PDA

View Full Version : how many ppl u motivated to switch?

woodsey
May 11, 2003, 07:27 AM
My mate just came round and showed me his new iBook. he had been a pc user unitl i wouldnt shut up about apple, and got him hooked, after convincing him to buy an old iMac.

And thats where i got the idea for this thread. I appologise if it has been done before, but i was just thinking of all the people I have introduced to apple computers, and motivated them to purchase one ( or more)

My list
James iMac (bondi) then iBook 12" 800
Brendan iMac 17"
Tim iMac (graphite) 600
Brad PowerMac G4 dual 450
Alicia iBook 14" 900 (coming soon!)

Im sure many of you will have done better, but i thougt it would be interesting if people just jotted down a quick list like i have above.

WinterMute
May 11, 2003, 07:38 AM
Not too many personally, probably my Mum and Sister, oh, and a bloke down the road who dropped by to get some pics off a digital camera and then bought an iMac the next day:D

However, I teach music tech to 300+ students a semester, 140 of them brand new, the majority of which are PC users, I can usually count on 10 or 12 a semester buying Apple, usually G4 towers, but increasingly iMacs and eMacs and even a few PowerBook and iBooks.

Loads are buying iPods, Apple and Windoze.

We run exclusively Mac in the studios and workstation rooms in Mus Tech, we're installing OSX on 75 machines this summer:D

Mr. Anderson
May 11, 2003, 08:19 AM
I've actually managed to get 2 friends to get Macs - actually went with them to the Apple store to help them pic they're machines out.

D

bennetsaysargh
May 11, 2003, 08:52 AM
it seems that whenever i go to an apple store, someone always asks me questions to buy a mac or not. counting a few of them, i would say i may have partially influenced 10 or so people to switch:D

celaurie
May 11, 2003, 09:03 AM
Including family, since 1992 I've managed to switch at least eleven people and made triple that start seriously thinking about the Wintel box they currently use.

thegeek187
May 11, 2003, 09:20 AM
ive made significant progress in switching about 12 people and have switched 2 people from school one has a emac and one has a tower

[i]my evil plan to switch the whole world to macs by 2005 is working![i]

HasanDaddy
May 11, 2003, 09:29 AM
My Mom and Dad are currently fighting over my old iBook.....so that's two people I have in the bag right there (they were DELL-HELL users before)

I also got my Environmental Science professor to switch!

woodsey
May 11, 2003, 10:13 AM
Its excellent to see such great responses.

Don't know about you guys, but it gives me a lot of satisfaction knowing i have saved someone from the awful world of windows!

This is surely a good thing we are doing for apple. They say the number one factor in motivating someone to buy (or not buy) a particular brand is feedback from a friend or associate.

Keep up the good work.

Freg3000
May 11, 2003, 10:29 AM
I'm working on one......Windows users can be really stubborn at times.

baby duck monge
May 11, 2003, 10:48 AM
four people...
my girlfriend, her dad, a coworker, and her sister.

celaurie
May 11, 2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by baby duck monge
four people...
my girlfriend, her dad, a coworker, and her sister.

A cow-worker? Like a rustler. Heh. :P

MacFan25
May 11, 2003, 12:01 PM
I haven't really motivated anyone to switch yet, but I think that I will eventually. Its funny to see my friends jaws drop when they see my mac!

bennetsaysargh
May 11, 2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by celaurie
A cow-worker? Like a rustler. Heh. :P

cow-worker? kinda funny even though did say coworker=co-worker

lol:-p

celaurie
May 11, 2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
cow-worker? kinda funny even though did say coworker=co-worker

lol:-p

I know, but I'm just a dufus! :P

bennetsaysargh
May 11, 2003, 01:37 PM
I know, but I'm just a dufus! :P

you're just another on the list of people that i know that are dufuses!
lol

shycoy
May 11, 2003, 03:00 PM
I've convinced 2 people to actually buy a Mac (Julien = iBook 800 12" and Charly = PowerMac G4)...
I've convinced many others to switch because they need to to music and/or websites and photoshop work, but they're still thinking...I'll make them swtich one way or another !!!!

springscansing
May 11, 2003, 03:20 PM
Friend and girlfriend.

DakotaGuy
May 11, 2003, 03:27 PM
2 people...

My friend John, an iMac G4 800 "15
and
My friend Scott, an iBook 12" 800

Tried to get others to switch, but many are too stuck on the PC.

iJon
May 11, 2003, 04:01 PM
i do it on a daily basis, i wish i knew how many, that would be a really cool thing to keep track of.

iJon

rice_web
May 11, 2003, 05:02 PM
Everybody that I've talked to actually wants a Mac; they simply don't want to spring the cash for a system that only offers them ease of use. Most of my friends would rather go and do things the "hard way" than buy an eMac.

Many are interested, but reasons do exist for not switching. Cost is a primary one.

vniow
May 11, 2003, 05:28 PM
Me, myself and I.

celaurie
May 12, 2003, 02:28 AM
you're just another on the list of people that i know that are dufuses!
lol

*bitchslaps*

bennetsaysargh
May 12, 2003, 02:44 PM
*bitchslaps*

i hope you're kidding around because i know i am.

also, yeserday mt nieghbor was over at my house.he is in love with iChat. he forgot to take his password out of the preferences. im gonna delete it though. im a nice guy.

senseibiz
May 12, 2003, 03:27 PM
I motivated 4 of my friends to switch to apple. now they thank me for pushing them to switch.
specially now that itunes 4 came out.

bennetsaysargh
May 12, 2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by senseibiz
I motivated 4 of my friends to switch to apple. now they thank me for pushing them to switch.
specially now that itunes 4 came out.

iTunes 4 R O C K S I N A N Y W O R L D ! !

celaurie
May 13, 2003, 02:18 AM
i hope you're kidding around because i know i am.

also, yeserday mt nieghbor was over at my house.he is in love with iChat. he forgot to take his password out of the preferences. im gonna delete it though. im a nice guy.

