PDA

View Full Version : Is it all coming together???

MovieCutter
Jan 8, 2007, 08:38 AM
We've heard a lot in the last couple of months about portable devices from Apple...tidbits really/

-16GB flash Nanos
-Full screen iPod
-touch sensitive bezel
-multi-touch interface
-iPhone
-stripped down OSX
-Ultra-low power Intel processors

We've assumed all these are directed at individual products, but could all these technologies be converging tomorrow for this new "next generation portable device" Steve Jobs is so excited about?

psychofreak
Jan 8, 2007, 08:40 AM
-16GB flash Nanos
-Full screen iPod

These two can't really go together, yet...

Queso
Jan 8, 2007, 08:41 AM
All we can say is "maybe", but you could be on to something. 27 hours or so until we find out :)

vincebio
Jan 8, 2007, 08:42 AM
These two can't really go together, yet...

yes they do, all you have to do is call it the 16gb flash full screen nano:rolleyes:

MovieCutter
Jan 8, 2007, 08:43 AM
What I'm focusing on is the 16GB of flash memory, it was originally rumored to be going into Nanos...

virus1
Jan 8, 2007, 08:44 AM
*gasp!

YES! IT IS ALL COMING TOGETHER! WE CRACKED IT!

;) :rolleyes:

psychofreak
Jan 8, 2007, 08:50 AM
yes they do, all you have to do is call it the 16gb flash full screen nano:rolleyes:

I'm thinking that fullscreen's main advantage is video. 16GB is too small for a video/music library.

tsvb
Jan 8, 2007, 09:05 AM
hmmm you really think new processors?

AndyR
Jan 8, 2007, 10:26 AM
Its going to be something totally different that none of us expect.

Personally I'm hoping for the phone with an OSX lite on it and also the iLounge (new name for iTV) which is going to rock! :D

acearchie
Jan 8, 2007, 10:54 AM
Im pretty sure on iPhone now, I love being able to get my hopes up and then having them shattered right in ffront of me!

atari1356
Jan 8, 2007, 11:01 AM
I'm thinking that fullscreen's main advantage is video. 16GB is too small for a video/music library.

Yeah, but not if you are streaming the video from your computer over a cellular network.

iPhone = streaming your media on the go (a new ipod/cellphone hybrid)
iTV = streaming your media to the living room
Mac Mini/iMac/Mac Pro = the thing you store all of your media on ;)

Just an idea... it's anybody's guess as to what we'll actually see tomorrow.

skunk
Jan 8, 2007, 11:05 AM
and also the iLounge (new name for iTV) which is going to rock! :DI think it'll be called the iSitting Room.

Queso
Jan 8, 2007, 11:07 AM
I think it'll be called the iSitting Room.
iParlour?

paddy
Jan 8, 2007, 11:19 AM
Not a chance on the 16GB iPods I'd say... :(

atari1356
Jan 8, 2007, 11:22 AM
iParlour?

iCouchPotato?

Samaritan
Jan 8, 2007, 11:27 AM
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see a UMPC killer....

MovieCutter
Jan 8, 2007, 11:33 AM
Not a chance on the 16GB iPods I'd say... :(

I never said there was...:confused:

Chef Medeski
Jan 8, 2007, 12:00 PM

A 12" UMPC killer. Thats exactly what we need a slate tablet with an on screen dynamic keyboard, great battery life, and even better software.

Sort of like TabletKiosk's TouchIt only with OS X.

MatthewCobb
Jan 8, 2007, 12:02 PM
I'm with you, MovieCutter. Bring on The Device (with its funky touch-screen interface).

PS You know, we'll all be devastated when it's just iTV...

psychofreak
Jan 8, 2007, 12:04 PM

The UMPC isn't really alive though, is it...

Samaritan
Jan 8, 2007, 12:06 PM

Good point. But I say bury it before it is!

Chef Medeski
Jan 8, 2007, 12:14 PM

A 6" device is only good for those uber rich who hate the cramped screens of phone and random techohiles. 6" is good for nothing. Its got for taking small notes, contacts, casual internet browsing. It isnt made for full time use. A 12" is the smallest screen people can comfortably use as their sole machine. Tablet are a great idea but clunky with their keyboards. Subtract the keyboards and you start to get a fine product. The possibilites are endless if you can get some good software. Santa Rosa and hybrid HDs will allow for greater battery life. Think of a Tablet Slate that has a dynamic on board keyoard so you hold each hand on one side and can type with your thumbs. It would be great for taking notes, you could type very fast the cradle it in one arm to draw a diagram, WITH YOU FINGER! Add some exciting software and there wont be a single college student that wouldnt want this.

It would be great for movie too since the keyboard layout makes it kind hard to watch since you have to lay the laptop on ur lap at an inoptimal angle for your neck. If you could instead hold it up it would be more natural.

I praty OWC's tablet is like this. Cause if it is, I"ll buy it any cost. TabletKisok has a Tablet just like this. The only problem is it runs Windows. And if Apple jumps out with a product like this he'll smother both UMPCs and Tablet since this is taking the best of both product and combing it into a revolutionary device for computing. The first keyboard less laptop that is actually useful. Its a floating screen not a computer. Apple INNOVATE FOR ONCE IN THE 5 YEARS, PLEASE!!!!

Chef Medeski
Jan 8, 2007, 12:19 PM
OH and give it two swappable bays. Stock one has battery and other has CD player. Yet you can switch it out for two batteries if you need tons of extra battery or extra periphials like a modem, FW800, media reader and extra USB inputs. Plus being able to have the batteries recharge on a docking station would allow one to carry a CD player with three batteries with them for like 14 hrs of work. And making it hot swappable would just be perfect. Think about it. Oh my battery is low. Pop out this battery, heres the other one in my bad, pop back in. Great way to keep weight low too just pop out the second bay leaving just the battery. Perfect! Like 3.5 lbs.

