor rather than the mild excitment of reading the keynote.

arn
Jan 5, 2007, 02:19 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070105150245.shtml

We'll update that page. It's linked to this thread.

arn

mkrishnan
Jan 5, 2007, 02:34 PM
Feel it people. A million geeks, all achieving orgasm at the same time. It's such a thing of beauty. :)

Clive At Five
Jan 5, 2007, 02:38 PM
Yes, please spare me the agony of finding out about Apple's products the moment they are announced!

Honestly, I don't think I'd be able to last a minute beyond the keynote without knowing what was new from Apple. Props to you for will power.

-Clive

mdntcallr
Jan 5, 2007, 02:39 PM
it would be great if apple would put up a video feed of the keynote live.

if not that, put it in the local apple stores.

Willis
Jan 5, 2007, 02:41 PM
Ah yes! Everytime I want to watch a Keynote, its usually spoiled by the fact the homepage on Apple.com is promoting the new products.... sort of ruins it really.

Arn... you're a true legend.

Aniej
Jan 5, 2007, 02:44 PM

wildcowboy and I will go post on the apple site suggesting this idea, perhaps steve will then follow our idea 9 minutes latter and ubermac can thank him for it;)

ejbenjamin
Jan 5, 2007, 02:46 PM
You guys are the coolest. Thanks for all your hard work.

NorCalLights
Jan 5, 2007, 02:49 PM
It's awesome not having spoilers. I think I'll watch the keynote oldschool this year.

Aniej
Jan 5, 2007, 02:54 PM
and old school would mean what on an apple II with 3D glasses?

gleepskip
Jan 5, 2007, 02:54 PM

What an awesome idea. Show up to your local Apple Store to watch the keynote and buy the product(s) that are available that day as soon as Steve says, "See you again soon."

Donz0r
Jan 5, 2007, 02:56 PM
Thank You!!! I always want to do this! Also, this year I have an appointment right in the middle of the keynote! You guys rock! IMO, this is The Best way to discover the new products, the way it was meant to be.

Georgie
Jan 5, 2007, 03:00 PM
Why did Apple do away with live feeds of the event? That seems like a good idea. What are they trying to avoid?

Clive At Five
Jan 5, 2007, 03:00 PM
What an awesome idea. Show up to your local Apple Store to watch the keynote and buy the product(s) that are available that day as soon as Steve says, "See you again soon."

Doesn't anyone remember that this used to be the case? Right in the beginning, there was a live video feed to all the Apple stores... I went to two of them, both at the Mall of America store (and both times sat next to some very quirky Mac users... y'know... the regular type). Then one year, I went and it wasn't on. I was pissed. Then I learned Apple wasn't doing that because it was too expensive or something.

Seeing the floor traffic of those places, I don't see how it couldn't be lucrative to get passers-by excited about fresh products...

Whatever, I guess.

-Clive

gleepskip
Jan 5, 2007, 03:15 PM
The agony.

3 days, 19 hours, 45 minutes left.

Zwhaler
Jan 5, 2007, 03:16 PM
Awesome idea, this will be a cool way to discover new products! Ahh...

apfhex
Jan 5, 2007, 03:17 PM
Right in the beginning, there was a live video feed to all the Apple stores... I went to two of them, both at the Mall of America store (and both times sat next to some very quirky Mac users... y'know... the regular type). Then one year, I went and it wasn't on. I was pissed. Then I learned Apple wasn't doing that because it was too expensive or something.
I wish they at least did that still. I mean, they offer a streaming video after the event, is it really so much more expensive to to offer it live? That would be something worth getting up early and going to the Apple Store for.

Although I find enough excitement in both reading the live text updates and then getting to go to Apple's site and see the product pages,and watch them in action in the keynote video.

iMacZealot
Jan 5, 2007, 03:17 PM
Feel it people. A million geeks, all achieving orgasm at the same time. It's such a thing of beauty. :)

EWW!!
It's in my head forever!!!

JMax1
Jan 5, 2007, 03:20 PM
hey that was my idea this time :(

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=265757

hob
Jan 5, 2007, 03:21 PM
Doesn't anyone remember that this used to be the case? Right in the beginning, there was a live video feed to all the Apple stores... I went to two of them, both at the Mall of America store (and both times sat next to some very quirky Mac users... y'know... the regular type). Then one year, I went and it wasn't on. I was pissed. Then I learned Apple wasn't doing that because it was too expensive or something.

Seeing the floor traffic of those places, I don't see how it couldn't be lucrative to get passers-by excited about fresh products...

Whatever, I guess.

-Clive

I think it was WWDC '05, just after the Apple Store in Regent Street, London had just opened. I went in about 4 hours before the keynote was due to start, I actually happened to be passing through. I also happened to see the store manager standing on the bottom floor. I enquired if he'd be showing the keynote in the theatre, he said something like

"I'd love to, but none of my staff would get any work done"...! Which is totally opposite to the experience I had at every other apple store front and back...

Ideally, they should get all the security guards to be extra vigilant, as they don't care about the keynote, give all the staffers the 2 hours off except a few for the tills (they could even rotate them on 20-minute shifts) then put Steve up on all the screens, and in the theatre, and have him blaring out throughout the store!

Then bust out all the "do not open until 7pm" boxes! I'd be there with about £400 in my pocket!!

edit: after that blurb, I forgot what I was gonna write! Cheers Arn, good job! I'm worried the feed will get totally MacRumoured though!!

Aniej
Jan 5, 2007, 03:21 PM
it would be nice if we could also post a countdown ticker as well don't you think? Like the widget for macworld or jsw's madejew post counter?

chrisgeleven
Jan 5, 2007, 03:23 PM
Why did Apple do away with live feeds of the event? That seems like a good idea. What are they trying to avoid?

That little thing called bandwidth. You know how many people will be hitting that streaming video stream if it were live? With it being tape delayed, Apple can somewhat spread out the number of people who will be watching it.

Heck I have a hard enough time viewing the keynote hours after it was released, never mind trying to do it live.

thequicksilver
Jan 5, 2007, 03:23 PM
Perfect, wonderful, magnificent: many many thanks indeed. :)

<runs off to delete all his Mac-related RSS feeds until Wednesday>

Knox
Jan 5, 2007, 03:24 PM
I wish they at least did that still. I mean, they offer a streaming video after the event, is it really so much more expensive to to offer it live?

Although the data transferred may be the same or more with on-demand streams, when it's live there will be much higher simultaneous usage. With high-end hosting in general, simultaneous usage is the killer and not really total bandwidth usage. With the popularity of Apple these days the number of simultaneous streams could be extremely high (I mean, if MacRumors gets 100,000 visitors simultaneously think what Apple would get themselves).

gleepskip
Jan 5, 2007, 03:27 PM
I wish they at least did that still. I mean, they offer a streaming video after the event, is it really so much more expensive to to offer it live? That would be something worth getting up early and going to the Apple Store for.

Although I find enough excitement in both reading the live text updates and then getting to go to Apple's site and see the product pages,and watch them in action in the keynote video.

I suppose we could go to the Apple Store on Tuesday and hit the live blog sites on their Macs. Then, when the event is over, go to the cash register and say, "Gimmie!!!"

hob
Jan 5, 2007, 03:29 PM
Although the data transferred may be the same or more with on-demand streams, when it's live there will be much higher simultaneous usage. With high-end hosting in general, simultaneous usage is the killer and not really total bandwidth usage. With the popularity of Apple these days the number of simultaneous streams could be extremely high (I mean, if MacRumors gets 100,000 visitors simultaneously think what Apple would get themselves).

I don't think expense is the issue here.

Apple can either:

1. Offer the stream only to the stores

2. Pay for massive bandwidth. Have you seen the profit from last quarter alone?! The people watching would most probably have bought an apple product of 5 recently!

