PDA

View Full Version : Jobs Excited about Device, Keynote?

Pages : 1 [2]

freddiecable
Jan 8, 2007, 01:05 PM
agree - SE, Nokia and the others rarely if ever receives the same media exposer as apple gets. i also want to add that apple must release some kind of mobile phone'ing solution. Mobile phones will eat a big part of the mp3-player market eventually and apple can't ignore the exploding mobile communication revolution. apple has experience and competence developing mobile solutions/PDAs. now is the time to "re-enter". with the iPod-brand they will sell loads of "iPhones" - release one phone with less functionality/more style and one with more functionality/less style? This second "phone" could actually be the true iPod video with on-screen interface - double that with phone-cababilities...

leopard - release leopard for dell's, hp's etc. apple will sell with it's brand anyway. I will - for one - continue apple's "mac's" due to their unique implementation of hardware/software and design. by releasing osx for certified producers the os market share can vastly expand. it would not necessaraly cannibalize mac's sales.

regarding rumors - does anyone believe jobs will resign any time soon?

I still can't believe the media exposure that Apple has received on the iPhone - all while refusing to discuss it in any way. That must kill some spirits in the competition, and (hopefully) soon to be competition.

While I would love to see the iPhone and iTV I would also love to see Steve J announce something totally out of the blue.

The only thing that we know for sure is that we'll see iLife 07 and iWork 07. Everything after that is gravy.

MrFirework
Jan 8, 2007, 01:05 PM
Puting together a few rumors from this beautiful site I came up with this, sorry if someone else has already hit on this:

iTv will be introduced and (Rumor #1) using their partnership with Slingbox, can now send not only television to a mobile device, but also downloaded content from iTunes. The mobile device it will send it to will be the (rumor #2) "true" video ipod. Now a lot of people worried about the screen getting scratched, but this wouldn't be an issue because it will be made of Zircona (rumor #4). With the "virtual" clickwheel and interface all being software driven, it's as simple as tapping your iPod to turn it in to your mobile "iPhone" (rumor 5).

I think it all fits. The integration is so keenly Apple. The prospects of having all your media, all the time using your Mac, iTV and iPod would be revolutionary enough for Steve to invite his friends.

I donno... I think it's a possibility, and if it's true - I'm in.

Tomorrow...

fireworks501
Jan 8, 2007, 01:09 PM
time goes by... so slowly...

i don't know what to do...

every little thing that you say or do, i'm hung up, i'm hung up on you...

- - -

describes pre-macworld keynote forums activity quite well!

:mad: :) :D ;) :rolleyes: :confused: :cool: :eek: :o :(

SiliconAddict
An OS costs a ton of money in R&D + Windows isn't MS's cash cow. Office and support programs for Windows are.

Ummm yes it is. Windows + Office == MS's main money generator.

Rootman
Economics lesson? You started kinda well but ended up pretty badly...what you said has NOTHING to do with the definition of elasticity of demand, which is linked to the overall receptiveness to price changes...Elasticity puts the curve into the price/demand curve that defines profit when there is competition, as opposed to pricing dynamics that Microsoft (monopoly) currently faces.

e12a
"extremely anonymous" was just bugging me. You're either anonymous or not.

Its like saying "the facts are extremely concrete"

justflie
Jan 8, 2007, 01:10 PM
Puting together a few rumors from this beautiful site I came up with this, sorry if someone else has already hit on this:

iTv will be introduced and (Rumor #1) using their partnership with Slingbox, can now send not only television to a mobile device, but also downloaded content from iTunes. The mobile device it will send it to will be the (rumor #2) "true" video ipod. Now a lot of people worried about the screen getting scratched, but this wouldn't be an issue because it will be made of Zircona (rumor #4). With the "virtual" clickwheel and interface all being software driven, it's as simple as tapping your iPod to turn it in to your mobile "iPhone" (rumor 5).

I think it all fits. The integration is so keenly Apple. The prospects of having all your media, all the time using your Mac, iTV and iPod would be revolutionary enough for Steve to invite his friends.

Tomorrow...

Pretty please, steve. That would be such a winner device; I'm looking for a new cell phone and I think it's time to drop my 3g ipod in favor of *gasp* a color screen! :p

Donz0r
Jan 8, 2007, 01:11 PM
Doesn't ANYONE have a 3 year old Sony camera that happens to take 480 video?

I of course assume NOBODY has a real camera with HD+ to capture any of these "scoop" images.

Rocketman

Yes, perhaps we should all start carrying camcorders around with us...
Why would he record it with Anything besides a cell phone? I couldn't imagine any other scenario.

Xyl
Jan 8, 2007, 01:12 PM
Oh, no! -- you can't make money without substantial market share! Better sell my Apple stock! <pulls out remaining hair>

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Please don't twist my words. I never said you can't make money without substantial market share. I said you can't make MUCH MORE money (from selling OS X without the hardware) than their current annual revenues/net income without substantial market share.

edit: oops, I actually said "won't make lots more", but I think that's same thing as "can't make much more" anyways...

Multimedia
Jan 8, 2007, 01:14 PM
War for the '4th screen' (http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/07/yourmoney/mobile.php) John Markoff for the International Hearld Tribune.

I have a feeling this "Nuclear War" is going to be more like mud wrestling on Smack Down than a real danger to any of us. The hyperbole is really through the roof this time and I ain't buying any of it. :rolleyes:

I am not going to quit Verizon for any Apple phone no matter how cool it may be to the kids. I just want my 8 core Dual Clovertown Stoakley-Seaburg (http://techreport.com/etc/2006q4/clovertown/index.x?pg=1) Mac Pro please.

MrFirework
Jan 8, 2007, 01:14 PM

Tomorrow...

Hah - I found a lot of errors in that post, and I can't get in to edit my typos (i.e. rumor #1, #2, #4, and 5) hahah... sorry all!

Just got too excited!

xPismo
Jan 8, 2007, 01:18 PM
Ok, rumors are rumors but I'm in for a good show. If SJ shows:

True Video iPod, I'll buy.
iTV with a better name, I'll buy.
iPhone that works better than my current phone, I'll buy.

This sucks for my bank account, and the cash I have saved up for a MBP, but its really time to flip my old iPod, my s-video to my tv, and my iSync free phone.

Come on MWSF.

Oh, and I'll be there later that day to take a look for myself too. :)

GFLPraxis
Jan 8, 2007, 01:21 PM
You guys see those numbers at MacPoll saying 34% want an iPod Phone while only 17% want a Video iPod and 9% want an 8 core Mac Pro and only 5% want new displays? This culture is going INSANE. I do not get it. The voters here have got to NOT represent the masses out there - no other explanation for such flipped numbers.

Yes, they do. There are a lot more iPod users (70% of MP3 players are iPods, even most Windows users have iPods) than Mac users, and even most Mac users don't buy Apple's displays because of the high price tag.

The iPod is bound to get more votes.

non-prophet
Jan 8, 2007, 01:24 PM
I think we are missing the boat, folks.

Going way out on a limb just to fan the rumor fires even more... I do not believe Job's excitement has anything to do with a PRODUCT, that it is a "someone" and not a "something" that he is excited to introduce. In fact, if you think about it - he might even introduce TWO "someones".

"Ladies and gentlemen .... I give you ...."

- the iPod widescreen?
- the quad-processor Mac?
- the iPhone?

Think differently, folks.

The countdown continues, but if I am right about this --
The earth will rock ('n roll) all the way to Redmond, and you WILL NOT want to miss the keynote speech tomorrow!!!!

hint: FF-2

cyberlarson
Jan 8, 2007, 01:27 PM
So may I introduce to you the act you've known for all these years...

That's what I am thinking too. Jobs is a HUGE Beatles' fan.

BoyBach
Jan 8, 2007, 01:29 PM
Nokia released a 5mp camera phone-mp3 player-video recorder & video player with a 8gb harddrive. Qwerty keyboard, wifi, bluetooth, video talk capability.

O.k that means in order for apple to claim INNOVATIVE this time aroundf they will have to top what was released already.

But how easy is it to get MP3's onto the new Nokia phone and to get photos and movies off it? If the Apple phone rumours are true then that's where Apple can innovate the mobile phone sector, by providing a fully integrated hardware/software ecosystem that's easy to use.

mrmma
Jan 8, 2007, 01:30 PM
Has SetteB or anyone else tried to see if their GSM phones have any reception in the Moscone Centre?

If there really will be an iPhone demo-ed at this year's MacWorld, then there would need to be full reception at the Centre. Otherwise, if Job's whips out the phone and there's not reception...well...it just wouldn't look good.

I'm pretty sure there exist cellular amplification systems that would be pretty easy for the folks at Apple to set up to ensure good reception...

Maestro64
Jan 8, 2007, 01:34 PM
Has SetteB or anyone else tried to see if their GSM phones have any reception in the Moscone Centre?

If there really will be an iPhone demo-ed at this year's MacWorld, then there would need to be full reception at the Centre. Otherwise, if Job's whips out the phone and there's not reception...well...it just wouldn't look good.

Also, has anyone tailed any of the major wireless providers CEO's to see if they HAPPENED to be in San Fransisco? That may be a big indicator as to where this is going...

T-mobile or Cingular can install a repeater on the stage that will work for steve but no one else. T-mobile had to install a repeater in my build since reception sucked, now I get 5 bars.

BornAgainMac
Jan 8, 2007, 01:35 PM
I want that Apple Tricorder. Next year we will have the Tricorder Nano and Tricorder Mini. :D

Aeolius
Jan 8, 2007, 01:36 PM

Their stuff is highly overrated. ;) To be honest, I have never owned one of their albums. Granted, it'll be great for iTunes.

Stella
Jan 8, 2007, 01:37 PM
But how easy is it to get MP3's onto the new Nokia phone and to get photos and movies off it? If the Apple phone rumours are true then that's where Apple can innovate the mobile phone sector, by providing a fully integrated hardware/software ecosystem that's easy to use.

On my Nokia its very easy. It would be even easier if Nokia made a Mac desktop client for it like they do windows.

Like I said in a post somewhere else, this Apple cell phone will be all about style and ease of use. Oh, and mac capability ( as well as windows ). The Apple cell phone will need to have a good SDK that is 'easy' for development to encourage the much needed third party developer area.

There's already a Dashboard equilivent on Nokia phones so Apple can't claim that one!!

OmegaDelta
Jan 8, 2007, 01:37 PM
So if someone found out that info before tomorrow, that might an indicator of the "iPhone" launch.

Knowing the Apple team, that won't be easily known until it's too late, e.g. the KeyNote, but it's still a shot in the dark :p

Multimedia
Jan 8, 2007, 01:38 PM
I want that Apple Tricorder. Next year we will have the Tricorder Nano and Tricorder Mini. :DWhat's a Tricorder? Never heard of that word before.

robertnq
Jan 8, 2007, 01:39 PM
I am of course super excited about the Keynote as well, but don't get your hopes up too too high.....Steve was also quite excited about the iPod Hi-Fi.

The iPod Hi-Fi that sucker rocks...I was at BestBuy the other day and I had my iPod with me so I plugged it in and that it pounds hards....If I couldn't hook my iPod up to my stereo now I would have bought it....anyways.....from the rumors though its said that he hasnt been this excited since the macintosh....but we will just have to wait and see....:eek:

Maestro64
Jan 8, 2007, 01:40 PM
I don't see Steve selling OSX on generic hardware.

