PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Next Generation Device?

MacRumors
Jan 7, 2007, 10:39 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

The International Herald Tribune reports (http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/07/yourmoney/mobile.php) on upcoming computer-cellphone hybrids that offer more functionality than traditional cell phones.

The article discusses what Apple may finally release on Tuesday at Macworld San Francisco. They reference unspecified "industry executives and competitors" and makes some interesting claims about Apple's rumored phone:

Apple has developed the first of the next generation of devices that are closer to personal computers in pocket form, meaning that they will easily handle music, entertainment, productivity tasks and communications on cellular and other wireless networks.

Certainly, many have hoped that Apple would enter the "smart" phone marketplace, perhaps finally reentering the PDA market after the demise of the Newton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Newton) in 1998.

Without specific sources cited, however, this may simply be a rehash of existing Apple Phone rumors.

Macworld Expo kicks off on Tuesday, Jan 9th at 9am Pacific and MacRumors will provide live coverage (http://www.macrumorslive.com).

Ryan5505
Jan 7, 2007, 10:42 PM
I hope I can use it on the Verizon network.

lvnmacs
Jan 7, 2007, 10:42 PM
Can't wait to see if this is true:confused:

BlueRevolution
Jan 7, 2007, 10:43 PM
I'm guessing this is just speculation, but it does sound promising.

LastZion
Jan 7, 2007, 10:44 PM
I feel like this is the 14th time I've posted this on different threads... but man I hope this happens on Tuesday. I am ready with CC in hand.

theROZ
Jan 7, 2007, 10:45 PM
just finished watching the most boring MS keynote ever...they presented not one new idea or fresh approach....i certainly hope that if apple does release an iphone it blows ms into the toilet....

EricNau
While I am keeping my fingers crossed, I have my doubts.

I guess we'll find out on Tuesday.

chuckles:)
what if apple isn't planning a phone, and all the hype is just speculation turned rumor?

know-it-all5
Jan 7, 2007, 10:50 PM
what if apple isn't planning a phone, and all the hype is just speculation turned rumor?
i would laugh for 24 hours straight!

motulist
Jan 7, 2007, 10:50 PM
Settle down people! Settle...

Remember the iPod speaker media event debacle. Obviously bigger things will happen at a Macworld expo, but try not to get your expectations so high that no real product could possibly meet. No doubt some super cool things are about to come out, but let's try and keep at least 1 foot on the ground at all times.

Aww heck, forget all that, just go nuts!

:D

Lunja
Jan 7, 2007, 10:51 PM
It's interface will have to be as good as Nokia's Symbian system to sway me...

Are we thinking about this the wrong way though? Why would Apple try to compete with Motorola in making a normal phone? Would it not be better off heading into the BlackBerry market? That would offer incredible integration possibilities...

rt_brained
Jan 7, 2007, 10:54 PM
Might just hang at local Apple Store and view Keynote feedback from MacRumors just in case rumored iPhone is available.

Peace
Jan 7, 2007, 10:57 PM
Whatever the darn thing is other discussions imply they come in pink and other colors.

tvguru
I hope this is true. I'm thinking about buying a Blackberry when I return home in just over a week. Come on Apple throw a wrench into my plans.

slffl
People say they want this and that feature in the iPhone (ie slide out keyboard, wi-fi, 'smartphone', etc). I don't think Apple is going after the business market, just like with their computers and software. If/when they do come out with an iPhone, it will have new features that cater to the regular house hold consumer who likes music, photos, movies, IM, web (kind of like the sidekick). But it's not going to be a business executives dream (nor do I want it to be).

Texas04
Jan 7, 2007, 10:58 PM
Computer plus cell phone. I hope all carriers can use it.. I also am hoping that it is WiFi enabled for easy iChat usage... man.. mano man.. i am exited.. I cant decide weather to boycott the internet on Tuesday and wait till Wednesday to watch the keynote or just look at it on MacRumors Live...

Digital Skunk
Jan 7, 2007, 10:58 PM
I just don't want Apple to put out a crap device that is a regular phone. It has to be what this rumor is talking about. A smartphone that is the best media device on the market... next to the motorola stuff.

I am waiting for that. Not a candybar shaped junk device that does nothing out of the ordinary. I would love it (and Apple has the power :D ) if I could replace my Palm TX and crap Sprint LG phone with a device that is an Apple smartphone with OS X light. :D If it doesn't use Sprint's system I will switch!

