PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on music system setup

wisredz
Jan 7, 2007, 10:35 AM
Hi there,

Lately I have been thinking of getting a decent audio system for my room. And I mean decent, I don't want a mini music set or something like that. I was thinking of getting a deck SACD player and kick-*ss speakers but this decision is not based on knowledge or anything, just what I see from serious music listeners(?).
I was hoping to get your help on this matter. I don't need radio or MP3 playback or multidisc changers. All I need is decent SACD player and speakers.
Any help is highly appreciated. Some technical introduction might be helpful as well

PS: I know there are some players for $5k or over but I'm in the market for middle-priced stuff.

scottlinux
Jan 9, 2007, 12:18 AM
SACD uses digital outputs, so you need to make sure your receiver/speakers, etc can take that. I think SACD players use spdif.

You should just be aware that DVD-A discs do NOT use digital outs. They are analog. So if you wanted a DVD-A player in your setup, you'd have to use a different setup on your receiver. A pain.

chasemac
Jan 9, 2007, 12:44 AM
SACD uses digital outputs, so you need to make sure your receiver/speakers, etc can take that. I think SACD players use spdif.

You should just be aware that DVD-A discs do NOT use digital outs. They are analog. So if you wanted a DVD-A player in your setup, you'd have to use a different setup on your receiver. A pain.

All you need (http://www.bose.com/controller?event=DTC_LINKS_TARGET_EVENT&DTCLinkID=2570&perfsourceid=k15318&src=k15318).:)

wisredz
Jan 9, 2007, 05:14 AM
Thanks for your replies :)

Chasemac, that Bose sure looks cool but I'm afraid it's not what I need. I want the speakers to fill the room with music.

scottlinux, I have been considering a Denon DVD player that can play SACD and DVD-A at the same time. But I'm not so sure about SACD right now, because my room at the time can't accomodate a full surround system. Perhaps in the future, when I change the furniture.

I have been considering B&W speakers as well. I thought I'd get the 802D but then I let the idea drop when I saw the price :) $12k for a pair. So I've been thinking about 803 or 804 or perhaps 703 or 602. I know I have to listen these before buying but these speakers seem to get a lot of positive reviews online.

Also what have you got to say about Marantz SR5600 A/V Receiver? I'm not very good at this stuff, so this was an uninformed decision.

Thanks again for your replies and your time