The only reason that people are giving for this scenario is the "Market Share" gain. Apple could care less about market share, it's all about profits and staying a viable company.

Has everyone already forgotten what Steve said when he came back to Apple?

It's not about Apple vs. Microsoft anymore. It's about Apple being the best at what they do. What is it that they do best? It's all about the user experience, end to end. You won't get the Apple experience by building your killer AMD system and making OSX run on it. Period.

Now someone who knows what they are saying, Apple is doing the classic business strategy which is if you can not compete in someone elses sand box create your own sand box and make others compete in yours. Apple has carved out its own market and will continue to do so and force everyone else to chase them. This tiny little market they carved out will make them over $20 billion last year and they have $10 billion sitting in the bank not too many companies can say this.

BoyBach
Jan 8, 2007, 01:40 PM
I just would like to share some thoughts with you, after having talked to SJ yesterday...he told me the following things will appear tomorrow, in the sequence described below:

1st hour -

1 - State of all things Mac;

2 - Leopard preview;

3 - Updated Minis with Core 2 Duo;

4 - New MBP 12/13";

5 - And one more thing for Macs...30th Anniversary Mac (Frogdesign form factor and extreme GPU);

2nd hour -

6 - State of all things iPod;

7 - New movies at iTMS and Beatles catalog;

8 - iTV;

9 - and one more thing...the iPod Phone!

What? No iLife or iWork update? :eek:

Goldfinger
Jan 8, 2007, 01:41 PM
What's a Tricorder? Never heard of that word before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricorder

goosnarrggh
Jan 8, 2007, 01:41 PM
Elasticity puts the curve into the price/demand curve that defines profit when there is competition, as opposed to pricing dynamics that Microsoft (monopoly) currently faces.

Ah but there is competition. Until at least 2008, Windows Vista will have to compete with... Windows XP.

WinXP SP3 is scheduled for release some time in 1H2008; minor security fixes will undoubtedly continue to be pushed out the door for SP2 on a regular basis at least until then.

The vast majority of the installed base already has Windows XP preinstalled on their systems, and if the Windows98/ME/XP transition is any indication, most of those computers will stay that way at least until mainstream XP security support is phased out or the computer hardware is replaced.

And that raises another issue of Microsoft pricing... The licenses of Windows XP which MS sells to OEMs is severely discounted. Something like $69, if memory serves me correctly from the last time I bought the minimum legal definition of "new hardware" and asked the clerk to throw in a copy. That's the price that Apple will have to compete against if they want to capture the new-system market, either preinstalled or do-it-yourself.

Stella
Jan 8, 2007, 01:42 PM

Bull.

:-)

CJD2112
Jan 8, 2007, 01:42 PM
According to sources such as The Wall Street Journal, Jobs' health has been on the decline for a while. The buzz in many circles "in the know" is that Steve Jobs will be announcing his retirement and possibly introducing his replacement, although that might not be for a while yet. Perhaps this is why he has invited close friends and family and [one of] the many reasons for the lengthier than normal key notes address. Beyond which are the rumors that Leopard will not be 10.5 but rather a whole new OS [as defined by the "unreleased" secrets] either branded a new name, XI, or something entirely different to kick off Apple's "new beginning". The mobile device, better known as "iPhone", may or may not be released under iMobile and iMobile Pro. These "all-in-one" mobile devices may combine cell phones with ipod music/video playing capabilities, a 16:9 touch screen as depicted by previous patents with "touch buttons" along the parimeter, camera/web camera for pics and video conferencing, a smaller version of the yet-to-be released "Leopard" OS along with OS integration into either Mac or PC, iTunes with full featured movies for large screen viewing along with the use or torrents for downloading, etc. New '07 suites iLife and iWork with spreadsheet and word processing applications may be announced as a full alternative to Microsoft Office. Tomorrow will tell :cool:

Peace
Jan 8, 2007, 01:43 PM
According to sources such as The Wall Street Journal, Jobs' health has been on the decline for a while. The buzz in many circles "in the know" is that Steve Jobs will be announcing his retirement and possibly introducing his replacement, although that might not be for a while yet. Perhaps this is why he has invited close friends and family and [one of] the many reasons for the lengthier than normal key notes address. Beyond which are the rumors that Leopard will not be 10.5 but rather a whole new OS [as defined by the "unreleased" secrets] either branded a new name, XI, or something entirely different to kick off Apple's "new beginning". The mobile device, better known as "iPhone", may or may not be released under iMobile and iMobile Pro, "all-in-one" mobile devices combining cell phones, ipod music/video playing capabilities, 16:9 touch screen as depicted by previous patents with "touch buttons" around a screen, camera/web camera for pics and video conferencing, a smaller version of the yet-to-be released "Leopard" OS along with OS integration into either Mac or PC, iTunes with full featured movies for large screen viewing along with the use or torrents for downloading, etc. New '07 suites iLife and iWork with spreadsheet and word processing applications may be announced as a full alternative to Microsoft Office may be introduced as well. Tomorrow will tell :cool:

FYI:

Last years MWSF Keynote was scheduled for 2 hours also.

GFLPraxis
Jan 8, 2007, 01:44 PM
There seems to be too much to fit into one keynote.

Leopard needs to be introduced, "secret features" and all.

iLife '07. iWork '07. iTV. Regular system updates (Mac Pro? Mac Mini?). iPhone.

I like people like you, SeriousGamer007 and them kind of people. They're like super hype generators.

Oh, and my guess? OS11 (XI?) is announced. Leopard to be the last OSX perhaps?
Though actually I doubt this myself. Seeing how advanced OSX is for the hardware its running on.

Nah. He's not going to announce OS 11 because people will then hold off buying Leopard.

He did say OS X would be the technology driving Macs for the next ten years, back in 2000...

Yeah, them super hype generators irritate me as well. I wonder whatever happened to SG007...

Interestingly however, my local CompUSA has been dried up on iMacs for over a week. Absolutely none of them. Could there be an update there? I don't know...seems too early.

I'm hoping for a Mac Mini update though. The $799 model isn't worth the $200 upgrade. The .2 GHz faster processor, +20 GB hard drive space, and DVD burner? DVD burner drives barely cost more than combo drives these days. Apple must get huge margins on it.

mowogg
Jan 8, 2007, 01:44 PM
How come nobody has scooped some grainy shots of an iPhone or iTiVo in an elevator or back-hall this year?

Everybody's so tight-lipped, Apple must be paying a lot to keep the iLife updates under wraps. Has anybody checked out the cover of this week's Time magazine? That's usually a good spoiler as they frequently have Steve on the cover holding the iWhatever. It all seems so quiet for 22 hours before the main event.
Come on people, start looking!

cutemartin
Jan 8, 2007, 01:54 PM
So may I introduce to you the act you've known for all these years...

That's what I am thinking too. Jobs is a HUGE Beatles' fan.

Last week's iChat was just a prelude to the really big event that will change the world. The appearance of Paul and Ringo onstage will be completely overshadowed by the surprise they receive when they are connected live to John and George via iChatouija:eek: :D

WilliamLondon
Jan 8, 2007, 01:55 PM
What if, of all things, the big announcement is NOT hardware?

What if the big announcement, of all things, is a retail version of OS X for the common PC?! It would be a huge transition, but one that is PERFECTLY timed. Apple has let people use windows on its machines, it has the right machines, and now has some idea of how to keep its sales will stand up against computers that can now be basically compared to one another apples to apples.

Interesting, but unlikely. Apple makes its money on hardware - Apple software is designed to sell more hardware. Moving to a software model would require a big shift in their business model. It'd be hard to keep a change like that under wraps given the changes required to make it run well from day one. But certainly fun to imagine unseating the beast in Redmond! :-)

kresh
Jan 8, 2007, 01:55 PM
Last week's iChat was just a prelude to the really big event that will change the world. The appearance of Paul and Ringo onstage will be completely overshadowed by the surprise they receive when they are connected live to John and George via iChatouija:eek: :D

It just can't be!

Paul is dead, he is the walrus!!!

:) :eek: :)

jfmartin
Jan 8, 2007, 01:56 PM
Hi,

Here are my prediction of the keynote by Steve tomorrow at MWSF 2007:

Macworld 2007 - SF

Past quarter numbers - outstanding !!!

Mac hardware

new displays with iSight, displays will work with iTV
Mac Pro - core 2 quad

Mac software

iLife 07
iWork 07 (new spreadsheet)
Leopard démo + lunch date set + secret features revealed

iPod+itunes plateform

"State of the union"
New Movie studios content
Lyrics in iTunes songs
iTunes 7.1
iTV lunch but ship in Feb (requires iTunes 7.1) - named under the iPod umbrella like the iPod HiFi....
iPod video (6th generation)
iPod software refresh for iPod 5th and 5.5th generation

sorry, but no iPhone yet... iPod video more related to iTV and in need for a refresh...

The iPhone will be part of a special event in feb or march '07

Jan 8, 2007, 01:57 PM
I think we are missing the boat, folks.

Going way out on a limb just to fan the rumor fires even more... I do not believe Job's excitement has anything to do with a PRODUCT, that it is a "someone" and not a "something" that he is excited to introduce. In fact, if you think about it - he might even introduce TWO "someones".

"Ladies and gentlemen .... I give you ...."

- the iPod widescreen?
- the quad-processor Mac?
- the iPhone?

Think differently, folks.

The countdown continues, but if I am right about this --
The earth will rock ('n roll) all the way to Redmond, and you WILL NOT want to miss the keynote speech tomorrow!!!!

Hehehe, maybe SJ will come out and say..."and one more thing...I am stepping down and my fella Bill Gates is taking over as Apple CEO...I am sure he will continue our track of innovation with irreproachable performance!" ;)

shunpike
Jan 8, 2007, 01:59 PM
Hi,

Macworld 2007 - SF

Mac hardware

Mac Pro - core 2 quad

Mac software

iLife 07

iPod+itunes plateform

"State of the union"
Lyrics in iTunes songs
iTunes 7.1
iTV lunch but ship in Feb (requires iTunes 7.1) - named under the iPod umbrella like the iPod HiFi....

sorry, but no iPhone yet... iPod video more related to iTV and in need for a refresh...

well thought out - but notice hardly any iPod rumours recently so maybe it won't materialise? - other than that i agree - and i'd invite close friends to see me announce all this (if i was SJ which i'm not) ;) ;)

Jan 8, 2007, 01:59 PM
What? No iLife or iWork update? :eek:

Ah ja, I forgot...file it under item 5.5... ;)

abadr
Jan 8, 2007, 02:00 PM
lol!

I'm rating somewhere around 2 kilotons at the moment, just one more
spark of a rumor and I'm off.

I need to ask. Has anyone ever heard of an instance of a Mac user having a heart attack from getting overly excited about a Mac event?