Meh... why keep dreaming. If it happens it happens but if it happens it better be good.

p.s. ["God is the one who chooses our rulers" - Katherine Harris, 08/24/06] No He does not!

mkjellman
Jan 7, 2007, 11:00 PM
the biggest thing is...with Windows Mobile 5 and my Treo 700w I have come to live by Active Sync.....I'm a diehard apple user but i use products that let my exchange server connect with my mac..and everything originates from the palm most of the time...

if apple doesn't have active sync connectivity or blackberry connect, it will be a flop if they want to enter the smartphone/pda market

Lunja
Jan 7, 2007, 11:03 PM
If/when they do come out with an iPhone, it will have new features that cater to the regular house hold consumer who likes music, photos, movies, IM, web (kind of like the sidekick). But it's not going to be a business executives dream (nor do I want it to be).

I'm not bothered about music, movies or IM on a phone. I'd much rather they teamed up with Canon to make a phone with a decent camera :p

dashiel
Jan 7, 2007, 11:03 PM
is anyone else surprised at the complete lack of any "real" leaks? in the past we've had some pretty accurate leaks, along with a ton of crap, but at least a few things have come through. the shuffle for one, the first flat screen imac, the nano. still a little more than 36 hours, but it is interesting.

applekid
Jan 7, 2007, 11:04 PM
iPhone... psh.

Just give me a PDA or Mac Tablet, Apple.

I don't know, despite all of this hype and rumoring about an iPhone, I don't think we'll see it.

Of course, I had the same feeling about Intel chips... The rumors weren't quite hitting me and making me feel all excited inside and couldn't believe Apple would make such a move.

WildPalms
Jan 7, 2007, 11:16 PM
Whatever the darn thing is other discussions imply they come in pink and other colors.

iLube - apple scented gel, gentle enough for daily use ;)

Stridder44
Jan 7, 2007, 11:24 PM
Ok maybe I'm not thinking outside of the box enough, but "smartphone"? A computer-cellphone hybrid? Rather you mean a PDA?? They're speaking of "next-gen" cellphones but it sounds like an ordinary PDA to me. I don't understand what could be so revolutionary that isn't already out (as far as the phone market is concerned). I do believe that if Apple did bring something to the table they could definitely market it better than anyone else has done, but still....

Or maybe Apple intends to finally kill the gap between PDA's, Phones, and MP3 players and reveal a magical all-in-one device (that actually works).

SiliconAddict
Jan 7, 2007, 11:29 PM
We already have smarts in the market. What I would like from Apple is pretty as well, at least from a GUI standpoint. Brains and looks. Bring it Apple.

I doubt it will be a PDA. The day Apple rereleases a PDA is the day the MN Vikings win the Super Bowl. (Translation: The apocalypse will occur.)

sartinsauce
Jan 7, 2007, 11:37 PM
is anyone else surprised at the complete lack of any "real" leaks? in the past we've had some pretty accurate leaks, along with a ton of crap, but at least a few things have come through. the shuffle for one, the first flat screen imac, the nano. still a little more than 36 hours, but it is interesting.

Bothered, no. I'm resigning this MWSF to be a ho-hum keynote. Like many have said, I think the most exciting thing we'll see it more Leopard previews and features. Probably we'll see the iTV again. Shipping dates announced for both, taking orders now. I don't expect any new devices. It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) the mainstream media does if an ApplePhone isn't released. There's so much media presence at the keynote's these days, I'm curious to see a response to a boring keynote.

xfiftyfour
Jan 7, 2007, 11:46 PM
I won't be buying anything (no extra cash - unless of course this could realistically replace my iPod, in which case an eBay auction might be in order!), but I'm still very excited to see if all these rumors turn out to be true, and what its feature set might be.

I just love seeing new apple products in general.. they always make me want to go wreckless with my CC!

jnschnitzer
Jan 7, 2007, 11:49 PM
I would be very interested to see a light version of OSX on some sort of a smartphone device. I'm not really interested in the iPod/iPhone mix, I already have an iPod and it serves its purpose. I really need something to organize my life ... but with an Apple touch of ingenuity :D ... damn you Apple always giving me excuses to spend my very very low funds :mad:

mazola
Jan 8, 2007, 12:16 AM
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!

