PDA

View Full Version : AHH! Just deleted 8729 songs!

G5Unit
Jan 6, 2007, 01:53 AM
:eek: :confused: :) Can I get them back? I did it about 20 mins ago!

mad jew
Jan 6, 2007, 02:02 AM
Deleted from where? If you deleted them from your mac then get a copy of Data Rescue II (http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php). Turn your machine off straight away though, because otherwise OSX will overwrite the deleted sections of the hard drive and you'll never get them back. Data Rescue II has a demo that will be able to show you if your data is retrievable. Good luck. :)

EricNau
Jan 6, 2007, 02:03 AM
Well, that wasn't very clever.

...I'll be the first to ask: How did you manage to accidentally delete over 8,000 songs? :confused:

This will sound stupid, but did you check your trash?

I'll also be the first to ask, "you do have a backup, right?"

G5Unit
Jan 6, 2007, 02:11 AM
Well, that wasn't very clever.

...I'll be the first to ask: How did you manage to accidentally delete over 8,000 songs? :confused:

This will sound stupid, but did you check your trash?

I thought that I had them on there twice, yet I didn't, so I deleted all of them.)=

phungy
Jan 6, 2007, 02:15 AM
This is where Time Machine comes in handy.

G5Unit
Jan 6, 2007, 02:19 AM
This is where Time Machine comes in handy.

If only my stupidity could have held off for MacWorld.

phungy
Jan 6, 2007, 02:20 AM
If only my stupidity could have held off for MacWorld.

You're not alone. I've done it before...not as much as 8000+ songs though :D

Quboid
Jan 6, 2007, 02:21 AM
this experience alone would market time machine if it gets to right ears.

EricNau
Jan 6, 2007, 02:24 AM
I thought that I had them on there twice, yet I didn't, so I deleted all of them.)=
Oh, I was assuming you hit Cmd+A in iTunes, then accidentally pressed the delete button, and then accidentally confirmed that action, which would just send those files to the trash.

...But I guess since you accidentally delete 8,000 songs on purpose, you delete them from the trash also. :(

mad jew
Jan 6, 2007, 02:35 AM
So, has Data Rescue II found your files? If you haven't got it yet, then stop posting here and shut the machine down before the virtual RAM eats your tunes. :)

G5Unit
Jan 6, 2007, 02:38 AM
So, has Data Rescue II found your files? If you haven't got it yet, then stop posting here and shut the machine down before the virtual RAM eats your tunes. :)

It's still searching 3 more hours.

mad jew
Jan 6, 2007, 02:40 AM
Ahh, okay, cool. You had me a bit worried. :D

G5Unit
Jan 6, 2007, 02:41 AM
Ahh, okay, cool. You had me a bit worried. :D

But during that 3 hours will I loose everything?

mad jew
Jan 6, 2007, 02:42 AM
Just leave the machine alone. Hopefully you'll at least get the majority back.

G5Unit
Jan 6, 2007, 02:46 AM
Just leave the machine alone. Hopefully you'll at least get the majority back.

I just realized I'm 15 and even though I have enough money to buy this for $99, I never would. With the trial it only allows 5mb!

mad jew
Jan 6, 2007, 02:50 AM
Sorry mate, but data recovery's just not that cheap. :(

CanadaRAM
Jan 6, 2007, 02:54 AM
I just realized I'm 15 and even though I have enough money to buy this for $99, I never would. With the trial it only allows 5mb!

How much would you pay someone to re-rip 8000 songs for you from your CDs?

phungy
Jan 6, 2007, 02:55 AM

The trial only recovers 5MBs? -sighs- :rolleyes:

G5Unit
Jan 6, 2007, 02:58 AM
How much would you pay someone to re-rip 8000 songs for you from your CDs?

Probably about that, then again, I only listened to about 500 of them.

CanadaRAM
Jan 6, 2007, 03:02 AM
Probably about that, then again, I only listened to about 500 of them.

A different perspective then. Buy the software, then charge other careless people money to recover THEIR Mac data. Could be a lucrative sideline...

Brayden87
Jan 6, 2007, 05:33 AM
Why the hell doesn't itunes have a undo :confused: :confused:

joshysquashy
Jan 6, 2007, 06:00 AM
Didn't you backup your computer at some point? I backup my entire computer to an external hard drive every few weeks using SuperDuper!

