Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
So we have a useless DP 1GHz sitting here right now. Last week the mouse started getting flakey and freezing up a little bit, not it does not work at all. It won't work no matter what I do.

Anyone have or know of any problems with the USB or keyboard/mouse combos on the DP 1GHz machines, or any DP or mirror front PowerMacs? Any solutions or tips?

thanks! ;)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Anyone have USB/mouse issues on DP 1Ghz?

Originally posted by eyelikeart
So we have a useless DP 1GHz sitting here right now. Last week the mouse started getting flakey and freezing up a little bit, not it does not work at all. It won't work no matter what I do.

Anyone have or know of any problems with the USB or keyboard/mouse combos on the DP 1GHz machines, or any DP or mirror front PowerMacs? Any solutions or tips?

thanks! ;)

I was having this problem with my Kensington StudioMouse but it was just a permissions problem. I could either repair permissions to fix it or sometimes unplugging it and plugging it back in would fix it, sometime repeatedly before it would start working.

What other devices do you have connected with USB?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I should give more details...

It's a standard configuration: Apple Pro Mouse & Keyboard. Nothing new has been installed or added to the device mix, and it's worked fine up till last week. One weird thing: the light won't come on at all, unless u tap the mouse with a little bit of force (it'll flash for a second and that's about it).

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I should give more details...

It's a standard configuration: Apple Pro Mouse & Keyboard. Nothing new has been installed or added to the device mix, and it's worked fine up till last week. One weird thing: the light won't come on at all, unless u tap the mouse with a little bit of force (it'll flash for a second and that's about it).

I think you have a bad ProMouse. I have heard of this quite a few times before. Definitely try using another mouse.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I have, and it didn't work. :(

I think it's something wrong with the USB, and it's only when both the keyboard & mouse are connected. I've even tried swapping the mouse & keyboard from my G4 400, and that did not work either. They both work on the G4 400 though.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
ok...I'm not nuts here...

When I was trying to troubleshoot this the other day, I had a very irrate & impatient person at the controls of the machine. Apparently, through his incredibly unproductive methods of deducing problems, this was overlooked. I decided to take the normal approach that I would, by myself, and try a different mouse.

The bastard works. My friend it nuts man. ;)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
ok...I'm not nuts here...

When I was trying to troubleshoot this the other day, I had a very irrate & impatient person at the controls of the machine. Apparently, through his incredibly unproductive methods of deducing problems, this was overlooked. I decided to take the normal approach that I would, by myself, and try a different mouse.

The bastard works. My friend it nuts man. ;)

That makes since. Never trust anyone else but yourself when it comes to problem solving a computer/machine if you're the one that knows what you are doing.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by MacBandit
That makes since. Never trust anyone else but yourself when it comes to problem solving a computer/machine if you're the one that knows what you are doing.

Well that's the thing, I didn't really have a hand in it to begin with. He's so damned impatient with things and starts yelling at the machine, slamming the mouse & keys around. I tried to get involved, and seemed to be doing 3 things at once, rather than trying one at a time.

Whatever, that's why people come to me for help; at least I usually figure it out, and without stressing out over it. ;)

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
i have a dual 1 gig power mac and i actually made a post about something similar to this about a month ago. My mouse and keyboard were out of commission randomly after about 6 months for no reason. When i unplugged the printer usb they worked again. I have no idea why this took place however now i have both plugged in again and both work fine. I cant explain it.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Have a brand new Dual 1.25 Tower, got it Friday, ran like a charm for about 20 hrs and on Sunday night the sh*t hit the fan.

Not only did I wind up with the loud fan power supply combo, but...

I have a little more of a mouse problem then what's posted here but I thought I would see what other people have found.

Here's my problem and any suggestions would be appreciated.

When you try and boot the machine, it comes up, the mouse is frozen in the upper left hand corner. I can navigate with the keyboard, but the mouse is dead. My external LaCie Fire Wire drive won't mount either. Tried booting with all peripherals disconnected also.

I managed to get it booted from the Hardware test CD and things tested fine, but now, I can't eject the CD with the Eject Key on the keyboard, it doesn't Eject Holding down E while Booting, and it won't eject with the paper clip trick. The drive is not spinning when I tried any of these and I have quit out of all applications.

I am going to get on the phone with Apple tonight, there are a few posts on their discussion board re: Frozen mice.

Help... I am stuck with My g3 Power Book and really small screen again. Once you have 20 inches, those laptops just don't cut it...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by peterj1967
Have a brand new Dual 1.25 Tower, got it Friday, ran like a charm for about 20 hrs and on Sunday night the sh*t hit the fan.

Not only did I wind up with the loud fan power supply combo, but...

I have a little more of a mouse problem then what's posted here but I thought I would see what other people have found.