Seriously because I think someone is going to explode before Tuesday. http://home.comcast.net/~jonnormand/icons/posting.php_files/new_microwave.gif

I just hope there is no one else around, because if this teasing continues my numbers suggest they will take out half a block. Never underestimate the energy released from a hyped up Mac fan. :D

backtothefuture
Jan 8, 2007, 02:06 PM
I'll throw in my cents for all the hype around MWSF. First off, I'm a little hesitant when I hear of Jobs to super excited of some new product. I love Apple, but Jobs could be so far ahead of the curve that we get a product that is to far ahead of our time? Or maybe a product that is so far off the deep end that everyone is left stunned- in a bad way? It is wishful thinking (maybe death wishful thinking), but does anyone else have this fear? Speaking of fears- I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for my true video iPod. I could care less about the iPhone, because like most people, I have a cell phone that works fairly well, and Apple really cant bring much innovation to a cell phone. It either makes calls or it doesnt. The smart thing to do would be to release a device (prayers for the true video iPod) that makes cell phone calls, and has other extra features, such as an updated Newton that makes cell calls. Releasing a cell phone that has the Apple logo on it isnt a great idea in the long run, and neither is releasing an iPod that makes cell phone calls.

DavidLeblond
Jan 8, 2007, 02:07 PM
Everyone seems so sure of iLife '07 coming out.... any thoughts as to what it will include?

Come to think of it, what was so great about iLife '05? I bought it but even I can't remember exactly why....??

Peace
Jan 8, 2007, 02:09 PM
Everyone seems so sure of iLife '07 coming out.... any thoughts as to what it will include?

Come to think of it, what was so great about iLife '05? I bought it but even I can't remember exactly why....??

BEST post to date..

tallyho
Jan 8, 2007, 02:11 PM
In the UK they've just changed the way the singles chart is compiled so that any downloaded track counts (before there was a rule that it had to be available as a physical CD single), and at the bottom of this BBC page it says EMI are considering releasing the Beatles' catalogue as downloads, virtually guaranteeing a top 10 entirely made up of their songs:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6239415.stm
So...tomorrow could well see Beatles on iTunes...

dernhelm
That certainly is morbid and horrible thing to say about anyone. :mad:

I wasn't saying SJ will look that way - I was saying there will be a ton of posts all worried about him for no reason. There seems to be after every single keynote. It's almost like the guy won't be allowed to age.

I personally think he is fine and wish him all health. Sorry if you took it otherwise.

jfmartin
well thought out - but notice hardly any iPod rumours recently so maybe it won't materialise? - other than that i agree - and i'd invite close friends to see me announce all this (if i was SJ which i'm not) ;) ;)

Well, the 6th gen ipod will be the surprise coupled with the iTV box....

Also, some sort of Apple with other company relationship will be announced... Apple + Google ?

JF Martin

BoyBach
Jan 8, 2007, 02:13 PM

Coverflow. Everywhere.

Stella

Didn't it include garageband?

I remember SJ went on and on and on about G/b... so boring.

backtothefuture

I think iLife 05 had the coolest looking box out of all the iLifes- it was the green flower bud, with iLife written in a pale blue. iLife 06 has an ugly box, which in the Mac world is reason enough not to buy a product.

Peace
Jan 8, 2007, 02:14 PM
Well, the 6th gen ipod will be the surprise coupled with the iTV box....

Also, some sort of Apple with other company relationship will be announced... Apple + Google ?

JF Martin

The CEO of Google is on Apple's Board.So I'd say an Apple/Google partnership already exists.

pyramid6
Here is what I think will come out.

Upgraded iWorks(w/ new spreadsheet)
Upgraded iLife
Upgraded Displays
Upgraded Mac Pros(w/ quad proc.)
Leapord preview
New smaller MacBook Pro

And "one more thing"-tm:

A tricorder. I'm serious. They will come out with a powerful but small computer.

One that can do just about everything, and has god networking.

pknz
..and boom!

pyramid6
Jan 8, 2007, 02:16 PM
The CEO of Google is on Apple's Board.So I'd say an Apple/Google partnership already exists.

Let's not forget who owns YouTube. It could go well with iTV.

psychofreak
Jan 8, 2007, 02:18 PM

Upgraded iLife
Upgraded Displays
Leapord preview
New smaller MacBook Pro

And "one more thing"-tm:

A tricorder. I'm serious. They will come out with a powerful but small computer.

They have quad now, I guess you mean octo...

brepublican
Jan 8, 2007, 02:18 PM

Upgraded iLife
Upgraded Displays
Leapord preview
New smaller MacBook Pro

And "one more thing"-tm:

You're spot on with a few of them, but mainly cos you're just stating the obvious. Same with new quad processor

And the last item, I'm just gonna go ahead and call BS :rolleyes:

DavidLeblond
Jan 8, 2007, 02:19 PM
Didn't it include garageband?

I remember SJ went on and on and on about G/b... so boring.

It included Garageband, but then again so did iLife '04. ;)

I just looked and saw that iLife '05 introduced iMovie HD. Which I never used.

STILL wondering why I bought it... I know there must have been SOMETHING that made me drop $80... then again, I wasn't married back then so I was a little looser with my money... hmm...

Oh well, iLife '07 will probably have like 1 addition to each of the apps and I will buy it and then ask everyone in 2009 "why exactly did I buy iLife '07??"

BenRoethig
Jan 8, 2007, 02:23 PM

Wow, there is one person on this planet who has to familiarity with Star Trek at all.

backtothefuture
Jan 8, 2007, 02:24 PM
Oh well, iLife '07 will probably have like 1 addition to each of the apps and I will buy it and then ask everyone in 2009 "why exactly did I buy iLife '07??"

I think we will all be doing that.

pyramid6
Jan 8, 2007, 02:24 PM
They have quad now, I guess you mean octo...
I meant the updated proccessors

You're spot on with a few of them, but mainly cos you're just stating the obvious. Same with new quad processor

And the last item, I'm just gonna go ahead and call BS :rolleyes:

Yes, they obvious.

And why BS? A lot of people want a more powerful computer in there pocket.
Add networking, and you basicly have a tricorder.

geerlingguy
Jan 8, 2007, 02:25 PM
Hehehe, maybe SJ will come out and say..."and one more thing...I am stepping down and my fella Bill Gates is taking over as Apple CEO...I am sure he will continue our track of innovation with irreproachable performance!" ;)

Well... Bill won't be working full-time at Microsoft anymore, come 2008 (although he'll do some part-time work). Perhaps he found a job opening at Apple. But I don't think CEO would fit him well - he's too boring and 'uncharismatic.'

Long live the SteveNote™!

mowogg
Jan 8, 2007, 02:26 PM
I still think 42 and 50 inch HDTVs with an embedded Mac Mini and iTV is a possibility. Apple could announce a partnership with Vizio for this.

Also, iLife will have iWeb 2.0, but you already know that. How about iLife for Windows?

Seriously, I think the majority of the keynote will be Leopard demos. And I don't think there will be a phone.

Aniej
Jan 8, 2007, 02:29 PM
I'll throw in my cents for all the hype around MWSF. First off, I'm a little hesitant when I hear of Jobs to super excited of some new product. I love Apple, but Jobs could be so far ahead of the curve that we get a product that is to far ahead of our time? Or maybe a product that is so far off the deep end that everyone is left stunned- in a bad way? It is wishful thinking (maybe death wishful thinking), but does anyone else have this fear? Speaking of fears- I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for my true video iPod. I could care less about the iPhone, because like most people, I have a cell phone that works fairly well, and Apple really cant bring much innovation to a cell phone. It either makes calls or it doesnt. The smart thing to do would be to release a device (prayers for the true video iPod) that makes cell phone calls, and has other extra features, such as an updated Newton that makes cell calls. Releasing a cell phone that has the Apple logo on it isnt a great idea in the long run, and neither is releasing an iPod that makes cell phone calls.

Ok yes I like my little conspiracy theories, I can't help it; I was in law enforcement and now in law school. I will be Mac Rumor's conspiracy guy, I'm ok with that;)

With that said, I think this post is a bit odd not for the desire to see a true video iPod or not super interested in the iPhone, we have heard different people on these matters before. What I find odd is how it is all presented and how it reads. It comes across as a convenient and out of place critique of Jobs and the market potential for an iPhone type of device, thereby lending itself nicely to a source of fodder for some of the smaller newspapers, even some larger media sources, and websites that look to discount Apple and the continued progress the company is making.

I can't perfectly place my finger on it, but the tone and the nature of the posting strike me as unusual, something potentially attributable to a new mac user intrigued by MWSF. But, that seems less likely when coupled with the Newton reference, which while by no means a secret, clearly is not the typical reference a new mac user would make. Similarly, the signup date and posting level (today, just one post, this one) is what, for me, sealed the deal that there was something up with the the intent behind this post. http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=94712

Edit: strike that he now has two posts, I think we will all be doing that. replying to:

Just my thoughts. I must now quickly return to the safe room and barricade the doors and put on my tinfoil hat, Mr. Gates is coming for me haha.

peharri
Jan 8, 2007, 02:32 PM
Well... Bill won't be working full-time at Microsoft anymore, come 2006 (although he'll do some part-time work). Perhaps he found a job opening at Apple. But I don't think CEO would fit him well - he's too boring and 'uncharismatic.'

Long live the SteveNote™!

Good point. Hmmm, perhaps they'll pick someone from their own board, someone who knows a great deal about the Internet. Al Gore?

Morris
Jan 8, 2007, 02:34 PM

Or Apple and Sun?

peharri
Jan 8, 2007, 02:34 PM
Remember folks, even the idea that Steve is "excited" by whatever he's announcing tomorrow is a rumour.

Tinhead
Jan 8, 2007, 02:35 PM
I think iLife 05 had the coolest looking box out of all the iLifes- it was the green flower bud, with iLife written in a pale blue. iLife 06 has an ugly box, which in the Mac world is reason enough not to buy a product.

Phew, I thought I was the only one. A new package design might just be the best improvement in '07 ;)

Data
Jan 8, 2007, 02:35 PM
On my Nokia its very easy. It would be even easier if Nokia made a Mac desktop client for it like they do windows.

Since no one does that i'm hoping for an apple phone for years now , tomorow might be that day were it comes true ;-)

Jan 8, 2007, 02:40 PM
Good point. Hmmm, perhaps they'll pick someone from their own board, someone who knows a great deal about the Internet. Al Gore?

Bingo!!! That's the guy! :D

"Oh, and one more thing...Bill, my fella, you got a coupon for a free eye surgery, so you can get rid of your bold glasses forever!! Imagine the possibilities..!"

appleguy
Jan 8, 2007, 02:45 PM
Ok I havent read all the posts
but I have heard through a friend that is Steve Jobs Neighbours Cousin Boyfriend's mum
That there is a G5 Powerbook Coming :p

steve_hill4
Jan 8, 2007, 02:49 PM

I expect iLife 07 will be more of an update than anything major. I would have thought a larger potential iPhoto library along with maybe a few more editing features within. Updated support in iMovie/iDVD etc. iWork will receive a bit more of a change with finally a spreadsheet app and increased features sets for Pages and Keynote. Leopard preview goes without saying.

Hardware wise, I would expect to see an iTalk, new Displays, Octo core Mac Pro, Airport updates, iSight and possibly even new iPods, including the Widescreen Video iPod. New iMacs, MacBook Pros and Minis will come in Spring with Santa Rosa and Leopard pre-installed. Long shot, iTablet device too.

