PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Intel Problem

zulgand04
May 12, 2003, 12:45 PM
Intel disclosed an electrical problem Monday that can cause computers using its flagship Itanium 2 processor to behave erratically or crash. :rolleyes:

Link: http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-1001010.html?tag=fd_top

just thought the mac comunity would like to read this.

-Neal

Mr. MacPhisto
May 12, 2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by zulgand04
Intel disclosed an electrical problem Monday that can cause computers using its flagship Itanium 2 processor to behave erratically or crash.

Link: http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-1001010.html?tag=fd_top

Not too shocking. Intel has really been plagued by problems as of late. These led to the Itanium being delayed by about two years and have caused them to stretch the clockspeeds of the P4s to cover for their manufacturing problems. I've been hearing their yields are WAY down and some friends have reported serious problems with P4 3.06 GHZ hyperthreaded chips (failure rate of 62.2% - 107 out of 172 have had to be replaced on a renderfarm, and actually over 50% of those 107 are likely to be replaced soon, within 2 months of delivery). If AMD can make a better chipset for the Opteron and increase their efficiency on their processors, Intel will be in deep trouble. As of know, I'm not too sure they'll be able to deliver their next generation of processors on time.

patrick0brien
May 12, 2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto
Not too shocking.

-Mr. MacPhisto

That pun was. :mad:

:D :D

yzedf
May 12, 2003, 01:53 PM
A problem on 1 yr old procs, that Intel has a test for, and if the customer wants they get a free replacement. Seems ok to me.

Computer_Phreak
May 12, 2003, 02:59 PM
thats almost as bad as the yields on G4's!
:D ;)

Mr. MacPhisto
May 12, 2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Computer_Phreak
thats almost as bad as the yields on G4's!
:D ;)

Sad thing is I feel Moto is less reliable than Intel or AMD - and that's bad. While I'm a bit partial, I feel IBM is the best chip manufacturer in the world at this time. They've been able to drive a chip with a small pipeline up in clock speed while making it efficient and cool (the 750 series). I also think their yields are high on their chips. I can't wait until this summer when Mac will be 100% on IBM chips.

mac15
May 12, 2003, 09:24 PM
well atleast they have some nice speedy processors, ahem motorola.......

The 800mhz Itaniums at the dads work are killer, running win2k. So fast!