SpaceJello
Jan 8, 2007, 12:20 AM
Isn't Apple setting itself for GREAT expectations though?

"The first 30 years is just the beginning. Welcome to 2007."

I doubt it would only be about Leopard or iTV. If it is, iTV and Leopard better have something that will blow us away. Whether there will be an iphone or itablet or whatever, I seriously think if Apple DO intro a new device it won't be just a phone with ipod, or smart phone or anything generic like what we are used to. It will have something that is different.

I used a palm, hated it. To many crashes and complicated backend things. Apple can do better.

I have a Razr, dying for something better, the UI and program options of cellphone these days are way too complicated and useless. I don't use the camera or video cam. I want better quality.

I do wish Apple better give us something. It's not fanboy hype this time, you asked for it!!

bshort
Jan 8, 2007, 12:21 AM

I think it just points to the fact that there's not going to be much announced on Tuesday.

berkleeboy210
Jan 8, 2007, 12:43 AM
Ladies and Gents, Start your Engines and Hold on Tight!

pkis
Jan 8, 2007, 12:44 AM
Are we thinking about this the wrong way though? Why would Apple try to compete with Motorola in making a normal phone? Would it not be better off heading into the BlackBerry market? That would offer incredible integration possibilities...

Apple isn't strong in the business sector - the only business product line they have is the Xserve series - and as they don't seem to be offering any on-location maintenance plans (at least not in Europe), the latter is also not a viable alternative to the likes of Dell and HP in most companies.
Why should Apple offer a business PDA when their whole sales strategy is entirely customer-focused? Not likely, if you ask me.

berkleeboy210
Jan 8, 2007, 12:44 AM

Well, I believe the Past Couple Years, Kevin Rose usually updates his blog the Morning OF the keynote, and has been pretty much dead on the past couple years. So we still have some time for leaks!

I will be glued to CNBC and MacRumorsLive all day on Tues!

CTYankee
Jan 8, 2007, 12:58 AM
Steve's "one more thing" announcement this year gets interrupted by a cell phone call. I'll let you figure out the rest...

ppnkg
Jan 8, 2007, 01:00 AM
uh, there's no point in discussing these rumors anymore. If apple wants to welcome us to 2007 and means it, they better announce something interesting tomorrow.

lorien
Jan 8, 2007, 01:00 AM
iLube - apple scented gel, gentle enough for daily use ;)

MMM, silky smooth...
iMobile, iPhone, iDon't care anymore!

Porchland
Jan 8, 2007, 01:05 AM
the biggest thing is...with Windows Mobile 5 and my Treo 700w I have come to live by Active Sync.....I'm a diehard apple user but i use products that let my exchange server connect with my mac..and everything originates from the palm most of the time...

if apple doesn't have active sync connectivity or blackberry connect, it will be a flop if they want to enter the smartphone/pda market

I'm in the same boat. I use Exchange for work, and I'm about to get a Treo 700w purely because of ActiveSync. Unless Steve Jobs says this (hypothetical) new phone works with ActiveSync, I will almost certainly go ahead with the Treo.

I think it's hard to separate the business market from the personal market when it comes to phones; it's not like I'm going to carry two.

thejedipunk
Jan 8, 2007, 01:10 AM

My thoughts exactly. I've been thinking/talking about this since last year. There are enough normal phones out there and good ones that Apple can't really come in and stir ***** up.

SRSound
Jan 8, 2007, 01:11 AM
Steve's "one more thing" announcement this year gets interrupted by a cell phone call. I'll let you figure out the rest...

that would be amazing. if only...

jhande
Jan 8, 2007, 01:16 AM
iPhone... psh.

I don't know, despite all of this hype and rumoring about an iPhone, I don't think we'll see it.

Of course, I had the same feeling about Intel chips... The rumors weren't quite hitting me and making me feel all excited inside and couldn't believe Apple would make such a move.

In a word: WORD

twoodcc
Jan 8, 2007, 01:19 AM
I hope I can use it on the Verizon network.

i'm hoping to use with Cingular, and i hope it's really 'next-gen'

DaveTheGrey
Jan 8, 2007, 01:19 AM
Settle down people! Settle...

Remember the iPod speaker media event debacle. Obviously bigger things will happen at a Macworld expo, but try not to get your expectations so high that no real product could possibly meet. No doubt some super cool things are about to come out, but let's try and keep at least 1 foot on the ground at all times.

