PDA

View Full Version : 2 iPods - 1 Computer?

wimic
Jan 5, 2007, 12:39 PM
This is actually a question that a colleague of mine had. He has two daughters that each got a new iPod for Christmas. They have different musical preferences and would like to have different librarys on their iPods. Is there any way of doing this besides modifying your iTunes Library every time they want to update THEIR iPod??

Thanks!

BydoEmpire
Jan 5, 2007, 01:09 PM
I'd like to know as well, as I want to get my wife an ipod. We really don't want to set up two unique users. Thanks!

WildCowboy
Jan 5, 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm a lowly sole iPod shuffle user, but can't you set up a master playlist for each person and then tell your iPods to use those playlists for the respective syncings?

I'm not sure if there's anyway to handle playlists within one of those playlists.

OllyW
Jan 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
I'm a lowly sole iPod shuffle user, but can't you set up a master playlist for each person and then tell your iPods to use those playlists for the respective syncings?

I'm not sure if there's anyway to handle playlists within one of those playlists.

You don't have to sync to only one master playlist for each user, you can sync with multiple playlists is you wish.

mckvakk
Jan 5, 2007, 01:23 PM
If the iPods got room, just sync all the music and have them create their own playlists:)

WildCowboy
Jan 5, 2007, 01:24 PM
You don't have to sync to only one master playlist for each user, you can sync with multiple playlists is you wish.

Well there we go...looks like it's very doable! :)

Thanks for the assist! ;)

robPOD
Jan 5, 2007, 03:10 PM
just enable manually manage music

IcoN512
Jan 6, 2007, 05:11 PM
just enable manually manage music

exactly, you can have one large library of songs and have them select which songs they would like to put on THEIR OWN ipods

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 6, 2007, 05:14 PM
I think I've posted this link about 20 times here at MR over the years:

How to use multiple iPods with one computer (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300432)

combatcolin
Feb 13, 2007, 09:05 AM
GF wants a Nano, i have a 40GB G3.

Running Windows XP, would we be able to both use my main iTunes library?

Sorry if its the same bloody question that's been asked by everyone!

~Kat~
Feb 25, 2007, 10:43 AM
I think I've posted this link about 20 times here at MR over the years:[/SIZE][/URL]
I've been to that link several times. Call me paranoid but if I connect my mother's shuffle to my iMac but using HER new user account, nothing will interfere with my iTunes library or my iPod, correct?

BigPrince
Feb 25, 2007, 10:53 AM
I don't know how everyone else manages their music but I use something called playlists to organize my music.

I happen to have 2 iPods. Basically I chose not to syn all music in library and instead choose "manually" what I want.

Its very simple to click the checkmark to tell the iPod I want this playlist. Then from that point on, it only syncs those playlists and I can change it at anytime.

Also, if both iPods happen to want sync to the same playlist, iTunes has no problems with that.

From that point on its "automatic."

Cult Follower
Feb 25, 2007, 02:45 PM
I don't know if someone already said this but you could create folders in itunes containing playlists for each person, and set it to only sync their playlists.