MacBoobsPro
Jan 5, 2007, 03:41 PM

If it was live you wouldnt get all the split screen editing etc. It would be quite a linear and boring presentation.

Editing the feed can give emphasis to certain aspects and also cut out anything that goes wrong.

Knox
Jan 5, 2007, 03:44 PM
I don't think expense is the issue here.

It was more the logistics of serving hundreds of thousands of clients I was thinking of, although expense could be a factor - I would suspect that the vast majority of people who would bother to watch a live keynote stream will find out what's said anyway via another method, so little financial benefit doing a live stream.

Technically a live stream to the stores would be far more likely, but then you have human management issues - how busy the stores get etc.

Paix247
Jan 5, 2007, 03:45 PM

Whatever, I guess.

-Clive

I went to the Mall of America Apple Store for the live feed of the G5 release. Good times...

buffalo
Jan 5, 2007, 03:47 PM
I'm getting too excited for Macword. So excited that I'll probably feel let-down at the afterwards.

m-dogg
Jan 5, 2007, 04:06 PM
This is a great idea for those that would like this option. MR rocks as always!

Me though, I prefer the frequent frantic checks to the site as I try to get all my 'real work' done at the office.

One year everyone was going out to lunch and I lied and said I had too much work to do...just so I could eat at my desk and get all the late-breaking news. My co-workers would think I was weird if I said why I really wasn't going...

Yes, I'm a geek. :p

Aniej
Jan 5, 2007, 04:11 PM
I didn't see any replies to my idea about posting a counter to tick of the DD:HH:MM:SS until climax, I mean Keynote.;) Usually I take that as a bad sign, but you know how you all get when you have blue b..., you can't think straight. So is this idea worth pursuing, kinda like the widgets available, but might be nice to have directly tied to the link with no spoilers.

jonharris200
Jan 5, 2007, 04:16 PM
thanks arn, very thoughtful!

[...bookmarks macrumorslive.com (http://www.macrumorslive.com) and sets that as his homepage instead...]

:D

stevehp
Jan 5, 2007, 04:16 PM
great idea. thanks.

Metatron
Jan 5, 2007, 04:19 PM
If I recall correctly (prob. not) Apple use to have the keynote live on TV that people could pick up with old c-band sat. recievers. What ever happend to that?

p0intblank
Jan 5, 2007, 04:20 PM
I did this for WWDC and enjoyed it more than reading the updates. I'll be doing it again for Macworld. It's just so much more exciting. :D

runninmac
Jan 5, 2007, 04:20 PM
Great idea but sadly I don't have enough will power to wait :D

jonharris200
Jan 5, 2007, 04:23 PM
If I recall correctly (prob. not) Apple use to have the keynote live on TV that people could pick up with old c-band sat. recievers. What ever happend to that?
Yeah, and before that - like gazillions of years ago - Apple used to stream it as a pre-historic cave painting (animated, of course). 'Direct to a den near you' was the tag-line. Anyone else remember that? :D

DaveTheGrey
Jan 5, 2007, 04:28 PM
guys don't forget also to quit your chat aps.

imagine:
u wait 3 hours for the stream and then...
an ichat message pops up...
"Hi buddy. I just went down to the apple store and now I'm writing to you with my new iPhone. Yeah.
Wanna come over and check it out?"

Dave

slffl
Jan 5, 2007, 04:31 PM
Great idea Macrumors! I hope I can hold out that long, but it would be even more exciting watching a video stream rather than refreshing a webpage. Hopefully the stream will work.

jonharris200
Jan 5, 2007, 04:34 PM
guys don't forget also to quit your chat aps.

imagine:
u wait 3 hours for the stream and then...
an ichat message pops up...
"Hi buddy. I just went down to the apple store and now I'm writing to you with my new iPhone. Yeah.
Wanna come over and check it out?"

Dave
Also switch off mobile, unplug landline, wear iPod, raise volume, close curtains, disconnect TV, put head under pillow, sing loudly ... and retreat to a remote Hebridean island until the keynote is posted.

Alternatively, if you're feeling more extreme...

slffl
Jan 5, 2007, 04:35 PM
This is a great idea for those that would like this option. MR rocks as always!

Me though, I prefer the frequent frantic checks to the site as I try to get all my 'real work' done at the office.

One year everyone was going out to lunch and I lied and said I had too much work to do...just so I could eat at my desk and get all the late-breaking news. My co-workers would think I was weird if I said why I really wasn't going...

Yes, I'm a geek. :p

LOL, so I'm not the only one. Every apple event I get a nice latte and bagel sandwich and eat at my desk too. Macworld has replaced christmas for me :)

vniow
Jan 5, 2007, 04:38 PM

Too bad the keynote wasn't set for December 22nd (http://www.globalorgasm.org/) instead.

LastLine
Jan 5, 2007, 04:40 PM
Also switch off mobile, unplug landline, wear iPod, raise volume, close curtains, disconnect TV, put head under pillow, sing loudly ... and retreat to a remote Hebridean island until the keynote is posted.

Alternatively, if you're feeling more extreme...

"And one more thing...all 5G ipods have a built in wireless chip which we activated about 5 seconds ago, so here's a recap for all those of you listening in..."

Bonte
Jan 5, 2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the service MR! :)
This time i really want to watch the keynote unspoiled, its going to be hard to resist all the Mac sites but this time i'm going for it.

TravisGood
Jan 5, 2007, 04:53 PM
It's hard to believe that you guys are making this effort to not "spoil".

Your sensitivity to readers who want an embargo on updates till they can view the QT stream first is unprecedented. I can hardly believe you're doing it! The niche purist audience you attract can't help but appreciate it.

Me? I'll be logged on to your live site for up-to-the-minute news!

Keep up the good work. Travis

zoozx
Jan 5, 2007, 05:09 PM
Any bets that James Brown gets used in the apple event in some way.
Talk about thinking different.
The guy made music out of a word like popcorn.
RIP JB.......:cool:

letaalio
Jan 5, 2007, 05:19 PM
It's hard to believe that you guys are making this effort to not "spoil".

Yeah, it is kind of wierd, considering this is MacRumours, where mostly everyone comes to find out about Apple stuff before it is actually announced :rolleyes:

Mr. Man
Jan 5, 2007, 05:42 PM
so will the link provided be updated to be a direct link to the quicktime movie apple post, becuase i dont want to see anything on here or the apple home page first!

crap freakboy
Jan 5, 2007, 05:43 PM
Excellent work MR.
Stops me sneaking a look before the stream is available.
Now I can watch after the kids and 'er indoors are asleep.
Fantastic.

MacsRgr8
Jan 5, 2007, 05:54 PM
I love this time of year.

We had Christmas, and new year, and the usual hangovers and overweightness that accompanies these last couple of days ;)

Now life gets back to normal......
..... but not for us Mac-geeks. The last couple of days leading up to the MacWorld SF Keynote speech is definitely my favorite time!
The expectation, the excitement, the rumors, and reading about all of us how we like to spend the actual "time of speech".
Over here in Europe the time of day is perfect: 6 pm CET. Either stay at work and follow the news there (websites, MRChat etc.) or rush home and do the same.
Use iChat to link all news & views with fellow nerds....

Me, personally, I just have to know right away. I can't wait until the QT link is up.... especially as it usually is overloaded and results in poor viewing the first couple of hours.

Best time of year. Every year (followed by the last days leading up to the WWDC ;) )

thomas040
Jan 5, 2007, 05:54 PM
please admins, be sure to moderate this thread as to make sure NOBODY spoils anything... just to ruin the fun for everybody else...

I usually do this with my friend. We walk around with "blindfolds" on.. so we don't hear any news, don't read anything.... and then my friend has been kind enough to mail the direct link to the quicktime broadcast... when it became available.