Aww heck, forget all that, just go nuts!

:D

u made my day.

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2007, 01:21 AM
I think it just points to the fact that there's not going to be much announced on Tuesday.

You don't know much about MW do you? Hehe. Over the last few years Apple has been seriously cracking down on the leaks. Its gone from a downpour to a drizzle in the last 4 years alone. I think Apple has gotten REALLY pissed over these leaks and has done things both behind the scenes and in the public eye (Read: Sue the crap out of anyone leaking anything.) to stop the leaks. My money is on a few big things in January. Part of me thinks quad core Mac Pros however this IS a mainstream consumer event. Usually those things wait for WWDC but with the trans to Intel everything has been thrown up in the air.

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2007, 01:25 AM

From the audience. He fakes being pissed and asks the person to come on stage. Its the CEO of [insert big cellular company here]. :D I mean really how many people would recognize the CEO of Verizon sitting next to them in the audience.

PS- Note that I'm going to sue Jobs if he steals my idea. :p ;)

natejohnstone@g
Jan 8, 2007, 01:33 AM
I no longer think the Apple phone should be a iPod phone as much as a PDA phone (both together being welcome).
Right now I have a standard camera phone, an iPod Nano, and an HP iPaq PDA on which I can watch movies/write Word docss/internet/anything else a PDA can do. I'd love to have an Apple device that does all of these things VERY WELL and works with my Mac computer better than my current PDA works with Windows. If that comes out this year, I'll sell my 3 items to get 1 great one.
Honestly, though, if the Apple device doesn't have good video playback and a decent screen, i won't buy it.
To answer the previous post about "why a phone at all, why not just an Apple PDA?"
The answer is that the markets all over the world have already been heading towards a phone-based portable electronics society. The theory is that since you HAVE to have your cell phone with you, anything else you need can be tied in with that. In the US, we've had PDA phones for years, and they have appealed only to thsoe who watnted one. But camera phones and this past year MP3 phones have become popular, so manufacturers are relooking at other functionality: PDA, GPS, good portable video playback, Game systems (Sony sould come out with a PSP that is also a phone...), in Japan they are even experimenting with "smart pass" type credit cards that sticky right onto your phone!
The problem is that the cell phone companies--not the phone manufacturers--rule the roost. The best "rumor" about an Apple phone is that they will not be carrier-branded at all. This would be great for the industry, I think, although I'd still love a $150 rebate from a phone company to get one :)

Donz0r
Jan 8, 2007, 01:35 AM
I'm in the same boat. I use Exchange for work, and I'm about to get a Treo 700w purely because of ActiveSync. Unless Steve Jobs says this (hypothetical) new phone works with ActiveSync, I will almost certainly go ahead with the Treo.

I think it's hard to separate the business market from the personal market when it comes to phones; it's not like I'm going to carry two.

Palm released a Treo 750w, just so you know (in case the Apple Phone is not as you hope)

natejohnstone@g
Jan 8, 2007, 01:39 AM
From the audience. He fakes being pissed and asks the person to come on stage. Its the CEO of [insert big cellular company here]. :D I mean really how many people would recognize the CEO of Verizon sitting next to them in the audience.

That's actually a pretty sweet idea (not that original, I've used it more than once in a sermon, but sweet nonetheless), especially if the CEO is from either:
1) A company that Apple is now buying (Slingbox?)
2) A company that Apple partnered with to build it's PDA phone (Canon?)

Althogh i stil think that if Apple is really going into the phone buisness they should go all the way and work towards aquiring a major carrier--or a minor carrier that the turn into a major one.

toughboy
Jan 8, 2007, 01:42 AM

They are talking about some gadget with more functionality than "normal cellphones" and with more usability and elegance than BlackBerry..

Personally, I always thought that BlackBerry is somewhat "wrong" from the first place, and the only company that could innovate something better would be Apple IMO.

Marx55
Jan 8, 2007, 02:09 AM
Here it is with pictures. Built-in Mac OS X mobile:

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/communications/mobile_phone/evidence_mounts_for_january_iphone

http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=1
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=2
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=3

The ultimate wireless, computerless presentation remote for native Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.

A tremendous hit on all corporate, education and domestic markets. Huge halo effect!