Come on Apple..... reel it in these are great ideas.

Samaritan
Jan 8, 2007, 12:22 PM
A 6" device is only good for those uber rich who hate the cramped screens of phone and random techohiles. 6" is good for nothing. Its got for taking small notes, contacts, casual internet browsing. It isnt made for full time use. A 12" is the smallest screen people can comfortably use as their sole machine.

I thought that too.. but if it was plastic, and you could roll it up.. well, then it could go anywhere!!

Chef Medeski
Jan 8, 2007, 12:25 PM
I thought that too.. but if it was plastic, and you could roll it up.. well, then it could go anywhere!!

I agree that would be nice. But im hoping for some new stuff before 2010.

Samaritan
Jan 8, 2007, 12:30 PM
I agree that would be nice. But im hoping for some new stuff before 2010.

You mean Mr Jobs isn't super-human and can't come up with a $200 roll up tablet mac with phone/ipod/etc.. by tomorrow?

Pah. I'm not going to bother listening then.

Chef Medeski
Jan 8, 2007, 12:34 PM
You mean Mr Jobs isn't super-human and can't come up with a $200 roll up tablet mac with phone/ipod/etc.. by tomorrow?

Pah. I'm not going to bother listening then.

2MORROW. I EXPECT A SURPISE ANNOUNCEMENT TONIGHT ON ALL THE NATIONAL BROADCASTING CHANNELS BY HIGHJACKING THE SATELLITES AND TELLING EVERONE HOW HE BRINGS THE REVOLUTION TO OUR HANDS.

You know itll sort of be like the 1984 Apple commercial except instead of Bill Gates running up to throw an axe into Job's face he'll be feeding little kids in Africa. THEN THE MAC WILL TAKE OVER.... mAWHHWHKF MWAHAHAAH!

Samaritan
Jan 8, 2007, 12:38 PM
2MORROW. I EXPECT A SURPISE ANNOUNCEMENT TONIGHT ON ALL THE NATIONAL BROADCASTING CHANNELS BY HIGHJACKING THE SATELLITES AND TELLING EVERONE HOW HE BRINGS THE REVOLUTION TO OUR HANDS.

You know itll sort of be like the 1984 Apple commercial except instead of Bill Gates running up to throw an axe into Job's face he'll be feeding little kids in Africa. THEN THE MAC WILL TAKE OVER.... mAWHHWHKF MWAHAHAAH!

Now I'd like to see an Apple advert (a la iPod adverts) with a roll up computer in it..

There's be trendy faceless people rolling up computers all over the place and doing cool stuff with it. umh, like swatting flies, or wrapping a burger in it, or using it as a makeshift umbrella..

Hang on.. using it to protect themselves from the rain...???

Wow. I've seen the future.

iPlasticMac.

Passante
Jan 8, 2007, 12:38 PM
We've heard a lot in the last couple of months about portable devices from Apple...tidbits really/

-16GB flash Nanos
-Full screen iPod
-touch sensitive bezel
-multi-touch interface
-iPhone
-stripped down OSX
-Ultra-low power Intel processors

We've assumed all these are directed at individual products, but could all these technologies be converging tomorrow for this new "next generation portable device" Steve Jobs is so excited about?

iDon't know? :D

shunpike
Jan 8, 2007, 12:41 PM

bloody hell - Bill Gates may be annoying but if he's saving lives you can't knock him on that.

BTB - it will be massive or ***** - no middle ground

Embed
Jan 8, 2007, 01:33 PM
BTB - it will be massive or ***** - no middle ground

im hoping for massive :D

iphone plz

AndyR
Jan 8, 2007, 02:03 PM
My 37" HDTV is turning up tomorrow morning but I'm more excited about Macworld that this :D

Would be awesome if Steve releases and all in one iPod/Phone/PDA/Remote for the iTV! Or even better he says that Leopard is shipping today and totally kills Vista before its even out for general release :D

Jo-Kun
Jan 9, 2007, 04:09 AM
Or even better he says that Leopard is shipping today and totally kills Vista before its even out for general release :D

that would be a great one, I could laugh at my friend who works for MS and who pointed out I could run Vista on my mac (as if I was waiting for that) he allso tells me that the biggest reason Vista is delayed is because they want to make it the safest Windows release ever...
I hope for all the PC users that that's the case because some of my friends are die hard PC users... and they allways look so surprised when I tell them I allways TRY to open a virus when it gets in my mail and it's asking me what app to open it in :p

AndyR
Jan 9, 2007, 04:20 AM
that would be a great one, I could laugh at my friend who works for MS and who pointed out I could run Vista on my mac (as if I was waiting for that) he allso tells me that the biggest reason Vista is delayed is because they want to make it the safest Windows release ever...
I hope for all the PC users that that's the case because some of my friends are die hard PC users... and they allways look so surprised when I tell them I allways TRY to open a virus when it gets in my mail and it's asking me what app to open it in :p

Thats brill! When one of the blokes in my team at work brought his laptop in the other day with Vista on he was like WOW! Look at these gadgets. When I explained Apple had these for years along with all the other things they started to ignore me. :rolleyes:

They base there opinions of Mac OS X on a comparison done in PC Mag a few months back where they said things like the only bundled word processor was TextEdit and Microsoft Media Maker comes free with Vista but you have to spend 70 to get iMovie with a Mac!?!?!?! They also seem to forget that you should be comparing XP and OSX not Vista. You should compare Vista and Leopard.

MovieCutter
Jan 9, 2007, 03:10 PM
Looks like I was on to something....:cool: