PDA

View Full Version : And there's one more thing...????

ghall
Jan 9, 2007, 01:08 PM
My favorite part of Stevenotes are the "One More Thing"s. I'm so depressed now.

~Shard~
Jan 9, 2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah, it doesn't look like we're getting one this year... :(

ipedro
Jan 9, 2007, 01:11 PM
No Leopard? No iLife? No iWork? Macs? MacWorld??

I'm impressed with the iPhone and heard what I expected about the Apple TV (the name isn't original, seems like a work in progress) but I was looking forward to hearing all the Top Secret Leopard features and improvements to iWeb.

ThunderLounge
Jan 9, 2007, 01:12 PM
Is this a gadget expo, or what?

Not that the iPhone isn't pretty snazzy, although cingular can bite me (and sprint too), but where's the computers? Not a single mention?

[ B. S. ]
|
|
|
|
|
---------

There. Flags raised.

xsedrinam
Jan 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm surprised there was nothing on Leopard. Thought for sure that would be tucked into the "one more thing".

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jan 9, 2007, 01:14 PM

Yea, that is very strange. They better have something planned for 2 weeks or early February. Maybe it had something to do with CES being at the same time. Maybe they wanted to make a "splash".

Rob0
Jan 9, 2007, 01:15 PM
9:18 am we're only talking about the mac today

So what happened?

EGT
Jan 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
My gosh. No Leopard, iWork, iLife, or computer updates! :eek:

As great as the Apple TV and iPod phone are, I thought there would have been more.

In saying that, ol' Stevie won't be long in letting us know when they're on the way.

ghall
So what happened?

I don't know. The iPhone and the Mac TV is amazing, but somehow this keynote left me wanting.....more.

Manzana
Not that the iPhone isn't pretty snazzy, although cingular can bite me (and sprint too), but where's the computers? Not a single mention?

[ B. S. ]
|
|
|
|
|
---------

so true, I wanted a computer announcement...anything, even a speed bump or an official tiger release date.

danny_w
Jan 9, 2007, 01:18 PM

Didn't you notice the name change? There is no more "Apple Computer, Inc", only "Apple, Inc". What does that say about their priorities?

Crashmaster007
Jan 9, 2007, 01:19 PM
Maybe the release of the software, except 10.5, will be quieter that normal because of the phone and what not. The keynote was already 2 hours long...

~Shard~
Jan 9, 2007, 01:20 PM
So what happened?

It was a typo - it was supposed to read not talking about the Mac. :cool:

mustard
Jan 9, 2007, 01:21 PM
There was one more thing - just not mentioned (New AirPort Express)

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

miloblithe
Jan 9, 2007, 01:22 PM
Well, Tiger's not ready for release, so talking about it isn't nearly as interesting as the iPhone, which judging by Apple's stock today was a hit. Any computer updates are probably incremental, and I guess iLife and iWork aren't ready yet either.

Otherwise, expect another event soon!

ghall
Jan 9, 2007, 01:23 PM
Didn't you notice the name change? There is no more "Apple Computer, Inc", only "Apple, Inc". What does that say about their priorities?

Some how, I am saddened by this news. I just hope this dosen't mean that the quality of their computers will wane.

jhero
Jan 9, 2007, 01:29 PM
I guess all mac stuff comes at WWDC :/

dextertangocci
Jan 9, 2007, 01:51 PM
I was surprised. I thought the one more thing was going to be Leopard. Only 3 new products were anounced at MWSF:( What about te Macs? It's meant to be MACworld:rolleyes:

danny_w
Jan 9, 2007, 02:00 PM
I think Steve announced the "one last thing" and everybody missed it. The company name changed from "Apple Computer, Inc." to "Apple, Inc". Get ready for more keynotes like this one where the entertainment devices are center stage, and the computers, if mentioned at all, are an also-ran. Apple has been in the process of reforming themselves for years and people refused to notice. Well, that time is here, for good or bad. I think we all need to get used to the fact that Mac computers are now nothing more than generic pc boxes with a little Apple "polish" on the outside. They are no longer big business at Apple.

EDIT: That, to me, makes this a very sad day for Apple the computer innovator. I wish I had known them back in the old days, but I bought my first Mac less than 2 years ago (the initial Mac Mini G4). Ah well...

apfhex
Jan 9, 2007, 02:01 PM
Well, Tiger's not ready for release, so talking about it isn't nearly as interesting as the iPhone, which judging by Apple's stock today was a hit.
You mean Leopard. However, the iPhone isn't ready for release either. Well, maybe it is, but the FCC needs to approve it. June. Probably after Leopard is already out.