Scarlet Fever
Jan 8, 2007, 02:20 AM
i need one. My Ericsson T290i is dying, and i need something smaller than my 5th Gen iPod to travel with. If they could combine the two (phone and iPod), i'll buy!

iPhone... psh.

I wasn't a member or a reader at the time, but i have read the famous Thread 500 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500), and similar comments were made ;)

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2007, 02:24 AM
Here it is with pictures. Built-in Mac OS X mobile:

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/communications/mobile_phone/evidence_mounts_for_january_iphone

http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=1
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=2
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=3

The ultimate wireless, computerless presentation remote for native Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.

A tremendous hit on all corporate, education and domestic markets. Huge halo effect!

I nominate that monstrosity for the worst interface evar award.

dashiel
Jan 8, 2007, 02:51 AM
I nominate that monstrosity for the worst interface evar award.

sorry, already taken (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/)

entropys
Jan 8, 2007, 04:22 AM

Or, Job's SE phone rings when he says "Just one more thing".

Irritated, he looks at who is calling and answers the phone "Bloody Larry, what do you want"
Larry Ellison: "Hi Steve, is the keynote over yet? Is there wailing and nashing of teeth over the fact there is no iphone?"

"No Larry, I haven't had a chance to tell them yet that phones suck, and that I am about to show them the next great thing. Get off the phone"

4np
Jan 8, 2007, 06:17 AM
Sounds like this may be the rumoured "multifunctional device" ?

Stella
Jan 8, 2007, 06:48 AM
People here are talking about PDA phones... going further than smartphones... hmmm... PDA phones ARE smartphones!! This is where the term smartphone originally came from - a phone with PDA capabilities.

There are already smartphones than do this AND play music well. Just because its not from Apple doesn't mean they aren't good.

If Apple can do a smartphone better than the rest, then I'd be very impressed.

dalvin200
Jan 8, 2007, 07:20 AM
Or, Job's SE phone rings when he says "Just one more thing".

Irritated, he looks at who is calling and answers the phone "Bloody Larry, what do you want"
Larry Ellison: "Hi Steve, is the keynote over yet? Is there wailing and nashing of teeth over the fact there is no iphone?"

"No Larry, I haven't had a chance to tell them yet that phones suck, and that I am about to show them the next great thing. Get off the phone"

sounds plausible if not cliched :p

cxny
Jan 8, 2007, 07:39 AM
I've been waiting so long for this kind of device that now I need glasses to see it and it's too much of a hassel!

Cooknn
Jan 8, 2007, 08:07 AM
I'm thinking about buying a Blackberry when I return home in just over a week. Come on Apple throw a wrench into my plans.it's gonna be hard to top my BlackBerry Pearl. I think I'll sit this one out...

Macula
Jan 8, 2007, 08:09 AM
Somehow I feel that we shall see a new device that will be:
- A stripped-down PDA (very basic functionality with beautiful simplicity)
- A stripped-down WiFi/iChat phone (same principle)
- iPod Nano music capabilities (I guess movies will have to wait until NAND memory is cheaper and larger)

Compile 'em all
Jan 8, 2007, 08:12 AM
- iPod Nano music capabilities (I guess movies will have to wait until NAND memory is cheaper and larger)

- A one hour battery life :p.

MatthewCobb
Jan 8, 2007, 08:14 AM

Don't forget how huge Blackberries are, and people like them! I'd want to add vPod full screen video with touch screen controls. There you are, a genuine multifunction device that would indeed get Steve all excited.

Compile 'em all
Jan 8, 2007, 08:14 AM
If Apple can do a smartphone better than the rest, then I'd be very impressed.

They already did it with mp3 players ;).

peharri
Jan 8, 2007, 08:15 AM

"So, a better interface for Leopard, and a new way to buy and watch movies, music, and all kinds of things, in our iMedia stand-alone system. One last thing. You know how hard it is to..."

A cellphone rings

"how hard it is to. Er. when you're editing a movie and..."

The phone has the most annoying ring-tone known to man. Finally, it answers. The audience member can be heard by a significant amount of the hall, including The Steve himself"

"Hello? Yeah. I'm at the keynote! Dude, this rocks, I'll tell you about it later."

Steve Jobs stares at the interloper.

"Security!

"Anyway, as I was saying, so you're trying to edit a movie in iMovie and..."

Something like that or did you mean something else? ;-)

Stella
Jan 8, 2007, 08:31 AM
They already did it with mp3 players ;).

