PDA

View Full Version : iTuens Play Count help!

wPod
Jan 8, 2007, 01:48 PM
I have my mac mini set up as a headless media server right now. Cool concept considering I just moved to Denver and have very little space of my own right now (moved in with relatives right now, must get a job soon so I can get my own place! anyone know of any good mechanical engineering jobs near denver?!?!?!?!) Anyway, this all means that i am playing music from the mini on my PowerBook. Works pretty well, except the Play Count, Last Played time does not update on the mini. This might not seem like much, but I have a number of smart playlists set up based on the last time a song was played and how many times it has been played (this way I don't listen to the same songs over and over, I can set up a playlist to play songs that I haven't listened to in the past month)

One solution I have found is to hook up my 80GB iPod to my PB then play the music off of the iPod. Then synchronize the iPod with the mini. The reason I dont play the music directly from my PB is i have 60GB worth of music and only a 60 GB hard drive on my PB. (Hence the need for the mini as a media server). I realize I could use the iPod or just some generic external HD for the music, but I move my PB around a lot and hate having to plug in and un plug the iPod or an external HD all the time.

Thanks!

balamw
Jan 8, 2007, 01:51 PM
There's an AppleScript discussed here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3200865&postcount=19 that might help...

B

wPod
Jan 8, 2007, 02:37 PM
heh, well that was the right idea. but didnt quite work. i have a playlist called "not played, not skipped" so if i have not listened to or skipped the song, it is on that playlist. (with 13xxx songs in my library i have only made it through about 6xxx of them in the past few months) 36 days of music actually takes a little longer to go through than 36 days of continuous 24 h of music! so anyway, after 30 seconds the script would mark the song as played, it would be taken off the smart playlist 'not played, not skipped' and i would have only heard 30 seconds of the song. there must be something that could sync the playing of a song form one computer to the next. what is apple going to do when you play a song on iTV? will it just never be shown as played????

balamw
Jan 8, 2007, 02:41 PM
Maybe they'll introduce iTunes 8 tomorrow to support iTV and fix this once and for all. Or maybe they'll introduce a new tag for "Remote Plays". :p

B