PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Powerbook

Deej
Jan 7, 2007, 11:37 AM
Hi all,

Following on from my Apple Hardware Test CD thread, I've got a poorly Powerbook G4 12" 1.3Ghz, and I'm feeling a bit stuck so I thought I'd ask for help.

Earlier today when switching on, it was going through to Open Firmware and wouldn't boot normally - was showing an error that suggested it was memory.

Took the extra RAM module out and the Open Firmware went away, but instead was halting halfway through boot with a Kernel Panic.

Tried booting into Safe Mode and it's working fine, but it just won't boot normally.

I've repaired permissions, and reset NVRAM, PRAM and PMU.

I've also reinstalled Tiger from an original Tiger DVD, and still it's Kernel Panicking.

Apple Hardware Test gives the machine a clean bill of health, which I find difficult to believe!!

Anybody got any ideas? Please - help a desperate man out!!

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 7, 2007, 12:11 PM
Hi all,

Following on from my Apple Hardware Test CD thread, I've got a poorly Powerbook G4 12" 1.3Ghz, and I'm feeling a bit stuck so I thought I'd ask for help.

Earlier today when switching on, it was going through to Open Firmware and wouldn't boot normally - was showing an error that suggested it was memory.

Took the extra RAM module out and the Open Firmware went away, but instead was halting halfway through boot with a Kernel Panic.

Tried booting into Safe Mode and it's working fine, but it just won't boot normally.

I've repaired permissions, and reset NVRAM, PRAM and PMU.

I've also reinstalled Tiger from an original Tiger DVD, and still it's Kernel Panicking.

Apple Hardware Test gives the machine a clean bill of health, which I find difficult to believe!!

Anybody got any ideas? Please - help a desperate man out!!

Dude just call Apple. ;)

Deej
Jan 7, 2007, 12:36 PM
Think I'm going to have to!

Can I still do that without AppleCare though?

Jiddick ExRex
Jan 7, 2007, 12:40 PM
I think the worst they can do is not take your call when you give them your serial number. I managed to call Apple (got some horrible Swedish chick in the phone who I didn't understand a word from since I am Danish) and I got help, although my iBook was out of AC...