Then a projector, some candy and coca cola... and we were set. It's very fun to view it, as live....:)

So MacRumors helping out here, is a great idea. And I really hope, that you are up to the minute with the feed. My friend found the feed last year, before it was on any of apples pages. So I hope your diggin' is up to par ;)

supermacdesign
Jan 5, 2007, 05:57 PM
I am such a geek I can't friggin wait. I've already got the giddy shakes... I know the MacWorld covergae auto-updates like every minute but I can't stop myself from refreshing!! I am so sorry MacRumors!!

odedia
Jan 5, 2007, 06:00 PM
This is really excellent.

I, too, was luring the apple keynotes page all the time, then finally broke cause I knew SOMETHING was up already. This is a great way to get the stream as soon as possible.

Erasmus
Jan 5, 2007, 06:05 PM
Awesome!

Thanks Arn! You're a true legend.

In terms of not being able to wait, you should come live in Australia. Considering the Keynote is at like 4:00 am or something, I'll be able to get the stream when I wake up!

I think I'm going to enjoy Wednesday Morning...

belovedmonster
Jan 5, 2007, 06:15 PM
If it was live you wouldnt get all the split screen editing etc. It would be quite a linear and boring presentation.

Editing the feed can give emphasis to certain aspects and also cut out anything that goes wrong.

Havent you ever seen live TV? Doing Picture in Picture effects (split screen) is nothing that cant be done with a simple press of a button at the mixing desk and doesn't represent any problem for live broadcasts what so ever. In fact, actually editing those effects in afterwards would require way more work than just doing it live on the fly. No one in their right mind would do it after the event if they didn't have to.

Knox
Jan 5, 2007, 06:25 PM
please admins, be sure to moderate this thread as to make sure NOBODY spoils anything... just to ruin the fun for everybody else...

Probably safest avoiding the forums to be honest, including this thread :)

Arcady
Jan 5, 2007, 06:34 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the idea of a spoiler-free experience sort of run completely opposite to the purpose of this site? You sit around all year reading rumors and then don't want to be spoiled three hours before they post the keynote? Huh?

MacsRgr8
Jan 5, 2007, 06:37 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the idea of a spoiler-free experience sort of run completely opposite to the purpose of this site? You sit around all year reading rumors and then don't want to be spoiled three hours before they post the keynote? Huh?

IMHO candidate for best post of 2007. :cool:

buffalo
Jan 5, 2007, 07:07 PM

When you spend the whole year waiting for the event you want the moment to be perfect.

Ketsjap
Jan 5, 2007, 07:23 PM
I love the idea of a non-spoiling keynote-experience.

BUT

As I can recall, just after the keynote is posted online, there seem to be that much people viewing it that it just becomes worthless to watch. Such as: image hickups, buffering-probs, vid/sound synchronization-probs...

That is if you even can connect to the stream! Most of the times, the feed just wasn't accessible!

Don't you guys have that problem over there in the States? Maybe it is because I'm in the EU? It really sucks, I guarantee..

Avicdar
Jan 5, 2007, 07:30 PM
I'm getting too excited for Macword. So excited that I'll probably feel let-down at the afterwards.

These keynotes *always* lead to a pack of grumbles and groans. Its inevitable. Some of the wild predictions you see here and ultra high expectations for products with ultra low prices - it sets a pretty unrealistic set of expectations that are impossible to meet.

Getting too excited is a sure fire way to guarantee disappointment. Nothing short of 'one more thing' that is as revolutionary as the iPod was will likely satiate the throngs of the hard to please - and even then, the 'one more thing' will be too expensive for them.

Count on it.

www.avicdar.com - my photography website

mackensteff
Jan 5, 2007, 07:41 PM
I didn't see any replies to my idea about posting a counter to tick of the DD:HH:MM:SS until climax, I mean Keynote.;) Usually I take that as a bad sign, but you know how you all get when you have blue b..., you can't think straight. So is this idea worth pursuing, kinda like the widgets available, but might be nice to have directly tied to the link with no spoilers.

Check the front page right above this story for the count down. I think the blue b... things are starting to affect your vision, but I thought it was the opposite, you go blind if you... I guess we now know the truth

thequicksilver
Jan 5, 2007, 07:48 PM

Believe it or not this isn't the case. I was at the Paris Expo in 2004 sat directly behind the video editing booth in the middle of the hall with a clear view of the editor's screen. The split screens and the like were prepared one slide in advance and all was done as it went along.

I was one of the first few outside of Apple to see the new iMac G5, about 30 seconds in front of everyone else. :)

bigandy
Jan 5, 2007, 07:59 PM
I love the idea of a non-spoiling keynote-experience.

BUT

As I can recall, just after the keynote is posted online, there seem to be that much people viewing it that it just becomes worthless to watch. Such as: image hickups, buffering-probs, vid/sound synchronization-probs...

That is if you even can connect to the stream! Most of the times, the feed just wasn't accessible!

Don't you guys have that problem over there in the States? Maybe it is because I'm in the EU? It really sucks, I guarantee..

Last January's MWSF was so annoying - I couldn't pick up a reliable stream until about four days later... :(

mkrishnan
Jan 5, 2007, 08:02 PM
Too bad the keynote wasn't set for December 22nd (http://www.globalorgasm.org/) instead.

I like! I like! :D

Although I personally am a fan of the Every Day is O Day campaign. :D Gotta fight prostate cancer!

Erm, now, I hope MWSF is hawt, anyways. :)

Polardude
Jan 5, 2007, 08:14 PM
Can someone mirror the qt stream and post it along the official link when it becomes live? I remember I had to wait at least 2 days before I was able to stream the keynote from last year's MWSF.

Imagine holding off the urge to check apple.com / macrumors.com and stopping people short from talking about the new products for 2 days... *sighs*

Doctor Q
Jan 5, 2007, 08:35 PM
Although the data transferred may be the same or more with on-demand streams, when it's live there will be much higher simultaneous usage. With high-end hosting in general, simultaneous usage is the killer and not really total bandwidth usage. With the popularity of Apple these days the number of simultaneous streams could be extremely high (I mean, if MacRumors gets 100,000 visitors simultaneously think what Apple would get themselves).If they tried to offer a live audio stream, would that produce the same simultaneous usage problem, even though the bandwidth would be reduced?

the.snitch
Jan 5, 2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks arn, this is exactly what I wanted :)

On keynote days, i generally set my homepage to the appleevents page, and make sure I dont go to any other sites that day. Then I just wander over to my local starbucks high speed hotspot in downtown auckland and watch the whole stream in H.264 :cool:

I hate finding out what will be released until after i have seen the keynote - Its like someone killing a movie for you, by telling you the twists just before you go see it. This way it's fresh, and you listen to Jobs' every word with anticipation

docgraham
Jan 5, 2007, 08:58 PM
I've been wanting to do this for a few years now. Thanks! ! !

Xeem
Jan 5, 2007, 10:09 PM
Thank you arn! I've also always hated knowing the keynote's outcome before I watch it; this is exactly what I wanted!

gdew
Jan 5, 2007, 10:21 PM
I am not sure whether or not this has been suggested, but is it not possible for someone in the audience (macrumors.com) to set up a video or audio feed?

arn
Jan 5, 2007, 10:31 PM
I am not sure whether or not this has been suggested, but is it not possible for someone in the audience (macrumors.com) to set up a video or audio feed?

It's been discussed in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=265739

It's best summed up here:

It would be nice, but there are significant hurdles with streaming when you scale up to the volumes that a public keynote stream would attract. There are very few organisations with the infrastructure to serve large numbers of simultaneous streams, and even with donated bandwidth you then have the logistical problem of sending the feed from the source to multiple distribution points.
Oh it's definitely possible, but really there's only one company that could realistically cope with the traffic - Akamai - and even they would likely have problems. 150,000 people streaming 300kbit video would be about 44 Gbit/sec, which would be about 10-15% of Akamai's entire global bandwidth usage and 50% of their streams. Even audio would be 10 Gbit/sec for a 64 kbit stream.

