PDA

View Full Version : How are you whittling down the hours/minutes?

billy_d_goat
Jan 9, 2007, 07:26 AM
So what is everyone doing up until the Keynote?

I'm at work, of course, with a meeting that *might* overlap the Keynote. In the meantime, I'm hanging out here, reading the rumors, and trying to get in the Apple spirit by "walking" around Infinite Loop! Woooooot :D January is like another birthday present.

http://www.mapwing.com/tours/2/4/usr/llcl0cec0JFrJ/thumb_link.jpg (http://www.mapwing.com/explore/view_tour.php?t=llcl0cec0JFrJ)

tvguru
Jan 9, 2007, 07:29 AM
Just sitting in front of the TV and leaving Forum Spy on. Doesn't look to be anything exciting going on. Almost midnight here so there better be some good conversation going on soon or I'll be really board with Wednesday morning TV. :mad:

wyatt23
Jan 9, 2007, 07:29 AM
i'm watching 24. jack bauer has the power to hypnotize and make you wonder where all your time went.

Chundles
Jan 9, 2007, 07:30 AM
Keynote starts at 4am here, it's 12:30am now.

I'm going to bed for a few hours.

liketom
Jan 9, 2007, 07:30 AM
i will be installing a printer for a old Powermac G5 on a network in about 20 min for work - Since my work does not use Mac's they asked me to do it

i might grab some more coffee and check out ebay for some cheap Mac Pro's later on mind :D

tvguru
Jan 9, 2007, 07:31 AM

You poor fella, I forgot about the DST.

kretzy
Jan 9, 2007, 07:31 AM
i'm watching 24. jack bauer has the power to hypnotize and make you wonder where all your time went.

No way! I was just about to post that I was going to watch 24 (last few eps of season 2) for a few hours before it all starts. But I've changed my mind and might try get a bit of sleep instead because I have to go to work in the morning (remember the keynote starts at 4am here :( ).

t1937r0
Jan 9, 2007, 07:32 AM
i might grab some more coffee and check out ebay for some cheap Mac Pro's later on mind :D

More coffee?!? You're gonna crash about the time of the keynote...

liketom
Jan 9, 2007, 07:32 AM

you'd think the RDF would keep Chundles awake ;)

sluthy
Jan 9, 2007, 07:34 AM

You crazy daylight savings people, it's gonna be 3am up here. Doesn't make it any easier to stay up, granted. I should know, I did it last year :D The sun was coming up by the time I went to bed.

miniConvert
Jan 9, 2007, 07:34 AM
I'm working. Well, trying to. I'm such a sucker for getting excited, I'm positively twitchy.

Chundles
Jan 9, 2007, 07:35 AM

Yeah, but it's great on New Year's Eve if you're in Tweed Heads or something, you can have midnight then get in the car and go have it again.

Not that I am.

We all know the reasons Qld. decided to go against DST don't we? The geniuses up there thought:

1. The extra hour of sunlight would fade the curtains.
2. Daylight Saving Time would confuse the cows.
3. Getting up earlier would mean men got their morning erections on the bus to work instead of in bed.

:D

andrew050703
Jan 9, 2007, 07:36 AM
works out great for UK/Europe - were I working I could get home in time for most of the keynote

as it happens, I'm 'studying' :p

rtharper
Jan 9, 2007, 07:38 AM
I'm a Div IA cheerleader, and the College National Championship is this Friday through Sunday.

I'll be at practice from 10:30am until 4 Eastern =/

tvguru
Jan 9, 2007, 07:38 AM
Yeah, but it's great on New Year's Eve if you're in Tweed Heads or something, you can have midnight then get in the car and go have it again.

LOL good point. I was in Sydney for New Year's, B-E-A-U-tiful.
Pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/justin_martin/350116400/

OllyW
Jan 9, 2007, 07:40 AM
I'm working until 5pm, which is the time the keynote starts here in the UK.