They certinly did. Now, if Apple could replicate that with smartphones...

... and over take Nokia.

Now, *that* would be even more impressive.

Apple, the new Nokia.

dual64bit
Jan 8, 2007, 09:29 AM
I agree...

failsafe1
Jan 8, 2007, 09:54 AM
Hey here's an idea. The things in the future will be more futuristic than the things in the past!

Dalle
Jan 8, 2007, 10:14 AM
With the name change to MacBook, the unavailability of the name iPhone and the prospect of OSXLite the new device will of course be a

MacPhone

The i-Stuff naming is over-exposed and Mac-Stuff is easier to trademark defend.

Look for MacTVs, MacTablets, MacWatches, MacRollerscates, ...

Dalle.

Raidersmojo
Jan 8, 2007, 12:54 PM
more than likely what you guys are planning (which when the iphone speculation started I figured his phone would ring on stage and he'd answer like everyone else) it'd go along the lines of more of a tease

"leopard introduces a whole"

phone rings

he'll simply hit a button in his pocket and turn it off, the crowd awaiting some sort of iphone announcement gets restless and says "we want to see your phone!"

more than likely it'll ring once or twice during the keynote too and he'll shut it off and then keep going

you all know steve he'll keep us on the edge of our seat until we are about to explode then he'll go "here it is! available 2011"

Chris Bangle
Jan 8, 2007, 01:24 PM
So I take it Larrys gonna be there as hes good friends with steve. I like Larry ellisons house. Its always on fabulous life of...

kskill
Jan 8, 2007, 02:07 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if it plays portable videos games [like psp] that apple has been rumored to be developing.

but even if they just show off iTV and Leapord, tomorrow will be a fun day.

x13gamer
Jan 8, 2007, 02:35 PM
I'd like to see something like the blackberry from apple.

dante@sisna.com
Jan 8, 2007, 02:54 PM
I will immediately order an Apple Phone if one is released.

ksolano
Jan 8, 2007, 03:03 PM
a Rumour that hasnít been mentioned yet!! what do you all think about a BlueRay-DVD/R ready HD imac with HDMI from 20" all the way up to 30" with surround sound and enhanced front row...

The imac screens are already good for 720p, so its the next step in the evolution of the imac.. What do u think?

dnedved
Jan 8, 2007, 03:27 PM
I would love to see Apple do what Palm, MS, RIM, and everyone else can't - make a PDA that doesn't suck. Seriously, I've tried them all in the store, and I can't imagine devoting the pocket real estate to any of them. They seem useless to me. I smashed my Palm VX with a hammer when I got a Powerbook (long story involving ebay and an upgrade CD). Now that laptops can resume within a few seconds why bother with a PDA?

I'm thinking some sort of iChat / VOIP / .mac tie-in. They've got to make that stupid subscription service do something someday. Maybe make a device smart enough to use Airport when it's at home, then use 3g cellular for data connection to get back to the Apple servers when on the road. A mobile phone that isn't a mobile phone. That plus anywhere-IM, games, iPod, and fullscreen video functionality (iTV tie-in?) would get plenty of people to part with some cash. Oh yeah, with wireless headphones and wrist-watch remote -- that's not too much to ask is it? :)

Come-on Steve, the Intel switch was a very impressive feat to pull off in the timeframe you did it in, but it was B-O-R-I-N-G to the consumers. Wow us with something cool and innovative for old time's sake.

Stella
Jan 8, 2007, 06:00 PM
Boring?!!

Switching to Intel has done more for Apple than sticking with PPC ever did.

Now Apple have switched to Intel they've been able to realise vastly more exciting machines.

The switch has been anything BUT boring!

Come-on Steve, the Intel switch was a very impressive feat to pull off in the timeframe you did it in, but it was B-O-R-I-N-G to the consumers. Wow us with something cool and innovative for old time's sake.

Zwhaler
Jan 8, 2007, 06:54 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea for Apple to make their phone only work on one more network. Think of all the people that would buy it if they used all networks. Although I bet they could make money off of the 1 network that pays to make them be the only carrier.

Chef Medeski
Jan 8, 2007, 08:11 PM
Boring?!!

Switching to Intel has done more for Apple than sticking with PPC ever did.

Now Apple have switched to Intel they've been able to realise vastly more exciting machines.