Basically, serving up simultanous traffic for a live feed is very resource intensive. It's a very different thing to serve 100,000 people in a day vs 100,000 at the same time.

We're incorporating near-real time photos in this year's MacRumors coverage... so it shuold be pretty enjoyable.... barring any unforseen circumstances. :)

arn

MDMac
Jan 6, 2007, 02:24 AM
I can't wait! I'm having trouble sleeping nights... :p

Bonte
Jan 6, 2007, 02:25 AM
Yeah, it is kind of wierd, considering this is MacRumours, where mostly everyone comes to find out about Apple stuff before it is actually announced :rolleyes:

Yeah but hearing the full specs the day before spoils the whole thing, as of today i'm not visiting Mac news sites. Now just hope i don't get an e-mail with all the new stuff. :rolleyes:

dextertangocci
Jan 6, 2007, 02:37 AM
Good idea:)

But I'm too impatient, ill stick with MR live:) It will be even better with the photos:cool:

TheChillPill
Jan 6, 2007, 04:03 AM
I would love to do this, but I'm put off by the whole 'unusable stream' thing that is inevitable for the first day or so.

It's a shame Apple don't use the same tech used for their movie trailers - at least that way I can wait until it's half loaded before I start watching. That way it can be watched without any stutters or pauses.

Even better, a full download via bittorrent would be ideal - and no doubt save them a packet on bandwidth.

That said, am I correct in thinking that you can save the completed file with QT Pro? Perhaps someone could do that and make a torrent from it?

joeshell383
Jan 6, 2007, 04:18 AM
"And one more thing...all 5G ipods have a built in wireless chip which we activated about 5 seconds ago, so here's a recap for all those of you listening in..."

I wish :)

Squozen
Jan 6, 2007, 05:33 AM
Many thanks for this. I'll make sure to be extra busy at work to avoid finding out anything about it, and come home to a (hopefully) nicely-streaming keynote.

dextertangocci
Jan 6, 2007, 06:56 AM
Won't the ads on MR ruin it?

Ketsjap
Jan 6, 2007, 07:57 AM
Can't someone put the Keynote on Youtube? Then MR can link to it, and that way the people who are having problems connecting to the stream can also enjoy the show...

Does ne1 like to capture the stream and put it online? That'd be awesome!:cool:

Jay42
Jan 6, 2007, 08:26 AM
^^That would be excellent if someone could capture the stream.

arn

This was just what I was looking for, thanks arn. I like to get the full effect ;)

Digitalclips
Jan 6, 2007, 08:43 AM

arn

Great, thanks, count me one who likes Steve as 'Live' as I can get with nothing spoiling the excitement in advance. I hope one day Steve can get Disney to carry the even really live on one of its TV stations. Doesn't Steve have some pull there?;)

Swift
Jan 6, 2007, 09:15 AM
Sad to say, I think the Quicktime feeds were great, but even back when you were a tiny minority, you had to be lucky in getting on the Akamai bandwagon, and the stream was prone to big glitches. When Quicktime 7 (or was it 6?) came out, Steve wanted the HD treatment, and the audience got so big that the server charges would just be too large, and the whole operation questionable.

But I was at the Apple store when the G5 was announced, and it's that G5 that I got six months later. As for the excellent marketing idea of having the announced products available for sale, I think the perceived need for secrecy interferes too much with that. If they were shipping new Macs or iPods throughout the chain in the week before MacWorld, how long before some guy's cell phone takes a picture that ends up on, er, MacRumors?

:p

Swift
Jan 6, 2007, 09:23 AM

Well, there are some benefits to being in California where the event is happening. Fewer servers in the way, and the Akamai relays they put in must be awesomely fat in LA. But I think higher def overwhelmed the live feed entirely. Even Google couldn't pay for it.

:(

miggyb
Jan 6, 2007, 01:22 PM
Google Video + YouTube + Myspace + Apple's Servers = enough bandwidth?

If not, could someone put up a torrent? From what it sounds like, the torrent would download quicker than the quicktime stream. Especially once you start getting 100+ seeders.

The question is, how many hardcore mac users know how to forward their ports? I'm making a guess that the average point-and-click user isn't also the one to know the exact date of the yearly keynote. Isn't it more of a developer/advanced user thing?

virus1
Jan 6, 2007, 02:29 PM
the first day the keynote is SOOO slow on the apple server, and nobody has ever seemed to figure out how to download it normally (w/out stream), otherwise it would be all over bittorrent.

so my plan is to hold off ALL DAY and start the stream at like 1 or two in the morn (yes, it is a school night..) and hopefully it will be less bogged down then.

NOBODY COPY ME!!!!

Macnoviz
Jan 6, 2007, 03:41 PM
Could the Arn make sure we don't see advertisements for the new iPhone/iTV/MacWhatever/iStuff thingies when we reach this page?

Jan 6, 2007, 05:09 PM
Tks, MR...that's just what I wanted, after leaving work on Tuesday...NO SPOILERS!!! ;)

arn
Jan 6, 2007, 08:51 PM
Could the Arn make sure we don't see advertisements for the new iPhone/iTV/MacWhatever/iStuff thingies when we reach this page?

done.

just some generic apple ads there now.

arn

puckhead193
Jan 6, 2007, 09:13 PM
do you think apple is doing this because apple will release a limited edition product like only 200 of something

virus1
Jan 7, 2007, 10:05 AM
do you think apple is doing this because apple will release a limited edition product like only 200 of something

huh? apple is doing what?

Macula
Jan 7, 2007, 06:41 PM
Is it possible to download the entire keynote file (.avi) to my hard disk instead of viewing it streamed? Is it possible at all with Safari, or do I need Firefox and some extension/plugin?

Thanks.

apfhex
Jan 7, 2007, 07:00 PM
We're incorporating near-real time photos in this year's MacRumors coverage... so it shuold be pretty enjoyable.... barring any unforseen circumstances. :)
Sounds AWESOME. I usually follow MR plus one or two other popular news or blog sites. I think I recall last year Engadget or one of them has some photos online before the end of the keynote, which was nice.

Well, there are some benefits to being in California where the event is happening.
Still, when the keynote stream first goes online it can be very difficult to watch, probably even if you live in SF. I usually don't end up getting to see the whole thing until later in the afternoon.

Is it possible to download the entire keynote file (.avi) to my hard disk instead of viewing it streamed? Is it possible at all with Safari, or do I need Firefox and some extension/plugin?
No (and it's not an AVI, it's a H.264 encoded MOV). You're going to have to wait for someone to capture the stream and post it somewhere as a downloadable file.

Billy Boo Bob
Jan 7, 2007, 08:45 PM
No (and it's not an AVI, it's a H.264 encoded MOV). You're going to have to wait for someone to capture the stream and post it somewhere as a downloadable file.

That's where I wish they would change (or rather add to) that... Put up both a stream and a downloadable movie. Sorta like the movie trailers... 'cept longer.

That's the type of thing that a BitTorrent type of technology would help out with big time. So they only have to upload the full movie a few hundred times instead of several thousand. Let the others do the rest of the uploading.

katanna
Jan 7, 2007, 09:18 PM
lol, I get back from out of town for the weekend and my little post has exploded and my dream has been filed.

Thanks guys!!!

Matthew

slffl
Jan 7, 2007, 10:43 PM
So I just watched a bit of the Bill Gates keynote at CES. It was streaming live at 500k with no problems. Is this because there isn't as many people watching it? Or do they have more resources available to get the stream out there?