I didn't know what was going to be "one more thing", but I definitely expected Leopard to be the FIRST THING HE TALKED ABOUT, if not 8-core Mac Pros or something. I could care less about some unexciting hardware updates though, I just wanted to hear about the software! The iPhone and TV are cool and all, but I've no interest in buying them right now. Disappointing.

millar876
Jan 9, 2007, 02:02 PM
i predict a one mor thing event soon,

and leopards relase some time very closely after vista home is out to the public (or home professional extreme or whatever version is for regular punters)

backtothefuture
Jan 9, 2007, 02:09 PM
Three "new" products released:
AppleTV- which we knew of
iPhone- unless you live under a rock, you knew of
Airport Extreme- thats...nice

The Keynote was disappointing. The iPhone is amazing, with all the fancy new technologies in it. However, it is a. Horribly expensive (wasnt it weird how Steve talked about how expensive other smart phones are, when the iPhone is priced higher? 4g for 499?) and b. Not even ready for release yet. It would have been a much better idea to keep the rumors and fans waiting for the actual iPhone to be released, and focus this Keynote on updated products- iLife, iWork, my damn full screen true video iPod I have been waiting a year for, Leopard sneak peaks, etc.. The most disappointing thing is that there wasnt anything introduced that is available right now, that I want right now. It was an empty Keynote.

IEatApples
Jan 9, 2007, 02:34 PM
:confused: Where the ****** are the Macs? :confused:

Moo-Boo
Jan 9, 2007, 05:23 PM
I can't believe I lost one night's sleep for this...THIS!! No Leopard, no 12" MacBook Pro or ModBook, just stuff I can't have. The iPhone won't be available down here in Australia I believe until 2008! The name change from Apple Computer Inc. to Apple Inc. also rang an ominous note. The future could indeed be quite a bleak place for the Mac faithful...

dancertom3
Jan 9, 2007, 07:00 PM
I think Steve announced the "one last thing" and everybody missed it. The company name changed from "Apple Computer, Inc." to "Apple, Inc". Get ready for more keynotes like this one where the entertainment devices are center stage, and the computers, if mentioned at all, are an also-ran. Apple has been in the process of reforming themselves for years and people refused to notice. Well, that time is here, for good or bad. I think we all need to get used to the fact that Mac computers are now nothing more than generic pc boxes with a little Apple "polish" on the outside. They are no longer big business at Apple.

Well if this is true I think that Apple's making a big mistake. This year I will be making the switch to a MBP from a PC. That's right. I haven't even SWITCHED YET, and now all this talk about Apple Comp Inc becoming Apple Inc. is making me doubt my decision. I'm not making the switch so I can have my $3,500 computer be one of their lesser priorities...

skubish
Jan 9, 2007, 07:00 PM
I can't believe I lost one night's sleep for this...THIS!! No Leopard, no 12" MacBook Pro or ModBook, just stuff I can't have. The iPhone won't be available down here in Australia I believe until 2008! The name change from Apple Computer Inc. to Apple Inc. also rang an ominous note. The future could indeed be quite a bleak place for the Mac faithful...

I thought this was Macworld not iWorld.:mad:

ThunderLounge
Jan 9, 2007, 07:44 PM
No, no... didn't miss the name change. ;)

I am very disappointed in this keynote.

The iPhone rocks as a device, but the carrier is ballzack. (I've seen how cingular treats an $80k a year account, so if I spend even $2k a year, I can't imagine how horrible that would be.) Either way, as mentioned, we knew about it coming at some point.

The iTV was announced last fall, and nothing new about it here really.

So the only big announcement was Apple Inc.

/me

I don't necessarily see it as the doom and destruction of Macs. That would be the most retarded idea I've seen recently. OK, almost ever.

I see it as a move to:

a) Shorten the name

b) Even though they're already known as just "Apple", now it's "official".

Examples:

"I'm going to the Apple store."

Not: "I'm going to the Apple Computer store".

"I was surfing the Apple store."

Not: "I was surfing the Apple Computer store."

"The Apple store for Education."

Not: "The Apple Computer store for Education."

See where I'm going with this?

This is merely putting what's already common place in writing.