It takes about 10 minutes to get home so I'll be back in time for all the juicy bits.

dazzer21
Jan 9, 2007, 07:42 AM
Trying to (and currently failing to) resurrect a trashed hard drive on a G4!!! Make me happy, Jobsy-baby!

sluthy
Jan 9, 2007, 07:42 AM
We all know the reasons Qld. decided to go against DST don't we? The geniuses up there thought:

1. The extra hour of sunlight would fade the curtains.
2. Daylight Saving Time would confuse the cows.
3. Getting up earlier would mean men got their morning erections on the bus to work instead of in bed.

Haven't heard the erection one, nice. :D But honestly, crappy farmer excuses aside, what's so good about DS? Do you really need the sun to set at 8pm?

tvguru
Jan 9, 2007, 07:43 AM
Haven't heard the erection one, nice. :D But honestly, crappy farmer excuses aside, what's so good about DS? Do you really need the sun to set at 8pm?

When I was back in school in Thunder Bay, Ontario. It would set around 10pm It was great. Why wouldn't you want more daylight when your actually awake?

Queso
Jan 9, 2007, 07:44 AM
I'm working with some web server guys on how to tighten their standards.

Today's meeting brought to you by the characters . / and the phrase "directory traversal attack" :)

yagran
Jan 9, 2007, 07:45 AM
well im bored..YET EXCITED...yet bored...BUT sOOO EXCITED...ne 1 no nefin to do until keynote starts? www.miniclip.com was good, wasted an hour for me

wyatt23
Jan 9, 2007, 07:46 AM
No way! I was just about to post that I was going to watch 24 (last few eps of season 2) for a few hours before it all starts. But I've changed my mind and might try get a bit of sleep instead because I have to go to work in the morning (remember the keynote starts at 4am here :( ).

well i have no idea what i'm gonna do now, i'm in the middle of the last episode of season 3 [season two ends pretty awesomely]... but once this ends within the hour, i either 1. start season 4 or 2. i have no idea.

Chundles
Jan 9, 2007, 07:47 AM
ne 1 no nefin to do until keynote starts?

What? Knee One No Nefin? That's not even a foreign language. What does that mean?

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 07:50 AM
What? Knee One No Nefin? That's not even a foreign language. What does that mean?

translates to: anyone know anything to do until the keynote starts

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 07:52 AM
bbbbbbbored..

sitting here at work..

quit my job earlier in the week.. have 3 weeks left.. woohoo!! start new job 5th feb :)

manager isn't giving me much work to do at the moment.. so i'm stuck watching the clock tick very slowly till 4pm till i go home and then get ready for the 5pm start..

ps: is it a 2 hour keynote today??

sweet160
Jan 9, 2007, 07:56 AM
Those keynotes are great,
if you live in west europe the starting time is 1800 PM wich is great,
so we can follow after work/school :D

unlike the poor Ozzies & Kiwiz :D

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 07:56 AM
Well i'm at home on study leave 'revising' for a level biology paper tomorrow.. :confused:

Cant really concentrate of course.

Might see the girlfriend later.:rolleyes:

and will you really concentrate when you see her? :p

dernhelm
Jan 9, 2007, 07:57 AM
Uh, hang out here. Post useless responses to a pointless thread. All good for me! :D

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 07:57 AM

who? :D

macmike47
Jan 9, 2007, 07:58 AM
I'm sitting at my desk, watching the Keynote countdown widgets (I have three...) not knowing what to do.

I let out the occasional squeal of anticipation as well.

3 hours...

I may go for a walk.

Keebler
Jan 9, 2007, 08:00 AM
lol well, we need a few groceries (i'm the stay at home parent), but i..um....don't feel like going out this morning so i'm hanging tight...will feed the kids lunch, get 1 off to school after that and the other down for a nap and then i'll be right here :)

tvguru
Jan 9, 2007, 08:01 AM
Those keynotes are great,
if you live in west europe the starting time is 1800 PM wich is great,
so we can follow after work/school :D

I dunno 1800 PM sounds a lot later then 3am :D

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 08:01 AM
I'm sitting at my desk, watching the Keynote countdown widgets (I have three...) not knowing what to do.

I let out the occasional squeal of anticipation as well.

3 hours...

I may go for a walk.

