PDA

View Full Version : Story of a crash, currently burning.

Wardofsky
May 10, 2003, 08:54 PM
Backup.

One word that you need to apply to important documents.

I have an 80Gb and a small "travel" style 20Gb that can be taken anywhere.
So one day I notice that the 20Gb is not on so I flick the switch and wait for a few minutes, a few ticks and a spinning hard-drive noises emmited from the drive.

Then a screen that you want to avoid comes up, "The drive that you attempted to mont has not been formatted, you can either format it (and lose all work) or ignore it.

Well, I'm a bit ignorant so I ignored it and flicked the switch off then on again with the same results.

After doing this five times I begin to feel a bit worried, my stuff is trapped in a shell the has slammed itself shut.

I start up in OS 9 and try my luck another five times with the same results, only difference is that a grey clunky box is telling me the bad news.

I start up in OS X again and run disk utility on the sick drive with hope of analysing the symptoms, something about file overflow (I'm an average consumer that is only 14 yrs old, I don't know what the hell that means), I try to repair and nothing happens.

Now it is off to the techs with the hope of a nation.

It's OK if I lose it all, only Music, image scans, a few movies and school work from last year.

I shall keep ye posted on the developments.

bennetsaysargh
May 10, 2003, 10:01 PM
that happened to me once with my slot loading iMac's HD. i used norton utilities in OS9 and it worked fine.

rainman::|:|
May 11, 2003, 12:48 AM
i believe your drive has suffered common mechanical failure.

one method that supposedly works on this sort of thing is putting it in the freezer for a while, (take it out) then copy everything off of it really quickly-- the drive will be totally dead after, but you'll have a small window where the parts are working properly again...

so i've read anyway... can anyone post any more info about this?

pnw

Wardofsky
May 11, 2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
i believe your drive has suffered common mechanical failure.

one method that supposedly works on this sort of thing is putting it in the freezer for a while, (take it out) then copy everything off of it really quickly-- the drive will be totally dead after, but you'll have a small window where the parts are working properly again...

so i've read anyway... can anyone post any more info about this?

pnw

Hmm, icicle drive, well I may not not do that currently but it should be going to the techs tomorrow, must ask what/how they are going to do.

bennetsaysargh
May 11, 2003, 08:13 AM
the thing that's wrong with it is the directory is messed up. fix it with norton or something like norton, and you'll be fine.

celaurie
May 11, 2003, 09:04 AM
So, what's the prognosis?

Are we talking mechanical or software?

Wardofsky
May 11, 2003, 06:36 PM
Well, it's at the techs now so I'll know by tonight.

MacBandit
May 11, 2003, 06:41 PM
Try using disk-utility to reinstall the disk drivers. You might have to do this more then once to get it to work.

FuzzyBallz
May 11, 2003, 07:08 PM
If the tech saves your HD, try backing up your data on CDRWs on weekly basis next time.

Wardofsky
May 13, 2003, 04:38 AM
Yes, it has been saved and is currently huming away on top of the other drives.

It has however lost it's icon and name, but overall it is whats inside that counts.

I dunno what they used but I'll ask later.

cb911
May 13, 2003, 05:05 AM
i doubt that they'll tell you what they did, wouldn't that be like a trade secret? worth a try anyway.

bennetsaysargh
May 13, 2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Wardofsky
Yes, it has been saved and is currently huming away on top of the other drives.

It has however lost it's icon and name, but overall it is whats inside that counts.

I dunno what they used but I'll ask later.

the greed of corperate america will not tell you what they did to fix it because it would make you not come back if it or something like it happened again.

bokdol
May 13, 2003, 11:54 AM
something they might not have told you is the problem well come back again. unless the put in a new drive. failures like that (especially if you hear clicking noises) tend to come back but cause compleate loss of data. and recently nortons have been horrible in repairing problems. i am currently looking into a different program because nortons just does not cut it.... well at least you got your stuff back which is good

yzedf
May 13, 2003, 12:22 PM
If a hdd has physical problem, then software won't fix it. A filesystem problem, yes it can fix that.

And it's not the "greed of corporate america" but rather good business sense. :rolleyes:

MacBandit
May 13, 2003, 02:38 PM
It was most likely a corrupt driver or a bad partition file. In either case it is an easy fix. Though I still recommend backing up regularly especially if this has happened to you. If it happened once it could always happen again.

Wardofsky
May 13, 2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by cb911
i doubt that they'll tell you what they did, wouldn't that be like a trade secret? worth a try anyway.

Actually, the techs just recomended to use disk warrior to my Dad who works with them, it fixed it.

Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
the greed of corperate america will not tell you what they did to fix it because it would make you not come back if it or something like it happened again.

That's why I'm glad to be an Australian...
:D

void
May 14, 2003, 05:43 PM
Yeah DiskWarrior has saved my ass more times than i can count on my fingers and toes...And I was born with an extra toe too!!!(j/k)You should try plusoptimizer, which is also on the diskwarrior cd. It made my comp twice as fast...!!!
-void
(I'm tryin out my new pic sig)

MacBandit
May 14, 2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by void
Yeah DiskWarrior has saved my ass more times than i can count on my fingers and toes...And I was born with an extra toe too!!!(j/k)You should try plusoptimizer, which is also on the diskwarrior cd. It made my comp twice as fast...!!!
-void
(I'm tryin out my new pic sig)

Hmm could you make the pic a bit smaller. It's going to take up a lot of space.

Yeah for basic Disk repairs it's hard to be DiskWarrior. So they're coming out with a new OSX native version but it will not include PlustOptimizer what's up with that?

mactastic
May 15, 2003, 03:28 PM
Disk Warrior works great for me, I bought a copy after my hard drive became unavailable on startup. Freaked me out, but the techs ran DW on it, and it worked just fine, no data loss. Now i rebuild my directory every week or so, and have had no problems since.

celaurie
May 15, 2003, 09:44 PM
For me DiskWarrior fell into the spot that Norton never quite hit... It works well and with minimal fuss.

MacBandit
May 16, 2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by celaurie
For me DiskWarrior fell into the spot that Nrton never quite hit... It works well and with minimal fuss.

Well I don't find that hard to believe since all that Norton does in X is find the wound and then poor copious amounts of salt in it. Then if that doesn't do the trick it installs all sorts of insidious programs all over the place to help promote the deterioration of the system.

celaurie
May 16, 2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Well I don't find that hard to believe since all that Norton does in X is find the wound and then poor copious amounts of salt in it. Then if that doesn't do the trick it installs all sorts of insidious programs all over the place to help promote the deterioration of the system.

That's certainly an interesting view point.

Wardofsky
May 16, 2003, 09:30 PM
Every disk repair app into its own...