Then again, maybe not.

Moo-Boo
Jan 10, 2007, 04:43 AM

Very eloquent indeed. I agree implicitly.

mkjj
Jan 10, 2007, 05:30 AM
The name change from Apple Computer Inc. to Apple Inc. also rang an ominous note. The future could indeed be quite a bleak place for the Mac faithful...

Don't panic guys, the name now reflects the business. They still need to produce Macs to tie it all together, without the Macs they whole thing falls apart!

smueboy
Jan 10, 2007, 05:50 AM

Leopard will come, iLife will come, and the mac faithful will keep buying macs whether they like the new gadgets or not. Apple Inc. it may be, but i still like Apple more for their computers.

mashkina
Jan 10, 2007, 06:08 AM
The iPhone, despite its ugly name, is one the most amazing things ever produced in the computer industry. It looks like the idea is totally intuitive and straightforward. But, why didn't anybody else come up with it? What makes me feel that this device is a real breakthrough is that it is a real computer!! (despite Apple removing it from its name) with a fascinating new iterface on a small design piece, and not not anymore a closed numb iPod. What sucks is price, but la lower price would make the iPod overpriced, and Steve doesn't want that. :D

Folks. I don't understand all that stress about updates on Macs. :confused: They were updated on sept/oct with the latest tech. January is too soon for a new update. We all knew that.

Zune is dead. God save Zune.

islandman
Jan 10, 2007, 06:31 AM
I think the iPhone and Apple TV were enough for this time. Apple also released some things silently (new Airports). Maybe we will get what we want sooner than we think.

weev
Jan 10, 2007, 06:37 AM

[ B. S. ]
|
|
|
|
|
---------

There. Flags raised.

Apple Computers Inc. has now become just Apple Inc.

Hmmm, is there a pattern forming?

Hashton
Jan 10, 2007, 06:44 AM
Folks I really feel disappointed of some of you, you keep on "whining" about the small product line presentation (oooh no iLife,Leopard etc.), None of you are looking at the big picture!

Firstly Apple Inc. doesn't want to bombard the whole world with innovations hidden up their sleeve (for instance, thats what happened with Mac Cube AKA Mac Mini, it was introduced too early).

Secondly if Apple Inc. is going to show all their secrets on Macworld that is broadcasted on the Net all around the World, by the way which is watched by their competitors as well, they give them (competitors) the head start and open up the possibilities to challenge their niche market... In simple words "you should be afraid of the enemy, that you do not know or what he is capable of"

Thus you guys don't know a **** about how to own and evolve your business, to create the head-to-head competition with "Titans" of today's world!

Peace out...

Hashton
Jan 10, 2007, 06:58 AM
Apple Computers Inc. has now become just Apple Inc.

Hmmm, is there a pattern forming?

P.S. and Yes there is a pattern forming indeed, the electronical and entertainment market infiltration (TV, Media, Computers, Cellphones, etc.), since Apple Inc. is a partner with Samsung (Apple Inc. has a few shares in Samsung and has build up a chip-set manufacturing plant for them, investing roughly 170 million U.S. Dollars into their bussiness) and is a partner with many others (like Cingular, Paramount, Disney and Universal), it would be appropriate to hit upon the idea, that the coalition of businesses united and "led" by Apple Inc. can change the stagnating technological world to a better tomorrow...

And by the way I'm not an Apple fanboy I just like to go against the rules and the system, thats what Apple does and does future...

Play Ultimate
Jan 10, 2007, 07:00 AM
Folks I really feel disappointed of some of you, you keep on "whining" about the small product line presentation (oooh no iLife,Leopard etc.), None of you are looking at the big picture!

Firstly Apple Inc. doesn't want to bombard the whole world with innovations hidden up their sleeve (for instance, thats what happened with Mac Cube AKA Mac Mini, it was introduced too early).

Secondly if Apple Inc. is going to show all their secrets on Macworld that is broadcasted on the Net all around the World, by the way which is watched by their competitors as well, they give them (competitors) the head start and open up the possibilities to challenge their niche market... In simple words "you should be afraid of the enemy, that you do not know or what he is capable of"

Thus you guys don't know a **** about how to own and evolve your business, to create the head-to-head competition with "Titans" of today's world!

Peace out...

My thoughts exactly.