BTW, I had to laugh when they demoed FMV used as a wallpaper in Vista, and the crowd ooohed and awwed and clapped. :)

DavisCollins
Jan 8, 2007, 12:09 AM
BTW, I had to laugh when they demoed FMV used as a wallpaper in Vista, and the crowd ooohed and awwed and clapped. :)

yeah i watched it to. everything they "revealed" i was like yep. tiger has that. but when they started to talk about reverting to previous versions of files with "ShadowCopy" the wise-ass speaker said "Its even better than time travel" and a couple of people who got the joke giggled. what an ass.

and yeah i am deffinatly gonna put that link to use, because ill be at school. and when i get home im not gonna want to go straight to apple like i do everyday. (ill probly get one one of my teachers computers and look anyway)

mac17
Jan 8, 2007, 12:26 AM
BTW, I had to laugh when they demoed FMV used as a wallpaper in Vista, and the crowd ooohed and awwed and clapped. :)[/QUOTE]

is it possible to put fmv wallpaper on tiger? how?

puckhead193
Jan 8, 2007, 12:35 AM
huh? apple is doing what?

apple is updating their site live as it happens, correct? Do you think apple will release a limited edition ipod or imac or something else in a color like in black or red or something else?

whooleytoo
Jan 8, 2007, 09:17 AM
Just think, could WWDC 2007 be the first keynote we all watch on our big screen TVs, streaming over iTV?

I wonder, would it be possible to introduce an element of P2P technology to spread the load of live keynote broadcasts? Obviously, streaming isn't as suited to P2P as file downloads, but it still could help.

cbrain
Jan 8, 2007, 10:00 AM
There still might be a spoiler even you get a direct link!

If the iPhone is released, won't there be a new tab which you'll be likely to see on the MacWorld stream page on Apple's website, labeled, iPhone?

slffl
Jan 8, 2007, 10:32 AM

is it possible to put fmv wallpaper on tiger? how?[/QUOTE]

It looks like I was thinking of how you can use a screensaver as your wallpaper. Both Moving Desktop and Coolbackground. Serene Saver also uses FMV as wallpaper. So it's possible, but it's not built in quite yet.

whooleytoo
Jan 8, 2007, 10:54 AM

I'd be more impressed if Leopard used Core Video, and did translucent effects on your desktop (say, a picture of water, with an occasional ripple flowing across it. Or a picture of leave on a tree, which sway from side to side in the wind). Much less distracting than a video.

Willis
Jan 8, 2007, 11:08 AM
I believe with QT Pro, you can save files such as those. Actually... might try it now lol

mac17
Jan 8, 2007, 12:31 PM
I believe with QT Pro, you can save files such as those. Actually... might try it now lol

if it works let me know how.
thanks

Willis
Jan 8, 2007, 01:04 PM
well, its currently 'exporting' it... taking a while though.

whoooaaahhhh
Jan 8, 2007, 02:10 PM
When you spend the whole year waiting for the event you want the moment to be perfect.

What are we doing here...losing our virginity? Yeesh!

apfhex
Jan 8, 2007, 02:17 PM
So I just watched a bit of the Bill Gates keynote at CES. It was streaming live at 500k with no problems. Is this because there isn't as many people watching it?
Probably. :D BTW, you have a link to that? Edit: nvm I found it on MS's site. (http://www.microsoft.com/events/executives/billgates.mspx)

tvachon
Jan 8, 2007, 04:58 PM
Could it be possible to get an RSS just for this page? So we can instantly know when it is up?

gdew
Jan 8, 2007, 09:32 PM
Just to up the neurosis of this spoiler free page, I wonder if any leaks could be given on our visions periphery by the advertising?

Aperture
Jan 8, 2007, 09:35 PM
Just to up the neurosis of this spoiler free page, I wonder if any leaks could be given on our visions periphery by the advertising?

Thought of this.. but you shouldn't see a change in advertising within maybe 24 hours. Could be wrong but just a good guess.

cynerjist
Jan 8, 2007, 10:40 PM
Probably. :D BTW, you have a link to that? Edit: nvm I found it on MS's site. (http://www.microsoft.com/events/executives/billgates.mspx)

i couldn't get anything that's a windows media file to play. here is a link for people with that problem. it has all keynotes as .flv
http://media.digitaltrends.com/digitaltrends/ces_2007_-_keynote_part_1.html

cynerjist
Jan 8, 2007, 10:45 PM

What are we doing here...losing our virginity? Yeesh!

lmfao

BiikeMike
Jan 9, 2007, 12:03 AM
Sweet, somthing to check out post work, pre gym!

How long is the keynote speech anyway?

BWhaler
Jan 9, 2007, 12:58 AM
This is a great idea.

tvachon
Jan 9, 2007, 09:24 AM
Sweet, somthing to check out post work, pre gym!

How long is the keynote speech anyway?

2 hours this time around, which is significantly longer than most keynotes Steve does.

ipedro
Jan 9, 2007, 12:20 PM
Keynote Stream Available Live On Cnn Pipeline.

Sdashiki
Jan 9, 2007, 12:38 PM
Keynote Stream Available Live On Cnn Pipeline.

not free?

ipedro
Jan 9, 2007, 01:06 PM
nope not free. I happen to have a Pipeline subscription since I cancelled my cable tv in anticipation of AppleTV: subscribe to the shows I watch and use Pipeline for my live news tv needs.

Apple is becoming mainstream and everybody is watching. I bet next year we'll have more networks streaming the keynote live.

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 01:07 PM
not free?

boooooo hisssss....

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 01:10 PM
damn. wish I'd read that earlier!

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 01:10 PM
you tube it

Much Ado
Jan 9, 2007, 01:18 PM
This is getting unbearable now. It's all happened, and i don't know what! Such a test of our resolve and patience...

How much longer is the wait usually?

MA.

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 01:20 PM
The wait is actually killing me. This is the first time I've not followed on MR Live!

I bet they're getting a gazillion hits on that MWSF '07 site...

I'm giving them till 20.00GMT then I'm just gonna spoil the surprise...

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 01:22 PM
This is getting unbearable now. It's all happened, and i don't know what! Such a test of our resolve and patience...

How much longer is the wait usually?

MA.

Was this your idea? I'll kill ya :p

It's normally up pretty snappy. That being said I've normally got my head in all their new sites and stuff to keep me happy...

I accidentally just went on BBC News... spoilt one surprise for myself :(

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 01:26 PM
someone posted the whole thing on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDfRvcjBQlM

Much Ado
Jan 9, 2007, 01:30 PM
I accidentally just went on BBC News... spoilt one surprise for myself :(

Yeah, i don't think the internet is a safe place until after weve seen the QT vid ourselves.

Meanwhile, the whole world is going nuts about a 300Gb iPod with built in Sat-Nav and Intel Quad-Core processors and we're sitting here nervously going at the alcohol, refusing to be tempted.

I love every minute :D

MA.

Oh, and in reply to the guy who is going to give up at 8, please don't put spoilers on here if you do take a look. That would not make me happy after all this waiting! :)

Much Ado
Jan 9, 2007, 01:31 PM
someone posted the whole thing on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDfRvcjBQlM

And don't ever do that again! :eek: :D :mad:

avalys
Jan 9, 2007, 01:33 PM
Well, Apple stock is up 7%, so it must've been good, whatever it was.

Come on guys, post the stream!

motherduce
Jan 9, 2007, 01:33 PM

What was that link? I'm waiting patiently, but if YouTube has it...

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 01:34 PM
heh...

