Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
USA
Seeing as someone has made a thread for predictions of new mac mini specs, it makes sense to voice 6g ipod specs opinions. will it just be a slightly bigger screen? full screen? speed bump? touch screen? stripped down osx capable? WHAT DO U THINK?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Well, this one is a bit harder to predict. But I say it will be abailable in 30 and 80gb models... maybe priced at $329 and $399... I think most of it will be used for screen real estate and I bet it will have limited touch screen capabilities.

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
USA
Well, this one is a bit harder to predict. But I say it will be abailable in 30 and 80gb models... maybe priced at $329 and $399... I think most of it will be used for screen real estate and I bet it will have limited touch screen capabilities.

reasonable, however, i don't think they can bump the more consumer level 30gig anywhere above 300$. I don't think it would sell as well. The reason ipods did as well as they did this holiday season had a lot to do with very reasonable pricing. (personally im getting the highest end model, with as much space as they will give me)

Retired
May 16, 2006
The big question is if it (with a full size touch display) will be powerful enough to run a touch based OS, even if it isn't OSX lite, but linux.

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
USA
The big question is if it (with a full size touch display) will be powerful enough to run a touch based OS, even if it isn't OSX lite, but linux.

With an OS or just videos etc. running on it. How good will the battery life be? I'm not looking for specifics. im just curious if the tech is there to keep battery life at about the same, with bigger better screens.

The Toon Master

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Well, here's my theory

By Summer 2007, there will be a set of 12GB Nanos 250 dollars American, making 8GB 200(down 50), 4GB 150(Down 50), and the 2GB 125(Down 25), and The 1GB Shuffle(with a sturdier clip) is $75(Down 5).

At Macworld on Tuesday, we will get the first brief glimpse at the 6th Generation(Maybe not..) Which would come out in Fall 07.

Here are my predicted Specs

Models: 30G, 60G, 90G
Price: $300, $350, $400
Other New Features: Dual Headphone Ports, bigger screen(But not Widescreen), I don't know ,i can't really think of anything.., other than definatly No Touch Screen. I'd like to see a wauy to watch videos and scan for stuff at the same time..

In addition to the new iPods, iTunes would have new features such as

-Movie Trailers now in the Movie Section
-Favorite artists(For example, lets say you have an album by Queen, and the soundtrack to the movie Spider-Man 2. So instead of scanning through all the titles to get to the queen songs, you can just go to that one quicker. This would be really useful since it takes me about 2min to get to Weird Al yankovic by Artist Section)

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
Toshiba were touting a new 120GB 1.8" hard drive late 2006, so I think it'll be something like this.

60GB and 120GB capacities.
4-inch widescreen, matte finish, with ultra-hard coating.
Touch sensitive screen.
Touch sensitive buttons on side for music control.
Phone features built in.
New dock (similar to Archos) to allow direct recording.

Re. the dock. If iTV has PVR features then they won't do this with the iPod. But I still think they will change the dock so that the iPod connects on the long edge.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
I don't think there's a 90GB HD in any size.

Yeah, I doubt they will keep the low-end 30GB model on this and I'm going as far as to say that they'll make the 60 the low-end for the 6G. It will be touch sensitive like we've all been hoping for and a new GUI, Front Row-like. They'll incorporate the touch-bezel (instead of touching the screen, just the border/rim of the iPod) by the end of the year. Of course, with the release of the iRiver with a rather full touch screen, I think they'll expand and work on the bezel-idea, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have that as Rev. A. The revised dock (for iTV) will be optional but the old one is still compatible with the 6G. Bluetooth will be an add-on feature for the low-end 60GB, while the 120GB will be standard. To sum up:

@ Launch:
60GB/120GB : $319/$399
Full touch screen. 4" WS
Front-Row-esque GUI
Bluetooth standard on 120GB, $30 upgrade for 60GB
$50 dock

Once it's said and done for the 6G:
60/120 : 299/369
Bezel touch. 4" WS
Front-Row-esque GUI
Bluetooth standard
Wireless Streaming standard

Just some wild speculation. :D

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
so macworld is this week. here we go again. my prediction is very simple like Apple. I don't think Apple will add bunch of features as hardware. typically all of them will be solved by delicated software system. anyway, here I go.

1. capacity.

we will still see 30GB (or 40GB), 80GB (or 100GB). of course volume will be upgraded later. but in this time, these will be appropriate.

2. battery life

there are still many people who complain about 30GB ipod video battery life. it will be improved without doubt. roughly low end model will go up to 20~24 hours. high end will be more than 36 hours.

3. screen

it will be better if the screen goes to 3.5 inch or more. it's perfect for watching movie in busy places like train, airplane, commercial areas.

4. control

there has been so much rumor on this. thouch screen? well, if it will be true, I will be happier. but I don't think Apple will do that. some scratch problem will be appeared after. so control edge of video ipod is more smart idea.

5. UI

it should be changed now. they've kept the same UI for 5 years. it's time to change for HD age. but it's not necessarily to be similar with zune. zune UI is wonderful but little bit complicated.

6. wifi or bluetooth?

well, it's battery eater. but it will be very useful. whether Apple will choose 802.11 or bluetooth, we will receive good benefit. but it will be better with 802.11 because bluetooth has trans speed limit, takes more time than wifi.
with wifi, you can synch emails, some RSS feeds, songs, short movie files like TV shows within shorter time. but Apple won't do sharing feature like zune. it's stupid.

7. form factor

virtually it will be thinner but it will be little bit bigger because you need to watch movie with bigger screen. but it will be still comfortable, smaller on your hand or pocket. material won't be polycarbone like ipod video today. it will be 2nd generation ipod nano like skin. so you don't need protector anymore. screen is enhanced to resist from heavy scratches. it won't virtually get any scratch at all.

8. price

well, I think it will be the same price or little higher. 30GB (or 40GB) is $249 or $299. 80GB (or 100GB) is $349 or $399.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.