The iPhone and aTV both need some computing device. Further, the iPhone looks more and more like a pocket computer than a phone. The SMS is basically iChat. Address Book, Calendar etc. all live on your Mac and synch with the iPhone. Having Safari and Widgets further enhances the Mac experience.

Also, Apple is not leaving the computer industry; they make too much money in it to walk away. The name change is nothing more than that.

Hashton
Jan 10, 2007, 07:08 AM
Great that we agree on that "Play Ultimate" *smiles*

peharri
Jan 10, 2007, 07:31 AM

I'm impressed with the iPhone and heard what I expected about the Apple TV (the name isn't original, seems like a work in progress) but I was looking forward to hearing all the Top Secret Leopard features and improvements to iWeb.

And no Leopard means one thing: It's delayed until after WWDC.

If anyone doubts this, ask yourselves two questions:

1. Is Leopard going to be released before Steve demos it?
2. Is Leopard going to be demo'd at a one-off event comprised of journalists and industry people, or is it going to be demo'd in front of Mac people (developers, Mac journalists, other similar groups) who have enough contextual information to understand what they're seeing?

Q: When is the next event comprising of the latter group of people?

A: WWDC

redwin11
Jan 10, 2007, 07:57 AM
And no Leopard means one thing: It's delayed until after WWDC.

If anyone doubts this, ask yourselves two questions:

1. Is Leopard going to be released before Steve demos it?
2. Is Leopard going to be demo'd at a one-off event comprised of journalists and industry people, or is it going to be demo'd in front of Mac people (developers, Mac journalists, other similar groups) who have enough contextual information to understand what they're seeing?

Q: When is the next event comprising of the latter group of people?

A: WWDC

Of course it was disappointing not to see a preview of Leopard, but you can't gripe about the release date - it comes out when it's ready, even if that means after WWDC. The same goes for iLife, iWork 07, etc - when they're ready, they'll get released.

The only annoying thing is that there was no software on show yesterday to whet our appetite. Even Office '08 got a mention and that's some way away.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone looks very special and was worth the billing, but something to put Vista in the shade would have been great.

rams
Jan 10, 2007, 08:03 AM
i've got a theory about the missing one more thing.
with that theory all makes a bit more sense :)

it's about Apple Inc. This Keynote was about Apple Inc. There's one more thing coming as a whole keynote in a few weeks. Apple will focus there fully on Leopard and the new ILife. Why should they do this?
I think Steve and his team wanted to clearify: Hey we are not Apple Computers anymore. We are now Apple Inc. and we can make a whole keynote without talking about macs just to prove that.

so if you think i'm right: PREPARE FOR ANOTHER KEYNOTE, VERY SOON! :)=

ah why soon? This part of the theory is not so rock solid. I think they should do this soon, because if they don't, people might be very pissed off. (Oh me as well)

what do you think? anyone with me?

Hls811
Jan 10, 2007, 08:11 AM
I don't necessarily see it as the doom and destruction of Macs. That would be the most retarded idea I've seen recently. OK, almost ever.

I see it as a move to:

a) Shorten the name

b) Even though they're already known as just "Apple", now it's "official".

Examples:

"I'm going to the Apple store."

Not: "I'm going to the Apple Computer store".

"I was surfing the Apple store."

Not: "I was surfing the Apple Computer store."

"The Apple store for Education."

Not: "The Apple Computer store for Education."

See where I'm going with this?

This is merely putting what's already common place in writing.

Then again, maybe not.

I think the change is more significant that just the way you say its common place..

People don't order a Coca-Cola, they order a coke...

People don't say "I'm going to Barnes and Nobles Booksellers", they say "Barnes and Nobles"

People don't say "I have a Toyota Motors Camry - they have a Toyota Camry...

The shorter name has nothing to do with it:
From the AP:

"The next phase of Apple's plan to reinvent itself as a consumer electronics company was unveiled Tuesday by Apple CEO Steve Jobs"

and

"The company is even getting a name change -- from Apple Computer Inc. to just Apple Inc. -- to better reflect its transition to a full-scale consumer electronics manufacturer and retailer."

It makes absolute sense... the iPod is as much a 'computer' as the iPhone is.. they make consumer electronics - which happens to include a line of computers.

ero87
Jan 10, 2007, 09:02 AM
So what happened?

he said this: ""2007 is gonna be a great year for the mac, but this is all we're gonna talk about the mac today" (referring to the last 5 minutes.) "Over the course of the next several months, we're gonna release some awesome stuff for the mac.. But for today, we're gonna move on..."