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 01:35 PM
Command + R are my new friends. Although I'm not sure they like me hitting them so much... :rolleyes:

Oh, and in reply to the guy who is going to give up at 8,
Yes?

please don't put spoilers on here if you do take a look. That would not make me happy after all this waiting! :)
You think I'd be that harsh?! I'm almost offended :P

I'm just trying this this time round... not sure I'll want to do it again. But maybe... depends how good the pay-off is in comparison. I have a feeling the stream will be horrendous to watch until tomorrow at the earliest... Which I can't wait for!

Donz0r
Jan 9, 2007, 01:37 PM

What? What did he do? I almost clicked the youtube link, then i figured I'd read others' reactions. Is it a spoiler!
Come OOON! Hurry up!

Everyone else who is waiting knows exactly how I feel, it takes so much self restrain to not look. I'm going to watch another House M.D. episode (I have the DVDs)
I recommend Watching TV to anyone who's trying to kill time lol.

tvachon
Jan 9, 2007, 01:38 PM
I was hoping when I got back from the gym it will be done. But alas, no.

Much Ado
Jan 9, 2007, 01:39 PM
You think I'd be that harsh?! I'm almost offended :P

Forgive me, i'm getting paranoid :)

puuukeey
I promise promise promise its not a spoiler.

tvachon
What? What did he do? I almost clicked the youtube link, then i figured I'd read others' reactions. Is it a spoiler!
Come OOON! Hurry up!

Everyone else who is waiting knows exactly how I feel, it takes so much self restrain to not look. I'm going to watch another House M.D. episode (I have the DVDs)
I recommend Watching TV to anyone who's trying to kill time lol.

Becareful what you watch. CNN said they would be talking about it for a time after the keynote finished.

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 01:42 PM
I was gonna say this thread feels like an AA meeting, but it's more like we're all waiting for our next dose of crack or something... :p

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 01:42 PM
so is arn gonna post in this thread or do I have to watch the actual story for the link?

Donz0r
Jan 9, 2007, 01:44 PM
I was gonna say this thread feels like an AA meeting, but it's more like we're all waiting for our next dose of crack or something... :p

Apple Keynotes, My Anti-Drug! :D

tvachon
I dont know if i can take it, what is the average wait after the keynote finishes? 2 hours?

psycoswimmer
Darn, I expected to come home from school and have it be there. :P I'm not going to be tempted to check any sites or do anything where there might be a spoiler. I think this will be a good time to practice piano & do homework. :)

Question: When did the keynote end? Was it 11 PM EST or PST? If it was PST, that would mean the keynote only ended 44 minutes ago (about). :eek:

Edit: MR is being really slow right now for me.

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 01:45 PM
so is arn gonna post in this thread or do I have to watch the actual story for the link?
I'm not chancing it. I've made my own* HTML to do it for me :P

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="60">
</head>
<body>
<FRAMESET>
<FRAME src="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf07/">
</FRAMESET>
</body>
</html>

It refreshes the supposed page every minute!

(*OK, I borrowed it from somewhere...)

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 01:48 PM
It refreshes the supposed page every minute!

NICE!!!

Much Ado
Jan 9, 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm not chancing it. I've made my own HTML to do it for me :P

Very nice, my friend. But if you will allow me to improve your idea:

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="2">
</head>
<body>
<FRAMESET>
<FRAME src="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf07/">
</FRAMESET>
</body>
</html>

That's better ;)

tvachon
Darn, I expected to come home from school and have it be there. :P I'm not going to be tempted to check any sites or do anything where there might be a spoiler. I think this will be a good time to practice piano & do homework. :)

Question: When did the keynote end? Was it 11 PM EST or PST? If it was PST, that would mean the keynote only ended 44 minutes ago (about). :eek:

Edit: MR is being really slow right now for me.

It ended 2:00pm EST

motherduce
I promise promise promise its not a spoiler.

Ahh, almost worse with the Gates keynote...ha.

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 01:51 PM
I've been know to be cruel:D

tvachon
Jan 9, 2007, 01:52 PM
Ahh, almost worse with the Gates keynote...ha.

I wouldnt trust any youtube link. Since youtube limits to 10 mins, you would need 12 links to cover the keynote

apfhex
Question: When did the keynote end? Was it 11 PM EST or PST?
If it were to end 11 PM EST, wow, what a long keynote! 11 hours! :D :p

If it had ended 11 AM EST, it would have ended an hour before it began. :D :p

It ended 11 AM PST, like usual.

hob
Very nice, my friend. But if you will allow me to improve your idea...

Ha-ha. Mine's actually set to 10, but I thought I'd extend it so I didn't single-handedly cause the site to crash!

Mr. DG
Jan 9, 2007, 01:57 PM
dont refresh the news story page. There's a news ticker above that says what apple have released.

slffl
Jan 9, 2007, 01:57 PM
Wow, so much for the spoiler free link. I just checked the page and saw WHAT THEY ANNOUNCED in some kind of news ticker!!!!!!!

Maybe next year.

psycoswimmer
Jan 9, 2007, 02:00 PM
Wow, so much for the spoiler free link. I just checked the page and saw WHAT THEY ANNOUNCED in some kind of news ticker!!!!!!!

Maybe next year.

:mad: I just refreshed before you said that and I saw that too. Ah, well. We don't know any details so the wait isn't completely lost.

tvachon
Jan 9, 2007, 02:01 PM
Well I know that the keynote is encoded and uploaded with 90% certianity by now, but they use Akamai for distrubuted large files. It takes a file about 45 minutes to populate across Akamai's servers globally. Apple won't post the link until that is done.

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 02:02 PM
Oh the irony. I sit and refresh this idiotic mac fanatic fan site 4 times a day so I can see what apple is going to release. Then I insist on being the last guy on the planet to know when they actually do something.

SHOOT ME

Much Ado
Jan 9, 2007, 02:03 PM
Ah... now what do I do?

I feel trapped in this one thread, such that if i stray but a step outside of it, then the whole world will devour me with news of Apple's new wonderproduct, (which i bet will be an anti-climax after all of this.)

*sigh*

I'm still in the dark over here.

MA.

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 02:04 PM
:mad: I just refreshed before you said that and I saw that too. Ah, well. We don't know any details so the wait isn't completely lost.
Still, that's pretty annoying... I'd only uncovered one of those two out of my own stupidity...

MBHockey
Jan 9, 2007, 02:08 PM
Stupid news ticker gave it away. That's busch league.:(

psycoswimmer
Jan 9, 2007, 02:08 PM
Still, that's pretty annoying... I'd only uncovered one of those two out of my own stupidity...

Yeah. Well, at least now I don't feel scared to refresh the page looking for the updated link. Is there anyone that can be contacted to take that off?

tvachon
Jan 9, 2007, 02:20 PM
Yeah. Well, at least now I don't feel scared to refresh the page looking for the updated link. Is there anyone that can be contacted to take that off?

I caught that this morning, used pithhelmet to hide it for now. But now of course, I cant find the regex which did it for all of you.

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 02:22 PM
I just PM'ed Arn

arn
Jan 9, 2007, 02:35 PM
sorry about the spoiler in the ticker guys

I'm sitting here trying to do updates... that one was a mistake on my part.

Really sorry. I removed it. we'll still post the link when it comes.

arn

tvachon
Jan 9, 2007, 02:38 PM

arn

Thanks Arn, the people who did see it gave warning to us all.

psycoswimmer
Jan 9, 2007, 02:44 PM

arn

Thanks Arn. Like I said, at least no details were revealed.

motherduce
Jan 9, 2007, 02:46 PM
Bleh - don't waste your time waiting or anything. Really, it's not worth it. I was excited, but it's all for nothing unless you want one of the two items that were listed in the ticker.

psycoswimmer
Jan 9, 2007, 02:58 PM
Okay. I don't know when the keynote will update but I'll do what I usually do. Now that I already know the products, I'll go to apple.com and check the site and then watch the keynote later to see them "in action". This is what I usually do, anyway.

