PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Shutters U.S. Music Subscription Service

MacBytes
Jan 5, 2007, 09:50 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Virgin Shutters U.S. Music Subscription Service (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070105225019)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Sayer
Jan 5, 2007, 10:03 PM
People do not want to rent their music. Why is this so hard to understand for the suits?

And guess what, all those "customers" are now screwed because their entire rented library will suddenly go away...

A free MP3 player as a parting gift? For all the music that will stop working? Even the Microsoft Zune won't work with PlaysForSure.

Just like cell phone companies who see nothing but recurring fees from their subscribers (text messaging, n-minutes, peak time et al) so do the music subscription advocates.

mkrishnan
Jan 5, 2007, 10:13 PM
If a tree falls in the middle of the forest, and no one is around to hear it... :rolleyes:™

cwt1nospam
Jan 7, 2007, 08:58 AM
People do not want to rent their music. Why is this so hard to understand for the suits?
You've answered your own question:
Just like cell phone companies who see nothing but recurring fees from their subscribers (text messaging, n-minutes, peak time et al) so do the music subscription advocates.
The promise of easy money has these guys beating a dead horse. They think that if they beat it hard enough they'll be able to sucker people into endless payments. You can't really blame them though. Look at the success of "Payday" loan scammers er, I mean companies.

shamino
Jan 7, 2007, 01:33 PM
They forget that with a cell phone, you are not repeatedly paying for the phone, but for the network. If that network fails, phones stop working - not because of corporate greed, but because that's the nature of a phone. You only pay once for the phone (which may be discounted in exchange for a subscription commitment, but you can also buy them without any such commitment.) You pay your subscription, not for the phone, but for access to the network, without which the phone would become a simple PDA with a lousy user interface.

A music player service is completely different. The network is only used to download the songs. After a song is downloaded, you consume zero corporate resources, whether you never play the song or play it continuously. So there is no logic for continuous payments.

(Actually, you do consume a small amount of corporate resources, in order to validate your subscription. But that's circular logic and doesn't count. It makes no sense to say "the only reason you need to keep paying is because it costs money to process your payments". But I'm sure marketing departments have no problem with this "logic".)

Blue Velvet
Jan 7, 2007, 01:44 PM
And guess what, all those "customers" are now screwed because their entire rented library will suddenly go away...

I'm by no means an advocate for subscription services, but some of those who have posted here would say that there is no loss. You just continue a subscription elsewhere.

Kinda like saying if the local DVD rental store stopped trading; you lose nothing 'cos you never owned it in the first place.

It's not a model that appeals to me, but I just thought I'd throw this into the mix.

shamino
Jan 8, 2007, 09:26 AM
I'm by no means an advocate for subscription services, but some of those who have posted here would say that there is no loss. You just continue a subscription elsewhere.

Kinda like saying if the local DVD rental store stopped trading; you lose nothing 'cos you never owned it in the first place.
Sort of, but it's not quite the same thing. This case is much more aggravating.

If a DVD rental place closes up shop, it's not big deal. You just can't rent anymore. You were never in possession of more than a small number of titles, and you never expected to have them for very long anyway, so you don't experience much pain.

When a download-subscription site shuts down, you have to re-download all your songs from the new service. This may be dozens of gigabytes, and may take several weeks to locate and download them all. You were in possession of thousands of songs, and you did expect to have them for a very long time. This can be very painful.

And this doesn't count the inconvenience of having a service possibly shut down at a time where you can't easily get a new subscription (like the day before you're throwing a party, and find that the computer providing the entertainment can't play anything.)