Arcus
Jan 10, 2007, 09:19 AM
Well if this is true I think that Apple's making a big mistake. This year I will be making the switch to a MBP from a PC. That's right. I haven't even SWITCHED YET, and now all this talk about Apple Comp Inc becoming Apple Inc. is making me doubt my decision. I'm not making the switch so I can have my $3,500 computer be one of their lesser priorities...

You are kidding right? You are not buying a computer becuse they dropped the "Computer" part of thier name?

I hear "Hay I just bought an Apple computer !" > "Hey I just bought an Apple Computer computer"

Ugh..Silliness.

BUK
Jan 10, 2007, 09:30 AM
I think that the biggest hidded gem is the multi-finger touch sensitive screen. I've seen the technology demo'd at some technology preview forum, but not in a mainstream product. I think that this portends a paradigm shift for workstations in general.

I'm an artist by trade, have been digital since '84 but have missed the old drawing board since then. I want a touch sensitive screen with no lag in the form of a traditional drawing board, that I can use a stylus and my near atrophied left hand interactively. I want to move the "paper" and draw at the same time like in the real world. A nice 42" "DIGITABLE" with legs or a stand to keep it ata drawing angle woud do nicely. It could mimic any and all things like audio mixing boards, film editing etc. Once I got the 24" iMac I could see how close we are. But, this multi-touch sensitive screen stuff just makes me drool. Maybe that what Jobs has up his sleeve.

Hashton
Jan 10, 2007, 09:58 AM
Agree on that BUK!

I presume there is more hidden beneath this touchscreen technology the whole new line of Apple Computers (including desktop computers, macbooks, ipods, pda's), there is a rumor that Thee Newton is going to be released within a half year, with a touchscreen only (and Newton was The Bomb back in the day, some of the features of that product were not developed by other PDA producers up until 2000ish)

Laptops with the touchscreens instead of the keyboards, this reminds me of "The Minority Report" (mentioned in another thread as well), can you imagine the possibilities...only thing I gotta say is....WoW!

ThunderLounge
Jan 10, 2007, 11:28 AM

Peace out...

Peace in...

Firstly, how is a mention of something already known about giving away any company secrets? It ain't.

Secondly, I DO own my own business, and I do very well for myself, thank you.

Thirdly, since Leopard was already demonstrated at WWDC back in August, it is absolutely not out of the question to at least expect an update as to its progress.

iLife, Leopard, and a few other tidbits are far from up any sleeve in general. A couple notes about it, even if it was merely 5 minutes to warm up the crowd, wouldn't hurt anything.

I think you can take your newbie peace out, attitude, and the rest of ya and go live in the real world where you don't know a **** about manners.

/rant to a jackass.

Sorry to the rest. Had to do it.

dernhelm
Jan 10, 2007, 11:52 AM

Chin up. At least is wasn't eWorld... ;)

Hashton
Jan 10, 2007, 11:59 AM
Peace in...

Firstly, how is a mention of something already known about giving away any company secrets? It ain't.

Secondly, I DO own my own business, and I do very well for myself, thank you.

Thirdly, since Leopard was already demonstrated at WWDC back in August, it is absolutely not out of the question to at least expect an update as to its progress.

iLife, Leopard, and a few other tidbits are far from up any sleeve in general. A couple notes about it, even if it was merely 5 minutes to warm up the crowd, wouldn't hurt anything.

I think you can take your newbie peace out, attitude, and the rest of ya and go live in the real world where you don't know a **** about manners.

/rant to a jackass.

Sorry to the rest. Had to do it.

Its funny how people tend to answer on the last phrases in the commenter's post. Attitude, manners, try to read my posts, that follow up the one that quoted (Do you know the definition of the word Peace? or the actual phrase "Peace out"? to call it the attitude)

Well the secret that is not known, how does that sound to you?

Firstly, if you own the business Good for you and if it brings you any money even better. What I spoke of is related to the posts seen in this thread, that state pointless negative comments, either about apple or presentation and I just joined this forum, cause I can't stand retarded remarks...

Secondly, all the things I sad is to be true and if you speak of iLife and Leopard, well it is known for the matter of fact (even though not fully..), so why the hell do you wanna see it in Macworld in the first place, I spoke of the new technological change and not the actual existing software, you were so thrilled to "try" to insult me, when I wasn't trying at all fella...