Edit: To explain my reasoning for new iPods, even though I don't see it and it could be down to the holiday break, most stores I know here have been out of almost every model nano and all 30-80GB models too. All we have had of late, (the last 10 days), is the pink 4GB, black 8GB and the shuffle.

shecky
Jan 8, 2007, 02:49 PM
have not seen this posted yet; 10 people whose reputations rest on the release of an apple cell phone (http://applecredibility.blogspot.com/2007/01/10-people-whose-reputations-rest-on.html)

Peel
Jan 8, 2007, 02:52 PM
It all seems so quiet for 22 hours before the main event.
The calm before the storm.

The calmer it seems at Apple, the bigger the upcoming storm;)

thejadedmonkey
Jan 8, 2007, 02:57 PM
Pretty please, steve. That would be such a winner device; I'm looking for a new cell phone and I think it's time to drop my 3g ipod in favor of *gasp* a color screen! :p

Hey, I'm in the same exact boat and I want a new iPhone too!

I don't see Steve selling OSX on generic hardware.

The only reason that people are giving for this scenario is the "Market Share" gain. Apple could care less about market share, it's all about profits and staying a viable company.

Has everyone already forgotten what Steve said when he came back to Apple?

It's not about Apple vs. Microsoft anymore. It's about Apple being the best at what they do. What is it that they do best? It's all about the user experience, end to end. You won't get the Apple experience by building your killer AMD system and making OSX run on it. Period.

I can attest to that, first hand

steve_hill4
Jan 8, 2007, 02:59 PM

I find a lot of the rumours in the last six hours are fairly accurate, before that it is either wildly off or there is nothing.

It is however lots of fun.

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2007, 03:06 PM
Oh, no! -- you can't make money without substantial market share! Better sell my Apple stock! <pulls out remaining hair>

It’s a valid point. In the case of the Mac Apple is making a MAJOR killing off their hardware. Substantially better then the cutthroat prices that PC manufacturers are selling their wares at.
The two reasons I never expect Apple to EVER release OS X for the generic PC is two fold. First is drivers and support. Both of these things are expensive overheads to the OS. Apple as it stands has to support a very small, very specific set of hardware parameters. Granted its grown since the release of OS X on Intel but compared to the PC industry in its entirety its a drop in the ocean. The minute Apple releases OS X for PC generica they run into the same problems that MS runs into. Namely driver hell. Apple doesn't want to get into that. Nor do they want to hand the responsibility of the stability of OS X over to companies like Dell. Because drivers can and frequently do make or break a systems stability.
The second reason is also pretty obvious. Apple makes most of their money on the hardware. The minute they release OS X into the wild for the generic PC they will no doubt start raking in money hand over fist. The problem isn't now. The problem is in 2, 5, 10 years where OS X has saturated the market just like Windows has. In Microsoft's case they are having a DANG hard time convincing people to upgrade because for many, like myself, XP/2K is a perfectly fine OS. Once Apple has saturated the market sales will start to slow. It’s better for Apple to be in the position that they are and have nowhere to go but up instead of hitting a concrete ceiling. People need to realize that PC users aren’t Mac users. They would buy Tiger and then sit on it until the system dies. At which time they would upgrade their hardware and their OS. Apple’s formula is perfectly fine.

yoak
Jan 8, 2007, 03:09 PM
Tried not to get worked up about the Keynote this year, but hanging out here makes it kind of hard. I hope for a smart phone, but I´m not to sure it will see the light of day tomorrow

backtothefuture
Jan 8, 2007, 03:12 PM
Similarly, the signup date and posting level (today, just one post, this one) is what, for me, sealed the deal that there was something up with the the intent behind this post.

Well I find your reply flattering.

Once Apple has saturated the market sales will start to slow. It’s better for Apple to be in the position that they are and have nowhere to go but up instead of hitting a concrete ceiling.

Perfectly put. Someone posted earlier about if you cant play in someone elses sandbox, invent your own for people to play in. With OS X run on Apple machines, Jobs and the board are in control. As soon as they release it to outside parties, they give control of the sandbox up to us, the consumers, which sounds oh so nice and neat, but is a horrible business decision and in the long run would bring havoc to the Apple name. I'm sure we all know of brand recongintion; when you buy an Apple, you buy a piece of the culture, too. We like using Apple- it makes us feel creative, smart, hip, "in the know", better than our PC friends. If Apple released OS X to PCs, Apple would become like Microsoft- bloated for lack of a better word, and there wouldnt be any "special club" feelings for its users. The iPod (and possible NewtonPhone) is just enough Apple to give PC users a taste of what they are missing, while still maintaining their minority appeal.

Karpfish
Jan 8, 2007, 03:30 PM
I'm in need of a new iPod, so if we get a true video one that would be great, but I also told myself i would save for an 85 1.4:confused:

bowens
Jan 8, 2007, 03:33 PM
I've got a 1g iPod shuffle and a 4 year old Motorola Nextel phone, so I could upgrade both. I have been thinking about switching to Cingular, so if the rumors are true about the iPhone supporting Cingular, that would be awesome.

peharri
Jan 8, 2007, 03:38 PM
So Apple releases the "Mobile Me", with the following spec:

8Gb or 16Gb Flash
Touchscreen
Slide-out keyboard (Ink too)
Roughly the same size as an iPod nano when closed.
1.2MP (or better) camera
GSM/EDGE (or perhaps UMTS)
Bluetooth and all that kind of thing
"Mac OS X Lite" (ie this is intended to be a pocket, always connected, computer, not just a music player in a phone)

Seems reasonable. Nice idea. Might even work.

Mac OS X Lite seems very probable, BTW, I'd expect that to be used for the iTV too. Don't think it's not possible, NEXTSTEP ran in 16Mb without any problems. Given the amount of "junk" in Mac OS X (Carbon, Classic, full Quicktime, the iApps, thousands of device drivers, etc, plus high resolution deep colour graphic images all over the place), it's not hard to see how something approaching NEXTSTEP's usage requirements with a modern look would be possible. It'd also be easy for Apple to hide a project like that, it could have been running since the Rhapsody days. Would certainly explain the presense of Ink.

Now, here's the point at which I expect the real gasps. Not good gasps either:

Price $999 (w/8Gb flash)

Reasonable price, especially for Apple. No, really, it is. You know full well that it isn't going to be the same price as a mix of the internals of an iPod nano with the internals of a $50 Nokia phone. This is a premium product. If Steve's excited by it, it's going to be good, good enough to sell at more than you want them to price it at.

And it'll sell too, like the iPod did at $399. Like the iPod mini did for $250.

Are you all still willing to replace your three year old Sony Ericsson with this, or are you going to go out and get a KRZR or RIZR? (about $300 if unlocked, less if subsidized. Can't say anything about the KRZR but I got my wife a RIZR (that's with an "I") this Christmas and she loves it. Anyway, there are also a lot of good Nokias out there. I'm sure there's a decent Sony Ericsson somewhere too, heh.)

Is this even in the same market as a cellphone, or is it more a Nokia 9xxx done "right"?

The ultimate pocket computer, for a price somewhat higher than estimated (that's always the case.) It's not a cellphone, unless you want it to be one. If you're one of the people posting "BRING ON TEH iPHONE!!!1!" or "I'm going to @$%! MYSELF if I don't get an IPOD PHONE!!!?!?!!!", are you going to be happy with the above?

DavoMrMac
Jan 8, 2007, 03:52 PM
So Apple releases the "Mobile Me", with the following spec:

8Gb or 16Gb Flash
Touchscreen
Slide-out keyboard (Ink too)
Roughly the same size as an iPod nano when closed.
1.2MP (or better) camera
GSM/EDGE (or perhaps UMTS)
Bluetooth and all that kind of thing
"Mac OS X Lite" (ie this is intended to be a pocket, always connected, computer, not just a music player in a phone)

Sounds very nice, but I think it would have to be slightly bigger than a Nano to be useful. Perhaps a little larger in size than the full size iPod.

Macula
Jan 8, 2007, 03:52 PM

I don't know... all this uncanny quiet only a few hours before the event... we are in for a major disappointment.

uNext
Jan 8, 2007, 03:55 PM
People please, thats not fair how you make fun of the person that single handedly created the internet.

If it wasnt for AL Gore we all woulndt be here.

backtothefuture
Jan 8, 2007, 04:06 PM
I don't know... all this uncanny quiet only a few hours before the event... we are in for a major disappointment.

Jobs: (After releasing "major" upgrades to iLife, iWork, and new displays) And one more thing...Ladies and Gentleman, the updated iPod Hi Fi. In reality, all we did was make it louder. But you can buy it in black now! To match the new, brighter screen (10% brighter!) "updated" iPod. Which still rests on top of the machine.

Then he's going to announce his retirement:
"I'm outta here, suckas!"
And he's going to run out of the room, with fresh $100s in his lands, laughing.

geerlingguy
Jan 8, 2007, 04:07 PM
People please, thats not fair how you make fun of the person that single handedly created the internet.

So true. I would probably be doing something productive right now...

:D

JGowan
Jan 8, 2007, 04:13 PM
"A reliable person I know but won't name says Steve's excited"

#1: The CULT OF MAC doofus cannont be trusted for anything. He is a total counter-hit hound and will say whatever to get them.

#2: It's the January Macworld show, of course he's excited. 10.5 is about to be released. They can talk more freely about features/look/etc and not worry Vista will steal (at the moment) due to it being in the wild now.

#3: Sales are awesome

Who needs that WIRED fool?

ClimbingTheLog
Jan 8, 2007, 04:22 PM
According to sources such as The Wall Street Journal, Jobs' health has been on the decline for a while. The buzz in many circles "in the know" is that Steve Jobs will be announcing his retirement and possibly introducing his replacement, although that might not be for a while yet

Maybe he's leaving Apple with an endowment to make Mac OS X free for everybody, including PC users so they can focus on hardware as a profit center.

:p

stealthboy
Jan 8, 2007, 04:23 PM
Jobs: (After releasing "major" upgrades to iLife, iWork, and new displays) And one more thing...Ladies and Gentleman, the updated iPod Hi Fi. In reality, all we did was make it louder. But you can by it in black now!

Look closely at the volume knob. See what we did there? We made it go up to 11.

ClimbingTheLog
Jan 8, 2007, 04:24 PM
Bingo!!! That's the guy! :D

Gawd! Can you imagine the keynotes?!?! ! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

He'd make Gil Amelio look like a genius!

MacsAttack
Jan 8, 2007, 04:25 PM

As with everything... context is important. Some interesting reading - on the internet :D

http://sethf.com/gore/

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200009/msg00052.html

ClimbingTheLog
Jan 8, 2007, 04:25 PM
Or Apple and Sun?

Nawww, that Apple in front of the Sun teaser is just a coincidence. With Java going GPL and the CTO at Sun headed for greener pastures.

rcm3
Jan 8, 2007, 04:31 PM
However long it takes.... i'm holding on to my bare-bones phone until the release of the apple product.

Jan 8, 2007, 04:33 PM

Just read this on AppleNova forums...if it's true, we might be in for a REAL treat...bigger than the Apple II, bigger than the Mac, bigger than the iPod...the TABLET reinvented for success...move over, Bill..!