The switch has been anything BUT boring!

Yes it has done more but nothing innovative. New chips is not an innovation. How about tablets, more flexibility. Better battery life. All they have done is Mag-safe. Honestly all the cool bell and whistles on a Macbook Pro are really old. Backlit keyboard.... ages ago. DVD burner? .... iSight is nice not really innovate but atleast that was SOMETHING NEW.... Expressslot... ur wowing me man.

Ive been more excited recently by Windows hardware. UMPCs. Tablet. Innovative ones in that. Media bays while old provide great flexibilty. Miniscule laptops. Fingerpring readers. Button for media playback without OS Boot. Second screen. Wi-fi finder when computer is off. Sepereate Wi-fi buttons. These are all nice things that usually someone like Apple innovates. They came out with shock resistant HDs. Color led in power. The backlit keyboard. Automatic adjusting backlight for the screen. Yet people have caught up and surpased. How about a spill-proof keyboard? I would love that. The wi-fi finder is great for not ahving to keep the computer on. I mean come on apple. Your Macbook Pro besides a different name hanst really gained MUCH of anythin besides intel chips and a name since Titanium Powerbooks were introduced, what 7 YEARS AGO? I'm sorry. 7 Years is too long for the same form factor with minor tweaks. Its time for something new. I really want to buy an Apple for my replacement laptop end of this semester. Yet I'm not merely buying a bigger, faster of my 12" for $2000. I rahter get a tablet or a superslim Windows for half that. Software aside that is. Come on apple, make people crave your hardware again. Or atleast bring it back up to the standard of the rest. Wi-fi finder. Spill-proof keyboard. These things cant be hard to implement, where are your developers?

know-it-all5
Jan 8, 2007, 08:17 PM
While I am keeping my fingers crossed, I have my doubts.

I guess we'll find out on Tuesday.

I understand what you mean. somehow, i have that voice in the back of my head telling me that im not gonna get what i want. Its depressing as hell to think about. tomorrow is gonna be the worst day ever, because i will be stuck without any knowledge of whats came out, till 330 eastern time. No computer equals no knowledge for me, which sucks. To be honest for what a next gen device would be.. I simply say with hope. A true video ipod that knocks the crap out of the new sansa and the creative zen and stuff.

NO IPHONE!!! (i will laugh my ass off when it isn't released)

sartinsauce
Jan 8, 2007, 09:50 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if it plays portable videos games [like psp] that apple has been rumored to be developing.

Maybe you missed it last year when games were released for the iPod?

NO IPHONE!!! (i will laugh my ass off when it isn't released)

Yah, me too. As much as I want an Apple phone. I think that at this point I would have more fun if Steve didn't announce or even acknowledge the phone rumors.

Steve may have stolen his own thunder by previewing the iTV last fall?

CTYankee
Jan 9, 2007, 02:18 AM
that would be amazing. if only...

~1:43 EST....

a456
Jan 9, 2007, 08:26 AM
just finished watching the most boring MS keynote ever...they presented not one new idea or fresh approach....i certainly hope that if apple does release an iphone it blows ms into the toilet....

Agreed. It looked like an uninspired and unimaginative pre-emptive strike on Apple's iTV from what I saw of it. You can't sit an XBOX 360 on top of a TV it's too damn big and too damn ugly. But they were trying to say 'don't buy iTV we have all these wonderful things and if you work hard enough and have the patience you can watch downloaded telly with our stuff too, so you don't need theirs'. I don't know if an iphone will blow MS in the toilet (er sorry, ... blow them into the toilet ... ), but I can't see a long term strategy from MS at the moment, it's all bits and pieces of stuff that don't seem to be profitable or logically connected or well advertised. MS do more adverts telling you how you can be inspired by their products than advertising the actual products, it's all so abstract. Whereas at the end of a Mac ad you see the Mac and within the Mac ad they talk about the software, etc. Having said that Apple need MS as the perfect model of how not to approach the market, and why they are right not to launch too many different product lines, etc.

Cooknn
Jan 9, 2007, 09:45 PM
it's gonna be hard to top my BlackBerry Pearl. I think I'll sit this one out...I'd like to retract that statement :o

I guess a quote from Steve's keynote might be appropriate - After today, I don't think anyone's gonna look at those phone's quite the same way....

I'm ruined! I gotta have an iPhone. See ya Pearl :D