3 countdown widgets?!

i hope they are all giving you the same times :p

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 08:05 AM
anybody want a mocha? 90p for a large one from our in work ritazza shop..

no? ok, i'll get one for me then :p

unregbaron
Jan 9, 2007, 08:22 AM
Will Apple's chief executive unveil a tablet Mac or an 'iPhone' at Macworld next week? Former sales boss David Sobotta describes the meeting which explained key thinking

Thursday January 4, 2007
The Guardian

Next week, Steve Jobs will stand on stage in San Francisco to make his keynote speech at the Macworld show, to unveil new - much-rumoured - products. Here's something I discovered in my 22 years at Apple: some of the toughest competition for the best seats, or the first of those new products, comes from former Windows-centric executives who Steve has personally sucked into his "reality distortion zone" in face-to-face executive briefings.

Full article:

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1981815,00.html

kgarchar
Jan 9, 2007, 08:25 AM
Gosh, you guys are SUCH nerds.

I skipped school and couldn't sleep, so now I'm going to the Rec-Center until noon. :P

Swarmlord
Jan 9, 2007, 08:27 AM
Got a meeting and and entire day of accreditation audits. I'll have to check out the keynote and any announcements later.

Aniej
Jan 9, 2007, 08:31 AM
just hung up with my broker, had him add a last minute little purchase of AAPL, something I have done every year. It's more of a fun thing and superstition since I have a relatively long term investment and outlook on Apple. Go get'em Stevo and bring me my phone.

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 08:32 AM
just hung up with my broker, had him add a last minute little purchase of AAPL, something I have done every year. It's more of a fun thing and superstition since I have a relatively long term investment and outlook on Apple. Go get'em Stevo and bring me my phone.

can non-US residents buy shares in Apple?

Embed
Jan 9, 2007, 08:34 AM
anybody want a mocha? 90p for a large one from our in work ritazza shop..

no? ok, i'll get one for me then :p

ye please, i wouldnt mind 1, currently falling asleep in my 'creative industry's and infastructures' class

fun fun

a456
Jan 9, 2007, 08:35 AM
can non-US residents buy shares in Apple?

Yes, but don't ask me how. Go and see a sharedealer at a bank like HSBC is probably the quickest way to find out.

ghall
Jan 9, 2007, 08:36 AM
The keynote is around noon where I am. I'm at school at the moment, and Im supposed to be doing work, but I'm not. Whenever there's a keynote, I get NOTHING done.

I will probably try to get my work done, but chances are I won't. :D

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 08:39 AM
ye please, i wouldnt mind 1, currently falling asleep in my 'creative industry's and infastructures' class

fun fun

i'd be falling asleep in that class too :p

too late for the mocha.. it's already gone!!

drumpat01
Jan 9, 2007, 08:40 AM
Three words...

World of Warcraft

phillipjfry
Jan 9, 2007, 08:41 AM
How am I passing the time? Smoke breaks
Lots 'n lots of smoke breaks.
The Gods are with me today as I have not had a single computer issue yet today (sys admin). I just might be able to watch my first keynotes as a new Apple fanboy. :)

You know....I just might go have another one....

p.s. Whoever was talking about Stadium Arcadium...good album

Unorthodox
Jan 9, 2007, 08:44 AM
Playing the piano and eating peanut M&Ms!

Time seems to go faster when you concentrate on something.

NotFound
Jan 9, 2007, 08:44 AM
Took a day off from school and I'm passing the time by listening to John Legend.

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 08:46 AM
Took a day off from school and I'm passing the time by listening to John Legend.

word!! guy is a badass :cool:

Yoursh
Jan 9, 2007, 08:47 AM
Got the day off(work back half of the week), but I'm remodeling my home. Currently painting a bedroom. Hopeing to get the final coat up on the walls and drying by the keynote. Drying paint gives me an excuse to sit in front of the computer for a few hrs.;)

rtharper
Jan 9, 2007, 08:49 AM
Playing the piano and eating peanut M&Ms!

Time seems to go faster when you concentrate on something.

You concentrate on M&M's? :p

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 08:50 AM
well killed 30 mins learning:

Snow (Hey Oh)
Dani California
Hump De Bump
Charlie
Tell Me Baby
and Readymade

not bad..

damn good album though

so in an hour you cuold master all the tracks and release your own album!! wow.. you ARE good (ps: i've never played guitar so dont know how hard it is!)