Hard drives fail, so even if you don't mess up, you still risk loosing everything. Please everyone backup your computers, Time Machine should change all this.

dukebound85
Jan 6, 2007, 06:04 AM
you by chance have any of the songs on say an ipod? if you do use senuti to get them back

eRondeau
Jan 6, 2007, 08:50 AM
Didn't you backup your computer at some point? I backup my entire computer to an external hard drive every few weeks using SuperDuper! Hard drives fail, so even if you don't mess up, you still risk loosing everything. Please everyone backup your computers, Time Machine should change all this.

Wiser words have never been spoken! My iTunes library is around the 7,000 song mark -- virtually all with album cover art, many with lyrics -- and it represents a time investment of several hundred hours. Consequently I fairly obsess about backing it up. It is backed-up weekly on my 40GB iPod and monthly on my 160GB Lacie FW HD. Plus I maintain two sets of DVD-R backups of the entire library, one set stored at my parent's house just in case my place burns down. FYI, I have a Smart Playlist called "New Since Last DVD" that fills itself up with everything added since the date of the last DVD-R backup... when it approaches 4.7GB I burn that playlist to DVD and reset the date. I am likewise fanatical about backing-up my iPhoto library, as it contains many family photos that are irreplacable. Kudos to Apple, again, for making automated incremental backups so easy and intuitive with Time Machine!

PS -- I'm not sure there is a bright side to what you did, but maybe if you DO have to re-rip all your CD's, you might want to consider going ALE or at least high-bitrate AAC.....

displaced
Jan 6, 2007, 08:59 AM
Didn't you backup your computer at some point? I backup my entire computer to an external hard drive every few weeks using SuperDuper!

Hard drives fail, so even if you don't mess up, you still risk loosing everything. Please everyone backup your computers, Time Machine should change all this.

Nice reminder :D

*takes MBP upstairs*
*plugs in Firewire hard disk*
*runs SuperDuper*
*returns to kitchen, makes a coffee*

eRondeau
Jan 6, 2007, 09:02 AM
Just thinking.... I was in Best Buy yesterday and they had external USB2 HD's ridiculously cheap, something like 80GB for $79 and 250GB for $129. And those are Canadian prices! That about what I spend on gasoline in 3-4 days! At that price, buy one and backup your entire computer and give it to a friend for safe-keeping. Seriously. Nobody likes to think about it, but houses do burn down, and lightning does strike power lines and blow-up everything that's plugged-in, and thieves do break-in and steal computers and all the peripherals attached to them. There's nothing like an off-site backup for safety!

Keebler
Jan 6, 2007, 10:12 AM
it's no problem G5. just connect your external hard drive or insert your back up DVDs and retrieve your backup. not a problem. :rolleyes:

if you have an ipod with the songs on it, there is software for you to take them from the pod back to your computer...

G5Unit
Jan 6, 2007, 12:48 PM
Um. Well I guess I have a more interesting story. About a month ago, I had brought my 1st gen, 5gb, in very good condition, over 4 and a half years old iPod to school. It was in my backpack and I threw my backpack. I came back later to find that the screen broke. Yet it did still play music. YAY! I showed my(sorta of duma$$) friend and he said "Oh that sucks" and dropped it on purpose, him thinking it was already broken. I didn't punch him or anything because I've already done that a few times before and I was just over it. But still I had the thing since the start of 5th grade(Now I'm in the middle of 9th). So there goes about 700 songs, not to bad I already have them on my computer. Oh and by the way, that same kid almost broke it in 7th grade and I knew form that day on he would be the one to fully break it.

Now him dropping that iPod made the hard drive go all funky, after all he dropped it from 4 feet onto cement, hey but still not a single scratch, this thing has been a tank. Now the iPod still mounts yet it is very unreliable and the screen is a blue blotch.

No now yesterday, me being the OCD person I am, I need to clean out my 300gb internal drive, and I did. So I clicked and dragged a folder called MUSIC to the trash, thinking it wasn't much since I haven't really used this drive much. Now it took FOREVER to delete and I didn't know why. Then I realized me iTunes had stopped playing.

Then I saw it, the horrible ! of doom. Turns out I just deleted my whole iTunes library! AHH! I new that I had some songs backed up somewhere, but oops, that external HD is in my sister's dorm in college, and that's only about 2000 of them, and the old ones. But hey, my dad has one and I must have backed up some there, right? Wrong, he has a PC and it's been formatted to his PC, not working with my mac.

So the only songs I have are the 180 good ones on my Palm Treo(which my dad never used and let me have), some U2, Pink Floyd, and some really old never listened to music. I'm bummed. It took me 5 YEARS to build this collection up, album art, lyrics and everything.

And this was all at 12 o clock at night...

