PDA

View Full Version : ibook and external displays

switch
May 12, 2003, 01:02 PM
I'm a PC user hoping to get a 12" ibook this summer to take to grad school as my only computer. How well do ibooks work with external displays (LCD's)? I know they have VGA out and don't 'span' monitors, but what are their native resolutions and do they mirror at higher resolutions than that?

My issue is that I like the portablility and wireless of the ibook, don't need pro-user features, but would like a big display for reading lengthy pdf files, etc, at my desk. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help-- I can't wait to switch.

-Switch

ftaok
May 12, 2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by switch
but what are their native resolutions and do they mirror at higher resolutions than that?
-Switch 1024x768 is the native resolution. And no, they don't mirror any higher than that.

Mlobo01
May 12, 2003, 03:13 PM
you can get higher resoultions only through a hack (found in macoshints.com) I would not take a chance on that, there is also an expanded desktop hack via Open Firmware (not if you have a rage video card) I tried the regular adapter on a 17inch monitor but the screen becomes smaller of course with the adapter that comes with the iBook.

baby duck monge
May 12, 2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Mlobo01
I tried the regular adapter on a 17inch monitor but the screen becomes smaller of course with the adapter that comes with the iBook.

what exactly does this mean? how does the screen become smaller?

also, does anyone know any [relatively safe] hacks that *would* allow spanning in the ibook (more specifically, the previous generation's 800 mhz combo w/ 32MB radeon 7500)?

Mlobo01
May 12, 2003, 04:07 PM
the screen on the monitor when I connected the iBook became 13inches viewable, instead of the 17 inches that the monitor connected to a desktop is,
I tried looking in Displays in the Systems preferences and trying to get something that would fill the void but to no avail.
What the hack is basically is making a
display folder with a numerical value within the library or system.
this value varies depending on the company. you need to do your research,
but here's the link to OSX hints, you might be able to find better help there
http://www.macosxhints.com/
now when you connect the iBook to the adapter it mirrors your screen, but it doesnt become dark. capische, Mario

Kwyjibo
May 12, 2003, 04:08 PM
ok the "hack" or mod in question is perfectly safe and it works winder fully on my 800mhz nov6 iBook 12.1. the site is http://www.macparts.de/ibook/ and if you follow the instructions you will be fine and love the extra real esate when your at your desk. If you don't like it or think it cuased a problem all you have to do is reset your pram and the mod goes away. People worry because apple does not officially supoport this but the graphics card does. Its more of a marketing decision in many cases (ibook doesn't need this pro feature) I suggest you run the mod, enjoy the extra real estate and post whenever you get a chance to tell ppl how great it is to fully use the potential of your machine. Its not dangerous if you read the instructions and follow them. what the res on the external monitor you plan to use?

/edit fixed the typos in my rant..

switch
May 14, 2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. I plan on probably a 1280 x 1024 resolution LCD-- that seems to be the frequent native res on non-professional ones, and is fine with me. That's all in the future though, just curious about my ibook options.

Thanks again
-S

CMillerERAU
May 14, 2003, 03:58 PM
Then again, you could always opt for a 12" PB, if you're concerned with pro features it might be an overall bettter laptop than a ibook.

howard
Jun 15, 2003, 08:14 PM
i just got a new monitor that i want to use on my ibook...and have been strongly considering using this hack...i have a 700mhz ibook with the 16 meg radeon card so apparently it would work...however i'm extremely scared at my computer dieing from this...i would really be screwed....

any advice??

solvs
Jun 15, 2003, 08:46 PM
If you do it right, and it still screws up, all you have to do is reset the PRAM. XLR8YourMac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/) has some good info on this too.

howard
Jun 15, 2003, 08:49 PM
so i tried out the little preliminary thing they had on that sight to check see if it worked and it did!!! holy crap this is amazing!!!...it says it'll go away as soon as i reboot...i'm might try the permanent one....wow this is so crazy.

Kwyjibo
Jun 15, 2003, 08:59 PM
yeah its well worth it,

Huked on Fonick
Jun 15, 2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Mlobo01
you can get higher resoultions only through a hack (found in macoshints.com) I would not take a chance on that, there is also an expanded desktop hack via Open Firmware (not if you have a rage video card) I tried the regular adapter on a 17inch monitor but the screen becomes smaller of course with the adapter that comes with the iBook.

where can iget the firmware hack to make in span??

Kwyjibo
Jun 15, 2003, 09:03 PM
the firmware hack is the one i mentioned, you boot into the open firmware via command option O F

www.macparts.de/ibook

Huked on Fonick
Jun 15, 2003, 09:51 PM
thanks it works!!

Kwyjibo
Jun 15, 2003, 09:56 PM
why did you start a new thread? Glad it worked.

Huked on Fonick
Jun 15, 2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
why did you start a new thread? Glad it worked.

this one is a slightly different topic,,,, i duno