SnakeNuts
Jan 9, 2007, 08:51 AM
I'm at work, but I have to stay till 18:00, when the wife is coming to pick me up. So I'll catch the first half on my work compu here, and then catch up with what I missed later when I get home. (It's a 45 min. drive back home)

Am a bit bored now... <twiddle>

sushi
Jan 9, 2007, 08:51 AM
Too tired to stay up this time. Going to bed...

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 08:52 AM
I'm at work, but I have to stay till 18:00, when the wife is coming to pick me up. So I'll catch the first half on my work compu here, and then catch up with what I missed later when I get home. (It's a 45 min. drive back home)

Am a bit bored now... <twiddle>

damn.. all of the ipods, iphones and itv's etc.. will be sold out in that 45 mins!!!! u have to wait till mwsf08 now :D hehe

QuarterSwede
Jan 9, 2007, 08:58 AM
Got lucky enough to have the keynote fall on our (me and wife's) day off. Unfortunately today she wants to go spend some of her Christmas money with me leading the way (I already spent mine on a Pioneer P4900iB head unit) ... sigh, oh well, the keynote isn't broadcast live anyway.

mo0805
Jan 9, 2007, 09:00 AM
it's central time here, so the keynote will start at about 11am CT. which means i'll be able to keep up on the updates until noon, then i have to go to lunch... damn.

working in IT blows.

Icewind
Jan 9, 2007, 09:02 AM
Errrmmm... This might sound like a stupid question, but...

I thought there was to be no live feed of the Keynote covered by Apple, and that we would have to wait like... another couple of hours before we get the quicktime stream on Apple.com?

Have I missed something somewhere?

barr08
Jan 9, 2007, 09:03 AM
I'm sittin pretty at work, the keynote starts at noon here on the east coast. I have to go to lunch late though :mad:

dalvin200

I thought there was to be no live feed of the Keynote covered by Apple, and that we would have to wait like... another couple of hours before we get the quicktime stream on Apple.com?

you are correct.. and no, you haven't missed anything.. in fact, you still have 2 hours to wait :)

barr08

We follow it through various text-based feeds, such as right here on macrumorslive.com

Icewind
Jan 9, 2007, 09:05 AM
Ah Right :)

So it's gonna be like 7pm or 8pm here in UK before wer get to watch the actual vid?

QuarterSwede
Jan 9, 2007, 09:05 AM

That's true but MacRumors is doing a live updated webpage of the coverage. It should update every min I believe.

Doh! barr08 you got to it first!

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 09:06 AM
Ah Right :)

So it's gonna be like 7pm or 8pm here in UK before wer get to watch the actual vid?

might be closer to 9pm.. :D

that's if you can get the feed to load.. cos no doubt, their servers are going to be jammed - esp if it has the digg effect!

phillipjfry
Jan 9, 2007, 09:06 AM
working in IT blows.

Look on the bright side, you could be working 10 hour shifts for 5.50$US an hour stocking for a grocery store and miss everything including keynotes... :)
I finally got a job in IT and unless I get laid off due to lack of work, I'll never complain about getting a job that actually deals with working on computers.

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 09:07 AM
That's true but MacRumors is doing a live updated webpage of the coverage. It should update every min I believe.

Doh! barr08 you got to it first!

i think the webpage will be updated every minute, but it doesn't mean that there will be updated information every minute :D

imacdaddy
Jan 9, 2007, 09:07 AM
Trying to get some sleep for before the stevenote. It'll be 1am over here when it begins. With all of the excitement and anticipation...I don't think I can go to bed now. :(

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 09:09 AM
Trying to get some sleep for before the stevenote. It'll be 1am over here when it begins. With all of the excitement and anticipation...I don't think I can go to bed now. :(

have a nice long bath.. it'll relax you before the F5** bashing begins :D

**F5 only for other sites as MR Live will auto load

Icewind
Jan 9, 2007, 09:10 AM
might be closer to 9pm.. :D

Thanks Dalvin.... Slightly off-topic here, but I actually worked in Boots HQ in Nottingham (On assignment with IBM). Holy crap! There are some fine looking babes in there.

