Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wisredz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Hi there,

Lately I have been thinking of getting a decent audio system for my room. And I mean decent, I don't want a mini music set or something like that. I was thinking of getting a deck SACD player and kick-*ss speakers but this decision is not based on knowledge or anything, just what I see from serious music listeners(?).
I was hoping to get your help on this matter. I don't need radio or MP3 playback or multidisc changers. All I need is decent SACD player and speakers.
Any help is highly appreciated. Some technical introduction might be helpful as well

PS: I know there are some players for $5k or over but I'm in the market for middle-priced stuff.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
SACD uses digital outputs, so you need to make sure your receiver/speakers, etc can take that. I think SACD players use spdif.

You should just be aware that DVD-A discs do NOT use digital outs. They are analog. So if you wanted a DVD-A player in your setup, you'd have to use a different setup on your receiver. A pain.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
SACD uses digital outputs, so you need to make sure your receiver/speakers, etc can take that. I think SACD players use spdif.

You should just be aware that DVD-A discs do NOT use digital outs. They are analog. So if you wanted a DVD-A player in your setup, you'd have to use a different setup on your receiver. A pain.

All you need.:)

wisredz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Thanks for your replies :)

Chasemac, that Bose sure looks cool but I'm afraid it's not what I need. I want the speakers to fill the room with music.

scottlinux, I have been considering a Denon DVD player that can play SACD and DVD-A at the same time. But I'm not so sure about SACD right now, because my room at the time can't accomodate a full surround system. Perhaps in the future, when I change the furniture.

I have been considering B&W speakers as well. I thought I'd get the 802D but then I let the idea drop when I saw the price :) $12k for a pair. So I've been thinking about 803 or 804 or perhaps 703 or 602. I know I have to listen these before buying but these speakers seem to get a lot of positive reviews online.

Also what have you got to say about Marantz SR5600 A/V Receiver? I'm not very good at this stuff, so this was an uninformed decision.

Thanks again for your replies and your time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.