Ofcourse I'm kidding... that's what bitchslapping is all about. :D

bennetsaysargh
May 13, 2003, 05:40 AM
Ofcourse I'm kidding... that's what bitchslapping is all about. :D

ok then. in that case,
*bitchslaps back*
:D:p:) :cool:

celaurie
May 13, 2003, 12:52 PM
*bounces into your face* Oh, so that's how you want to fight? *produces handbag*

bennetsaysargh
May 13, 2003, 02:49 PM
*bounces into your face* Oh, so that's how you want to fight? *produces handbag*

with my luck, my mom will walk in when im reading this thread, and she'll think it's a messed up site and ban me. lol.
anyway, lets stopn this bickering, us mac users have common sense:D

scem0
May 13, 2003, 08:16 PM
ummmmm 1 person. And then I decided to buy a PC. Does my switch to PC cancel out my recruit (that is probably going to buy a PC again soon)? Both of us have similar views on computers - Macs and PCs both have advantages and disadvantages, and it all just boils down into what you are doing on the computer, and how much money you are willing to spend on the computer.

daytona63
May 13, 2003, 09:01 PM
My fiancee, two of my friends, a friend's girlfriend, and the same friend's sister - I guess that makes 5. My fiancee even convinced two others to get Macs, so I get something for that, right?

Ryan1524
May 14, 2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by daytona63
My fiancee, two of my friends, a friend's girlfriend, and the same friend's sister - I guess that makes 5. My fiancee even convinced two others to get Macs, so I get something for that, right?

reminds me of 'Pay It Forward'. :D

vollspacken
May 14, 2003, 12:58 AM
hhmmm,

actually only two... and one of them switched back!

- a friend of mine bought a B&W-tupperware G3 after I bought my tangerine iMac DV400 a couple of years ago

- two years earlier I convinced my dad to buy a beige G3-266 when they first came out (came with VPC, so he could use some of his PC-software...)
half a year later he bought a new PC...

vSpacken

bennetsaysargh
May 14, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by vollspacken
hhmmm,

actually only two... and one of them switched back!

- a friend of mine bought a B&W-tupperware G3 after I bought my tangerine iMac DV400 a couple of years ago

- two years earlier I convinced my dad to buy a beige G3-266 when they first came out (came with VPC, so he could use some of his PC-software...)
half a year later he bought a new PC...

vSpacken

why did he switch back? was it speed?

celaurie
May 15, 2003, 11:19 AM
with my luck, my mom will walk in when im reading this thread, and she'll think it's a messed up site and ban me. lol.
anyway, lets stopn this bickering, us mac users have common sense:D

Just as we were gettin' to the kinky stuff... *pouts*

bennetsaysargh
May 15, 2003, 03:09 PM
Just as we were gettin' to the kinky stuff... *pouts*

*bitchslaps and runs away.*

later, an email says sorry:p

celaurie
May 15, 2003, 09:47 PM
*chases feverently*

(This is starting to turn into a Benny Hill episode)

bennetsaysargh
May 16, 2003, 05:56 PM
*chases feverently*

(This is starting to turn into a Benny Hill episode)

who is Benny Hill?

anyway, *ends bithslaping contest with the mother of all bitchslaps which knocks celaurie out for a long time, long enough to fly to memphis*

i don't know why i said memphis.

scem0
May 16, 2003, 07:51 PM

For a lot of peeps (including me) it was/is price. I had $700 to spend on a comp. It was between a 2.4 GHz p4, 512 MHz system bus, 512 MB 333 MHz DDR, CDRW, etc. or an old, slow tower. I am quite happy with the choice I made.

vollspacken
May 18, 2003, 03:03 PM

he needs a pc for CAD, that's what he does for living and sometimes he takes work home... VPC just did not deliver (and still doesn't...), but we (or I, hehe) finally got a decend mac... I never touched a pc since..!

vSpacken

bennetsaysargh
May 18, 2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by vollspacken
he needs a pc for CAD, that's what he does for living and sometimes he takes work home... VPC just did not deliver (and still doesn't...), but we (or I, hehe) finally got a decend mac... I never touched a pc since..!

vSpacken

that's good to hear:D

shycoy
May 19, 2003, 06:55 AM
I was in Paris last week end and told a friend of mine what I could do with my iBook with 'only' 10 Go and 500Mhz PPC...we went to an Apple reseller and he ordered a 12' PowerBook after seeing and trying one in the shop !!!
He's now waiting for the delivery but seems quite pleased at first sight !!
Another happy swticher so far !!!
will let you know asap how he feels with his new toy / work platform:cool:

iShater
May 23, 2003, 04:12 PM
I guess 2, working on the third.

My buddy Marty was doing video editing on his Dull, and I kept talking about Macs and iMovie. He finally got a 17" 800Mhz iMac, and he loves it.

A co-worker was thinking about getting a powerbook or an ibook. I sold her on iTunes, and all, she went and got her self a 12" top-of-the-line powerbook. When the new iPods came out I told her the details, now she has a mid-range one.

I am still working on one person. He alsmost bought an iBook two days ago, like had it in his hands, then put it back. That person was me. :(

My friends said they will have a party when I finally buy my Mac, cause I talk about it so much :p