Here's my problem and any suggestions would be appreciated.

When you try and boot the machine, it comes up, the mouse is frozen in the upper left hand corner. I can navigate with the keyboard, but the mouse is dead. My external LaCie Fire Wire drive won't mount either. Tried booting with all peripherals disconnected also.

I managed to get it booted from the Hardware test CD and things tested fine, but now, I can't eject the CD with the Eject Key on the keyboard, it doesn't Eject Holding down E while Booting, and it won't eject with the paper clip trick. The drive is not spinning when I tried any of these and I have quit out of all applications.

I am going to get on the phone with Apple tonight, there are a few posts on their discussion board re: Frozen mice.

Help... I am stuck with My g3 Power Book and really small screen again. Once you have 20 inches, those laptops just don't cut it...

When you startup to eject a cd you have to hold the mouse button down not the 'E' key. Also when you use the paper clip trick it will stop the cd and disengage the tray like 3mm. You will have to physically pull the tray the rest of the way out. I would recommend on any new computer starting up off of the OSX installation disks and doing a fresh install. For some reason I've always had much better luck this way then trying to run the system installed by Apple.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Thanks, mouse button worked to get the cd out.

Makes me nervous that a new machine would have a system software issue so early. Anyhow it is now booting from the system cd. I'll reformat things an reinstall. Anybody else have early system failures?

I still don't know all the OSX short cuts. Lots to learn after 10 years of classic....

Know what I am doing for the next few evenings...

Maybe not, when the installer comes to the select destination drive, it doesn't list any drives.

Think I have a bigger problem...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Thanks, mouse button worked to get the cd out.

Makes me nervous that a new machine would have a system software issue so early. Anyhow it is now booting from the system cd. I'll reformat things an reinstall. Anybody else have early system failures?

I still don't know all the OSX short cuts. Lots to learn after 10 years of classic....

Know what I am doing for the next few evenings...

Maybe not, when the installer comes to the select destination drive, it doesn't list any drives.

Think I have a bigger problem...

That's interesting. Well if you're going to have a serious problem with a Mac is most likely to happen in the first 30 days. Also my worst Mac OS experiences have been when using the OS that was installed when I received my computer. The computer I am using now is the first one I didn't have an issue with the moment I got it.

I would start up off of the hadware test CD and run test since you're not showing the drive.

Another thing to do is when it's starting up off of the drive hold the 'apple-S' keys. This will start the computer into whats called 'single user mode' it's similar to a terminal console. Once it's done at the prompt type 'fsck -y' with the space. That is the command for 'file system check' the '-y' tells it to answer yes to all prompts. If it says it has performed a repair run it again and continue running it until it says it didn't repair anything. Once it say's it didn't perform a repair you can leave single user mode by typing 'reboot'.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
I'll try you suggestions...

This is what I did, Ran the extended hardware tests which all pass.

Booted from the OSX install disk and ran the dik utility. Running a verify turns up a Overlapped File Alloction File, Invalid Key lenght. Repair can't fix it.

Errased the Drive, and after that it shows up in the install.

Does anybody know if that Drive error is media related? Meaning do I have a physical drive issue. It sounds software based.

Off to install OSX...

Hopefully this one will stick

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Got OSX reinstalled and ran all the updates, seems to be fine other then the fan and power supply noise, but I think I can get that taken care of pretty easily.

Now I need to do all the little tweaking again.... and software installing

Thanks for the help

--PeteJ

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Got OSX reinstalled and ran all the updates, seems to be fine other then the fan and power supply noise, but I think I can get that taken care of pretty easily.

Now I need to do all the little tweaking again.... and software installing

Thanks for the help

--PeteJ

Order the kit from Apple with the quieter power supply and fan. If your machine is truly one of the noisy early ones you can get it. It really made a difference on my machine though I never found the noise bothersome. Now it's no louder then my old B/W G3 with PCI Radeon card.

Naldo

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2003
Massachusetts USA
Yup

Hi
We have run into the same problem with the new G4's not enough power to the usb port on the keyboard problem solved with new keyboard from apple.
We are in an enviroment where we need a lot of dongles which used to be ADB but now are usb what a pain we pay why do we nrrd a dongle!!!!!!!!!! but I digress give a new keyboard a shot.
Ron

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Yup

Originally posted by Naldo
Hi
We have run into the same problem with the new G4's not enough power to the usb port on the keyboard problem solved with new keyboard from apple.
We are in an enviroment where we need a lot of dongles which used to be ADB but now are usb what a pain we pay why do we nrrd a dongle!!!!!!!!!! but I digress give a new keyboard a shot.
Ron

Or if you really need to add a lot of USB accesories you could go get a $20 powered USB hub. Mine from Belkin wasn't affected by the 10.2.5 USB hub conflict.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.