PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum 15" PB concept image

Postal
May 10, 2003, 11:13 PM
Just for fun, I decided to whip up a concept image of a 15" aluminum PowerBook for those people yearning for the day when they can upgrade to the new case style without changing their screen size.

Here's the URL: http://members.rogers.com/jfingas/al15concept.JPG

Please be gentle about clicking that link, since I don't want to go overboard on the data traffic limit on my ISP's webspace. If you think you'd like to host it, though, be my guest. Just be sure to give me some credit. ;)

And remember, before you run excitedly to the rumour sites claiming that I have official material, remember: this is a digital manipulation. If Apple Legal somehow decided to pull this it would simply be a coincidence that my image was similar to the real thing.

tazo
May 11, 2003, 12:04 AM
i prefer the TiBook myself. :) having said that however your mockup is pretty good. :P

Swordsman
May 11, 2003, 01:12 AM
NICE!

maradong
May 11, 2003, 01:42 AM
yup.
esp. because of the feature that you can raise and lower te screen brighntness and the keyboard backlight. or am i misinterpreting the signs over f9 anf f10 ?

Wyrm
May 11, 2003, 01:55 AM
17" minus 2.

I wonder what is taking Apple so long to ship it?
Minus rumors of ATI 9600, and 970.

Sales of the 15" TiBook must be dismal, non? Hmm maybe that's the point?

-Wyrm

QCassidy352
May 11, 2003, 02:01 AM
"Sales of the 15" TiBook must be dismal, non? Hmm maybe that's the point?"

I would think so, but then again, not all mac users follow rumor sites like this. It may not have occured to many ppl that the Ti's are due to be retired.

But if I were apple and had the Al's ready to go, I'd bite the bullet, discount the Ti's and get the sales of the Al's going rather than slowly trying to dump all these Ti's at full price. Of course, maybe the Al's aren't ready which would make that a moot point.

very nice mock up of the 15" Al. A gorgeous computer, if it ends up looking like that.

Ryan1524
May 11, 2003, 02:03 AM
reduce the size of the trackpad as well...it looks awfully weird on that smaller field. otherwise...looks good..:)

Wyrm
May 11, 2003, 03:08 AM
Trackpad: Looks good to me - bigger the better. It's only missing the Apple dial (ha ha ha).

15" - as far as I'm concerned, I think the 15" is the best size.. not too big, not too small. If there were a good 15" out there then 12" and 17" would probably suffer.

-Wyrm

LimeLite
May 11, 2003, 03:49 AM
I don't like how the power button is actually on the speaker grill.

toughboy
May 11, 2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Wyrm
Trackpad: Looks good to me - bigger the better. It's only missing the Apple dial (ha ha ha).

15" - as far as I'm concerned, I think the 15" is the best size.. not too big, not too small. If there were a good 15" out there then 12" and 17" would probably suffer.

-Wyrm

I definitely agree with you.. if they would launch 15 with 12 and 17" versions, the others would really suffer... but the time of launch is kind of coming.. at least I hope the 15"Al will be launched and shipping as mid June or begining of July...

MacFan25
May 11, 2003, 09:20 AM
Nice mock-up. I hope that it really will look like that! :)

phantommaul
May 11, 2003, 09:29 AM
i liked your doctored image, but i think u have to reduce the size of the trackpad. i know bigger is better but there is no ratio with the computer itself.

and my wishes are they ship this babe with 970 ppc's and 10.3 64 bit :)))))

etoiles
May 12, 2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by phantommaul
and my wishes are they ship this babe with 970 ppc's and 10.3 64 bit :)))))

...and a NVIDIA Quadro4 Go, thanks...;)

Jaykay
May 12, 2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Wyrm

-Wyrm

Yeah, that seems like a very likely reason for them holding back the 15" (if they are holding it back that is).

Flickta
May 12, 2003, 12:45 PM
Now I am sure I like mine more. Only the paint...
Is the keyboard so... UNpretty in real life?

cb911
May 12, 2003, 04:12 PM
wow. that's a pretty good mock-up Postal.

although i when i think about it i don't really like the 'roundedness' of what a 15"AlBook would look like. i think the rounded edges suits the 12 & 17" PB, but going from the 'not-so-rounded' corners of the TiBook i think that would take a bit of getting used to.

good mock-up anyway, sort of gives you an idea of what the 15" AlBook will look like. i've never thought about it before.

yzedf
May 12, 2003, 04:21 PM
Just in case...

http://www.yzedf.com/pics/random/al15concept.jpg

All credit goes to Postal.

Pretty sharp looking mock-up though!

Grimace
May 12, 2003, 05:12 PM
The depth is still too much - but nice job.

Postal
May 12, 2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the image... I know that it's not perfect, for sure. The trackpad being the same size as for the 17" was influenced by it being late when I was finishing the image. I didn't want to spend the next hour resizing the pad and cleaning up the colours when I could have some blissful sleep, you know? :)

Ryan1524
May 13, 2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by etoiles
...and a NVIDIA Quadro4 Go, thanks...;)

NOOO!!!
ATI is infinitely better. i pray that they'd ship it with the new Rad-9600 :(

Wyrm
May 13, 2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Ryan1524
NOOO!!!
ATI is infinitely better. i pray that they'd ship it with the new Rad-9600 :(

Yeah, the ATI9600 looks much better on paper - of course, no Mac product ships with one, but ATi9600Mobility support is in 10.2.6... ha ha?

Is there a Nvidia 5xxx FX Go anywhere in the world? Just as long as it doesn't come with the leaf blower.

-Wyrm

Eckslusive
May 14, 2003, 12:16 AM
i Still really like the black keys on the 15" tho. I wish those could light up.

kiwi_the_iwik
May 15, 2003, 02:26 AM
With regard to the size of the trackpad - maybe a bigger one could benefit everyone...

With Apple's inkwell technology, an oversized trackpad could also double as a handwriting recognition device, if bundled with a plastic stylus (aka. the Newton).

:)

saabmp3
May 15, 2003, 10:24 AM
A trackpad, unless radically designed would not operate this way (I know, it's sad). In order to use a stylus, a touch sensitive pad must be used while nearly all current laptops use heat sensitive pads for the mouse.

I know there are dissadvantages to the touch pads, but I forget what they are now, sorry.

BEN

xj9000
May 15, 2003, 11:42 AM
http://www.apple.com/airport/

have a looked at the photo on this page, on the right side about half way down. The guy is holding a new Powerbook, it's not the 12 inch, and looks too small for the 17inch. If you go to the Quicktime VR gallery of the 17inch and try to line-up the possitions the same, the apple logo on the 17inch looks much smaller than this photo shows.

could this be a new 15inch powerbook photo?

Eniregnat
May 15, 2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by xj9000
http://www.apple.com/airport/

have a looked at the photo on this page, on the right side about half way down. The guy is holding a new Powerbook, it's not the 12 inch, and looks too small for the 17inch. ...
could this be a new 15inch powerbook photo?

I think that he is typing on a 17". Because it is shot at an angle, the apparent size difference could be do to a parallax error.

As far as the track pad, it is likely that Apple will use the same track pad in all its new models if it can. It saves money and reduces the number of different kinds of parts that Apple has to manage.

Postal (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=5481), I like the mock up (http://members.rogers.com/jfingas/al15concept.JPG). You did a good job.

Note: Links and quotes provided for thread continuity.