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=21726

:rolleyes:

brepublican
Jan 8, 2007, 04:35 PM

Ha ha. Funny :D

Maybe the long awaited 'Zune Killer' we've all been waiting for? Cos we all know the Zune is like 73.3% of the ***** mp3 market... :rolleyes:

macmike47
Jan 8, 2007, 04:36 PM
The way I look at it, Steve never fails to impress. He knows what goes on in Apple Rumor land. And with the latest banners. I'm convinced there'll be something no-one coulda guessed.

mazola
Jan 8, 2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah, well Jobs also thought a leather iPod sock was 'fun'.

GregA
Jan 8, 2007, 04:38 PM
We're hearing rumours of the iPhone... but I wonder if this is similar to the iPod video of 2 years ago...

What I mean is, rather than getting an iPod-Phone, Steve might announce the next generation of Nanos and say - this is not an iPod-Phone, but this iPod can also make phone calls.

If Steve's not happy with it as a phone, YET, this may be an interim step to stop people buying other phone/mp3 players. Nokias are phones with mp3 player as an after thought.... Apple iPod's with phone would be music players with a phone as an after thought.

edit:
A device just happens to also make phone calls. That is my prediction.

A cell phone just sounds too iffy unless it really is that amazing cell phone that ceases the existence of other cell phones.Okay... just got up to this post... Sorry applekid!

Jan 8, 2007, 04:38 PM
Gawd! Can you imagine the keynotes?!?! ! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

He'd make Gil Amelio look like a genius!

This reminds me of Gil's keynote, deemed as the MOST boring of all in history...around 3h/4h of chit-chat...but he brought SJ back, so give him a break... ;)

DavoMrMac
Jan 8, 2007, 04:40 PM
Just read this on AppleNova forums...if it's true, we might be in for a REAL treat...bigger than the Apple II, bigger than the Mac, bigger than the iPod...the TABLET reinvented for success...move over, Bill..!

The applenova thread is pretty funny right at the beginning. Yes, it would be good if true, who knows. A touch screen Mac would be wickedly good.

mrmma
Jan 8, 2007, 04:45 PM

Favorite line from above site: as if steve jobs captured a freaking UFO and will be showing an alien at the keynote

So the Airport UFO commercials were actually pointing to this all along! If only I'd known it then...

DavoMrMac
Jan 8, 2007, 04:48 PM
Having gone through literally all of the AppleStore products and nothing gives any delay on shipping, so no indication on new products other than the ones we know about eg. iTV and Leopard.

Bengt77
Jan 8, 2007, 04:50 PM
This must be the first time in years that I am not overly excited about the upcoming keynote, ehm... Stevenote™. Maybe it's because this time I actually have the money to buy something when it comes out. Does that make any sense at all? Usually, not having the money to buy something, makes you less excited, since it won't effect you. But now, I actually feel more calm. Having the money ready is actually a lot easier on me, I guess.

But what to buy? Well, actually I'm only waiting for a new iMac (although I guess that won't happen) with preferably a true Core 2 Duo (Conroe or Kentsfield) and a beefier GPU (GF7900 should be possible, since they're already at the 8800 now). And maybe I'd buy an iTV. But only if it's a DVR-like device, and it won't just stream from iTunes and won't, then, only stream iTunes Store items.

So get the goods out, I'd say! I'm in Europe, so the keynote will start right when I get home from work. My girlfriend is on holiday, snowboarding with some friends, so I have the house to myself. Excellent!

SandynJosh
Jan 8, 2007, 04:51 PM
Has anyone see this Apple commercial?

Looks real to me: iTalk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K-y5MuxMbA&mode=related&search=

Whooeeee!

backtothefuture
Jan 8, 2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah, well Jobs also thought a leather iPod sock was 'fun'.

HA! Has anyone ever seen the leather sock? I never have, either in store or online.

Butters
Jan 8, 2007, 04:55 PM
Has anyone see this Apple commercial?

Looks real to me: iTalk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K-y5MuxMbA&mode=related&search=

Whooeeee!

Even though it clearly states in the video it's not real?

satty
Jan 8, 2007, 04:58 PM

I thought of the same movie :)

Jan 8, 2007, 05:06 PM
This must be the first time in years that I am not overly excited about the upcoming keynote, ehm... Stevenote™. Maybe it's because this time I actually have the money to buy something when it comes out. Does that make any sense at all? Usually, not having the money to buy something, makes you less excited, since it won't effect you. But now, I actually feel more calm. Having the money ready is actually a lot easier on me, I guess.

But what to buy? Well, actually I'm only waiting for a new iMac (although I guess that won't happen) with preferably a true Core 2 Duo (Conroe or Kentsfield) and a beefier GPU (GF7900 should be possible, since they're already at the 8800 now). And maybe I'd buy an iTV. But only if it's a DVR-like device, and it won't just stream from iTunes and won't, then, only stream iTunes Store items.

So get the goods out, I'd say! I'm in Europe, so the keynote will start right when I get home from work. My girlfriend is on holiday, snowboarding with some friends, so I have the house to myself. Excellent!

Well, for me the keynote will happen after work...problem (or solution) is: I am meeting my gf for a movie at my place...so I will NOT see/hear anything about Apple until way after midnight...

Granted, at least I am gonna have some sex after 20 days of forced abstinence due to the holiday season...so all is not lost... :rolleyes:

pyramid6
Jan 8, 2007, 05:06 PM

See, I told you it is going to be a tricorder.

I'm only half joking about the tricoder bit, I think there will be some device that doesn't really fit any category.

Jan 8, 2007, 05:10 PM
See, I told you it is going to be a tricorder.

I'm only half joking about the tricoder bit, I think there will be some device that doesn't really fit any category.

And all that because I simply see no use in tablets...ok, Apple, please blow me away...I trust ya...:D

cal6n
Jan 8, 2007, 05:27 PM
I still reckon we'll see a yellow box version of OS X.

Or maybe this is a better way of putting it:

If a yellow box version of OS X is ever going to happen, now is the time.

BillHarrison
Jan 8, 2007, 05:52 PM
It’s a valid point. In the case of the Mac Apple is making a MAJOR killing off their hardware. Substantially better then the cutthroat prices that PC manufacturers are selling their wares at.
The two reasons I never expect Apple to EVER release OS X for the generic PC is two fold. First is drivers and support. Both of these things are expensive overheads to the OS. Apple as it stands has to support a very small, very specific set of hardware parameters. Granted its grown since the release of OS X on Intel but compared to the PC industry in its entirety its a drop in the ocean. The minute Apple releases OS X for PC generica they run into the same problems that MS runs into. Namely driver hell. Apple doesn't want to get into that. Nor do they want to hand the responsibility of the stability of OS X over to companies like Dell. Because drivers can and frequently do make or break a systems stability.
The second reason is also pretty obvious. Apple makes most of their money on the hardware. The minute they release OS X into the wild for the generic PC they will no doubt start raking in money hand over fist. The problem isn't now. The problem is in 2, 5, 10 years where OS X has saturated the market just like Windows has. In Microsoft's case they are having a DANG hard time convincing people to upgrade because for many, like myself, XP/2K is a perfectly fine OS. Once Apple has saturated the market sales will start to slow. It’s better for Apple to be in the position that they are and have nowhere to go but up instead of hitting a concrete ceiling. People need to realize that PC users aren’t Mac users. They would buy Tiger and then sit on it until the system dies. At which time they would upgrade their hardware and their OS. Apple’s formula is perfectly fine.

Ah, but the "Driver Hell" really does not exist. Most things for a PC just work, and if Apple is half the company I believe it is, then the same would hold true for other machines. Much smaller less talented companies have pulled off OS releases for Generic PC hardware, why do you feel Apple is incapable, or would falter ?

Also, what about 2, 5, 10 years down the road? You can't compare you being happy with XP/2k to Mac sales. Are you happy with os 10.0? Of course not. There is usually a REASON to upgrade with new OS X releases. This won't change one way or another. I also suspect that apples hardware sales will not slip.

Lets put it this way: Apple sells the **** out of IPODS, and lets be honest here, you and me. Why do you think that is? Because its HANDS down the best MP3 player you can buy? While there are many and far cheaper versions available?

Why would this not be true with apple hardware? You will buy apple hardware because its the "Best". Others will buy cheaper hardware because its cheaper, and gets the job done. But, the Apple hardware even while more expensive, still pulls in the most sales.

Seems to me you feel apple is not CAPABLE of more. I think your wrong.

CJM
Jan 8, 2007, 05:55 PM
Maybe it's not the iPhone..... maybe it's a super slim 12" LED backlit MBP with BluRay??? :p

Oh ****! You know what, if there is no Apple Phone... I'll put 10 quid on there being a Blueray equipped Mac.

That's ten quids.

steve_hill4
Jan 8, 2007, 05:58 PM
Well, for me the keynote will happen after work...problem (or solution) is: I am meeting my gf for a movie at my place...so I will NOT see/hear anything about Apple until way after midnight...

Granted, at least I am gonna have some sex after 20 days of forced abstinence due to the holiday season...so all is not lost... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure you should be telling a bunch of random strangers that. Anyway, at least you will be participating with another living person. The way some people around here are talking at the moment, they will be plugged into macrumorslive.com and getting their kicks tomorrow.

I know the anticipation is exciting, but come on people.

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2007, 06:03 PM
Ah, but the "Driver Hell" really does not exist.

Also, what about 2, 5, 10 years down the road? You can't compare you being happy with XP/2k to Mac sales. Are you happy with os 10.0? Of course not. There is usually a REASON to upgrade with new OS X releases. This won't change one way or another. I also suspect that apples hardware sales will not slip.

Bullcrap. :rolleyes: I've been working with Windows since DOS and Windows 1. Please don't suggest that drivers aren't a core problem with Windows stability.

As for upgrades. As I said PC users are NOT Mac users. They are not going to upgrade their OS just for Expose or Spotlight. Most won't upgrade at all until they are ready for a new system. This is why XP has had a VERY hard time cracking the '98 userbase. Vista is going to have an even harder time because XP is good enough. Ditto with OS X Tiger. Heck I doubt I'm going to go Leopard if the current feature set doesn't change.

CJM
Jan 8, 2007, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure you should be telling a bunch of random strangers that. Anyway, at least you will be participating with another living person. The way some people around here are talking at the moment, they will be plugged into macrumorslive.com and getting their kicks tomorrow.

I know the anticipation is exciting, but come on people.

He probably thinks he's the only person here who gets any... Either that or he wants to tell the world of his breaking celibacy. :p

Compile 'em all
Jan 8, 2007, 06:04 PM

My favorite quote from the linked thread :D:

I know my friend well, and he's never lied to me ever, and i could see in his
eyes, he had the look of "you haven't a clue, if only you knew" as if steve jobs
captured a freaking UFO and will be showing an alien at the keynote.

steve_hill4
Jan 8, 2007, 06:07 PM
Oh ****! You know what, if there is no Apple Phone... I'll put 10 quid on there being a Blueray equipped Mac.

That's ten quids.

Are you suggesting a stock Mac or does that also include a BTO as an option?