Also, I heard that Nottingham has a ratio of something like 3 females to evey male... correct me if I'm wrong :)

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks Dalvin.... Slightly off-topic here, but I actually worked in Boots HQ in Nottingham (On assignment with IBM). Holy crap! There are some fine looking babes in there.

Also, I heard that Nottingham has a ratio of something like 3 females to evey male... correct me if I'm wrong :)

yeah, boots is just down the road - thane road :)

3 females to every 1? well.. when i first came to notts about 9-10 years ago (for uni), it supposedly had a 7:1 ratio.. while it wasn't as high as that, it certainly appeared to have more females to males.. but over the years, people (men) have heard about this and now the ratio has probably flipped!! lol.. so it's a myth now :)

and yeah, we have some good lookin babes.. one of which is my wife :D hehe

TheAnswer
Jan 9, 2007, 09:15 AM
Tried to get a long nights sleep and wake up right before the keynote started...but woke up two hours earlier than I wanted, so just hanging out here and going through the rest of my normal morning webpages.

Butts M Biggilo
Jan 9, 2007, 09:18 AM
and touching myself, creating heat thru friction, making a buzzing sound which further enhances my wait until KeyNote,
Butts :)

Felldownthewell
Jan 9, 2007, 09:22 AM
I just woke up. Class starts at 9:20, and my first class is martial arts, the one class I take in which I can't check what is going on. I'll have to take frequent bathroom breaks to check my phone. Thank god for 3g!

phillipjfry
Jan 9, 2007, 09:24 AM
Holy crap! There are some fine looking babes in there.

To go more OT, I'm at a job site in the states right now, staring (inconspicuously) at this one woman a few cubicles down from me, and shes hotter than a Sony battery ;)
and what do I see on her desk? A Mac Pro
Are all Mac-using women so beautiful? God I hope so :(

Icewind
Jan 9, 2007, 09:30 AM
I just wasted about 10 minutes there. Clicked on the Orange Broadband Unlimited flashing advert on the Macrumors front page thinking "Hey.. that looks like a good deal". Only to find out that their little router box does not support Apple Macs lol

Superb place to advertise their broadband package... hmmm... NOT!

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 09:32 AM
I just wasted about 10 minutes there. Clicked on the Orange Broadband Unlimited flashing advert on the Macrumors front page thinking "Hey.. that looks like a good deal". Only to find out that their little router box does not support Apple Macs lol

Superb place to advertise their broadband package... hmmm... NOT!

ha :) funny! ps: dont go for orange BB!! check digitalspy for user's experiences!! lol..

i have adblock on FF, so see no ads :p

liketom
Jan 9, 2007, 09:35 AM
well i'm back from my install of a printer - Well Xerox 770 a big beast of a printer - stretched it out to 1 hour 30 with a few nice ladies bringing me coffee.

but now i'm back at my desk waiting for 4pm to go home :(

macmike47
Jan 9, 2007, 09:39 AM
Right, I can't take this much longer.

I'm going to finish my tea, then go out to get some milk for breakfast tomorrow (or, more likely for a mid-keynote snack).

Icewind
Jan 9, 2007, 09:48 AM
but now i'm back at my desk waiting for 4pm to go home :(

4pm??? Home Time??? That's a cushy little number you have there ;)

dambro1978
Jan 9, 2007, 09:48 AM
waiting for the result of a polymerase chain reaction.
if I have some positive clones than I can prepare a MIDI-prep, transfect it tomorrow after and by the week-end have the experiments ready for the publication, and for the PhD!
Any other macmaniac life-scientist!?

Andrea, Trieste, Italy

devman
Jan 9, 2007, 09:50 AM
To go more OT, I'm at a job site in the states right now, staring (inconspicuously) at this one woman a few cubicles down from me, and shes hotter than a Sony battery ;)

post a pic

;)

dalvin200
Jan 9, 2007, 09:52 AM

cubicles? offices still have them? i thouight that was just in films? lol!!

i have only ever worked (or seen) open plan offices..

what's it like being caged in like that? :p

liketom
Jan 9, 2007, 09:54 AM
4pm??? Home Time??? That's a cushy little number you have there ;)

well it would normally be 5pm but they can sod off today :D

Embed
Jan 9, 2007, 10:01 AM
Right off home now from college,
it gives me 1hour to get ready for the crazy onslaught of info,

and to prepare for amazing news, or not getting the news i want!!!

