Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Deleted from where? If you deleted them from your mac then get a copy of Data Rescue II. Turn your machine off straight away though, because otherwise OSX will overwrite the deleted sections of the hard drive and you'll never get them back. Data Rescue II has a demo that will be able to show you if your data is retrievable. Good luck. :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Well, that wasn't very clever.

...I'll be the first to ask: How did you manage to accidentally delete over 8,000 songs? :confused:

This will sound stupid, but did you check your trash?

I'll also be the first to ask, "you do have a backup, right?"

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
Well, that wasn't very clever.

...I'll be the first to ask: How did you manage to accidentally delete over 8,000 songs? :confused:

This will sound stupid, but did you check your trash?

I thought that I had them on there twice, yet I didn't, so I deleted all of them.)=

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I thought that I had them on there twice, yet I didn't, so I deleted all of them.)=
Oh, I was assuming you hit Cmd+A in iTunes, then accidentally pressed the delete button, and then accidentally confirmed that action, which would just send those files to the trash.

...But I guess since you accidentally delete 8,000 songs on purpose, you delete them from the trash also. :(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
So, has Data Rescue II found your files? If you haven't got it yet, then stop posting here and shut the machine down before the virtual RAM eats your tunes. :)

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
Didn't you backup your computer at some point? I backup my entire computer to an external hard drive every few weeks using SuperDuper!

Hard drives fail, so even if you don't mess up, you still risk loosing everything. Please everyone backup your computers, Time Machine should change all this.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Didn't you backup your computer at some point? I backup my entire computer to an external hard drive every few weeks using SuperDuper! Hard drives fail, so even if you don't mess up, you still risk loosing everything. Please everyone backup your computers, Time Machine should change all this.

Wiser words have never been spoken! My iTunes library is around the 7,000 song mark -- virtually all with album cover art, many with lyrics -- and it represents a time investment of several hundred hours. Consequently I fairly obsess about backing it up. It is backed-up weekly on my 40GB iPod and monthly on my 160GB Lacie FW HD. Plus I maintain two sets of DVD-R backups of the entire library, one set stored at my parent's house just in case my place burns down. FYI, I have a Smart Playlist called "New Since Last DVD" that fills itself up with everything added since the date of the last DVD-R backup... when it approaches 4.7GB I burn that playlist to DVD and reset the date. I am likewise fanatical about backing-up my iPhoto library, as it contains many family photos that are irreplacable. Kudos to Apple, again, for making automated incremental backups so easy and intuitive with Time Machine!

PS -- I'm not sure there is a bright side to what you did, but maybe if you DO have to re-rip all your CD's, you might want to consider going ALE or at least high-bitrate AAC.....

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Didn't you backup your computer at some point? I backup my entire computer to an external hard drive every few weeks using SuperDuper!

Hard drives fail, so even if you don't mess up, you still risk loosing everything. Please everyone backup your computers, Time Machine should change all this.

Nice reminder :D

*takes MBP upstairs*
*plugs in Firewire hard disk*
*runs SuperDuper*
*returns to kitchen, makes a coffee*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.