I think with iTV streaming HD content and Blu Ray and HD DVD just being released in the last year, (with the war kicking into full swing this year), this could truly be the turning year for HD. In which case Steve could get in there and announce some great HD related products tomorrow and get the ball rolling. However, I still see Blu Ray as merely a BTO Mac Pro option to start off with, along with an octo core option debuting tomorrow.

cynerjist
Jan 8, 2007, 06:11 PM
it will be macbook thin, a small form factor with 12" screen based on flash memory technology. at least that's what some analyst said on cnbc two hours ago... so basically, we have no idea. :)

and add me to the group that would go ransacking booths after the keynote if all this hype is well.... hype.

steve_hill4
Jan 8, 2007, 06:11 PM
He probably thinks he's the only person here who gets any... Either that or he wants to tell the world of his breaking celibacy. :p

Breaking celibacy? Sometimes I want to tell the world of my breaking wind, but a voice in the back of my head usually tells me "They're not interested" and I get on with life and open a window. ;)

CJM
Jan 8, 2007, 06:14 PM
Breaking celibacy? Sometimes I want to tell the world of my breaking wind, but a voice in the back of my head usually tells me "They're not interested" and I get on with life and open a window. ;)

Haha! My point exactly :D

And to the above comment; yes I think you're right that it might be a BTO option only, but it'll still be there.

unregbaron
Jan 8, 2007, 06:18 PM

My favourite line from that story:

"I know my friend well, and he's never lied to me ever, and i could see in his eyes, he had the look of "you haven't a clue, if only you knew" as if steve jobs captured a freaking UFO and will be showing an alien at the keynote."

MrCrowbar
Jan 8, 2007, 06:18 PM
Wow, what's up with the forum servers? got a lot of 404s and "you've reached the old server for some reason". Is MacRumors getting hammered by too much traffic? Keynote time is busy time on rumor sites I guess :-)

Anyway, the fact that Steve invited all his friends worries me like some other people here. It is a possibility that he is going to retreat as CEO of Apple and hand over to Phil Shiller. I don't think he'll retire completely, but he's indeed shown signs of aging in the last keynotes. I wonder who will do the keynotes tho... Shiller? Ewww! He'd be gret for selling some kind of Sports or Kitchen stuff on TV but not so suited for Apple stuff in my opinion.

Didn't Steve Jobs re-join Apple as CEO on Macworld in 1997? That would be exactly ten years then. Just a thought.
Seriously, I have no idea what to expect from the keynote this time, the rumor mills sucked this time. Leopard and iLife can be expected, but there's no reliable clue to what else will be shown. "iTV" will probably be talked about a lot and the usual iPod sales pie-charts at the beginning. Still a lot of room in 2 hours. I will follow the keynote on MacRumors tomorrow. Don't know if I'll eat at the desk tho... I'll probably eat faster then usual tho :-)

Compile 'em all
Jan 8, 2007, 06:22 PM
My favourite line from that story:

"I know my friend well, and he's never lied to me ever, and i could see in his eyes, he had the look of "you haven't a clue, if only you knew" as if steve jobs captured a freaking UFO and will be showing an alien at the keynote."

Did you just copy my post on page 15? :eek: :p :D

unregbaron
Jan 8, 2007, 06:29 PM
Did you just copy my post on page 15? :eek: :p :D

Just read the linked article and copied the sentence so didn't read on to see if anyone else liked it too. Seems we weren't the only ones either - someone with username mrrma or something slightly higher up page 15.

Compile 'em all
Jan 8, 2007, 06:32 PM
Just read the linked article and copied the sentence so didn't read on to see if anyone else liked it too. Seems we weren't the only ones either - someone with username mrrma or something slightly higher up page 15.

True. I feel so :o

Brihomajax
Jan 8, 2007, 06:46 PM
I know everybody has a story like this, and every rumor starts the same....I talked to this guy tonight and he has a friend who works for apple...If im right tomorrow its legit, and if not im victim to the hype, regardless I wanted have this down in case my inside scoop is 100% correct....

ipod phone, iphone whatever guaranteed tomorrow.
• 4" screen
• touch sensitive dialing and input on the edges of the screen.
• Dumbed down OSX including mail, address book, iphoto, itunes.
• 2 models (probably 4gb and 8gb)
• 802.11n (I guess to go with the new AirPorts)

We've all heard that, but that seems to be the real deal for the thing.....

Take it for what its worth....If im right maybe i've got an inside scoop for all you kids in the future.....

Godspeed Tomorrow....

Onward!

peharri
Jan 8, 2007, 06:52 PM

You know, I can believe this one.

(I pretty much implied that was the direction I was thinking above.)

The notion Apple would slit its own throat by just plain entering the mobile phone market has always struck me as absurd. Something this radical however... I can see them giving up the music business to produce a computer of this kind.

Funnily enough I was telling my wife how I don't like any of the PDAs, HPCs, or smartphones at the moment despite desperately wanting one, maybe this Christmas Apple will have something, assuming it doesn't come in at $1,000 like I think it will.

If it's BS, it's a very smart guess.

unregbaron
Jan 8, 2007, 07:00 PM
I know everybody has a story like this, and every rumor starts the same....I talked to this guy tonight and he has a friend who works for apple...If im right tomorrow its legit, and if not im victim to the hype, regardless I wanted have this down in case my inside scoop is 100% correct....

• 4" screen

Take it for what its worth....If im right maybe i've got an inside scoop for all you kids in the future.....

Godspeed Tomorrow....

Onward!

I believe this one. I have a question though - is 802.11n a faster internet connection than a 3G mobile in the UK or would the network limitations make both systems feel the same ?

MrCrowbar
Jan 8, 2007, 07:03 PM

• 4" screen

Godspeed Tomorrow....

Onward!

Damn, I wanted a small, affordable version in the $500 US price range. This looks more like the full screen iPod (4" screen) with the phone built in. Still, 4 or 8 GB isn't much for a decent video player, DVDs look pretty good compressed down to 1 GB with H2.64. 4" is a sweet spot between portability and easy-on-the-eyes-ness (did I just write that!? :p ). I might get one if I can pop a SIM card in (I'm going back to Europe soon) and if the address book support pictures. I still can't believe my iPod won't show me the tiny pictures in "Contacts". I love having the pictures, very handy if you have GrowlMail (google it) and get the notification with the picture. You get the pictures in iChat too. How about having the picture in that Apple phone when someone calls you too? Lots of cell phones have it, but it's a pain in the ass to use, you usually have to make a picture of the people in you address book with the phone...

uNext
Jan 8, 2007, 07:11 PM
Confirmed no "IPHONE" tomorrow but "ITV" WILL BE RELEASED along with a new ipod and a new 12" macbook pro.

8 core MACPRO

My source is very reliable trust me-i just got the news like less then 1 minute ago-my dreams dont lie People trust me.

unregbaron
Jan 8, 2007, 07:14 PM
Confirmed no "IPHONE" tomorrow but "ITV" WILL BE RELEASED along with a new ipod and a new 12" macbook pro.

8 core MACPRO

My source is very reliable trust me-i just got the news like less then 1 minute ago-my dreams dont lie People trust me.

Krusty the clown voice: "this I don't need.."

uNext
Jan 8, 2007, 07:15 PM
Krusty the clown voice: "this I don't need.."

Dude i dont think i can wait any longer (pulling hair out)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Apple why you do this to me :mad:

When will this day end for christ sake-anybody have the click remote control by any chance? i just need t ofast forward to tomorrow 1:00pm eastern time.

backtothefuture
Jan 8, 2007, 07:28 PM
The notion Apple would slit its own throat by just plain entering the mobile phone market has always struck me as absurd. Something this radical however... I can see them giving up the music business to produce a computer of this kind.

Exactly. Apple is way to smart to release just an iPhode (See how witty I am? I combined the suffixes 'pod' and 'phone' !). I hope they come out with a NewtonPhone (which is not witty).

DavidLeblond
Jan 8, 2007, 07:37 PM
Are you suggesting a stock Mac or does that also include a BTO as an option?

I think with iTV streaming HD content and Blu Ray and HD DVD just being released in the last year, (with the war kicking into full swing this year), this could truly be the turning year for HD. In which case Steve could get in there and announce some great HD related products tomorrow and get the ball rolling. However, I still see Blu Ray as merely a BTO Mac Pro option to start off with, along with an octo core option debuting tomorrow.

iLife '05 gave us the revolutionary iMovie HD, and iLife '07 will bring.... iDVD HD! And for some odd reason, David Leblond will buy it anyway!

unregbaron
Jan 8, 2007, 07:41 PM
Apologies if it's been posted recently but this story from last year people might find interesting again:

"Next week Steve Jobs of Apple will grab media attention with another simple-looking stage show. Mike Evangelist tells the insider secrets of his gruelling preparation"

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,16376,1677772,00.html

A sample quote:
"My first experience of this preparation came in the runup to the Macworld Expo keynote of January 2001, which was to include new Macs able to burn DVDs - then an amazing capability. Steve wanted to show off the new software, iDVD, that could do it. As I was the product manager for Apple's DVD software, I had to organise everything that Steve would need.

The team and I spent hundreds of hours preparing for a segment that lasted about five minutes. Several weeks earlier Steve summoned me to demo the software, and highlight what I thought were its most interesting aspects. Of course he already knew most of this, but the process was still useful. He used the key points from these demos to mould his overall presentation and decide how much time each product would get."

digitalbiker
Jan 8, 2007, 07:42 PM

8 core MACPRO

I would expect this to be about right. Especially since almost every article from the CES this week has been about the merging of the computer and the TV. Vongo movie downloads with XBox and Vista, streaming wireless video download services, Sony movie download for Bravia flat panel TVs etc. etc.

I would say Apple needs to release now or risk losing significant initial market growth.

Plus I want an 8 core MacPro! :D

woodsie
Jan 8, 2007, 07:45 PM
no iPhone (or whatever it will be called) will be a huge dissapointment.

yatima
Jan 8, 2007, 07:45 PM
I reacon this iTV box is more about home control. Sure you watch the content from your mac or PC. -but what if you could watch content over the internet (slingbox style)? on your phone or iphone???

What then if could use your iphone as a remote for other devices conected back at home? The aircon? the VCR etc?

DarkNetworks
Jan 8, 2007, 07:46 PM

With the Welcome to 2007 Note only in the http://apple.com and not to websites of other countries (http://apple.com/jp or http://apple.com/uk) I do think that iPhone stands a high chance to be introduced tomorrow.

I'll put 10 quid on there being a Blueray equipped Mac.

I wonder if there will ever be a Blueray equipped Mac. ;) Blu-ray, is possible, is possible...

dllavaneras
Jan 8, 2007, 07:55 PM
I can't wait! Only 15 hours to go...

moesker007
Jan 8, 2007, 07:58 PM
no iPhone (or whatever it will be called) will be a huge dissapointment.
I have to agree, even my local newspaper (my town has 8,000 people) has an article about Macworld and the possibility of an Apple branded phone being released. I have a feeling that unless apple releases some other revolutionary device (Not just the iTV) their shares are going to drop in price and the world MAY end (the latter not being too likely)

MonkeyClaw
Jan 8, 2007, 08:00 PM
Apologies if it's been posted recently but this story from last year people might find interesting again:

"Next week Steve Jobs of Apple will grab media attention with another simple-looking stage show. Mike Evangelist tells the insider secrets of his gruelling preparation"

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,16376,1677772,00.html

A sample quote:
"My first experience of this preparation came in the runup to the Macworld Expo keynote of January 2001, which was to include new Macs able to burn DVDs - then an amazing capability. Steve wanted to show off the new software, iDVD, that could do it. As I was the product manager for Apple's DVD software, I had to organise everything that Steve would need.