I'm excited about the "upcoming" of this year and lots of people including you do really "whine" about small product line presentation, wihtout Leopard, iLife and new Computers, at Macworld.

I guess that only a few defending something that might make our lifes more efficient and entertaining in the near future, by using ergonomic devices for god sake, all you trying to do is to defend those that want to get it at this very moment and yourself as well for rushing so hard.

How can a Pioneer in Computing Industry, which has a small market share prevail? The answer is bit by bit, its better not to show all the aces on the table, so take it slow..."The future is bright, the future is orange" haha

My Point is don't say crap about a Company that does History and your consumer "needs" will be fulfilled very, very soon...period

Peace out, oh wait I should say "Good night lad have a great tea party"

Hls811
Jan 11, 2007, 08:08 AM

Hopefully, you're current PC isnt' a Dell - cause if you recall, they changed also dropped 'Computer' from their name years ago..", so obviously thier priorities must've changed.

And I guess your PC isn't an HP either, because I don't think they ever had 'Computers' as part of thier name. Compaq, maybe - but since they are now part of HP - guess you'll rule them out too.

And it definately wouldn't be a Sony - cause they do so many things I don't know if they have a highest priority, and I bet computers isn't it.

AndyR
Jan 11, 2007, 09:20 AM
What about that patent that Apple filed for effectivly a laptop with a touchscreen where the keyboard was and have it change to suit the app? Maybe this is how Apple will be going when Steve mentioned "we are going to do some awesome things to the mac..."

Imagine having a keyboard in one app, mixing decks in another, drawing tablet in the next. :eek:

stefanski
Jan 11, 2007, 11:55 PM
Well, they better come up with another MAC related announcement soon. I mean a phone is nice and certainly had to be introduced now. But wasting the best part of the keynote on it? Let's put this into perspective. They are going to sell the phone in June and only in the US. With a "fantastic" partnership with Cingular. Are you kidding me? Did you watch the CEO guy losing himself explaining how AT&T split, merged, mixed and Cingular merged and now they'll all going to merge yet again? Gimme a break, man!!! What was he thinking? I was looking for the fast forward button! Mind you, no CEO has so far had a chance keeping up with Steve. He's just a brilliant speaker.

The rest of the world is not going to see the phone anytime soon but the rest of the world is waiting for some exciting Apple products! What is this? A US-only entertainment company?

- iPhone (not available outside US)
- new movies (not available outside US)
- new TVshows (not available outside US)
- AppleTV available worldwide soon but what for? There is no content for this outside the US!I can probably spend hours converting my own movies into iTunes but why would I do this??

Geez, this is frustrating. A phone that doesn't even have a decent data connection when it's not hooked up to wireless. No 3G, no HSCSD. 5 years ahead of any other phone? I don't think so. If this phone doesn't have a decent high speed data service when it's released in Europe and Asia, then it will flop. Especially in places like Japan/Singapore/Taiwan. By 2008 these countries will have moved way beyond these old technologies. Yes, Steve mentioned that they are looking into other protocols, but they should have put it in there first thing. All the features he demonstrated used wireless. Anything else would have been impossible. Try loading Google Map while you're on your way using GSM...

The phone is nice looking, has OSX which is just about the only reason why everybody should buy one immediately. :)

Ah, I'm done. Feeling much better now

Hashton
Jan 12, 2007, 02:02 AM
Well, they better come up with another MAC related announcement soon. I mean a phone is nice and certainly had to be introduced now. But wasting the best part of the keynote on it? Let's put this into perspective. They are going to sell the phone in June and only in the US. With a "fantastic" partnership with Cingular. Are you kidding me? Did you watch the CEO guy losing himself explaining how AT&T split, merged, mixed and Cingular merged and now they'll all going to merge yet again? Gimme a break, man!!! What was he thinking? I was looking for the fast forward button! Mind you, no CEO has so far had a chance keeping up with Steve. He's just a brilliant speaker.

The rest of the world is not going to see the phone anytime soon but the rest of the world is waiting for some exciting Apple products! What is this? A US-only entertainment company?

- iPhone (not available outside US)
- new movies (not available outside US)
- new TVshows (not available outside US)
- AppleTV available worldwide soon but what for? There is no content for this outside the US!I can probably spend hours converting my own movies into iTunes but why would I do this??