Noisia will be playing all the time, just to increase the speed at which time goes by :D :p :cool:

:eek:

Icewind
Jan 9, 2007, 10:02 AM

Same here, although, when I started working for IBM about 9 years ago, I was in a cubicle to start with. About a year later, they ripped them all down and converted to open-plan. Now I have to sit face-to-face with Kevin (The 28 year old AD&D GeekBoy who likes to be known as 'Lord Man-Hammer').

There are about 2 females around my area (both of whom look like they shave more often than I do). The quality babes all seem to be down in the Human Resources or Finance sections.

i.Feature
Jan 9, 2007, 10:07 AM

I hate open plan... worked in open plan, cubicles and now an office of my own... and open plan is the worst... give me my cage!

chuckiej
Jan 9, 2007, 10:11 AM
http://www.gatorzone.com/football/images/sun41/1168335426.jpg

Reveling in the Gators' Championship last night. Sweet game! We've got the basketball and football trophies at the same time!

Steve J., make my day again please!!! :D :D

Icewind
Jan 9, 2007, 10:16 AM
Reveling in the Gators' Championship last night. Sweet game! We've got the basketball and football trophies at the same time!

I've never quite understood why a nation that prides itself in it's virility would want to strap on 50lbs of padding just to play rugby :)

wattso
Jan 9, 2007, 10:25 AM
Stupid question but where can i watch it live ? and it starts 5pm in england correct?

Icewind
Jan 9, 2007, 10:30 AM
Stupid question but where can i watch it live ? and it starts 5pm in england correct?

Seems like we can't. I asked pretty much the same question. All we can do is loook at the photos and read the test that gets updated on www.macrumorslive.com

I think the full video will be available for streaming later on about 9pm our time.

chuckiej
Jan 9, 2007, 10:31 AM
I've never quite understood why a nation that prides itself in it's virility would want to strap on 50lbs of padding just to play rugby :)

Haha, Nice Icewind. :)

Good q? Perhaps we want our atheletes to live long lives...

Really, I'm trying to do a little real work while thoughts of the Gators and of new Apple products keep running through my head... :confused:

wattso
Jan 9, 2007, 10:33 AM
Ah ok then mate cheers, think I will wait until the full keynote is available to watch then, that will just be on apples site yes?

Embed
Jan 9, 2007, 10:45 AM
Ah ok then mate cheers, think I will wait until the full keynote is available to watch then, that will just be on apples site yes?

yes bookmark this

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/

It should appear there,
but i think MR are going to put a link on one of their pages,
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2007/01/20070105150245.shtml

happy viewing

Unorthodox
Jan 9, 2007, 10:51 AM
You concentrate on M&M's? :p
Every chance I get.

billchase2
Jan 9, 2007, 10:51 AM
lol, i'm sitting in class right now... waiting for all this to start. :-) is this the thread where everyone will be talking about what's released live?

harveypooka
Jan 9, 2007, 10:54 AM
Shock horror, trying to get an old Dell laptop to install XP!!!

Compile 'em all
Jan 9, 2007, 10:55 AM
lol, i'm sitting in class right now... waiting for all this to start. :-) is this the thread where everyone will be talking about what's released live?

No. During the keynote all traffic will be re-directed to MacrumorsLive. So no one will be able to post anything until the keynote is over. And usually after that you will find tens of threads, each dedicated to a released product.

harveypooka
Jan 9, 2007, 10:58 AM
Yes, but don't ask me how. Go and see a sharedealer at a bank like HSBC is probably the quickest way to find out.

Yes you can. You can pay a small fee to buy shares with most banks. I was going to do it, decided against it, Apple split their stocks - went up silly amounts. Dammit!

harveypooka
Jan 9, 2007, 10:58 AM
No. During the keynote all traffic will be re-directed to MacrumorsLive. So no one will be able to post anything until the keynote is over. And usually after that you will find tens of threads, each dedicated to a released product.

Really? The couple last keynotes you could still post.