Oh and I have a 300gb WD external coming in the mail that I ordered about 4 days ago, IF ONLY IT HAD COME FASTER!

Shadow
Jan 6, 2007, 01:11 PM
Um.[The rest of this post has been helpfully snipped]

Ouch...I remember once when iTunes did something with my PC and deleted all my songs when I got my first iPod (3G, 15GB). Took me weeks to recover everything. Now, I keep 2 backups on my iPod (1 for playing, 1 for storage), on my PC which I made into a NAS AND on my external HD (3 times). I sure wouldn't want to loose everything *knocks on wood* (again)!

Mac'Mo
Jan 6, 2007, 01:29 PM
whoa thats serious.. maybe you didn't dlete them

Zwhaler
Jan 6, 2007, 01:30 PM
Sorry about the situation, I lost lots of stuff off of my PC (though it was from a virus) but I know how it feels. Just hope there is a program out there that will save your songs.

dextertangocci
Jan 6, 2007, 02:08 PM
Over 8000 songs. Ouch:( I think you should get a data reovery program. Just borrow the money or something. Like you said, it took you 5 years to build your collection. $99 is worth it to get it all back, unless OSX has already written over them:o

blaster_boy
Jan 6, 2007, 03:38 PM
I rip a lot of cd's I bought to iTunes, and those I can always recuperate, so I don't worry too much about them.

Once a year or so, I launch a backup from Itunes (just do File, Backup to Disk) and insert a dvd-r or two.

And then whenever I purchase a full album, I burn it immediately as a music cd (for in the car).

That should be reasonably safe, as I also do a full backup of my home directory once or twice a year...

EricNau
Jan 6, 2007, 04:49 PM
Surely you still have the original CDs?

dukebound85
Jan 6, 2007, 05:28 PM
yea i wouldnt be too worried if you still had the cd's. just an inconvience at the moment. Just start to re-rip them and id really only do the songs you actually listen to to save hd space.

now if you by chance pirated some/most/all the songs, then yea id say its karma kicking in lol

G5Unit
Jan 6, 2007, 08:35 PM
yea i wouldnt be too worried if you still had the cd's. just an inconvience at the moment. Just start to re-rip them and id really only do the songs you actually listen to to save hd space.

now if you by chance pirated some/most/all the songs, then yea id say its karma kicking in lol

About 1000 of them are from CD's, 50 from itunes, and a couple hundred from when I thought Kazaa was legal(5 or 6 years ago), about 200 over the past 3 years through limewire, and the rest from my friend(around 6000).

Wow it really feels great admitting that, I really think it's just karma. Let's just hope I won't get banned for this now.

EricNau
Jan 6, 2007, 08:45 PM
About 1000 of them are from CD's, 50 from itunes, and a couple hundred from when I thought Kazaa was legal(5 or 6 years ago), about 200 over the past 3 years through limewire, and the rest from my friend(around 6000).

Wow it really feels great admitting that, I really think it's just karma. Let's just hope I won't get banned for this now.
What a coincidence, your location, "I'm calling the cops", describes what I'm doing right now. ...OK, just kidding.

If I were you, I would re-import your CDs and contact iTunes and request to re-download your songs using this form (http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/musicstore/lostmusic/#form) (although no guarantees).

As for your songs downloaded from kazaa, limewire, and "borrowed" from your friend, I'd stay away from them. After all, karma can get a lot worse. ;)

StokeLee
Jan 6, 2007, 09:19 PM
After reading this thread Ive decided that even if it doesnt happen to me, I might as well be safe than sorry. Ive just ordered a new 500Gb hard drive, but i think i should put my itunes onto dvd just incase...

G5Unit
Jan 6, 2007, 09:24 PM
What a coincidence, your location, "I'm calling the cops", describes what I'm doing right now. ...OK, just kidding.

If I were you, I would re-import your CDs and contact iTunes and request to re-download your songs using this form (http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/musicstore/lostmusic/#form) (although no guarantees).

As for your songs downloaded from kazaa, limewire, and "borrowed" from your friend, I'd stay away from them. After all, karma can get a lot worse. ;)

Yeh, well the songs are on a CD somewhere, the ones I downloaded from ITS. I think as long as I listen to only about 500 of the songs my next library will be much smaller.

yg17
Jan 6, 2007, 09:35 PM
Dumb question, but did you check the trash or your music folder?

iTunes either moves tracks to your trash, or leaves them where they were (depending on your settings) when you delete stuff. I don't think there's a setting to make them completely delete them :\