Geez, this is frustrating. A phone that doesn't even have a decent data connection when it's not hooked up to wireless. No 3G, no HSCSD. 5 years ahead of any other phone? I don't think so. If this phone doesn't have a decent high speed data service when it's released in Europe and Asia, then it will flop. Especially in places like Japan/Singapore/Taiwan. By 2008 these countries will have moved way beyond these old technologies. Yes, Steve mentioned that they are looking into other protocols, but they should have put it in there first thing. All the features he demonstrated used wireless. Anything else would have been impossible. Try loading Google Map while you're on your way using GSM...

The phone is nice looking, has OSX which is just about the only reason why everybody should buy one immediately.

Ah, I'm done. Feeling much better now

Agree on most of it, The Cingular CEO totally lost it there, he didn't even know what he was talking about, totally blew it (just forwarded the whole speech of the Cingular), didn't like this Macworld myself.

I believe that Apple will release new products in like couple of months from now, during spring.

The point of the only introduction of the iPhone and no intro of the other products in development was to increase the share price, to create some kind of disturbance in the air, even if the iPhone is going to be released in June and in U.S. the expectations of new products are almost at the highest peek right now, all that buzz and rumors, brings popularity to Apple Inc., hell I even heard about iPhone on some crappy "Retro" Radio Station.

Thus as they did it previously a few months after the Expo/Macworld they released either the update of the exisiting product line, or a totally new stuff.

Speaking of the iPhone usability, as I sad previously, the "release" in U.S. and using EDGE instead of 3G is just a market testing, same as Microsoft "tries" (but fails to do) with Zune.

P.S. IF you really want the iPhone you can get it in April, just gotta know the right people, for the right price *smiles* or if you wanna have it now, you can craft one yourself go to http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/apple-iphone-papercraft-model-227902.php hehe

MrTed
Jan 12, 2007, 03:00 AM
Ok, I think it's time for me to start another "Should I buy a macpro now ? " thread ....

ftrtrk
Jan 12, 2007, 03:01 AM
This forum is out of control. OMG! Leopard wasn't released! Please. Stop your GD whining.

and GSM isn't that slow. I don't you who of you has used it, but it works fine. I have a sony erricson w600i and I've used it plenty of times to access google maps over the cingular data net.

iphone is sick. I put 600 dollars away for it. however, some stuff apple needs to develop:

-Bluetooth keyboard and word processing
-Ability to play music + answer calls Bluetooth (imuffs anyone?)
-Voice Dailing
-wireless (at least wifi) iTunes download
-wireless (bluetooth or wifi) syncing
-fast functionality*

* the only multitask Jobs showed off was a live call + e-mail. What about web borawing and music? Music and widgets? Music and texting?

Hashton
Jan 12, 2007, 03:08 AM
lol agree on that also, I live in europe myself and GSM just works fine for me and Edge is not too shabby either, the point is that it would be available to the other Cell Phone Providers, after market testing

wisredz
Jan 16, 2007, 07:43 AM
I can't believe all of these people are just whining about no news about Leopard and the name change etc.

Apple will definitely continue making Macs that's what comes to mind when people say Apple and Steve said he was really pleased with the way Macs are selling. He said that over 50 percent of Mac buyers from anyone in the world are switchers. That means they are selling a lot of Macs and there's no reason why they should stop earning money by not selling them, when they earn a lot from them.

It's just amazing people are ranting at Apple, I have seen some ridiculous ideas about opening a "should I get a Mac Pro?" thread. Come on guy, if it works for you go get it, Apple will definitely not let go on the Mac. Apart from being one with their computers, Apple did invest a lot of money for making the switch from PPC to Intel. Come on guys, only one year has passed since thw switch.

Apple is a big company and Steve and other people who work there definitely know what they are doing. I find it childish when people start ranting in forums when they don't get what they want.

I've read the old posts when iPods were introduced and a lot of people were writing "what was Steve thinking?!" Now what? They have 62% of the market share. The same thing happened with the switch to Intel. "What was Steve thinking?!" posts all over... Now what? They are getting a bigger market share by the day. Has they ever stopped making the best OS even better in the process? No.

PS: Don't take anything personally. It's just the attitude of a lot of mac users.

IEatApples
Jan 16, 2007, 03:40 PM
You're right wisredz.

I was only disappointed because I had to order right after the MacWorld, and I was hoping for something new, but I'm happy again... Now that I've ordered my new C2D 20" iMac. ;)