Mr. DG
Jan 9, 2007, 03:00 PM
OK, i dont know if this is a problem, but the URL of the keynote itself happens to contain a spoiler. Could be an issue.

Donz0r
Jan 9, 2007, 03:00 PM
It's been 2 hours now, any predictions on how much longer? (I normally don't pay attention to the qt stream.)

Donz0r
Jan 9, 2007, 03:02 PM
OK, i dont know if this is a problem, but the URL of the keynote itself happens to contain a spoiler. Could be an issue.

Nothing a couple sheets of paper can't fix.;)
is there anyway for someone to copy the video to a different server? Exclusive to us MacRumorians? and post the link?

Donz0r
Jan 9, 2007, 03:05 PM
Man, I can't even check my own email.

Good thing I was squinting when I went to the page, I saw a vague picture of Steve Jobs, apple logo in background. With...well, I couldn't make it out, thank God, but even if I did I wouldn't post it here :o

dondiego87
Jan 9, 2007, 03:07 PM
I have to say, my heart was broken when I saw the spoiler in the ticker...

Next time, for safety's sake, just post a blank page that says "Here's where the link will be:" and put the link there once the movie's up. Other than that, totally blank.

Platform
Jan 9, 2007, 03:12 PM
Where is it...:o

C'mon Apple...put it up on your servers :cool:

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 03:19 PM
http://www.insideout-tees.com/sucktees/well_this_sucks.gif

tuartboy
Jan 9, 2007, 03:20 PM
There's a ticker? I've been using a custom style sheet for about 2 years now and I guess I don't even know what is on some sites. Probably a bunch of ads.

All I know is that I put up on all of my IM clients an away message that said don't spoil it for me and someone skyped me and ruined a little bit of it. I don't really care about that specific thing though, so it wasn't a big deal.

I just want to watch the keynote. A group of us took off work for the WWDC keynote and I'm off for this one too. I decided at about 8:55 PST that I would wait for the keynote later and I've been on errands since. Unless they are encoding it on a Pismo, it should be up soon...

Heh, a Pismo. That would rule.

Music-Man
Jan 9, 2007, 03:22 PM
Come on.
I dont think I can hold out much longer.
I'll give Apple til 8.30 Aussie time. ie another 10 mins.

varcos
Jan 9, 2007, 03:25 PM

Actually someone at Apple took the spoiler off the keynote URL page:

So, it's not here anymore:

But it is everywhere else on the site.

Very nice of them.

tuartboy
Jan 9, 2007, 03:27 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I just searched for something on google and saw it all.

NOOOOOOOOO! NO! NO! NO!

no

psychofreak
Jan 9, 2007, 03:29 PM
Actually someone at Apple took the spoiler off the keynote URL page:

So, it's not here anymore:

But it is everywhere else on the site.

Very nice of them.

Doesn't work...

MacBoobsPro
Jan 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
It usually appears between 10pm and 1030pm in the UK. You have (hopefully)at most an hours wait.

Enjoy!

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 03:32 PM
[snipped]

Music-Man
Jan 9, 2007, 03:33 PM
Arrrrrhhhhh!

Mum just rang me to see if I'd seen the new Apple *****!

She TOLD ME!

But at least I haven't seen it yet.

Come on. Where is this video? 5 more mins.

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 03:34 PM
I hope apple are giving a massive clue.

On here it says: http://www.apple.com/****/keynote/

9.41 on the ****.

21.41 GMT is in 9 minutes!

lol.. i think the 9:41 was for this morning at tge keynote!!! :p

apfhex
Jan 9, 2007, 03:36 PM
9.41 on the ****.
Nice theory there, but out here in California, Pacific Standard Time, that wouldn't make a bit of sense as the time for the posting of the keynote.

In fact 9:41am PST is nearly the exactly time during the keynote that Steve announced the ****.

Music-Man
Jan 9, 2007, 03:38 PM
Can we please stop mentioning the product please. This is supposed to be a spoiler free thread.

Thank you.

Donz0r
Jan 9, 2007, 03:40 PM
Nice theory there, but out here in California, Pacific Standard Time, that wouldn't make a bit of sense as the time for the posting of the keynote.

In fact 9:41am PST is nearly the exactly time during the keynote that Steve announced the ****.

...You suck.

Honestly, you and the other person that mentioned it suck.

Thanks for ruining this.

apfhex
Jan 9, 2007, 03:41 PM
...You suck.
:o At least I wasn't the first. :o I totally forgot. Quick, edit my quote in your post and no one else had to know. :)

Pardus
Jan 9, 2007, 03:42 PM
i peaked on the home page and there it reads 10:15am?

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 03:45 PM
I agree you guys blow. what the hell?

tuartboy
Jan 9, 2007, 03:46 PM
I would have put an image of a keynote on the compressor window, BUT GOOGLE IMAGES RETURNED RESULTS FOR THE STINKING MWSF 07 VIDEO AND RUINED THE SURPRISE! :mad: :mad: :mad:

leontes
Jan 9, 2007, 03:47 PM
I posted a story to digg (http://www.digg.com/apple/MacRumors_spoils_keynote_for_watchers_on_their_spoiler_free_page) regarding the spoiling issue. I think Arn was extremely responsive to the issue and avoiding these kinds of inadvertent spoiling is difficult to do in this day and age. My brother even txted me a spoiler. Is it possible to be completely unspoiled regarding something like this?

There is no spoiling information so far in the story, but I imagine most of us are avoiding digg like the plague.

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 03:59 PM
Sorry guys. After all that, I got a little lost in myself and made a stupid post.

Sorry sorry sorry!

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 04:00 PM
so is there ANYONE left unspoiled here?(other than me)

MikeDTyke
Jan 9, 2007, 04:00 PM
I'm really tee'd off now.

Have avoided all websites except this forum thread for the last 3 hours and haven't gone near my email neither, then some b'stard comes in and drops a fat giveaway URL without even obfuscating it and telling us its a spoiler.

I even managed to look at google finance to check the aapl share price without seeing any giveaway news articles.

I'm not going to look at any specs and hope there's another small surprise or two in the keynote.

Git's each and everyone who's posted the leak or commented on it thinking well someone else has already let the cat out of the bag.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

GFLPraxis
Jan 9, 2007, 04:03 PM
I'm ticked off too, I but luckily I only refreshed this page once or twice so all I know is that they announced one product, I've missed most of the details.

When's the dang video gonna be up?

I didn't see the ticker though. I'm ticked because of people IMing me.

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 04:04 PM
he said he was sorry... I trust him

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately, the keynote itself is on a product page for a new product, so before you watch it, you will know what the new product is.

It's still not up yet though...

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 04:10 PM
It was an accident. I'm really sorry. I have put in a tinyurl, for when the keynote goes up - I hope that's not what you mean. If you'll notice every mention has been censored.

I thought I explained - the tinyurl was so that people could click on it when the keynote finally goes up...

Samurai
Jan 9, 2007, 04:12 PM
Are we sure that Apple didn't post the Keynote on iTunes this year ?

hob
Jan 9, 2007, 04:14 PM
Sorry. I put my foot in it. Twice. Please accept my deepest apologies. I really didn't mean to ruin this for anyone. Sorry.

Snowy_River
Jan 9, 2007, 04:21 PM
How long does it usually take before they post the stream? I'm dying to watch it!

varcos
Jan 9, 2007, 04:22 PM
Actually, if you haven't had any spoilers yet, don't go to the any other page on the Apple site (there's a spoiler in the navigation bar), only do the straight to the mwsf07 link.

alexprice
Jan 9, 2007, 04:28 PM
How long does it usually take before they post the stream? I'm dying to watch it!

"Good things come to those who wait"

I won't give any info, but for those waiting to see it and don't know anything about whats been shown.... its all really cool.