The team and I spent hundreds of hours preparing for a segment that lasted about five minutes. Several weeks earlier Steve summoned me to demo the software, and highlight what I thought were its most interesting aspects. Of course he already knew most of this, but the process was still useful. He used the key points from these demos to mould his overall presentation and decide how much time each product would get."

That was a really interesting article. I had no idea that much energy and time went into these things. I think one would be hard pressed to find that kind of commitment and energy in other companies product announcements.

GregA
Jan 8, 2007, 08:15 PM
In the case of the Mac Apple is making a MAJOR killing off their hardware. Substantially better then the cutthroat prices that PC manufacturers are selling their wares at.
The two reasons I never expect Apple to EVER release OS X for the generic PC is two fold. First is drivers and support. Both of these things are expensive overheads to the OS. Apple as it stands has to support a very small, very specific set of hardware parameters. Granted its grown since the release of OS X on Intel but compared to the PC industry in its entirety its a drop in the ocean. The minute Apple releases OS X for PC generica they run into the same problems that MS runs into.
Whether apple makes a killing on their Software or Hardware is just a matter of whether you factor the bundled software as a $0 cost. If OSX & iLife is $0 of the cost, then Apple makes a MAJOR killing on their hardware package. If OSX & iLife is entered in the books as a $200 cost, then Apple makes a major killing on their software, and not so much on the hardware.

Anyway, Apple don't need to release "OSX for PC generica". For instance, they could release OSX just for Dell machines, or even a subset of Dells. Apple may decide one day to sell top end machines (Mac Pros), Laptops, iMacs, and MacMinis... (sounds like what they do today)... but also let Dell sell OSX for their general PCs (not their laptops, or highest end stuff).

I think it's feasible. But I don't think this will happen (despite Dell doing their CES presentation simultaneously with Steve Jobs)

imacdaddy
Jan 8, 2007, 08:19 PM
I think the people raising this are generally following an Ameri-centric point of view.

Can't agree with you more. Apple has propelled itself further as a "global" company these past few years. This is aparent with the rapid openings of Apple Stores around the world.

SiliconAddict
Jan 8, 2007, 08:21 PM
Meh. Personally I don't really care. I had surgery on my ankle in November. I still being mated by the hospital, anesthesiologist (Three times in their case.) the hospital again, the ER, the surgeon, etc, etc, etc. I'm getting "loved" without the lube. :(
At most I would be interested in a new iPod. Down to 5GB of free space and falling fast. 100GB iPod Video would be PHAT.
Esp with me going through Babylon 5 on Blockbuster's online service. I could receive the disk, rip, iPod it, return, watch, delete, repeat.

Chef Medeski
Jan 8, 2007, 08:53 PM
And all that because I simply see no use in tablets...ok, Apple, please blow me away...I trust ya...:D
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=267563

Read that let me know if there is still no use.

Multimedia
Jan 8, 2007, 08:55 PM

8 core MACPRO

My source is very reliable trust me-i just got the news like less then 1 minute ago-my dreams dont lie People trust me.Did you confirm the 8 core Mac Pro will have the Stoakley-Seaburg chips (http://techreport.com/etc/2006q4/clovertown/index.x?pg=1)onboard or not?

unregbaron
Jan 8, 2007, 09:01 PM

8 core MACPRO

Hi Steve !!

;)

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 8, 2007, 10:02 PM
An ipod/PDA with a scaled down version of osx? With chat capabiblitys and a true web browser, and with laptop internet speeds. That would rock. :D

kalisphoenix
Jan 8, 2007, 10:56 PM
When Apple announces something new, people pay attention. This is due, in large measure, to Steve and the way he delivers Apple's messages. His preferred method of making major product announcements is at one of his public presentations, or "keynotes" as they are called inside the company.

They should really patent that word before some unscrupulous hack steals it.

balamw
Jan 8, 2007, 11:52 PM
They should really patent that word before some unscrupulous hack steals it.
They'd need to patent/trademark "Stevenote" since Keynote is standard for any presentation that is intended to kick off a conference and present an overview or set the stage for the rest of the conference.

B

kalisphoenix
Jan 8, 2007, 11:57 PM
They'd need to patent/trademark "Stevenote" since Keynote is standard for any presentation that is intended to kick off a conference and present an overview or set the stage for the rest of the conference.

B

Jesus wept.

Evangelion
Jan 9, 2007, 01:28 AM
Ah, but the "Driver Hell" really does not exist. Most things for a PC just work

Drivers are BY FAR the #1 cause of problems in the PC-land. There are about zillion companies making components and peripherals for PC's, and large number of them couldn't code their way out of a wet paper bag. So we get drivers that are basically crap.

Why would this not be true with apple hardware? You will buy apple hardware because its the "Best". Others will buy cheaper hardware because its cheaper, and gets the job done. But, the Apple hardware even while more expensive, still pulls in the most sales.

You can't compare computers with mp3-players. Computers are computers, whereas mp3-players are appliances. iPod is tightly tied to the iPod-ecosystem, whereas MacBook etc. is just a computer. A good one, and stylish, but still a computer.

When you buy an iPod you get something that no other mp3-player offers: a thriving ecosystem. You have iPod-accessories. No other mp3-player has something like that. You have iTunes, which no other mp3-player has. And you get the design as well. What does Apple computer give you that you can't get with other computers? Good design and OS X. Take OS X out of the picture, and the sales-proposal becomes a lot less appealing. Like it or not, there ARE well-designed PC's out there, but they do not have OS X.

Can't agree with you more. Apple has propelled itself further as a "global" company these past few years. This is aparent with the rapid openings of Apple Stores around the world.

Rapid openings around thw world? It seems to me that just about every small town in USA has an Apple Store, with more being constantly opened, whereas the number of Apple Stores in the rest of the world is quite low. Outside USA, Apple has 18 Apple Stores. California alone has 34 Apple Stores. How many stores are there in entire Europe? Seven. All of them in the UK.

backtothefuture
Jan 9, 2007, 02:46 AM
I wonder what Steve is dreaming about right now...

skoops
Jan 9, 2007, 03:16 AM
A nice joke would be if during one of the live demos Steve would open up safari and go to macrumorslive.com and wait for the line 'SJ just opened macrumorslive.com on the demo machine' to appear :p

spetznatz
Jan 9, 2007, 04:27 AM
Interestingly, on the main BBC 10 o'clock News there was a report about the Las Vegas show & Bill Gates last night. The reporter finished off with something like: "Tomorrow, however, sees Apple, makers of the iPod, launch their new technologies, and we'll be there to report on that, too"

The BBC has never reported on a MacExpo before (on the TV news). Maybe they're expecting something big, too.

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 04:45 AM

i think u have a problem :D

Interestingly, on the main BBC 10 o'clock News there was a report about the Las Vegas show & Bill Gates last night. The reporter finished off with something like: "Tomorrow, however, sees Apple, makers of the iPod, launch their new technologies, and we'll be there to report on that, too"

The BBC has never reported on a MacExpo before (on the TV news). Maybe they're expecting something big, too.

i agree with that.. befoer there was hardly any exposuer to Apple on the BBC website even.. but given all the hype and the success of the iPod, people are starting to take note.

that's what i think anyway.. you watch tomorrow on the BBC news site.. there will be an article about SJ's keynote! :)

unregbaron
Jan 9, 2007, 04:53 AM
A nice joke would be if during one of the live demos Steve would open up safari and go to macrumorslive.com and wait for the line 'SJ just opened macrumorslive.com on the demo machine' to appear :p

Nice one

mavherzog
Jan 9, 2007, 05:30 AM
Besides they are just friggin phones. The cell providers overcharge for useage, the taxes and service charges are incomprehensible, the bills are like receiving monthly phone books with listings of useless garbage, and the plans are ridiculously complex.
Funny as it may sound, I think you've just convinced me that the iPhone is worth while.

johngordon
Jan 9, 2007, 06:31 AM
leopard - release leopard for dell's, hp's etc. apple will sell with it's brand anyway. I will - for one - continue apple's "mac's" due to their unique implementation of hardware/software and design. by releasing osx for certified producers the os market share can vastly expand. it would not necessaraly cannibalize mac's sales.

I doubt it'll happen, but if it did, what about it as a long term strategy? Sure, it might not offer the full Apple *experience*, however defined, but what about as a cheap route in to OSX (in the same way as which the Mac Mini was touted). The theory being that people who wouldn't shell out a few hundred bucks to try out an OS, but might shell out $100 to do so on their existing machine.

But when it comes to replacing it, having gotten used to OSX, they then by a Mac, perhaps encouraged by demos of Mac only software like iLife?

But having said all that, I don't see it happening.

tallyho
Jan 9, 2007, 06:33 AM
Keynote is standard for any presentation that is intended to kick off a conference and present an overview or set the stage for the rest of the conference.
In America maybe :rolleyes: Hence the inverted commas in the Guardian article.

ClimbingTheLog
Jan 9, 2007, 06:59 AM

Wouldn't WWDC be more appropriate?

iMan
Jan 9, 2007, 07:07 AM
I doubt it'll happen, but if it did, what about it as a long term strategy? Sure, it might not offer the full Apple *experience*, however defined, but what about as a cheap route in to OSX (in the same way as which the Mac Mini was touted). The theory being that people who wouldn't shell out a few hundred bucks to try out an OS, but might shell out $100 to do so on their existing machine.

Apple was never about "cheap". That said - their current lineup is competetive already. This is like thinking installing leather interior and top class audiosystem in your old Toyota will make you buy a Mercedes next time.

PCs are commodity. Macs are not. Mac OS is one of the small parts that makes it not. It is all about experience, touch and feel - you won't even be close by installing the OS on whatever cheapo box out there. It is also about differentiation - and all that market jimbo jambo... still it works very well, and has served Apple a lot nicer margins than anyone else out there for many years (yes even before the iPod).

Never underestimate branding - it is one of the strongest languages and moneymakers in the world! Dilluting the brand is all but stupid.

One thing that probably will happen though - is that Apple at one point "opens" the platform they actually can hope to rule the world with; content delivery and management. They will retain their Mac platform as one leg of the company, and try to control the media platform with the other - a lot less to loose if that fails... since big vendors will sooner or later take a shot there.... worst case they loose some marginal mediasales and iPod sales decline (which it will anyway at one point). Best case; they control the worlds media assets.

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 07:24 AM
i agree with that.. befoer there was hardly any exposuer to Apple on the BBC website even.. but given all the hype and the success of the iPod, people are starting to take note.

that's what i think anyway.. you watch tomorrow on the BBC news site.. there will be an article about SJ's keynote! :)

just check the BBC article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6244705.stm) posted this afternoon.. damn!!! media is all over it now.. and with the BBC covering this much, its gonna be ch-ching for Apple :)

DavoMrMac
Jan 9, 2007, 07:26 AM
One thing that probably will happen though - is that Apple at one point "opens" the platform they actually can hope to rule the world with; content delivery and management. They will retain their Mac platform as one leg of the company, and try to control the media platform with the other - a lot less to loose if that fails... since big vendors will sooner or later take a shot there.... worst case they loose some marginal mediasales and iPod sales decline (which it will anyway at one point). Best case; they control the worlds media assets.

