PDA

View Full Version : ibook lid doesn't close tightly

QCassidy352
May 10, 2003, 01:38 PM
This is on a new 14" 900 mhz ibook. I never really noticed until last night. When the ibook is shut, the lid clicks closed, but there is still a little gap; the lid is not flush up against the base. When I press on the lid, it gives a little bit (until it is flush) and then rebounds to it's former state when I release it.

If I carry it around under one arm I can hear a soft clicking sound from the lid moving.

I assume this is a defect and not intened; my old ibook 12" never did this. So the question is, what can be done about it? Is the only option repair? I don't really want to part with my baby for a few days for such a minor issue, but it is annoying. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

artificiallife
May 10, 2003, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure that you can call this a defect. Mine and all other iBooks I have seen have this problem.

veedubdrew
May 10, 2003, 02:15 PM
My 600 MHz iBook does this. My old Gateway laptop did this too. I don't consider it a defect, just a variation of manufacture.

QCassidy352
May 10, 2003, 03:18 PM
hmm, how interesting that it's a common issue. It's just considered normal?

dabirdwell
May 10, 2003, 03:48 PM
I sent my 12" PowerBook back for a more extreme version of this problem. A bent aluminum lid sucks.

LimeLite
May 10, 2003, 03:51 PM
I think the reason they created the latch was so that it wouldn't just fly open, not so that it would keep it closed with a vise-like grip.