Aniej
Jan 9, 2007, 04:37 PM
I posted a story to digg (http://www.digg.com/apple/MacRumors_spoils_keynote_for_watchers_on_their_spoiler_free_page) regarding the spoiling issue. I think Arn was extremely responsive to the issue and avoiding these kinds of inadvertent spoiling is difficult to do in this day and age. My brother even txted me a spoiler. Is it possible to be completely unspoiled regarding something like this?

There is no spoiling information so far in the story, but I imagine most of us are avoiding digg like the plague.

I mean that's great, but a bit of foresight would be better. I don't understand why a simple, non-postable page or thread could not be dedicated to just one simple link. That's the irritating point. Couple that with the people who posted spoilers on a thread dedicated to not spoiling the event for those of us who brought up the idea and were interested in it and it just kind of sucks to have people who have no concern for anyone else or the reasoning to stop for a second and ask should I really post what I am about to.

alexprice
Jan 9, 2007, 04:41 PM
Here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/

MattQiu
Jan 9, 2007, 04:41 PM
apple has posted the keynote, but the link doesn't work

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/

edit: it's working now

puuukeey
Jan 9, 2007, 04:42 PM
Nevermind

alexprice
Jan 9, 2007, 04:43 PM
It does now!

Try http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/ also

tuartboy
Jan 9, 2007, 04:44 PM
I, for one, am going to forget this keynote nonsense for a bit and go play a few rounds of counter strike. After a game or 2 and a nice dinner, I will come back and check, and by then it had better be up. OR I WILL UNLEASH THE F'N FURY!

hob
Nice one, cheers :)

nli10@mac.com
Here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/ has less spoiler - first post!

alexprice
Jan 9, 2007, 04:45 PM
You must all believe me. I'm watching it right now!

Daveway
Jan 9, 2007, 04:48 PM
Awesome Running smooth. We're the first in line so its smooth. Keynote coverage and iphone release.

THANK YOU!

skoker
Jan 9, 2007, 04:51 PM
Awesome Running smooth. We're the first in line so its smooth. Keynote coverage and ***removed**** release.

THANK YOU!

You must be either excited or ignorant, spoiler ;)

MacDonaldsd
Jan 9, 2007, 04:53 PM
http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/ has less spoiler - first post!

Don't no how you got that, but thank you !!!!!!!!!

EssentialParado
Jan 9, 2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for posting the link guys. Can't believe it isn't posted on the main macrumor page yet. But what I CANNOT believe is that Apple spoiled it themselves!! AR%GH.

Please, whoever adds the link to the event, DIRECT link to the event page, DO NOT go to /appleevents/

J Radical
Jan 9, 2007, 05:01 PM
Ha it won't play for me. The website is probably being hammered. Anyone having any luck?

tvachon
Jan 9, 2007, 05:01 PM
Had, then i had to pause. grrrr

tvachon
Jan 9, 2007, 05:03 PM
Had, then i had to pause. grrrr

Just wait, it will eventually play

jimthorn
Jan 9, 2007, 05:04 PM
Direct link to mov file anyone?

Nicolasdec
Jan 9, 2007, 05:05 PM
http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

jimthorn
Jan 9, 2007, 05:08 PM
No, I mean a link to the actual file, not the streaming version. Some people know how to figure that out. Then it can be watched without choppy streaming when millions of us are watching at the same time.

excalibur313
Does anyone have any idea why I wouldn't get sound when I play this file? The video comes in wonderfully...

Aniej
OK if anyone wants to make up for the spoiler incidents, I would appreciate someone pointing out a application that allows you to save quicktime and other forms of media by downloading it to our computers (aside from the obvious purchase to a quicktime pro). For example downloadhelper is normally great at this, but it is not kicking in for me in this situation. :confused:

Nicolasdec
mine just says connecting

Chris in SJ
Jan 9, 2007, 05:12 PM
Just wait, it will eventually play

Ummm.. just out of curiousity.. when you say 'eventually' do you mean 1 minute? 5 minutes? 30 minutes? 90 minutes?

I have been waiting here for 15 minutes and it's still not playing..

You'd think they would just not make it available until they could meet demand..

- C

Half Glass
Jan 9, 2007, 05:12 PM
The keynote has been posted

rtsp://a2047.v1412b.c1412.g.vq.akamaistream.net/5/2047/1412/1_h264_350/1a1a1ae555c531960166df4dbc3095c327960d7be756b71b49aa1576e344addb3ead1a497aaedf11/8848125_1_350.mov

Pyrix
Jan 9, 2007, 05:17 PM
All I get is

'Due to exceptional demand, your request could not be completed at this time.

Please try again at a later time.'

jimthorn
Jan 9, 2007, 05:19 PM
You can't download a file via rtsp protocol (as far as I know). Only stream.

katanna
Jan 9, 2007, 05:20 PM
Use this link:
Link (rtsp://a2047.v1413b.c1413.g.vq.akamaistream.net/5/2047/1413/1_h264_110/1a1a1ae656c632970267e04ebd3196c428970e7ce857b81c4aab1677e445aedc3fae1b4a7bafe013/8848125_1_110.mov)

Full Link:
rtsp://a2047.v1413b.c1413.g.vq.akamaistream.net/5/2047/1413/1_h264_110/1a1a1ae656c632970267e04ebd3196c428970e7ce857b81c4aab1677e445aedc3fae1b4a7bafe013/8848125_1_110.mov

Using the website I couldn't get in, but the link let me in...

To bad I saw the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT before watching... oh well, hopefully there will be more announcements.

Matthew

AndrewMT
Jan 9, 2007, 05:21 PM
:mad: I can't believe I was able to hold on this long and all I get for my patience is:

"Due to exceptional demand, your request could not be completed at this time.
Please try again at a later time."

I hope somebody can upload a saved stream of the keynote to youtube or something.

Nicolasdec
Jan 9, 2007, 05:29 PM
i was whatching it and it ****ed up in the middle

Willis
Jan 9, 2007, 05:30 PM
god damn... got to 35 mins... then it stopped. tried to re-open it, failed due to high demand.

ah well, its 23:30 anyway, and I have an exam in the morning, better go do some last minute revision.

swarmster
Jan 9, 2007, 05:33 PM
Everyone please be careful opening Quicktime (to do an "open url..." as MacRumors recommends)! If you have it set to load the 'content guide' on startup, there's a spoiler image waiting for you.

(Yeah, I know, I should have disabled it a long time ago.)

Nicolasdec
Jan 9, 2007, 05:33 PM
same hear

nli10@mac.com
Jan 9, 2007, 06:24 PM
i'm 1:40 in - only one glistch and it ironed itself out.

Full Screen QT FTW :)

& I love all the stuff so far. :D

------

Just finished - felt shorter than the 1:56 running time. Glad I waited for video - as we all knew it makes everything much clearer. Keep trying on those links if you can't get it - as Europe sleeps they will onloy get faster - night!

katanna
Jan 9, 2007, 06:34 PM
wow, I am surprised... it timed out after 2.5 minutes, but since it has been running for over an hour now... yea!

Added: had a glitch at 1:14, but it fixed quick enough.

Matthew

J Radical
Jan 9, 2007, 06:37 PM
Still won't play for me, but I found the iPhone intro video on cnet

http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6148749.html?tag=ne.video.6148749

Ironically it's sponsored by blackberry :)

backsidetailsli
Jan 9, 2007, 06:44 PM
im still not getting it!

psycoswimmer
Jan 9, 2007, 07:13 PM
Just finished watch the keynote. It did seem shorter than (about) 2 hours. I read about the products and everything at apple.com before, but wow, watching the keynote makes a big difference. You get to really see everything in action, and you'll learn more than you will on apple's site.