I totally agree with this. The OS will be opened up at some stage. They will never open up hardware again, remember the Clone Wars! But the OS on other devices and machines, sold as after-market, OEM or licensed, now that sorta makes sense.

UnreaL
Jan 9, 2007, 07:26 AM
I wonder if apple will ever sell a decent mouse? In all honesty the current is purely form over function. It's really time an ergonomic mouse was released. Perhaps Apple should ask Logitech...

I thought of this after reading the whole 'Mac's are the best things in my existance because it feels good' - yet using a mighty mouse doesn't feel great, it seems fine right up until you try a Logitech MX1000 or similar.

johngordon
Jan 9, 2007, 07:28 AM
Apple was never about "cheap". That said - their current lineup is competetive already. This is like thinking installing leather interior and top class audiosystem in your old Toyota will make you buy a Mercedes next time.

Like I said, I really don't see it happening, I was just thinking aloud along the lines that *if* if did happen, what *could* the logic behind it be?

That said, I only agree partly with your analogy - because i think there almost certainly is a demographic who might like to *try* a mac, but wouldn't buy a mac just to do so. Being able to run OSX would, if nothing else, be a more affordable to try before they buy.

PCs are commodity. Macs are not. Mac OS is one of the small parts that makes it not. It is all about experience, touch and feel - you won't even be close by installing the OS on whatever cheapo box out there. It is also about differentiation - and all that market jimbo jambo... still it works very well, and has served Apple a lot nicer margins than anyone else out there for many years (yes even before the iPod).

Never underestimate branding - it is one of the strongest languages and moneymakers in the world! Dilluting the brand is all but stupid.

I'd agree completely with that - but that doesn't mean the everyday man on the street who has never used a Mac appreciates all that. They might just wonder what the fuss is about, and be more prepared to see for themselves if they could stick OSX on their PC without having to actually buy a Mac.

bowens
Jan 9, 2007, 07:45 AM
Come on iPhone. I've got a 5 year old piece of crap. If an iPhone does not come out, I'll probably still look at getting something else.

jfmartin
Jan 9, 2007, 08:00 AM
Hi,

Macworld 2007 - SF

Mac hardware

Mac Pro - core 2 quad

Mac software

iLife 07

iPod+itunes plateform

"State of the union"
Lyrics in iTunes songs
iTunes 7.1

Here is the updated list reflecting current trend in rumors:

MWSF 2007

Mac hardware

iTV lunch but ship in Feb (requires iTunes 7.1) - named under the iPod umbrella like the iPod HiFi....or named under the Mac umbrella... make more sense...

Mac Mini upgrade (minor)

Mac software

iLife 07 - demo only with Leopard
iWork 07 (new spreadsheet) - demo only with Leopard
all three to ship in march 07

iPod+itunes plateform

"State of the union"
Beatles on iTunes
Lyrics in iTunes songs
iTunes 7.1
iPod phone (6th generation based, under the iPod naming convention: iPod mobile ?)

Other:

AirPort Extreme update to work with iTV
Apple + Google relationship...
.Mac upgrade
New apple.com web site design (or minor upgrade)

Bengt77
Jan 9, 2007, 08:17 AM
I still reckon we'll see a yellow box version of OS X.

Or maybe this is a better way of putting it:

I'm not too fond of yellow... I think it would make OS X look bad.

http://www.pearsoned.com.au/schools/starburst/images/yellow/yellowbox.jpg

:cool:

johngordon
Jan 9, 2007, 09:24 AM
I wonder if apple will ever sell a decent mouse? In all honesty the current is purely form over function. It's really time an ergonomic mouse was released. Perhaps Apple should ask Logitech...

I thought of this after reading the whole 'Mac's are the best things in my existance because it feels good' - yet using a mighty mouse doesn't feel great, it seems fine right up until you try a Logitech MX1000 or similar.

A friend of my wife's came round with her iMac for some tecnical help with something last w/e (nothing she couldn't have figured out herself if she'd read the packaging, and some installation instructions).

Anyway, she had a mighty mouse, and I presumed the little buttons at the side were for right and left clicking, but of course they're not. But I still kept trying to, but of course you can't, as there's no resistance going the other way - you can only really squeeze them both together.

I guess they're fine when you get used to them, but it did seem very odd.

cal6n
Jan 9, 2007, 09:33 AM
Wouldn't WWDC be more appropriate?

No. Unca Billy's trying to get the world and his wife to ditch XP in favour of Vista. Tech sites, even windows friendly ones, are saying "Don't bother". They're also comparing Vista unfavourably with Tiger.

If, before the dreaded Vista goes on sale, Our Stevie was to offer everyone a way to run Leopard on a PC, and to use parallels to run XP (and everyone's collection of PC apps) safely, then they'd clean up.

The time is right. There will never be a better moment to strike.

BillHarrison
Jan 9, 2007, 09:44 AM
Drivers are BY FAR the #1 cause of problems in the PC-land. There are about zillion companies making components and peripherals for PC's, and large number of them couldn't code their way out of a wet paper bag. So we get drivers that are basically crap.

You can't compare computers with mp3-players. Computers are computers, whereas mp3-players are appliances. iPod is tightly tied to the iPod-ecosystem, whereas MacBook etc. is just a computer. A good one, and stylish, but still a computer.

When you buy an iPod you get something that no other mp3-player offers: a thriving ecosystem. You have iPod-accessories. No other mp3-player has something like that. You have iTunes, which no other mp3-player has. And you get the design as well. What does Apple computer give you that you can't get with other computers? Good design and OS X. Take OS X out of the picture, and the sales-proposal becomes a lot less appealing. Like it or not, there ARE well-designed PC's out there, but they do not have OS X.

Wrong. USERS are by far the biggest problem in PC land.

When is the last time you ordered a Dell, and turned it on and had a driver issue? Come on. This is not the old days. Trust me, I lived through hand setting IRQ's and shuffling cards in slots just because they were "Finicky".

Things are NOTHING like that today. Order PC from dell, or any other manufacturer, turn it on, and its going to work, no "Driver" issues.

All that said, the driver "Issues" really only occur on OS install, and upgrading, which 90% of the population does not bother to do.

All I am pointing out, is opening up the software a bit will probably make little or no difference in hardware sales, and open up sales to the "Tuner" / Geek crowd. Who have friends. Who set up systems. Who have influence.

I think the main question here, is whether apple is a hardware company or a software company. I feel that they are more a software company than a hardware company. Apple hardware is nice, and works well. So is sony. So are other makers. BUT, what truly sets it apart is apple software.

I mean, lets be realistic, apple has pc parts inside a shinier well built box. Any one company could do that. But what they have NOONE else has is an excellent OS, and excellent productivity apps.

SiliconAddict
Jan 9, 2007, 10:14 AM

The DOJ and the government in general going away. :(

Wrong. USERS are by far the biggest problem in PC land.

When is the last time you ordered a Dell, and turned it on and had a driver issue? Come on. This is not the old days. Trust me, I lived through hand setting IRQ's and shuffling cards in slots just because they were "Finicky".

Dude you are digging yourself a hole. I do Dell warrantee support and I can tell you that poorly installed drivers accounts for about a 1/3 of the repair jobs that I do. I go out to a site to replace a motherboard with onboard video and find that they had to reinstall the OS and didn't install the video, NIC, insert some other driver here. Or better yet the disk that Dell sent out with the PC was for a different model or didn't have the correct drivers on it. There have even been a few times where I had to walk away without repairing it because even the drivers on their site were the wrong ones. Or where they installed a new audio card however the onboard audio was being a PITA as it was set as the default audio device. Disabled that rebooted, and the system was pissy because even though I had installed the drivers there were components that hadn't gotten installed because the installer files saw that the default audio device was the onboard audio and stopped the install. So I had to uninstall the drivers, go into device manager, remove a few hidden items, reboot, reinstall....
Please stop now. You are already halfway to China.

BillHarrison
Jan 9, 2007, 10:48 AM
Dude you are digging yourself a hole. I do Dell warrantee support and I can tell you that poorly installed drivers accounts for about a 1/3 of the repair jobs that I do. I go out to a site to replace a motherboard with onboard video and find that they had to reinstall the OS and didn't install the video, NIC, insert some other driver here. Or better yet the disk that Dell sent out with the PC was for a different model or didn't have the correct drivers on it. There have even been a few times where I had to walk away without repairing it because even the drivers on their site were the wrong ones. Or where they installed a new audio card however the onboard audio was being a PITA as it was set as the default audio device. Disabled that rebooted, and the system was pissy because even though I had installed the drivers there were components that hadn't gotten installed because the installer files saw that the default audio device was the onboard audio and stopped the install. So I had to uninstall the drivers, go into device manager, remove a few hidden items, reboot, reinstall....
Please stop now. You are already halfway to China.

How am I digging myself a hole? Read your own post above: THEY REINSTALLED THE OS AND DID NOT INSTALL CORRECT DRIVERS = USER ERROR. THEY INSTALLED NEW CARD AND DID NOT DISABLE ONBOARD FIRST=USER ERROR.

Why stop? Both those examples are user error. Both examples could happen to a Mac just as easily. My built in mic does not work on my G3 AIO, nor does OS X support properly resizing the monitor. However, the machine was built and designed by Apple, and it supports OS X Natively.

How do you explain that? There are things on macs that don't "Just work" without a bit of tweaking. Same goes for PC's. Both examples you listed above required the USER to cause the problem.
Neither would have been an issue for me, or anyone else with some computer knowledge, so neither example highlights "DRIVER HELL" but simply shows the average user should not be mucking around in the hardware / OS of any system, mac or otherwise.

I am not trying to pick a fight with you, I am saying that the hardware on most things "Just works" and is rarely an issue if you simply RTFM.

Multimedia
Jan 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
5 minutes on the AppleTV + 2 hours on a phone that won't be for sale for six more months. Incredible.

I thought that was about as bad a SteveNote as I've ever witnessed.

In 6 months when I can't get one due to limited supply I'll be even more impressed than I was today. :eek: ;) :( :mad: :confused:

But after watching the video I am much more positively impressed than I was this morning. I misunderstood what it was before I saw the video.

BenRoethig
Jan 9, 2007, 01:32 PM
5 minutes on the AppleTV + 2 hours on a phone that won't be for sale for six more months. Incredible.

That's about as bad a SteveNote as I've ever witnessed.

In 6 months when I can't get one due to limited supply I'll be even more impressed than I was today. :eek: ;) :( :mad: :confused:

It was way too much time to spend on two spend on two halo devices with limited audiences.

$600 smart phone which is cool, but way out of almost everyone's price range and a $299 streaming device that requires an $800 minimum television. While both are technical marvels, I don't see either one exactly setting the world on fire when it comes to sales.

mrpotatoehead
Mar 10, 2007, 07:52 AM
Well, there is Phil Schiller, but he sucks at keynotes. The one person who could succeed Steve as far as keynotes are concerned is Scott Forrestall. He did great job during the Leopard-presentation at WWDC.

who is this scott forrestall? I've heard people say he could be jobs' successor yet hes not even on the exec staff...someone please fill me in.